Best game to start with

RedDevil757

I've tried to get into this series twice now but a long time ago (the first two games) and just didn't like it. I've continued to hear good about the series so I'm here to ask which is the best to start with? This one? I hear the 3rd is good. But PS3 or PS4 version if that's the case. This will be the 3rd and final chance this series gets ?

Thanks in advance.

3 is my favorite Far Cry game other than  Blood Dragon. After 3 they get pretty samey, but each one is bigger and there's more and more stuff to do. I found 5 to be a little overwhelming there was so much. For me, 3 had the right balance of map size, stuff to do, and story beats. I can't recommend you a version of 3 as I played it on 360 way back when it first came out, but if the PS3 version is at all comparable I'd say it holds up pretty well.

I would start with 3. Maybe even get the PS4 version and you won't have to worry about co op. Than Blood Dragon would be good for a follow up. After that it is a toss up. You could go in order and play 4 than 5 and New Dawn with Primal last. Primal was my least favorite out of those and I like New Dawn better than 5 but there is things in New Dawn that refer back to 5.

31 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

I've tried to get into this series twice now but a long time ago (the first two games) and just didn't like it. I've continued to hear good about the series so I'm here to ask which is the best to start with? This one? I hear the 3rd is good. But PS3 or PS4 version if that's the case. This will be the 3rd and final chance this series gets ?

Thanks in advance.

Far Cry 5 is my favorite game of the series, but I don't think many people are sharing my opinion. :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jh7459 said:

This is the way to go, FC3 is great.  I also loved Primal but I think I'm in the minority on that one. 1f601.png

Nah I loved primal, its my favourite followed by New Dawn. 4 just felt the same as 3. 5 got stale towards the end.

• Like 1

Only one I haven’t played is Primal but I second starting with 3. It’s not essential to start with the first one as most of the games don’t tie into each other and it has a very different feel. 2 has its perks but isn’t as user friendly for beginners to the series.

I'd say 3 is the best, it has an amazing villain and while cheesy, the story actually makes you feel a bit of that "descent into madness" so to speak. 4 is a reskin of 3 in my opinion. Weirdly, New Dawn is a safe choice in terms of pure gameplay, just enough of Far Cry to be fun, not enough to make you bored. 

Also, Blood Dragon. It's different and specific, kind of a spin off but if you like action movies from the 80s and 90s and have a sense of humor, you'll love it. 

• 2 months later...

3 was the first game I played in the series and it's still my favourite. PS3 or PS4 version doesn't really matter, it's the same game. Although the PS4 trophy list doesn't require you to do the half a dozen co-op missions in order to get the plat, so I'd say go with it.