Will We Ever Stop trophy Hunting?

Gotakibono

I took a couple years off gaming.

I’ve caught up and my interest in the medium has slowed again.

I might stop at 100 plats as disinterest and a fully cleared backlog converge.

But I’m not gonna lie I’d like to be in the gold echelon. It’s dumb but it is what it is. 

• 9 months later...

Not sure, I have no intention of retiring from trophy hunting. At first I thought about retiring once I get 30 more plats but in the back of my head I know I won't lol. I feel like I'll persist but  my problem is unlike some fortunate people that have time. I have to work a full time job that costs me 12 hours of the day x5 a week. Grinding it out twice a week is insufficient for my progress and other goals that I have. I'm not a multitasking kind of person, I wanted to go back to focusing on my modelling and enhance my career. Trophy hunting takes alot of my time, time that is valuable in my 20's, I'm trying hard to find the bare minimum but it's not going to work out for me. It's only a matter of time for me I guess. 

To me , trophy hunting is no different from going for 120 stars in mario 64 or catching all 150+ pokemon gen 1 back in the day. Its just proof i finished the game to the fullest and if a game has a reasonable trophy list with no ridiculous grinds and isn't too time consuming i dont understand why any real gamer wont at least attempt to get as much done as possible in a game they legit enjoy. I can understand not having time for huge 100 hour rpgs, or only plays 1 or 2 games a year and only touch multiplayer but if you cant find time to at least get your moneys worth out of a game i question whether you even liked a game since most games award you with at least 10-20 trophies on a normal blind playthrough.

I don't see myself stopping gaming until I'm on my deathbed and can literally not do anything anymore. So as long as trophies still exist by then I will get them.

I've been a completitionist ever since I started gaming way back in the day. I used to get try to get 100% items etc, but that takes way too much time so nowadays I consider completion when I get 100% trophies. My retired Xbox account is also at 100% https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/bryanto1989

Edited by Thedah

On 3/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, Exeshow678 said:

I'm still technically new to the trophy hunting scene, I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary which is on March 24th, im 16 as of now, so I've still got awhile before anything major happens with me and im not a "hardcore" trophy hunter, so i'll probably be doing it for awhile

p.s 100th post, whooo!  

For what it’s worth I’m so happy to see new folks hoping the hobby! I worry it’s only the addicted few who got hooked back on the PS3, and as we all get old I feared Sony would drop trophies if interest waned. If younger gamers like you are into them though I think the future is bright! Hook your friends! ;)

My habits tend to evolve and change, but I’m not sure I’ll stop trophy hunting. Prior to 2014 I liked achievements and trophies but didn’t seek completions. Since getting an Xbox One and PS4, I focused more on completionism (100%) and that has stuck.

I’m happy with my profile(s) depth, but in 2022 I hope to become very efficient and focus purely on AAA’s and good indie games (if they are easy by design, so be it). I game like this anyway, Quality > quantity is direction I’ve been trending in for a while now, but I do have VN lapses every now and then in very quiet spells. Also had a weird couple of months in 2021 where a ton of old easy completions all had substantial free updates (Xitilion) so I felt compelled to re-complete them.

I’m also hoping to span my hobbies out a bit. I’ve got back into reading after a 5-year break (1st degree burnout) and am watching the MCU universe and anime, two things I’ve never done historically but am enjoying. 

I used to see myself never stopping, but I did stop trophy hunting in March or April last year.  I found myself hating on playing the game a specific way, in order to achieve the efficient path of popping the trophies, it was ruining my fun.  It was more stressful as I would worry and look up trophy guides while playing, in case I had missed a missable.  It felt like I was being railroaded, and coupled with the fact that I was wasting nearly the same amount of time doing tedious stuff to pop a few more trophies than it took for me to finish the game in the first place, I knew I had to stop.  Now, I'm having more fun in gaming and getting through my backlog faster by not having to collect all the meaningless collectables or playing the game a specific way (but not the way I wanted).  I never played a game just for the easy trophies, so the burnout was from games I had enjoyed playing.

• Like 2