PS Vita battery pulling pranks

NaRayquaza

Yo guys, I have recently bought a new memory card for my PS Vita (my 64 GB one was... you know) and today I have powered it on after maybe an year that it got discharged and recharged.

Problem is, the battery is full and when it goes to 3/4 it kinda trolls me, going back to full for some minutes. Then the same happens to 2/4, 1/4 and red battery but it last normally. I have read that when a battery dies it suddenly goes from full to red, but this doesn't seem to be the case luckily. What should I do? Is this a sign that the battery is dying or it will just fix itself after a couple of charges and discharges?

Just now, NaRayquaza said:

Yo guys, I have recently bought a new memory card for my PS Vita (my 64 GB one was... you know) and today I have powered it on after maybe an year that it got discharged and recharged.

Problem is, the battery is full and when it goes to 3/4 it kinda trolls me, going back to full for some minutes. Then the same happens to 2/4, 1/4 and red battery but it last normally. I have read that when a battery dies it suddenly goes from full to red, but this doesn't seem to be the case luckily. What should I do? Is this a sign that the battery is dying or it will just fix itself after a couple of charges and discharges?

Single cell lithium batteries can be really unpredictable after this period of time. I would suggest try going through a couple power cycles and see if you can get it to even out. Fully charge it, use it until it shuts off, then charge it back up to full and discharge it again. This can reset the battery controller. What is suggested above can also be a help and is really easy: open, disconnect, reconnect.

Battery behavior (going from full to red, etc) can change from battery to battery depending on how it was handled in it's life. There a wild range of possible behaviors they can exhibit.

• Like 3

It's a visual glitch that happens sometimes. I can confirm that disconnecting the battery for at least 5 minutes and then reconnecting everything solves the problem. Watch a video to know how to proceed, especially when you're pulling the cable from the board. Almost fucked it up there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NaRayquaza said:

The problem is that I am very afraid of opening it >_> Like it looks more fragile than say PC components and I fear for the worst.

It's only 8 tiny screws and a plastic spudger to get it open. Then you disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes, reconnect, and screw it back together. You got this.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+Vita+Battery+Replacement/7990

• Like 1

My vita has messed about like this the last few years. Fully charge it, turns itself off because its "flat" turn it back on where the display says it full only for it do it over and over again. It'll go weeks without doing it then it'll be almost unusable for a day or 2

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It's only 8 tiny screws and a plastic spudger to get it open. Then you disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes, reconnect, and screw it back together. You got this.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+Vita+Battery+Replacement/7990

Thanks, I will make a couple of charges and discharges and then if it doesn't fix by itself I will open it.

9 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

My vita has messed about like this the last few years. Fully charge it, turns itself off because its "flat" turn it back on where the display says it full only for it do it over and over again. It'll go weeks without doing it then it'll be almost unusable for a day or 2

Are you saying that is just the beginning? That it starts by saying Full-3/4, then Full-2/4 until it will say Full-red and turn itself off in a minute?

One of my vita broke badly too. Full charge(green), after a few minutes of use the battery drop to red with the message "battery is low". Sometimes it goes back to green(real charge level) after a few other minutes, other times it stay in the red level with the message continuously popping up, but never turn off before a couple of hours(the real charge of the battery).

It did like this for one month, then back to normal for six months and then it got worse. Basically, now after i start a game it goes to red and the message low battery pops a couple of times and then the vita turn off. When I turn on again the batter is back to the correct level, but as soon as I start a game same thing happens. If i stay in the bubble screen, everything works perfect.

I did as DaivRules suggested and it solved the problem. Reading on some forums, people suggested to try to disconnect the battery without opening the vita but using a series of inputs during powering on. For me it didn't work but I guess you can try this before opening your vita. 

P.s.

Remember that, if you disconnect and reconnect the battery, you need to sync date and time via online connection or trophies earned after that process will probably show with missing timestamps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ddrakner said:

One of my vita broke badly too. Full charge(green), after a few minutes of use the battery drop to red with the message "battery is low". Sometimes it goes back to green(real charge level) after a few other minutes, other times it stay in the red level with the message continuously popping up, but never turn off before a couple of hours(the real charge of the battery).

It did like this for one month, then back to normal for six months and then it got worse. Basically, now after i start a game it goes to red and the message low battery pops a couple of times and then the vita turn off. When I turn on again the batter is back to the correct level, but as soon as I start a game same thing happens. If i stay in the bubble screen, everything works perfect.

I did as DaivRules suggested and it solved the problem. Reading on some forums, people suggested to try to disconnect the battery without opening the vita but using a series of inputs during powering on. For me it didn't work but I guess you can try this before opening your vita. 

P.s.

Remember that, if you disconnect and reconnect the battery, you need to sync date and time via online connection or trophies earned after that process will probably show with missing timestamps.

Yeah I have read about the button sequence too, like Start + Select + L + PS + Power for 15 seconds, I mean no harm in trying this too right?

1 hour ago, NaRayquaza said:

Yeah I have read about the button sequence too, like Start + Select + L + PS + Power for 15 seconds, I mean no harm in trying this too right?

No harm, at least for me. They say it can solve some minor issues not related to physical problem of the battery, but i got no benefit from it. Maybe for you will be different.

After this method, on first power up vita will ask you to input time and date. As I said, remember to sync them using the online function after and if you try this method. Setting them only manually while being offline may result in missing timestamps for trophy gained after that process.

Good luck with your problem

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ddrakner said:

No harm, at least for me. They say it can solve some minor issues not related to physical problem of the battery, but i got no benefit from it. Maybe for you will be different.

After this method, on first power up vita will ask you to input time and date. As I said, remember to sync them using the online function after and if you try this method. Setting them only manually while being offline may result in missing timestamps for trophy gained after that process.

Good luck with your problem

Thanks! And yes it seems I could use the button combinations properly (it indeed asked me for time and date), now I have to check how the battery is doing.

2 hours ago, Blood-Stalker1 said:

The thing I did was play it until the battery dies wait a few minutes fully charged it 

after that it fix it self 

That's good to know, I can still hope then and avoid opening it if not really necessary.

• Like 1