Forspoken

Abby_TheLastofUs

4 minutes ago, The Investigator said:

what about it looks great to you?

graphics are average for a PS5 AAA game, the world is empty, story and characters look goofy, it looks like a rejected FF15 DLC repurposed in a PS5 SSD tech demo that got made into a "full game" for a quick and easy small cash grab to recuperate some of the lost money from the FF15 engine development because it was easy to do

*shrugs*

I don't know...just looks like a fun Open World adventure game, which are generally my favorite games. The main character seems like she might take some getting used to (her sense of humor may be a bit grating), but the traversal and the combat look like fun, a lot of the powers look like they could make for some exciting moments. Not expecting it to win any GOTY awards, but looks good enough to spark a new franchise to look forward to. 

On 7/6/2022 at 10:30 AM, The Investigator said:

honestly, I don't see how any amout of time of extra work can help this game, the whole thing is just uninteresting

Has nothing to do with extra time on the game.... Right when GOW release date was announced they pretty much delayed it! Smart move to be honest any game around that time is going to get crushed!! With it being a new IP you have to give it a honest chance to make it!!   

20 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

Has nothing to do with extra time on the game.... Right when GOW release date was announced they pretty much delayed it! Smart move to be honest any game around that time is going to get crushed!! With it being a new IP you have to give it a honest chance to make it!!   

Square would have their name attached to 4 games in a short time. Its more than just Ragnarok.

Sep 22 - DioField Chronicle 

Sep 29 - Valkyrie Elysium 

Oct 11- Forspoken (delayed obv)

Oct 27 - Star Ocean.

so in just over a month, 4 titles. Yes i know publishing isnt the same as developing.

Either way i hope its good. I unno. Idc when games get delayed. Idc if people hate on a game or universally praise it. If i want it, I'll get it. I intend to get this.

Also delaying it helps me, because currently only Forspoken and Dead Space remake are out in Jan that i want, and ill breeze through Dead Space. So this gives me time to play the game (Forspoken) and not necessarily rush it or shelve it halfway through because other big release coming a few weeks later 

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Square would have their name attached to 4 games in a short time. Its more than just Ragnarok.

Sep 22 - DioField Chronicle 

Sep 29 - Valkyrie Elysium 

Oct 11- Forspoken (delayed obv)

Oct 27 - Star Ocean.

so in just over a month, 4 titles. Yes i know publishing isnt the same as developing.

Either way i hope its good. I unno. Idc when games get delayed. Idc if people hate on a game or universally praise it. If i want it, I'll get it. I intend to get this.

Also delaying it helps me, because currently only Forspoken and Dead Space remake are out in Jan that i want, and ill breeze through Dead Space. So this gives me time to play the game (Forspoken) and not necessarily rush it or shelve it halfway through because other big release coming a few weeks later 

Indeed all in all this is the best call to make and delay it. Plus this one is a new ips and we all know with new IPS its hit or miss so, im glad to see it get a fighting chance! :)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

Indeed all in all this is the best call to make and delay it. Plus this one is a new ips and we all know with new IPS its hit or miss so, im glad to see it get a fighting chance! :)

i mean people claim world looks empty.... so was Ghost of Tsushima. Hot springs, foxes, small enemy forts and then story stuff. Everything in between was long empty and meh. So i mean, they praise that game like its a gold medal. Its good but i think overrated.

cant wait for Forspoken

then hopefully after, we get an update on Project Eve

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

i mean people claim world looks empty.... so was Ghost of Tsushima. Hot springs, foxes, small enemy forts and then story stuff. Everything in between was long empty and meh. So i mean, they praise that game like its a gold medal. Its good but i think overrated.

cant wait for Forspoken

then hopefully after, we get an update on Project Eve

Yeah Eva no word on this title in a long time 

13 hours ago, The Investigator said:

what about it looks great to you?

graphics are average for a PS5 AAA game, the world is empty, story and characters look goofy, it looks like a rejected FF15 DLC repurposed into a PS5 SSD tech demo that got made into a "full game" for a quick and easy small cash grab to recuperate some of the lost money from the FF15 engine development because it was easy to do

While I am not really interested in the game to buy at launch, I still think the game can turn out pretty decent.

The bigger the world is, the more important it is how you traverse the world. Looking at the footage we got so far, this might be one of the stronger, if not strongest aspect the game has to offer. I remember Mad Max worlds being pretty empty but the traversal made it actually fun.

Some face animations of side characters look bad but the magic attacks look beautiful and hopefully there are plenty to make combat fun and an eye-catcher.

Story.. well. It is not the selling point for me honestly. SE received a lot of slack for having almost only male cast in FFXV (according to the video posted in here), so I hope they don't try to force a more female cast just for the sake of it and instead focus on creating well written characters but I have no high hopes that the story will be groundbreaking, though it can still turn out good enough to suffice.

Overall, it does not look like a quick and easy small cash grab, it won't be the next "Elden Ring" in terms of open world but it looks unique enough to stand out in a market oversaturated with open world games that feel, look and play all the same.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 4:30 PM, The Investigator said:

honestly, I don't see how any amout of time of extra work can help this game, the whole thing is just uninteresting

I understand where you're coming from. I'm somewhat optimistic for it, but really everything I've seen of it so far has something about it that I just can't put my finger on. I think the world, while it looks very pretty, has this very empty feeling about it. Just vast open spaces with not a lot going on. One of my biggest gaming hates is open worlds that lack the feeling of being alive and full of detail, so I really hope the final product is much better than what has been shown off. Combat is another thing that looks pretty bad. Enemies appear to just stand around and wait to be killed. It looks so flat and uninspiring. 

On the flip side, visually the game is very pretty. Traversal looks like it could be a lot of fun. The overall story seems interesting and definitely has potential to be good. This won't be a day 1 buy for me or anything, but I feel like it could easily turn out to be much better than most are expecting it to be, which I do hope is the case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

Forspoken maybe at TGS. i just want to know how different both worlds will be. Human one and then magical one (Athia?) in terms of what gameplay we will have.

Have they ever said/shown if you play in the “Human” world? My impression was New York was just an opening FMV (probably an ending one too) and the entire game is “Athia” based?

26 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

Have they ever said/shown if you play in the “Human” world? My impression was New York was just an opening FMV (probably an ending one too) and the entire game is “Athia” based?

nope. Thats why I'm curious... i could see main girl (does she have a name?) have her bracelet thing (i think this allows her to enter "Athia", be taken or broken. and shes trapped in NY, and has to find a way back to Athia to try to beat boss or something. 

A simple enough story to tell. Sometimes simple is best. OR reverse, it breaks and she has no way home, but thats more common. 

Hopefully again, if a state of play is soon, we see something on it. Maybe nothing is ready but last videos i saw was:

1 month ago

2 weeks ago

this shows more in game menus:

• Like 1

As much as I like watching debates between two unrelated games in a thread about another game entirely, I'm going to lock this for now to clean up the thread to get this back on track.

EDIT: Thread cleaned up, reopened

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This game has such a “your mum wrote a lengthy letter to a publisher complaining about violence and toxic masculinity in video games and they asked her to direct their next game!”-vibe.

The combat/projectile effects look really nice though…

Edited by Tsundokuist

2 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

This game has such a “my mum/sister wrote a lengthy letter to the publisher complaining about violence and toxic masculinity in video games and now they’ve asked her to direct their next game!”-vibe.

huh?

Nothing about this game solves or changes any issue your mum/sister could have with violence.

Toxic masculinity? I don't really understand what this means in the confines of video games. I understand it in real world places like work, school, and the home.In video games though, there will always be characters that matter more or matter less to the story and overall scope of a game. People are all equal but characters in a story are not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

huh?

Nothing about this game solves or changes any issue your mum/sister could have with violence.

Toxic masculinity? I don't really understand what this means in the confines of video games. I understand it in real world places like work, school, and the home.In video games though, there will always be characters that matter more or matter less to the story and overall scope of a game. People are all equal but characters in a story are not.

I mean it’s just so sterile and soulless, it scans to me like someone took a talented development team and tried to make a video game without ever actually having played one.

If Spider-Man: Miles Morales is gaming’s latest Marvel movie, this is gaming’s latest Hallmark Channel Original Movie.

9 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

I mean it’s just so sterile and soulless, it scans to me like someone took a talented development team and tried to make a video game without ever actually having played one.

It's a post-apocalyptic world like the Last of Us but with magic zombies isn't of science zombies. 

You might as well complain about Attack on Titan only having one city too. 

It is the theme/backdrop. 

If Spider-Man: Miles Morales is gaming’s latest Marvel movie, this is gaming’s latest Hallmark Channel Original Movie.

And what is wrong with Hallmark movies? They have an audience. If you don't like them then don't watch. Not everything is going to be made for you. The Hallmark movie makers are probably fine just satifisying their audience. 

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

It's a post-apocalyptic world like the Last of Us but with magic zombies isn't of science zombies. 

You might as well complain about Attack on Titan only having one city too. 

It is the theme/backdrop. 

And what is wrong with Hallmark movies? They have an audience. If you don't like them then don't watch. Not everything is going to be made for you. The Hallmark movie makers are probably fine just satifisying their audience. 

I’m starting to feel like a later-life Orson Welles here but that’s precisely my point, “it’s the Last of Us but with…” wreaks of a game made to please a focus group. Some auteur-less, anti-Kojima project that’s a collage of western audience-pleasing ticks boxes.

But yes, we all have our tastes… some people watch Hallmark Movies and Fox News. Others watch Antonioni or Ozu Movies then listen to NPR. We can be as mindless and vapid or as pretentious and wanky as we please (I skew too much to the latter clearly).

For the record however, I do actually intend on playing this, I think Square Enix are doing some of the most interesting things in gaming right now, I rate Luminous Productions super-highly but equally, just as you are allowed to think “OMFG! I can, like totally, pet a kitty in this game? <high pitch excited scream, sip of unicorn-sparkle Frappuccino> it is now exempt from all criticism and I must pause Hallmark’s ‘The Labor Day Miracle’ to defend this game online” I feel I’m allowed to lament that (so far) this game looks to be playing it too “safe” and completely lacks the kooky, oddball spirit in it’s narrative and character design that made these dev’s so interesting in the past.

• 3 months later...

demo is, interesting. Still buying. Hope they fix the brightness stuff. As for combat, it's hmm if dash was L1 instead and spells could be set to face buttons that would be better. By end of the demo i was used to it though.. Could have been a bit smoother but ya...

L1+R1 Brings up magic class wheel 

whenever you have a class set (based off characters you beat I assume) :

R2 = basic magic attack (builds up L2 attack)

L2 = built up attack from R2 magic use

R2+L2 = big bang attack basically with huge AOE

O = dodge

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ollo99 said:

It's in my wishlist. I'm not sold on it yet.

Combat looks okay. The graphics are impressive, but will it lack acting, and story direction? 

dialogue seems very marvel-like. BUT there's an option to turn off some extra dialogue which is nice! 

i already bought the game as soon as it was up for preorder. I want it to do well enough for SE to have a new series they can build upon. If done right i could see this being 2 maybe even 3 game series.

• Like 2