Yojimbo: how many gil to raise affinity?

NightmarEnd

Hi, I'm almost done with sphere grid grind and post-game stuff. I'd like to use Yojimbo for Nemesis, Penance and maybe some of Dark Aeons.

Problem is I don't remember using Yojimbo at all in my playthrough so now I need to raise affinity. How do I go about it?

Do I grind battles against weak enemies and use Yojimbo to off them? How much do I pay him? 10k first battle and the raise the price? Or the opposite (pay more at first, then reduce the pay)?

Keep in mind I have about 6million Gil right now and I need some of those for the superbosses.

Thank you.

iirc, and it's been a while now, but I farmed up his affinity to 255 (estimated, as there's no in game number obviously) with 1-3k gil on some small fries in Besaid - if it fails too much you may have to start out with a larger sum but you have plenty. I was probably too finicky - I would reset whenever he rolled a negative affinity move (diagoro i think is the only negative).

Once it is at max, I think I did the Dark Yojimbo run dishing out around 100k - 300k gil per battle, to give you an idea of the amount you need. That one is the worst as you have to do, I think 5? Dark Yojimbos in a row, and if you teleport out early then the whole thing resets and you have to start again.

Grinding up affinity doesn't take long.

• Like 1

As far as I remember affinity is not a thing for Yojimbo (or any aeon). He will do his most powerful attack based on how much you pay him but even then it can rely on luck. So it is always possible to summon him, pay him an amount of gil and hope for the best, If it doesn't work out reload and try again. Since you need to unlock every sphere on the sphere grid anyway you'll be strong enough to beat the dark aeons and don't actually need him besides Penance. So just pay your 6 million for Penance and you should be okay.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NightmarEnd said:

Hi, I'm almost done with sphere grid grind and post-game stuff. I'd like to use Yojimbo for Nemesis, Penance and maybe some of Dark Aeons.

Problem is I don't remember using Yojimbo at all in my playthrough so now I need to raise affinity. How do I go about it?

Do I grind battles against weak enemies and use Yojimbo to off them? How much do I pay him? 10k first battle and the raise the price? Or the opposite (pay more at first, then reduce the pay)?

Keep in mind I have about 6million Gil right now and I need some of those for the superbosses.

Thank you.

try and pay him 536,870,912 to make him do the move

1 hour ago, Seqqeqeth said:

iirc, and it's been a while now, but I farmed up his affinity to 255 (estimated, as there's no in game number obviously) with 1-3k gil on some small fries in Besaid - if it fails too much you may have to start out with a larger sum but you have plenty. I was probably too finicky - I would reset whenever he rolled a negative affinity move (diagoro i think is the only negative).

Once it is at max, I think I did the Dark Yojimbo run dishing out around 100k - 300k gil per battle, to give you an idea of the amount you need. That one is the worst as you have to do, I think 5? Dark Yojimbos in a row, and if you teleport out early then the whole thing resets and you have to start again.

Grinding up affinity doesn't take long.

Thank you, exactly the info and examples I needed.

Good thing grinding affinity doesn't take long, I'm a little burned out from grinding spheres lol At least it's almost over

1 hour ago, Gommes_ said:

As far as I remember affinity is not a thing for Yojimbo (or any aeon). He will do his most powerful attack based on how much you pay him but even then it can rely on luck. So it is always possible to summon him, pay him an amount of gil and hope for the best, If it doesn't work out reload and try again. Since you need to unlock every sphere on the sphere grid anyway you'll be strong enough to beat the dark aeons and don't actually need him besides Penance. So just pay your 6 million for Penance and you should be okay.

There is a hidden affinity/friend mechanic with Yojimbo: the more he "likes" you the more likely he will use Zanmato (and for fewer gil, too). Basically: pay him a lot fairly often, make sure he doesn't ever die and he'll like you lol

I could just soft reset until he uses Zanmato but, idk, raising affinity seems kinda worth it. Shouldn't take too long and that way I have better chances at getting Zanmato often.

The weaker Dark Aeons are fine but the stronger ones can be difficult or tedious even with very good stats. I'll try fighting them normally but I'll make sure to have Yojimbo ready for backup.

58 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

try and pay him 536,870,912 to make him do the move

That's A LOT of gil I don't have lmao

Edited by NightmarEnd
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Correct, nothing like giving Yojimbo 2000 gil to off penance 

No difference if 1024 or 2047. xD 

In any case, just gotta "grind" him to max affinity. You won't know what it is though, that's the difficult part I guess. Super useful for all the dark aeons, but especially important to have high for the dark yojimbo fights.

• Like 1

Progress so far: grinded affinity for a bit and Yojimbo hasn't used his worst move (Daigoro) at all...and he has actually perfomed quite a few Zanmato for free. Nice!

I eventually got bored of grinding affinity (pretty sure I haven't maxed it yet) and just tried some superboss fights anyway.

Nemesis: Zanmato on first try lmao, paid 1.4 millions

Dark Aeons: pretty cool fights, defeated most of them without summoning Yojimbo*

*Exception: Dark Bahamut - I wasn't ready for Impulse and panick-summoned Yojimbo, paid him 262k and got Zanmato. Nice!

Still have to fight Dark Yojimbo and Penance and then I'm done. I want to try and fight Dark Yojimbo without Zanmato; I'll use that for Penance though.

I still have 7million gil lol

Edited by NightmarEnd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Damn, snake oil salesman over here.

Imagine assassinating a celestial/primordial being for what I'm assuming is the equivalent of a dollar

Ive taken down every Dark Aeon for less than 100 and all superbosses, too. I did spend a crap ton on Dark Yojimbo as I had to kill him 3 times.

19 minutes ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

Ive taken down every Dark Aeon for less than 100 and all superbosses, too. I did spend a crap ton on Dark Yojimbo as I had to kill him 3 times.

Idk some guide I followed way back said you can consistently get it for 2000 gil, but I was already Spira's Elon Musk at that point so I didnt mind spending it and honestly didn't try to go any lower. But it is pretty funny to see that

I dont remember exactly what I usually paid him on PS2, but it was sth. like:

I have 98765432 Gil 

I paid 87654321 Gil

Zanmato 99% of the time.

This could be totally wrong, only remember that I paid him sth. related to my actual balance. 

On 3/20/2021 at 4:07 PM, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Idk some guide I followed way back said you can consistently get it for 2000 gil, but I was already Spira's Elon Musk at that point so I didnt mind spending it and honestly didn't try to go any lower. But it is pretty funny to see that

But as explained earlier, if you give 1024 or 2047, makes zero difference.

I used Yojimbo for Penance and Nemesis, everything else I beat legitimately - I didn't stat max all that time for nothing lol. I barely used Yojimbo but when I did I always paid him over 1,000 Gil, as I recalled you lose rep so to speak with him if it was under that.

I think I had around 4 million Gil, 1.5 was enough for Nemesis first try, 2.5 after 2 or 3 attempts took out Penance. 

• Like 1

On 27/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, da-Noob123 said:

I used Yojimbo for Penance and Nemesis, everything else I beat legitimately - I didn't stat max all that time for nothing lol. I barely used Yojimbo but when I did I always paid him over 1,000 Gil, as I recalled you lose rep so to speak with him if it was under that.

I think I had around 4 million Gil, 1.5 was enough for Nemesis first try, 2.5 after 2 or 3 attempts took out Penance. 

Yeah, I ended up doing the same. Used Zanmato only for Nemesis and Penance (...and Dark Bahamut because I wasn't actually ready to fight him and I panicked). The Dark Aeons fights were cool, I enjoyed fighting them legit.

On 28/3/2021 at 1:01 AM, Yoranto said:

If you pay him 7777 he will always hit.

With high affinity? Or even without? I need to go back and try, I'm curious now.

Also, good to see you here! Running TLOU, trophy hunting and helping people out with their trophies; that's real nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightmarEnd said:

Yeah, I ended up doing the same. Used Zanmato only for Nemesis and Penance (...and Dark Bahamut because I wasn't actually ready to fight him and I panicked). The Dark Aeons fights were cool, I enjoyed fighting them legit.

With high affinity? Or even without? I need to go back and try, I'm curious now.

Also, good to see you here! Running TLOU, trophy hunting and helping people out with their trophies; that's real nice.

Thank you mate <3 I've never heard anything about affinity tbh. All I know is that I've read somewhere that 7777 works, so I tried it for Penance and it immediately worked. Also I've heard it only works for the remasters, not for the Ps2 versions.

• Like 1