Is There A Guide Dedicated to Missable Trophies?

I played this game back in 2016 and got 100%, but remember that there was a lot to keep track of (had like 10 tabs open lol).I was wondering if there was a clear overview guide available for this game after 5 years?

The closest I could find was: Witcher 3 - Missable Trophies - Google Docs

I also found an extremely in depth speed run guide, but I just wanted simplified overview. Does something better exist for a 1 playthrough approach?

That one technically isn’t even accurate. There’s another Gwent quest with a missable card that’s not listed. They patched in safe guards for most of the “Gwent” quests but there’s one they didn’t, Gwent : Big City Players.

Really, all you need to worry about is Assassin of Kings, Full Crew, and collecting Gwent. The rest are only missable if you make the wrong choices or lose fights / races during those quests. The quests themselves aren’t inherently missable.

I used this for Gwent, https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/14/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-every-gwent-card-collect-em-all/ just a few days ago. Works great. Just do the missable ones ASAP.

Assassin of Kings flows pretty easily as long as you actually do the quests. Same with Full Crew, but that one takes a little more thought.

EDIT : I forgot about Even Odds, that’s gonna be tough to do on Death March anyways. Almost worth doing the first few hours of a new play through on easy just to wrap that one up... or save some low level contracts till after you pop the Death March trophy and drop the difficulty.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

That one technically isn’t even accurate. There’s another Gwent quest with a missable card that’s not listed. They patched in safe guards for most of the “Gwent” quests but there’s one they didn’t, Gwent : Big City Players.

Really, all you need to worry about is Assassin of Kings, Full Crew, and collecting Gwent. The rest are only missable if you make the wrong choices or lose fights / races during those quests. The quests themselves aren’t inherently missable.

I used this for Gwent, https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/14/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-every-gwent-card-collect-em-all/ just a few days ago. Works great. Just do the missable ones ASAP.

Assassin of Kings flows pretty easily as long as you actually do the quests. Same with Full Crew, but that one takes a little more thought.

EDIT : I forgot about Even Odds, that’s gonna be tough to do on Death March anyways. Almost worth doing the first few hours of a new play through on easy just to wrap that one up... or save some low level contracts till after you pop the Death March trophy and drop the difficulty.

That's interesting that they patched Gwent, thanks for the info. Didn't see that in any guide.

18 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

That's interesting that they patched Gwent, thanks for the info. Didn't see that in any guide.

Well, the big ones that are listed in the guide you posted, Matter of Life and Death, Dangerous Game, Shock Therapy, and Gwent High Stakes don’t have safeguards.

The ones that start with “Gwent :” like Gwent : Velen and Gwent : Old Pals, etc are the ones they patched safe guards into. And like I said, for some reason they didn’t patch Gwent : Big City Players =/

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

Almost 2 years later from when you posted this and I wish there was a missable only guide. I want to play through without worrying I'm going to miss trophies. 

It’s been a few years since I did this, but I used that same Google doc that OP linked and it worked pretty well. For the Gwent cards I think I had a separate tab open with a list I found somewhere. It’s not as handy as having it all in one place but it serves its purpose and got me the plat.  ?‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, Sicho said:

I did the platinum on Witcher 3 PS4 in one playthrough. No save scumming or anything is needed but it is of course recommended to make multiple saves in case you screw something up.

Hey this is pretty useful. Thank you so much. I thought there were Gwent quests that were missable as well? 

Edit: this guide mentions some other missables Gwent cards from quests. Reference step 2: completing Gwent quests. 

https://www.vg247.com/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-every-gwent-card-collect-em-all

2 hours ago, Deadvember said:

This is a perfect video guide for all trophies. It goes over everything and is brilliant!

Appreciated but I don't want to watch a 6.5 hour video lol

Edited by Stars_of_Sirius

1 hour ago, Sicho said:

I did the platinum on Witcher 3 PS4 in one playthrough. No save scumming or anything is needed but it is of course recommended to make multiple saves in case you screw something up.

The sad thing about getting the plat in one playthrough is that, while not impossible, it is highly improbable that one will play through this game without a guide and not miss a missable. Especially since some of the missables are tied to specific choices in the game which means that if you play like you feel your version of Geralt would react, you might lock yourself out of a GWENT card or a crew member etc.

So here is basically what you need to do to not miss anything and get the Platinum in one playthrough:

- Play the game on Death March difficulty right away. It is not as hard as it may seem, especially later on when you have better gear. The biggest hurdle at DM difficulty is that you cannot heal by meditating. Never change the game difficulty until you finished the main story and got the difficulty trophies!

- Before going to the "Isle of Mists", you need to finish the Assassin of Kings trophy. For that, you basically need to finish a series of subquests and choose specific dialogue choices. Check the trophy guide on PSNP or look it up on YouTube for details. But in short: it basically starts with a quest called "Redania's Most Wanted", goes through multiple quests, then comes a main quest called "Blindingly Obvious" where you need to always choose the first dialogue choice at end of the quest when talking to Philippa and Dijkstra. This leads to the "Reason of State" quest, that gives you the trophy once you completed it.
This is missable because 1) you could choose the wrong dialogue choice and 2) it is not available anymore when you get to the Isle of Mists.

- You need to acquire all GWENT cards of the base game for the Card Collector trophy. Always buy cards when you can. The missable ones are from sidequests and GWENT games. Again, look up a guide for details, but in short, here are the missable ones:
1) Right at the beginning of the game, in White Orchard, play GWENT against the scholar. If you win, you get a Zoltan card that you only get there. This is missable because he leaves the area after a while so do that one right away.
2) "A Matter of Life and Death" Quest - At the ball with Triss, go to the garden area, play GWENT there, and win against all three opponents. You'll get three cards that you can only get here. Missable because once the ball ends, you cannot go play GWENT there anymore.
3) "A dangerous game" Quest - When you finish this quest, make sure to choose the cards as a reward, not the gold. Again, three cards.
4) The other missable cards are linked to the GWENT Master trophy. You'll need to win the tournament in the Passiflora brothel. This is missable because if you lose a match, you fail the quest and don't get the cards. So save before starting the tournament and save after each win. You'll get four cards here and the missable Gwent Master Trophy after you win all the matches.

- You need to win all the fist fights for the Brawl Master trophy. This is missable because unlocking the very last fight requires you to complete a side quest to get rid of a wraith. You will need to let the wraith defeat you in combat and talk to the guards in the watchtower near the arena to unlock the last fight. Also, you cannot retry the last fight if you lose, so you need to save beforehand and reload to retry.

- For the Even Odds trophy, you need to kill two contract monsters without using signs, potions, mutagens, oils or bomb. This is missable because there are only 26 contracts. Of course, the easiest way to do this is to try achieving this with the very first contracts you come across, as those fights are easier. (but still challenging on DM difficulty)

- For the Fast and Furious trophy, you need to win all the horse races. This is missable because you cannot retry the very last horse race. Therefore, save before and reload if necessary.

- For the Fist of the South Star trophy, you need to win a fistfight without taking damage. Missable since there is a limited amount of fist fights in the game. Try to get this asap, maybe even save before a fight and reload until you get it.

- Now the Full Crew trophy is an easy one to screw up. At a certain point in the game you need to recruit 7 allies for your crew to get the trophy, which means that specific characters either need to survive or you need to choose specific dialogue choices at specific points in the game. Check the guides for more details, here is the short summary:
--> most are recruited by the "Brothers in Arms" subquests that plop up at this point. Do all of these subquests before proceeding to the Isle of Mists.
--> Keira Metz is the one that can be missed since she can die. At the end of her subplot, spare her life and send her to Kaer Morhen. You obviously also need to complete her subplot before going to the Isle of Mists.
--> Ves and Roche get recruited in the "Brothers in Arms: Novigrad" subquests, but only if you 1) finished the sidequest "An Eye of an Eye" beforehand and 2) talk to both of them in the "Brothers in Arms Novigrad" subquest
--> Hjalmar: You need to complete the subplot about choosing Skellige's ruler (= the Kingmaker trophy). The subplot consists of multiple side quests, ending in one called "King's Gambit". During "King's Gambit" you must choose to help either Hjalmar or Cerys, doesn't matter which one. Then talk to them once they are ruler and Hjalmar will come with you. If you don’t help either of them someone else will become ruler and Hjalmar won't join which means you will miss the Full Crew trophy. If you choose Cerys, you also need to talk to her!

- Then you need to complete all the contracts for the Geralt: The Professional trophy. There are two contracts that can be missed/screwed up. A contract about a doppler, coming with its own trophy Doppler Effect and a contract about a Woodland Spirit, coming with its own trophy of the same name. The Doppler contract is missable because the Doppler can run away and if he does, the quest fails. The Woodland Spirit is missable because you need to make a specific choice in that quest. You have accept Sven's offer who wants you to kill the Woodland Spirit (the younger man) and not the offer from Harald (the elderly man). If you go with Harald's offer you won't get to fight the Woodland Spirit and will miss this trophy.

I tried to compile this into some kind of roadmap. Most things can be done in any order as long as they are done before a point of no return (leaving White Orchard, going to the Isle of Mists). My proposal looks as follows:

- Start the game on Death March difficulty. Play the tutorial or not, doesn't matter.
- In White Orchard, play Gwent with the scholar and win the game to get a card. You can theoretically retry this as much as you want without saving/reloading, as long as you don't leave White Orchard. But try to get it done right away.
- Try doing the first two contracts without using signs, bombs etc. for the Even Odds trophy. Save and reload if necessary.
- When you arrive in Velen, you can find a fistfight at the "Inn at the Crossroads" fast travel point. Participate in the fight and try to win it without being hit (blocking is allowed, just don't take damage) for the Fist of the South Star trophy. Save and reload if necessary.
- Over the course of the game, win all the horse races and fist fights. Fist fights unlock after the "Bloody Baron" main quest in Velen. Since the last ones are missable, always save before each right/race and save after winning. Also, you will need to let the wraith defeat you in combat in the subquest to unlock the last fistfight.
- In Act 1, Novigrad, the following quests give you missable GWENT cards: "A Matter of Life and Death", "A dangerous game" and "High stakes". Try not to lose a match, therefore always save before each match and reload if you lose.
- Over the course of the game, do all the contracts. Two are missable/screw-up-able: Doppler Effect (don't let the Doppler run away) and Woodland Spirit (accept Sven's offer, not Haralds!)
- Finish Keira Metz's subplot and let her live, don't kill her!
- Finish the "King's Gambit" quest in Skellige to choose a ruler to make Hjalmar available for your crew.
- Then complete the following BEFORE going to the Isle of Mists:
1)  murder the King for the trophy by always choosing the first dialogue choice in the "Blindingly Obvious" quest when talking to Dijkstra and Philippa and then go on to the "Reason of State" quest
2) do all the "Brothers in Arms" subquests, don't forget to talk to Ves, Roche, Cerys and Hjalmar.

If you do this, you should not miss a trophy for the main game.

The DLC is a different beast because it cannot be completed in one playthrough without saving and reloading since there are multiple outcomes that got their own trophies. And I'm now too tired to do the same for the DLCs, just check the guides on PSNP :D 

Christ's sake my phone just quoted the whole thing. Just wanted to say that if you miss Zoltan he is in a small chest around the Hanged Man's Tree when you first go to Velen. This is the case for a lot of the non quest missables like the Baron's card too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

Hey this is pretty useful. Thank you so much. I thought there were Gwent quests that were missable as well? 

Edit: this guide mentions some other missables Gwent cards from quests. Reference step 2: completing Gwent quests. 

https://www.vg247.com/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-every-gwent-card-collect-em-all

Appreciated but I don't want to watch a 6.5 hour video lol

It's a walkthough of a 300hour+ trophy estimate cut down into less than 7 hours, can't really get much better than that. Especially when choosing the wrong dialogue option 100 hours into your playthrough can literally mean restarting the entire game again to get 1 trophy. This video makes sure that wont happen, which is why it's so good imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deadvember said:

It's a walkthough of a 300hour+ trophy estimate cut down into less than 7 hours, can't really get much better than that. Especially when choosing the wrong dialogue option 100 hours into your playthrough can literally mean restarting the entire game again to get 1 trophy. This video makes sure that wont happen, which is why it's so good imo.

300+ hours!? Not even close lol. Videos are for some people but I like written information that's short, clear and concise. The comment above us and link are perfect for me. I took that information and cut it down into small notes which I have written in front of me now so I don't miss anything. 

14 hours ago, Sicho said:

I tried to compile this into some kind of roadmap. Most things can be done in any order as long as they are done before a point of no return (leaving White Orchard, going to the Isle of Mists). My proposal looks as follows:

- Start the game on Death March difficulty. Play the tutorial or not, doesn't matter.
- In White Orchard, play Gwent with the scholar and win the game to get a card. You can theoretically retry this as much as you want without saving/reloading, as long as you don't leave White Orchard. But try to get it done right away.
- Try doing the first two contracts without using signs, bombs etc. for the Even Odds trophy. Save and reload if necessary.
- When you arrive in Velen, you can find a fistfight at the "Inn at the Crossroads" fast travel point. Participate in the fight and try to win it without being hit (blocking is allowed, just don't take damage) for the Fist of the South Star trophy. Save and reload if necessary.
- Over the course of the game, win all the horse races and fist fights. Fist fights unlock after the "Bloody Baron" main quest in Velen. Since the last ones are missable, always save before each right/race and save after winning. Also, you will need to let the wraith defeat you in combat in the subquest to unlock the last fistfight.
- In Act 1, Novigrad, the following quests give you missable GWENT cards: "A Matter of Life and Death", "A dangerous game" and "High stakes". Try not to lose a match, therefore always save before each match and reload if you lose.
- Over the course of the game, do all the contracts. Two are missable/screw-up-able: Doppler Effect (don't let the Doppler run away) and Woodland Spirit (accept Sven's offer, not Haralds!)
- Finish Keira Metz's subplot and let her live, don't kill her!
- Finish the "King's Gambit" quest in Skellige to choose a ruler to make Hjalmar available for your crew.
- Then complete the following BEFORE going to the Isle of Mists:
1)  murder the King for the trophy by always choosing the first dialogue choice in the "Blindingly Obvious" quest when talking to Dijkstra and Philippa and then go on to the "Reason of State" quest
2) do all the "Brothers in Arms" subquests, don't forget to talk to Ves, Roche, Cerys and Hjalmar.

If you do this, you should not miss a trophy for the main game.

I need to add a note here about the Even odds trophy. I said: "Try doing the first two contracts without using signs, bombs etc." and I should mention that you should not try this on the VERY FIRST contract you get in White Orchard (Devil in the Well) since you need to use the Magic Trap sign to make the creature vulerable to attacks.

8 hours ago, Deadvember said:

300h? No sorry. I did the Platinum + all the DLC trophies in around 100h back then on PS4.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 3:50 PM, Sicho said:

I tried to compile this into some kind of roadmap

Thanks for putting this up, all the missable stuff is really tiring and kills the flow of the game, i got the plat in the PS4 version years ago and don't remember much. I'll just follow your roadmap.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14.12.2022 at 9:08 PM, Malachen said:

Christ's sake my phone just quoted the whole thing. Just wanted to say that if you miss Zoltan he is in a small chest around the Hanged Man's Tree when you first go to Velen. This is the case for a lot of the non quest missables like the Baron's card too.

I can confirm this. Same thing worked for me, i thought the Zoltan card is lost forever (until the next playthrough) and i was able to pick it up at said tree.