Rexyfollower0

How You Got Your PS5 Story

132 posts in this topic

I managed to nab a pre-order from Games website, but had to check out on a guest account because the site was being rammed so hard I couldn't log in. After 4 days I still hadn't received a confirmation email so I was getting worried. 

Weirdly that night I happened to be on Amazon at like, 3am when they came in stock (the joys of having a 6 month old baby folks!) and got one of those as well. 

I actually held on to both as I was waiting for Game to cancel on me, but neither of them did. Launch day arrived and I ended up with two PS5's I sold one of them to a work friend for retail price and he was verrrrrry grateful. 

I was incredibly lucky to manage to get one, let alone two. I think I've used up my chance of ever winning the lottery on that though!

Posted (edited)

I was one of the one's that was blessed and got the email directly from Sony.  I have happily had mine since launch. They sent me an email with a link to a secret page that was only accessible by that link. I clicked it and bought a PS5, the charger station and Spider Man Miles Morales . 

Edited by sealightbreeze

I managed to preorder mine on Friday 18th September. I had been at work on the 17th when the preorders initially dropped on Amazon and I was absolutely gutted when my friend told me he'd managed to snag one. On my lunch break I saw a post go up on Twitter stating that Argos would be getting stock at 12pm. I stayed up until around 1am with my girlfriend but ultimately we had no luck and it didn't appear the units had gone live as stated. Rumours were starting to float around that Argos was now getting stock at 7am so I set an alarm for 6am and went to sleep. My Dad came through with the save of the year, he came to wake me up at 5am saying that Argos had stock and sure enough they did. I ordered mine and immediately rang my friend (not sure he appreciated the 5am wake up) sadly he acted too slowly and they were sold out, just goes to show if I had waited on my 6am alarm call I'd have missed out. I went into work and booked a week off from the 19th and started preparing for the Godly PS5 week... This was going to be biblical, the first time in my life I had managed to get a Playstation on launch, and 7 amazing days of junk food, gaming, trophies and relaxation...

And it fell flat in a big way. Unlike others my PS5 was fine but the brand new TV I had brought a week earlier decided to break just a few hours into PS5 action. I had managed to show my Dad about an hour of Astro Bot, and two hours of Spider-Man Miles Morales when something strange happened whilst downloading Bugsnax. The screen started flickering and eventually a static line would persist before eventually I wouldn't even be able to turn the unit on or off (I'll include a picture). This started a grueling month long process of waiting for a replacement TV to be sent out (a frustratingly long time to wait but given the pandemic, completely understandable.) I didn't really start to properly 'enjoy' my PS5 until late December when I finally got up and running on my new TV. I tried to enjoy it on my replacement TV but I just felt so disappointed and in the end I just put everything into my working life instead. However, hard work pays dividends and I was able to take some more time off when my new TV arrived and I'm now a solid few months into owning a PS5 and loving every moment.

MMsieuD.jpg

Three hours of gorgeous 4K PS5 gameplay were managed before the TV decided enough was enough.

I do not have mine yet however I will be a proud owner of a PS5 before the end of next month, there is a store in my town called Cash Generators, it's basically a pawn shop but at the end of last year they were given permission to be a retailer for Sony, I know the people there well and they informed me of this and I instantly put my name down, I got the call about it in the middle of last month and I have currently paid off £250 of the £450 needed.

They allow you to put a 20% deposit down then you have 12 weeks to pay the rest. Will be trading my PS4 Pro in once I'm close enough to finishing.

I knew the announcement was going to happen at the PlayStation event, but they also told us we will have time to pre order the console so I thought nothing of it. During this event, was the time I had to drive 13 hours to where my girlfriend lived at the time to stay with her for a week long getaway. I was about 6 hours away from her when the event ended. I got on twitter to see people were pre ordering the console and was freaking out. I called my dad and told him because he wanted one as well, and I also called my girlfriend. 

She went to a gamestop that closed right as she got there, and then immediately to a nearby one in the mall that said they were sold out. My dad called me to laugh at me saying he was able to get 2 consoles thanks to me. I assumed one was for me (his son of 24 years) but he got the other one for his new girlfriends son who is a annoying 14 year old boy who he just met. (I was LIVID, and the two arent dating anymore so there is that)

At this point I lost all hope, and I was now 3 hours away from my girlfriend. I put "gamestop" in my GPS randomly, and saw there was one less than 2 minutes away. (Literally the next exit) It was in the middle of nowhere and cars were filling up the parking lot. I got out of my jeep and went inside to pre order the consoles and she let me pre order one of each console. The next day I got two more pre ordered (one under my girls name and one on mine) at the gamestop that closed as she got there. I also ended up snagging one on walmart a week or so later to be safe. When it was all said and done, I kept one of each console for myself. I gave the other digital one to my girlfriend, and donated the other 2 to a hospital.

FUN FACT: At the hospital where I donated both consoles, one of the nurses kept trying to buy one off of me for her husband. I refused as they were for the kids. The following week two more employees were fired from said hospital for playing on the consoles with each other for 3 hours straight, and not letting any of the patients play. Instead they set up Xbox 360 consoles for them. (True story)

I wasn't awake at 3 in the morning or whenever it was that pre-orders went live following Sony's announcing the PS5 back last fall. From launch-day onwards, whenever my computer was on I had stockinformer.com's PS5 page up, with a siren going off whenever the console came into stock. I think I set up accounts with every major online retailer listed there. I also followed stockinformer.com on telegram for push notification. I missed many drops from the major retailers. 

One day in Feb 2021, the siren went off, and it was for a site I'd never heard of called "eBuyer". They were taking pre-orders for a stock allocation, and to get around bots you had to email them to reserve one. So I emailed them as fast as I could and assumed that I had missed out. A week later, I got an email back saying that they could send me one, please could I make an account and confirm once I had done so, and they would place the PS5 in the "my orders" section of my account. I'd have to log back in to enter my address and payment details. It all went fine, and the PS5 was with me the next day. It was a little annoying that they allocated me a bundle with a second controller and a copy of MK11, but I was going to buy a second controller anyway (probably not MK11 though) and I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to buy one just for the sake of it being not quite the bundle I wanted. 

I got mine on December 10th. Just kidding, it's been delayed in shipping and I'm still waiting for it as it's stuck in some warehouse somewhere.

Posted (edited)

My story:

Sony announced the console. I went to GameStop that day. I preordered it. I picked up my console day one. The rest is history.

I feel so bad for everyone that had a hard time :(

Edited by Orenn16

This isn't intended to sound sarcastic but when UK pre-orders went live last year I simply went into the store and pre-ordered one and picked it up on launch day.

Bought it exactly one month ago. My aunt help me with the credit card and I've already paid the rest.

Here in Chile it still hard to find, I found it by pure chance: I was browsing different sites just checking if the PS5 was available, found one, told my aunt if she could buy it for me, cause I don't have a card in that particular store, she did it, I paid her in cash later, console arrived 3 days lates. 

I 'accidently' bought three.... I've been waiting since November to try and get one and eventually stumbled upon Discords and YouTube live streams for stock drops. My fiancé and I were watching every time a drop was due (me in the office, her whilst working from home). We eventually both got in the Game queue about a month ago with only a couple of minutes wait. We'd agreed that we'd both order one, even if one checked out before the other, and hope that at least one was delivered (two different payment cards, two different delivery addresses etc to try and avoid the security checks cancelling the order).

We both ordered one - she got a disc edition only, I got a disc bundle. Now, before you judge me for ordering two, my sister and her family have been desperately trying to get one since November too, but they both work in jobs where they can't watch for stock drops. Two days later, when the console arrived (still waiting on the bundle), I delivered it to them before my own (I know, selfless 👼).

Anyway... Then started a very long wait for mine... 10 days went by. No money had been taken from my account, no despatch email, nothing. I convinced myself the order had been cancelled as the billing address for the two cards we used was the same. As luck would have it, Amazon dropped the day after I decided it was cancelled. I got straight on it and successfully ordered a disc edition and it was delivered the next day. Thank God!

However... Then the Game bundle was despatched a day or two after that... Thankfully, I was able to sell it to a colleague for the retail price. They were very happy!

I joined a discord chat to let me know when they became available. Entered the ps direct queue twice with no luck. Same with Gamestop, Target, and Amazon.

Then I found that more ps5s would be coming to Wal Mart. So I made an account and prepared my purchase info. I then opened multiple tabs and clicked "add to cart" on each one, and waited on the "place order" screen. When the next wave of ps5s became available, (they released a few at a time to give people multiple chances to buy it), I clicked "place order".

Order confirmed. After a few days, the ps5 was delivered to my house and I set it up and started using it.

The End.

P.S: Hopefully when ps6 comes out there won't still be a pandemic and it'll be easier to buy after a few months.

The day they went up for pre order a friend of mine got me one as a christmas gift. Couple weeks before release when the shortage hit they out him on a waiting list and was going to refund him but he said no keep it and just mail it when it's ready. He got his a couple weeks after followed by one for a disabled vet getting his then mine gets delivered today. Side note when I went to pay him for it he said no it's a gift just cover shipping so I got a ps5 for the cost of shipping.

Posted (edited)

I wasn't interested at first and thought "hey, I'll buy one in two years"...

Then I got hyped following the games annoncements and bought mine on the release day.

I had a sleepless night I spent behind my computer, refreshing all of the French shopping websites that I knew would sell some units while watching The Office.

Most of them posted earlier about the time they'd put the units on sale. All of the websites crashed... it was crazy.

I finally focused on the only website which didn't post anything about the time they'd put the PS5 online... and I successfully bought mine at 10am sharp. :jaymon:

I was supposed to receive it the next day but the delivery guy didn't ring... so I got it on the 21th. B)

Edited by Byeler

3 hours ago, CraigyCX said:

MMsieuD.jpg

Three hours of gorgeous 4K PS5 gameplay were managed before the TV decided enough was enough.

What a mess. How can you play in such an enviroment? I clean my Consoles, TVs and Playroom daily.

11 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

What a mess. How can you play in such an enviroment? I clean my Consoles, TVs and Playroom daily.

This was literally just after the initial setup. Both TV and PS5 were new so I was keen to just get them plugged in and started. Plus the photo was taken just before I started disassembling the TV from my stand. My cable management is better normally I assure you. 

I signed up for the email notifications at a few retailer's websites. Never got any. The night before the day they said pre-orders were going to be available, I was in the bathroom scrolling through Facebook and saw an ad saying some places already had pre-orders available. So I quickly went to Best buys site and nabbed the last preorder for the disc version. I threw it in my cart, finished my bathroom business as quickly as I could, ran across my house to get my credit card info and majorly lucked out. Told my bf to get his done ASAP and he managed to get one through Walmart. 

By preordering on Amazon Canada. It arrived a day late. Kind of a shame I don't even use it every day...

Posted (edited)

I preordered it one year before release at Gamestop and picked it up at release.

Hope Netflix makes a show out of that epicness.

Edited by Yoey_666

Had mine since launch. For people in the UK I would strongly advise Argos. They are only allowing pay and collect to stop scalpers.

when I pre-ordered mine I was able to place it into my basket and I just refreshed every couple of minutes until it became available. Told my friend this before christmas and when they mentioned they were selling more he used the method and was able to get one.

I was sitting on my phone when I happened to get a notification from HotStock that the PS5 was in stock at Best Buy. I already had one in my cart (from a previous, failed attempt) so all I had to do was checkout. Only took about 2 minutes to do. Still can't believe it.

Got it delivered via curbside pick-up about a week later :D

Two weeks ago, I got an email from GameFly about a members only PS5 Spider-Man bundle offer and I accepted. I received everything last week and couldn’t be happier. So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. ^_^

Pre ordered with a friend from Japan. Couriered on the 12th of November, Was at my front doorstep in Australia the following Monday the 16th. The weekend was in the middle, DHL delivered it that quick.