Japanese role playing games with 'Western style' combat

JoesusHCrust

Bit of an odd question but..... Sony has a huge catalogue of Japanese role playing games and they often seem to have a themes that on paper I'd find interesting. 

The problem I have is that I hate the combat style in JRPGs. I find the pausing the game and 'set piece' style really irritating and I've never been able to get into any JRPG as a result. 

So I'm curious if there are any Japanese RPGs that have 'Western' combat systems rather than the turn-based systems traditionally used in JRPGs? 

Not Souls-like would be good too! I'm too lazy to be bothered with souls style hard games!!! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

What 'themes' do you mean?

Sword art online

Ghost of Tsushima

Fantasy and sci-fi

I'm not usually a big anime fan but I love the Studio Ghibli titles. 

Sword Art Re: Hollow Fragment is £4 at the moment so I could grab that. Ghost of Tsushima is right at the top of my list of must buys but I'm going to wait for it to drop in price because I'm too poor (or mean) to pay full price for games!!

Edited by JoesusHCrust

If its just the turn based aspect you have an issue with..there are plenty of JRPGs that have shed that mantle.

Final Fantasy 12, while more of an active turn based where you can still move around, has a very western aesthetic to it. FFXV is similar, and more to the ARPG side of things. mantle. FFVIIR has shed some of the original cartoony charm and is a very satisfying action rpg, although you have the ATB gauge that limits the amount and types of actions you can take, you are still running around hacking things up. And if you haven't seen the trailers, FFXVI is gonna be a great looking arpg. 

Dragon's Dogma is an excellent choice here. The western influence is all over the place, and it's such an amazing game. Glad they made the remaster because it made the game so much more accessible. 

The Tales franchise has many solid action rpgs, and Ys franchise as well. I played Ys Celceta a while back and recently just finished Ys IX Monstrum Nox and it was pretty good.

So now that you know the turn based is something you don't want because you want the "western style combat" as you call it, the real question is what type of game? JRPGs are all over the place as far as aesthetic, style, and themes so you have plenty to choose from.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

If you like Studio Ghibli, check out the Ni No Kuni games.

The art style is right up my street and there's a Welsh.....Thing in there! They've got that God-awful turn based combat that I was looking to avoid but I might be tempted. The second one is on sale at 80% off at the moment I've just noticed! 

3 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

If its just the turn based aspect you have an issue with..there are plenty of JRPGs that have shed that mantle.

Yes, it's literally just that combat system and the fact that the game is 'paused' that I don't like. Beyond that, I'll give anything a try! I feel like I've played through many of the 'Western' RPGs (Bethesda stuff, CDPR stuff etc.) so am looking around for other things to try. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I would avoid Ni No Kuni if it's not jrpg stuff you're after. I got the plat for it and I must say, it was a letdown. I can't comment on 2 since I haven't played it yet.

Yes, the gameplay doesn't look like it would be my cup of tea but the art style looks good. The little whatsit with the Welsh accent is a big draw. You never hear Welsh accents in video games!!

• Like 1

Ni No Kuni 2 isn't turn based combat just to clarify but it's not that amazing in general tbh. I enjoyed it but you mentioned things like the Fallout series. You won't feel that playing NNK2. If you can find a decent sale price it could be worth checking out for you though.

Edited by kindajustin

13 minutes ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

If you pick up a cheap PS1 theres a JRPG called Koudelka that is set entirely in Wales ;)

I guess it would have to be a super cheap PS1, as Koudelka goes for over $100 on it's own :)

6 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

No! Really! I would love to play that. Was it any good? 

I never played Koudelka, but I played the games that came after it (The Shadow Hearts series), and I really liked them.  They were all turn based combat, though.

1 hour ago, JoesusHCrust said:

No! Really! I would love to play that. Was it any good? 

I liked it and it's a unique grid-based turn-based game. Look up gameplay footage because it's not exactly like a tactical RPG. It's also technically a horror game if you want to set the atmosphere to play it as such.