The Order 1886 Sequel

SanguinousRex

30 minutes ago, SanguinousRex said:

The Order 1886 came out SIX YEAR AGO but the graphics and storyline still blow my mind away.  I'd go as far as say it looks better then PS4 games that came out in 2020 and almost as good as some PS5 graphics.  I can only imagine how good a sequel would do if they could push the PS5 graphics the way they did the PS4.  Most of the complaints were that you had limited freedom of choice which I agree with (but if you approach it like I did, as an awesome shooter/video game that could have been a movie) and I think with a sequel they could potentially make it more open world.  Has anyone else played The Order 1886 that agrees with me?

I might be a minority voice when I say that I firmly believe that The Order 1886 was the starting point for Sony and their cinematic approach towards games. Clearly, later 1st Party Titles had much more immersive and expanded worlds, as well as much much longer gameplay, but I think that The Order was kind of sort of the testbed for that formula. If a sequel has the same attention and care given to it as TLOU2 or GoW, they would have another smash hit on their hands. the setting and vibe is excellent, and the world was gorgeous and still looks eons better than some games that are coming out now. I hope a sequel is in the works, this game and its world could be such a wonderful series if it happens

• Like 3

Absolutely amazing game i would love a sequel or similar game on PS5 to make use of the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

I bought it for around £5 very late on because i didn't really know it would be this good, was it £40 on launch everyone complained about? I think it was worth that, i also loved how it really used every feature on the dualshock 4 controller, special game.

• 2 months later...

I first played this game during it's release week. I still got the bill from the store where I bought it in the game's case.  23.02.2015 - man hard to believe that's so long ago.

I straight payed 70 bucks for it back then ? But tbh I did not mind at all, I was so stunned by the visuals in the earls PS4 era that I did not mind it having a quite short of a story.

Now I decided to give this game another chance and still do like it, but I also understand people who did not enjoy it that much because, like already mentioned, it seems more like a (very good looking) tech demo

• Like 1

To be honest, I think a sequel could be a good game - the world was interesting enough to support one - but if feels like the negative aspects the name would bring with it probably outweigh the benefits.

The shortness of the game is practically a meme at this point, and it is pretty much the first thing you think of when the name is mentioned. The next thing after that is likely “style over substance”

For all that a sequel could work, it’d probably be in any company who tackled it’s interest to just learn from the good aspects, and use whatever tech they would use for a sequel to build something new - and just say it’s “inspired by” rather a direct “sequel to.”

That way they get whatever amount of 1886 fans there are in the door, without pushing away other folks who only know or remember the poorer aspects.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sorry, but Oder 1886 is downright not good. Outside of the gimmicky graphics, the gameplay is mediocre, the storyline is actually terrible with some awful writing and characters, especially the main lead. Also, only two boss fights that are practically identical where you can break the dumb A.I. was pretty embarrasing. The game always felt more like tech demo than a full fledged game that was a set up to a pretty boring storyline.
There is a reason why it was never revisited and in all honesty, it's probably best it stays that way.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MarcusPunisher said:

the storyline is actually terrible with some awful writing and characters, especially the main lead.

I enjoyed the story, as did apparently a lot of us on the site. However I didn’t realize the game is a shooter when I started it recently so struggle to appreciate the game from that aspect. 

I’d appreciate a sequel done in a third person style something akin to Infamous 1 and 2. 

I’m going to speculate the reason it wasn’t revisited is largely due to the main complaint of cost/length the game got ad nauseam when it launched. I think that could easily be remedied these days. 

• Like 2

The Order: 1886 is a very underrated game. The whole steampunk Victorian-Era setting where a secret society of long-living Knights of The Round Table hunt down mythological creatures hidden from the general public was awesome. The game looked great as well. They could have done a lot more with it unfortunately. But what they did do was great.

• Like 3

I would defend The Order if it wasn't for the copy/pasted "boss fight". and the shitty stealth section, although to be fair, a lot of beloved games do this (spider man for example)

the complaint that I always found funny, was that a full chapter of the game was a cutscene, I always found that one silly

anyway, I think people were more negative in 2015 than now, people were waiting for a reason to shit on the new consoles. there were many channels on youtube focused on that 

Edited by TalalHmd