How closely do you plan your account?

Deadly_Ha_Ha

I once did because i wanted the platinum number along with the title to sound right but then the easy games phase hit and my account will never be the same. Regrettable but no going back. Now i try not to care about what specific number (besides milestones) and am mostly working on my backlog so i can up my completion percentage because theres a few games i wanna play that im not sure ill ever platinum

7 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I know that even on this site, the more micromanaging the effort becomes for trophies the far less it is done. That being said, how much if ever do you plan a milestone around a game, or a platinum? How often to you order games? Is anyone's account themed? Is your account for completion? For me I can't say I micromanage my account terribly closely, but I keep it 100% and my current goal is to stack games so that my 2,000th trophy will be the Shadow of the Colossus platinum. I'm also not adding any ps3, Vita, or ps5 games until I have 50 ps4 games.

I wanted my 50th platinum to be RDR2. I generally want all my fifth or 10th platinums to be games I really care about. If I could I would've made the 'Threesome' trophy from Modern Warfare 2 any one of the trophies that pop up in your list.

I do prefer to have silver-/black coloured trophies with the occassional splash of colour for my milestones (ever since I noticed that my first seven or eight milestone followed this pattern fairly closely) and I do prefer them from games I liked. 

Apart from that I try to keep my overall completion rate over 50% but I really don't care if I 100% complete a game or not. Maybe get it it to an A eventually.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I wanted my 50th platinum to be RDR2. I generally want all my fifth or 10th platinums to be games I really care about. If I could I would've made the 'Threesome' trophy from Modern Warfare 2 any one of the trophies that pop up in your list.

Yeah this thread's got me thinking of individual trophies now. Kingdom Hearts 2 has a badass trophy called :gold: To Rule Them All which I might try to land into a milestone if I can help it, though the plat would probably be like the actual next trophy I unlock from it

• Like 1

I do a lot of managing on my account. What games I will be playing, what games I will put off, what series I will wrap up next, etc etc. 

Everyone already said what I wanted to say here. In short, I micromanage. I’m a bit of a perfectionist that way. 

My main goal is to reduce my incomplete games on my list to under 10. Capcom Arcade Cabinet, Fallout 4, Resident Evil, Shovel Knight and Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed will be done in due time.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

Definitely. About 6 months after joining this site (~15 plats in) I really leaned into this hobby and hid the games on my profile that were from my other family members. I then realised that all of the first few milestones on my profile were blue (the colour of a platinum trophy). Since then I've made sure that all of my milestones are blue.

My 50th plat is a PS4 port of my first plat so there's deliberate synchronicity there.

I'm working on a personal "platinum rain day," where I'm pushing towards my 5000th trophy, 100th platinum and 10th PSNP ultra rare platinum to all be before May 2021, which will be 5 years of trophy hunting for me. The 100th platinum will be Red Dead Redemption which was my first 'gatekeeper' platinum in the early days (back when a 20hr online grind in addition to online boosting was intimidating). It's the game that got me back into gaming in the first place and I find RDR1's Marston to be very relatable.

• Like 2

Hah i barely do any planning. I like getting plats n trophies but thats about it. 

I mean i hear people saying like ooh i want this for my 100th plat, but i dont think like that. Its time i could use to actually play. Sure itd be cool to get one i liked as a milestone, but i wont limit or delay what i play to get it in a specific order.

Also i guess i dont ever look at anyones milestones. 

But to each their own. Devilspeed

• Like 1

Yeah un/fortunately I've started paying attention to my average platinum rarity. I have a very specific vision for this hobby, and for me it's more fun to have the embodiment of my trophy hunting reflect that vision. As I mentioned before, I have my original account as a burner to play games that don't fit the mold of my main account, and my main account is something I'm actually sort of proud of

In general I don't do a really strict management of my account, exception is mainly about trophy milestones (visible Plat milestones and every 1000th trophy). 

Normally I use plats of games that mean something to me for all milestones and in the case of the bigger ones (100th, 200th plat, as well as 10000th and 15000th trophy) I went a bit over with wanting the Platinum trophy name to have a "decent" message (no generic names, like "Platinum", "Completionist", "Legend", the names CAN'T imply "something final", like "Final Words" or "Reaching Transcendence" and no Plat rarity above 50%). 

100th Platinum "Hardcore Gamer!" (Disgaea 4 vita) 

200th Platinum "Past, Present, and Future" (Dark Cloud 2) 

10000th trophy "#CantKillProgress" (Deus Ex Mankind Divided) 

15000th trophy "Adventurer Extraordinaire" (Ys VIII, not yet there, but close!) 

For my 150th and 250th plats I just used games that mean quite a lot to me. Well, the original FF7 was what got me into JRPGs, and Digital Devil Saga was what showed me the JRPGs world outside Final Fantasy... So, the latest entry in both franchises were good picks, and I just loved FF7R (after playing through it a second time, since the first time left me mixed feelings about some new "concepts" in the FF7 world) and I just Love Persona 5 (still need to finish Royal, but that's because I left a trophy out on purpose to use it as my 15000th trophy, but due to how common it is, I changed my mind). 

On top of that, I try to keep my average completion above 90%, but a few years ago I started a ton of games to just get the online done and never played them again... Still last year I decided to get back to 90%, and if it wasn't for me to start both Hitman 1 and 2 because of the Hitman 2 online, I would be much closer... Anyway, I'm doing my best to not start more games before I hit 90%..

I also keep an eye on my average rarity. It went up about 2% since the stats was added, and while that annoys me quite a bit, I refuse to avoid playing point and click games as well as Visual Novels or other games with high average completion just to keep it low, if it's interesting to me, I will play it, doesn't matter if it's an extremely common Platinum, or a platinum that I know that's out of my reach from the start (like most fighters, and sadly quite a few racers..).

Other than that, I just play whatever I feel like.. 

Maybe I do plan stuff more than I realize, but in truth, my only "extremely" long plan was Dark Cloud 2, that took me over an year were I only allowed myself to earn a single platinum trophy (the journey was both Dark Cloud 1 and 2, the only platinum earned was Déraciné). But even in this long project, I played several other games leaving them 1 trophy away from platinum as well as playing a lot of non-plat games (about 1/4th of the games in my profile are non-plat games, that's why I have nearly 100 more games completed than platinums earned). 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 2

@Han_the_Dragon you and I have similar sensibilities I'd say. I try not to have plats over 50% as well, though I understand your enjoying point and clicks and visual novels. And Dark Cloud 2 is one of the best games ever made and was a serious investment that I was almost overeager to make. I got Dark Cloud within the last few plats since I'd actually never played it but love Level-5 and want to round out as many of their games as possible.

But Spheda drove me to the brink of madness

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 1

Back when I was a lot more serious about the hobby, pretty deliberately with this account before I had bitten off more than I could chew. 

I largely intended to curate the games with titles/developers I liked as well as genres. If I wanted to, I believe this account is still possible to get to 100% completion. That's something I was going for, initially. However, I started many projects and rarely finished them. I was trying to find a balance of games I really liked and pursuing the platinum, and games that I knew I would have no problem getting the platinum for. This lead to a major burnout, and I learned I needed to play games that actually stimulated me. I platinum'd the Uncharted games because they're insanely easy, though I was bored to tears by the time Uncharted 3 needed to be done. Hellblade is another one that comes to mind. I blame that game for essentially ruining my account. Not only is the game brain dead with its gameplay, but the trophy list is such a joke. However, the blame rests with me on that one. I should have known what I was getting myself into. 

For example, Dead Rising is a game I love, though the platinum soured me a fair bit. The constant grinding and what the trophies asked for are just different from how I like to play the game. However, being a great fan of the game, I got it done. It wasn't the easiest thing to dedicate to, but the game deserved it and I have zero regrets. 

I have many games on my account that fell on the "so close to the plat" title that I found myself in a pretty toxic and inescapable spiral. My management skills weren't as good as my tenacity for completing games. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 took a fair amount of dedication, and the mercy of someone who knows the game on a much higher plane than I do. Still, it got done, because I love the game. 

I intended to also go for all PlatinumGames platinum trophies as they are my favorite developer. For a great period, probably over three years or so, I indeed was the only one who had platinum'd all of their games. Currently, there is no one. And the dedication to getting all of those platinums is not anything to scoff at. Currently, you need to platinum Vanquish four times and get The Wonderful 101 platinum. Those games alone are going to ensure no one else will ever do it. 

Should I get back into trophy hunting again, I wouldn't make another mistake like Uncharted or Hellblade again. I don't mind if a game asks for my time, I only ask in return that it keeps me stimulated. 

----

This also largely ties into my pessimistic view about the current state of trophy hunting. 

Prior to 2016 or so, the amount of platinum trophies you had actually mattered to some degree, as each most lists at the very least expected a fair amount from the player. Now that trophies are handed out on a laughable level and users are trying to race to the bottom, it's gotten old. 

50 platinums in under 24 hours was not possible some time ago. Now, it's norm. Hakoom and Roughdawg having as many platinums as they do doesn't mean much anymore. Their hobby went from trying to 100% games the quickest to getting platinums in under five minutes. 

Molding your account to your own standards and your own goals are the only ways to make this no longer defunct in entertainment. How you treat your account shouldn't be a passive action, it needs to be an actual effort, lest your account will look like everyone else's and become defunct in value. 

Edited by Wesley
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

@Han_the_Dragon you and I have similar sensibilities I'd say. I try not to have plats over 50% as well, though I understand your enjoying point and clicks and visual novels. And Dark Cloud 2 is one of the best games ever made and was a serious investment that I was almost overeager to make. I got Dark Cloud within the last few plats since I'd actually never played it but love Level-5 and want to round out as many of their games as possible.

But Spheda drove me to the brink of madness

I did play them back on ps2 (didn't do everything back then...), but since I loved Rogue Galaxy so much, I decided to buy it as soon as Sony released the PS2 to PS4 thing, since it run ok, I decided to get the remaining Level-5 games (quite a fan of them, except White Knight Chronicles...), and since Dark Cloud 2 Platinum name fits my criteria, I went with it. 

Actually Spheda wasn't nearly as hard when I played it on PS4, maybe because I actually understood somewhat how it works this time around.. 

For my 15k milestone it's been a really "complicated" plan, since before P5R released, I was thinking in using that plat, when it got "to common" I started looking and at a time I looked at Star Ocean 3 (Reach Transcendence), but then didn't liked the "finality on the name, then thought about Danganronpa 2 (Hope Last Reward), but a little later changed my mind because of" finality", in the end Ys VIII didn't sound to bad while not being overly generic or cheesy and is quite a good game! 

On top of those, I quite like Street Fighter V (Neverending Path) and Driveclub VR (Virtuoso), but reaching Golden League in SF5 will take to long (specially because I'm playing on and off until Rose releases... But even if I play serious it's an extremely hard target for me..), and I don't have the PSVR with me right now, so Driveclub VR was simply a no deal.. Then, there is Nocturne, but since Nocturne release date is still unknown, I had to go with something already released...

That said, I HAVE to make Nocturne a milestone of mine... (probably 300th Platinum, but that spot isn't set in stone yet, since it may take a while for me to get there, and maybe something more interesting will be out by the time that I reach the milestone..). Yes, I was a fan of the SMT World before Persona became big (and own all PS2 games from the Shin Megami Tensei universe released in Europe..). 

PS: I'm really jealous of your Kingdom Hearts collection!! (personally if I stop being lazy, I know that I probably can get at least KH2 and CoM plats, but Birth by Sleep is something else and outside my reach...) 

• Like 1

My 100th platinum was NBA2K20 and it just worked out that way. Since I'm a basketball junkie and used to play 2K every year (I skipped 2K21 because I'm fed up of grinding the same thing for 6 months and then never getting to enjoy the fruits of my labour since it's obsolete when the next year's title launches)

But having my only 2K platinum as the 100th was cool since it was a game that was easily Top 5 in terms of most hours put into it.

I've only recently been into cleaning up my trophy list, and platting games I really love as milestones. I've made minor goals this year and joined events to help achieve those personal goals (higher overall completion, less unearned trophies, etc.). I also ordered my games for the first time with the Mass Effect series, and refuse to play anything else until ME3 is 100%. I think viewing others' accomplishments on here has influenced my desire to clean up my list.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

I did play them back on ps2 (didn't do everything back then...), but since I loved Rogue Galaxy so much, I decided to buy it as soon as Sony released the PS2 to PS4 thing, since it run ok, I decided to get the remaining Level-5 games (quite a fan of them, except White Knight Chronicles...), and since Dark Cloud 2 Platinum name fits my criteria, I went with it. 

PS: I'm really jealous of your Kingdom Hearts collection!! (personally if I stop being lazy, I know that I probably can get at least KH2 and CoM plats, but Birth by Sleep is something else and outside my reach...) 

Dude, I am retrospectively so disappointed I never got involved with WKC or WKC2 on ps3. I've never played them but Level-5 is amazing and I wish I had the plat for those games. Still "possible" but unrealistic. And Rogue Galaxy is firmly on the list for my account. It'll be the last Level-5 ps2 game for me to complete. 

Kingdom Hearts means a lot to me. My ultimate goal for this account as I mentioned somewhere in this thread is to have all the plats on every console. It'll be a challenge but I am ALWAYS up for Kingdom Hearts games - even Re: CoM on ps3 which will be 6 play throughs and will make me relive grinding Riku to 99 and getting all the event cards for Sora

21 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Dude, I am retrospectively so disappointed I never got involved with WKC or WKC2 on ps3. I've never played them but Level-5 is amazing and I wish I had the plat for those games. Still "possible" but unrealistic. And Rogue Galaxy is firmly on the list for my account. It'll be the last Level-5 ps2 game for me to complete. 

Kingdom Hearts means a lot to me. My ultimate goal for this account as I mentioned somewhere in this thread is to have all the plats on every console. It'll be a challenge but I am ALWAYS up for Kingdom Hearts games - even Re: CoM on ps3 which will be 6 play throughs and will make me relive grinding Riku to 99 and getting all the event cards for Sora

Believe me, WKC isn't worth it... 

I only did the first and was an insane grind (while racing the GeoNet closure..), I started WKC2, but barely did anything... 

Ok, ya, it makes sense to play Rogue Galaxy as last, because the improvements between each game were quite significant, playing Dark Cloud 1 after Rogue Galaxy shows just that... 

I missed that, that's quite a big target! (I still have 4 playthroughs on CoM and just thinking about it makes me lose the interest... Really don't like the gameplay of that one). Good luck! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, ya, it makes sense to play Rogue Galaxy as last, because the improvements between each game were quite significant, playing Dark Cloud 1 after Rogue Galaxy shows just that... 

Yeah Dark Cloud was hard to get started. It's obviously pretty dated but once I got used to it I had fun

• Like 1

I don't really care about anything but milestones and that is only a very recent thing, sometime last year. I decided to start planning specific games for my milestones because looking back a lot of mine are for games I don't care that much about. The thing that pushed me over the edge is some random HZD trophy being my 6k milestone, not a very interesting trophy and I don't even like HZD that much honestly. Going forward I want all my milestones to be for games I really like, most will probably be for an action game as that is my favorite genre. I am coming up on my 8k milestone and gonna make that one P5 Strikers, after that is 150 plats which I am giving to Muramasa Rebirth as I finally went back after nearly 7 years and completed Fury mode lol.

Also not exactly a milestone but I am looking for a fun rare platinum to go after. Really tired of my rarest trophy being for the PS4 version of Transformers Devastation because it's such a hilariously easy plat that is only rare due to the game being given away on PS+. I want my rarest to be something actually worthy of being rare.

• Like 1

Like a lot of people here, I plan for my milestones. Mostly the plat ones because trophy milestones are so spread apart for me at this point and most of the ones I did actually plan out got messed up anyway due to a few missing timestamps. I like using the milestones to highlight particular games/series that mean a lot to me. Even better if the trophy name is a good one.

While 100% completion for my profile overall is very much unachievable (and far too restrictive for my tastes), I do intend to fully complete every game I start. The process of playing a game and getting every trophy in it are very much intrinsically linked for me at this point. There's no such thing as playing a game casually and not focusing on the trophies for me, but I have a lot of fun trophy hunting, so I don't see that as an issue. I want my profile to be full of as many 100%'s as possible.

One thing that influences what order I play games in are the game images that show up in the trophy list. I'll admit this is a bit of an odd one and I can't imagine many others relate to this. ? Basically, I try to have some variety when it comes to the colours. I don't like having too many games with the same colour image in a row and I try to add some variety so it looks better when scrolling through my list. 

• Like 2