PS5 Download Size

Does anyone know why the PS4 version is 45GB and the PS5 version is only 20GB? If I transfer or delete the PS4 version will the PS5 version still work or do they share data? Bit confused about the whole PS4/PS5 upgrade thing. I'm using a PS4 disc with the PS5 free upgrade.

4 hours ago, Mayadome said:

Does anyone know why the PS4 version is 45GB and the PS5 version is only 20GB? If I transfer or delete the PS4 version will the PS5 version still work or do they share data? Bit confused about the whole PS4/PS5 upgrade thing. I'm using a PS4 disc with the PS5 free upgrade.

4 hours ago, HusKy said:

Apparently, PS5 uses better compression for game files. Many of the PS5 games that have PS4 version are significantly smaller including Spider-Man: MM and Control*.

* https://twistedvoxel.com/control-ultimate-edition-file-size/

Its not compression size, they architected the code to only pull the specific assets needed to match the hardware it’s for. There was a great explanation in Road to PS5 that said PS5 users should se significantly smaller install and patch sizes because of this. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Its not compression size, they architected the code to only pull the specific assets needed to match the hardware it’s for. There was a great explanation in Road to PS5 that said PS5 users should se significantly smaller install and patch sizes because of this. 

Obviously, PS5 version only downloads PS5 assets and vice versa for PS4.

However, they absolutely did improve compression. Just google "Oodle Kraken" and you will find ton of articles from 2020 about this.

edit. I found this excellent blog post on this topic: https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/09/how-oodle-kraken-and-oodle-texture.html?m=1

Since then we've made huge progress on improving the compression ratio of GPU textures, with Oodle Texture which encodes them such that subsequent Kraken compression can find patterns it can exploit. The result is that we expect the average compression ratio of games to be much better in the future, closer to 2 to 1.

Edited by HusKy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HusKy said:

However, they absolutely did improve compression. Just google "Oodle Kraken" and you will find ton of articles from 2020 about this.

edit. I found this excellent blog post on this topic: https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/09/how-oodle-kraken-and-oodle-texture.html?m=1

You're right, I thought I typed "just" compression.

Here is the part in The Road to PS5 where Mark talks about compression (it's about 10% better than PS4 compression) being different on PS5.

https://youtu.be/ph8LyNIT9sg?t=1013

Anyway, there is a good explanation before that compression piece about how the PS5 software architecture eliminates seeks by eliminating redundant code that would be needed on PS4 because of the HDD technology and how the elimination of the redundant code can significantly reduce the codebase size.

40 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Obviously, PS5 version only downloads PS5 assets and vice versa for PS4.

I wasn't talking about downloading from the PS store downloading PS5 assets, I was talking about the game code itself reading the same tree asset over and over to display trees instead of needing 1000 trees loaded into the level before playing like a PS4 would need.

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Here is the part in The Road to PS5 where Mark talks about compression (it's about 10% better than PS4 compression) being different on PS5.

https://youtu.be/ph8LyNIT9sg?t=1013

Yeah, but he only compares Kraken vs zlib which is indeed ~10% gain. But it's the combination of Kraken + Oodle Texture that cuts the size for texture assets drastically (~2x). Hence the install size is significantly smaller. That's all from me. xD

And your second point does not relate to install size, or what am I missing?

10 minutes ago, HusKy said:

And your second point does not relate to install size, or what am I missing?

A PS4 level has to have the same assets copy and pasted to be reused in every level. Which will add to the install size.

A PS5 level only has to have an asset once and can call that same asset, reducing the install size. There are literally no duplicated assets needed in PS5 code which will significantly reduce install size if there are a lot of repeat assets.