Opinion/Poll: Is Demon's Souls part of the Dark Souls series?

PhyrxianLibrarin

Is Demon's Souls Stage 0 of the Dark Souls series?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is Demon's Souls Stage 0 of the Dark Souls series?

• Yes
    • No

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, Helyx said:

81 people have no idea what they're talking about.

Let's face it people will die on this hill as long as they stand.

Though I got laugh at the amount of people who keep saying every game is in the same universe because it's designed similarly and by the same people. I guess all SNK and Platinum Games are in their own universes together by that standard.

1 hour ago, SKiL_Clash said:

The only thing connected is that the bosses still beat the shit out of you. That’s it.

And Patches.

Maybe every game is just a nightmare being had by Patches, since he is the only character common to all the souls games, and Bloodborne ?

He’s in Armored Core too I think - guess he was watching some sci-fi before bed that day!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's factually not.  Nothing wrong with using unofficial terms like "D. Souls games",  "Souls games" or even "Soulsborne games"  though, depending on context. It can be meaningful to compare it to the Dark Souls games.  

Demon's Souls may be the best looking Souls game but it is not the best looking Dark Souls game.

Edited by iriihutoR84
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you read the lore, demon's souls, bloodborne, sekiro the kings field series, armoured core and eden ring are all in the same connected universe.
They just happened in different parts of the world, different stages of time and peoples passed on memories and dreams.

The moonlight greatsword has lore that connects all the games together. As do other things.

Go watch Vaati on youtube, he's got timeline videos linking everything together.

Dark Souls is the spiritual successor, like Xenogears > Xenosaga > Xenoblade. It’s not the same series, even if the creators would like to nod toward the original in some manner. That’s not the same as being the same series, otherwise virtually all Pixar movies are connected and one series but they aren’t, Easter eggs and references aren’t what make things officially connected. No matter how many click bait YouTube videos get made about it

• Like 2

just wanted to drop my grain of salt in here

i order demon souls from japan all the way back in 2009 and nothing compare to that first experience

having not been release in north america at that point it made the whole experience was way special and what more was it wasnt a shitty game on the contrary it was like a masterpiece

and keep thinking how they could have fuck up this bad on that one! on not bringing it over here, but the best thing about it was the total lack of information about anything! and then you read some rumors about yurt, the mad assassin that will kill all your npc if....if.....you cant figure it out by yourself, the time ive put in that game to learn everything about it is crazy

this is why demons souls is its own game

the dark souls serie didnt have this wonder of the first, the type of game that it was, basically created a new genra, its style, the items, its logic all of that was lost as the serie progress, of course if you started at dark souls its still amazing, its just a weird feeling i cant really express on how it felt with demon souls

Edited by Horrorist
  • Like 1

This is more or less the same argument as whether or not Devil May Cry and Bayonetta share the same universe. (Which I'm personally against despite enjoying both series)

Both are related and have various elements that suggest a shared universe of some sort, but are otherwise separate series legally and officially despite Kamiya's claims.

So - as a few others have said already - Demon's Souls is a Souls game, but not a Dark Souls game or vice versa.

References/easter eggs, deeper connections and implications, or even official confirmation from the mouth of Miyazaki himself wouldn't change this otherwise objective fact.

(And - to my understanding - unlike in Kamiya's case, Miyazaki has basically said that the two aren't really connected beyond references and easter eggs regardless)

That said, however, Demon's Souls is still essentially a precursor/beta of sorts to Dark Souls, and grouping them together for this reason is understandable nonetheless.

Edited by Zephrese

On 16/3/2021 at 5:34 PM, NathanielJohn said:

The point of the series feature is (presumably) to help people discover games and find related trophy lists. Given that, I can't imagine a single good argument for why Demon's Souls would not be included in the same series as the Dark Souls games. Just rename it the "Souls" series instead, like Wikipedia does.

I completely agree, however, I understand both points. The reason in PSNP series seems to be focused on if it is the same franchise or universe of the games. Given that scenario, Demons Souls could be pretty similar or the precursor even on its name but it will not be part of the "universe". But, on the other hand if we use the argument "of finding related games" I think that will not be the point since Lords of the Fallen will be then on the souls series, which I will disagree, and it is veeeery similar however it is not a Souls game.

Now lets think for example on Final Fantasy series, ammost every game is an entire universe and a different context and characters, also mechanics are different, but they share the same name, that could he the scenario for Demons Souls, they "are" Souls even if their universes or stories are not connected. Why all Final Fantasys are together and not the Souls franchise?

Edited by Pottercito_

1 hour ago, Domino_Destructo said:

By now 160 people are objectively wrong. I hope this is just some trolling action going on and these people purposely pick the wrong answer.

Even the developers confirmed that these games aren't related.

The major flaw here is NOTHING should be part of the "Dark Souls Series" except for the Dark Souls franchise.

If the question were something like "Would Demon's Souls and Dark Souls be part of a Series named 'Souls Series'", then I would agree (or even Soulsborne if we're to include Bloodborne). Putting Demon's Souls into a Series for a game that came afterwards is complete nonsense.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

It is an interesting subject, if you look at it at different angle than most veterans of the series do. From a point of Demon Souls it makes no sense to put them in one universe, but if look at series from a late, as Bloodborne, those were different ages of the same place.

It was impossible to know anything happened in Yharnam, so there is no logical connection between Boletaria, but it exist in some extent in the "future", which is logically right, and including actual technological progress presented in BB. Since there are may be hundreds years between events of DeS and BB, there shouldn't be any similarity or connection between two distant ages.

It may sound garbage, but just mine two cents, and yes, I am one of those weirdos believing that Dark Souls 2 is acually takes place in Lordran, before events of Dark Souls?

• 4 months later...

I say yes, though I think some people would say Dark Souls is part of the Demon’s Souls series.

I can understand leaving Sekiro or Elden Ring out. I can even accept Bloodborne not being included. But if Demon’s Souls is out, we’re being completely literal about the series, and a LOT of series would need to be paired down.

EDIT: Why did I post here? I swear this thread was at the top of the heap yesterday.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1