How You Got Your PS5 Story

StreetWolf29

19 minutes ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

Yea but I assumed people would take a day off and there would have been a big crowd, a new console happens once a decade give or take. If CoD had midnight launches full of all ages I had thought the ps5 launch would have had some people lol.

I booked 2 days annual leave to get the 4 day weekend months in advance

Yeah you're right I guess, It's been a weird console release as a whole. I was so sure we wouldn't see it here in Australia that I bought it from Japan.

I watched the Sep 16 event live, and was kind of surprised they didn't mention the pre-order date.

I am a lurker of the gaming forum ResetEra, and I was reading people's reactions to the event while eating dinner. I noticed people talking about pre-orders, so I kept an eye out. 

Then someone posted in the "Canadian Deals" thread that Best Buy Canada had quietly opened pre-orders. So I went to their website and pre-ordered. There were no website issues at all. My PS5 arrived on the day of release.

It was pretty uneventful. I guess I got really lucky.

I had a really easy time getting my PS4 on day one as well. At the time, I worked at a store that sold them, so I just got the manager to save one for me.

I remember I watched the event on September 16th, but no pre-order date was announced which was odd. I'm pretty active on Twitter and so I saw rumblings from people like Geoff Keighley that preorders would go up the following day, the 17th, or even the same day, the 16th. Later that day I was finishing up some work for college when I noticed I got an email from Best Buy saying that preorders were up, and I rushed to every website I could. Luckily I had pretty much every website's ps5 page open. After about like 30 minutes of struggling, I managed to snag a bundle from GameStop, however, I was not super happy about that since I don't really trust GameStop personally, not to mention I'd prefer to avoid a bundle. Luckily, Walmart announced that the next day they would have another wave of preorders going up at a set time, something like 5 pm. So, I just waited until the preorders opened and I snagged one there. And honestly, I'm really glad I switched to Walmart for 2 reasons: 1) GameStop would charge me like $30 extra just to get the thing release week, while Walmart offered release day delivery for free, and 2) after all this, a couple of weeks later, despite me having "canceled" my GameStop order (I canceled it on their website but apparently it just hadn't actually canceled because that would make too much sense I guess), I got an email saying that the order was delayed indefinitely. My speculation is because the bundle included Destruction All-Stars which later got delayed, but regardless, I was lucky that I switched over to Walmart.

Overall, the entire thing was a huge mess, and I honestly wish it had been handled better so that more people could get consoles rather than scalpers hoarding them all. These websites need better ways of determining that it's an actual person making the order. Plus, not having some sort of queue or set time just leads to the websites crashing. But I was definitely very lucky, because a friend of mine struggled to get a ps5 for about a month before he was successful, and there are obviously people who are still struggling

A week exactly before Christmas, there was a queue. I have gotten on other queues before but was always late so I didn't think much of it. Well, this time, it actually let me thru so I placed the order on PS Direct. Nothing too crazy. My sister got one like that for her fiancee as well but hers, she got one literally the next day she made up her about getting him the console.

I signed up for a website (nowinstock.net) that alerts you whenever PS5s are in stock near you. I got a notification, thought I missed out, and got on my school bus. I was looking again on the Target website to see if it says whenever they will come back in stock. When I saw the yellow "order now" button I jumped on it so quickly. It said my order has been placed! That was the most stressful school day I've ever had because I didn't really know if it was mine or not. I got my mom to go pick it up (I'm not old enough to drive) and she picked me up with the PS5 in the car! Fun stuff. Never give up on getting it

So on the day of the direct I didn't even know about pre-orders being available early until late at night. I tried for four hours maybe a little more with no luck. I then tried refreshing the target app before work and it was available but by the time I reset password because I forgot it, it was gone. After work, I went grocery shopping still resetting the app page every second while shopping. No avail. I came home still refreshing the app while sitting in the restroom. There it was, the Target app showing it available. I spam add to cart, and it worked! But then they asked me to re-verify my debit card. I couldn't remember the info...So I rushed out with no pants on rushing trying to find my wallet, telling my wife "I need the wallet quick! I can't find it!" So we searched, me butt naked without caring because I was in such a rush to get this and hope to god I got it, and I did!

Come two days after release day, it arrives with fed-ex, and luckily I was watching out the patio, because he left it out where they put the mail, and didn't bother buzzing or knocking or anything! I picked it up and then quickly just opened it all giddy. I then spent the next four hours downloading all my Rock Band DLC xD

Edited by DawningWolf55

not that interesting but on launch day, i woke up early in the morning and spent hours at my pc waiting for it to go live and watching twitter search results for websites putting it up... i was trying to stay on the websites while i waited but they kept crashing... I saw somewhere say it went up on VERY, went on, ordered quickly and it was got.

AFTER 5 FREAKING MONTHS FIGHTING MOTHERFUCKING SCALPERS I FINALLY was able to secure a PS5 system for myself with Spider Man Miles Morales included... How? I tried to ask on a local gaming store if there was a possibility of any employee to order a PS5 for me so that I could pick it up physically from the store and the guy was able to do it. I am in fucking tears, it took 1 week to arrive and I will be picking my console tomorrow. 

I just hope nobody murders me while I leave the store to enter my vehicle. I also hope I do not die in a horrible car crash too, I have been waiting for this moment for too long. 

Please guys, DO NOT give up. I know you can do it too.  

Edited by fresquinho
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I work at a chain retail store that had PS5 bundles come in. I wanted one of those (as did about a couple hundred did) and they took people's names down. HQ decided that the first two rounds of PS5s that came in had to be given to randomized people on the list so that it was fair. When the third round of systems came in it was first come, first served. I didn't get one of the randomized wins but I did get the first PS5 that wasn't randomized. 

• Like 1

Read a few storys in here and mine is similar.

I watched the show where they announced the pre orders were going live the next day. I was still up playing some games with friends that night and i got an email from GAME UK saying the pre orders were live already (around 12-1am UK time) i immediately loaded the site and ordered a disc version of the console with no errors at all. It's funny because at first i was in 2 minds as to pre order it straight away or wait for a bit. Glad i was impulsive on that one considering how impossibly difficult it became to get one once i woke up the next day and realised just how lucky i was.

On 03/04/2021 at 4:47 PM, fresquinho said:

AFTER 5 FREAKING MONTHS FIGHTING MOTHERFUCKING SCALPERS I FINALLY was able to secure a PS5 system for myself with Spider Man Miles Morales included... How? I tried to ask on a local gaming store if there was a possibility of any employee to order a PS5 for me so that I could pick it up physically from the store and the guy was able to do it. I am in fucking tears, it took 1 week to arrive and I will be picking my console tomorrow. 

I just hope nobody murders me while I leave the store to enter my vehicle. I also hope I do not die in a horrible car crash too, I have been waiting for this moment for too long. 

Please guys, DO NOT give up. I know you can do it too.  

Congrats dude! Looking at the date you posted this you should have your PS5 by now, hope you're enjyoing it!

Was I the only person who just clicked preorder and was put straight through?? 

My mate was in the work van getting frustrated at somethin on his phone I asked what was up and he said he was trying to order a ps5 but kept being booted off. Just for shits n gigs I tried and it put me straight through, this was on curries website in August/september

Lucky me I guess :D

So my partner and I game, but we were going to wait til GTA6 came out to buy the PS5. His birthday was in Feb and I was struggling with something to get him. Decided I wanted to get the PS5 for him and a gaming tele. I’m still happy and have plenty to do on my PS4, so wasn’t bothered about getting myself one. 

Wow, I did not realise how much hard work that would be! I started late December. Joined many stock informer websites and groups dedicated to finding the illusive console. Did so many all nighters for nothing. 

Then I met a guy who showed me how to do what the scalpers are essentially doing! Within a day I had one for my partner from a GAME drop. Someone in the WhatsApp group I was in managed to get one too.. and when he told me about the console I started to get jealous. So on the next drop I bought one for myself too. After that, the rest of my WhatsApp group wanted help getting them so I’ve managed to sort all of them out from different drops (for RRP ofcourse!) and some nephews and friends children too. 

Still have a few people who want them but there have been no drops in the UK for weeks unfortunately! 

Can’t believe how difficult they are to get still. And really hope anyone who wants one is successful next drop! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VTR_2008 said:

Was I the only person who just clicked preorder and was put straight through?? 

My mate was in the work van getting frustrated at somethin on his phone I asked what was up and he said he was trying to order a ps5 but kept being booted off. Just for shits n gigs I tried and it put me straight through, this was on curries website in August/september

Lucky me I guess :D

It was hard but a bit easier in September, now it's nearly impossible to get a PLaystation 5.

Started trying to buy one mid-November. Managed to order one from Best Buy for pick up on Black Friday but the order was canceled minutes later. Knowing it could be after Christmas before I manage to order another I decided to use my PS5 funds on a 4K TV and wait until 2021 for a PS5. Started trying to order one again in January and didn't manage to successfully place a order until March 18th at Walmart. That was the day Amazon was supposed to release 46k consoles that morning so I pulled an all nighter. They didn't drop and I was about to go to bed when I heard Walmart would drop that day. So I decided to stay up and I actually managed to get one. Waited 3 weeks before it shipped and received it last week.

Edited by Sn1per666999

I preordered mine from a local Independent Electrical Retailer that sells Sony Equipment! They managed to get around 50 Consoles for launch day, so having paid a deposit to secure the console, I went in around midday and avoided the bedlam that had likely ensued when the store opened and picked it up without too much stress! Now all we need is some PS5 specific releases to show what the system is really capable of and I’ll be super happy! ?  

• Like 3

I was aware that they were going to announce it in the next day or two so I vaguely kept an eye out. I got up at 7:30am to get the kids ready for school, jumped on Facebook and saw my local gaming store was stocking them, so I consulted with my wife if I could get one, she said yes, I pre ordered it right then and there and I was done. Right place, right time scenario. Half an hour later they sold out worldwide so I got lucky.

Edited by DreddPirateRobb

1 hour ago, tonkie18 said:

So my partner and I game, but we were going to wait til GTA6 came out to buy the PS5. His birthday was in Feb and I was struggling with something to get him. Decided I wanted to get the PS5 for him and a gaming tele. I’m still happy and have plenty to do on my PS4, so wasn’t bothered about getting myself one. 

Wow, I did not realise how much hard work that would be! I started late December. Joined many stock informer websites and groups dedicated to finding the illusive console. Did so many all nighters for nothing. 

Then I met a guy who showed me how to do what the scalpers are essentially doing! Within a day I had one for my partner from a GAME drop. Someone in the WhatsApp group I was in managed to get one too.. and when he told me about the console I started to get jealous. So on the next drop I bought one for myself too. After that, the rest of my WhatsApp group wanted help getting them so I’ve managed to sort all of them out from different drops (for RRP ofcourse!) and some nephews and friends children too. 

Still have a few people who want them but there have been no drops in the UK for weeks unfortunately! 

Can’t believe how difficult they are to get still. And really hope anyone who wants one is successful next drop! 

You're a good person and thanks for sharing.

Saw a post on slickdeals in March saying that Walmart's website was going to release sales every 10 minutes later that day.  The recommended strategy was to use the walmart app, load the page the first time it becomes available and then wait for the next opening.  10 seconds prior to the next opening, start spamming add to cart, and when it appears in your cart, keep clicking until the purchase was complete.

This did require me to have my credit card info and home address saved on my walmart account, but that was something I already had.  Not only did I get one on the first try using this method, I was able to snag a second one 2 more release windows later for a buddy getting ready to go on a deployment.  Hopefully this helps some people if they see it.  Any specific questions, feel free to ask.