Help me get over my trophy/achievement obsession

InvisibleBanana

just play games to play them. Find more to do with your life outside of gaming. get more than 1 job. Make less time for gaming.

i play a lot of games, but every day after work I don't play anything. I cook, shower, relax. Weekends are pretty much my game days and even then sometimes i just dont care to game.

Its nothing more than an imaginary digital statistic. Just game to enjoy it, don't make it a chore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Going on a trophy website asking how to stop going for trophies is like going into a shooting den asking for the best way to stop doing drugs.

This is incredibly accurate lol

To the OP, play some old games that you cherish that don't have trophies. And just play for the story or game play. 

After a while you'll see a difference 

FUN FACT from Dav9834

Years ago the Russians wanted to see how people would do psychologically on a trip to Mars. So they took volunteers and put them in essentially a shipping container for 12 months(no joke). They found the first 3 months were difficult for the people(understatement), getting worse and worse, and then, poof 3-4 months in they were "fine" and adapted. 

So for the most part people adapt in 3 months. This can be helpful for a lot of things. Jobs you don't like, diets, exercise, etc.

In your case, stay away from games with trophies for 3 months and you should start to adapt. Theoretically...

• Like 1

Take your consoles with trophies and put them in the closet. Don't play anything for a week or so. Then play some accessible game, like Mario Odyssey or something and you'll forget what trophies you even had on your profile.

Also if you really are missing the game history, you can just make your own at sites like backloggery, myvideogamelist etc. They're probably more accurate too all things considered.

On 3/21/2021 at 1:32 PM, Malex595 said:

Taking on a full time job/non gaming telated hobby/ girlfriend can help

^This. Ever since I bought a house last year, I have been obsessed with gardening (plants & flowers). It takes up the majority of my down time along with most of my disposable income. Other than Hitman 3, I don't even remember the last AAA I purchase. Probably squeeze in 90 minutes of gaming a day now compared to the previous 4 hours.

Probably not easy to find a different hobby you are obsessed with, but it's much easier to have an newer, healthier hobby than completely try to ditch the current one maybe.