Free ps4 version?

And, what if you own the PS5 disc version? Will that somehow allow us to download the PS4 version for free?

If it allows PS4 users to get a free PS5 version, it should work both ways (regardless if it's a digital or physical copy).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Graffin_G said:

And, what if you own the PS5 disc version? Will that somehow allow us to download the PS4 version for free?

If it allows PS4 users to get a free PS5 version, it should work both ways (regardless if it's a digital or physical copy).

I’m guessing that’s the “we are doing the same for physical” bit of the tweet.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

I’m guessing that’s the “we are doing the same for physical” bit of the tweet.

I wonder how they will do that. To my knowledge there isn't a single PS5 disc that gives you acces to the PS4 version.

1 minute ago, Klart said:

I wonder how they will do that. To my knowledge there isn't a single PS5 disc that gives you acces to the PS4 version.

There might not be a PS5 version of it yet, but when I purchased PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for PS3 on disc, it granted a digital copy for Vita as well. It's just a matter of using that option for PS5 discs.

3 hours ago, Klart said:

This is what they’ve said on Twitter. Although I wonder if they mean it literally, or just in the sense of “having the disc will allow you to unlock the digital version”

• Like 2

That’s actually my tweet.

I followed it up with another tweet asking if they’re sure.

Everything I’ve Googled & seen on YouTube suggests that the PS4 will not read PS5 discs - they just spin and need to be manually ejected.

So, I’m not sure how they’ll pull it off to give PS5 disc users a working PS4 version. I’m prepared to just trade in the PS5 disc copy I’ve got (and completed) for the PS4 disc that has both versions.

Why not play it again if it’s got a new trophy set!

Edited by Graffin_G
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Pinselneo said:

I dont have an option to downgrade mit ps5 version^^

try to download from the store website, it should be free. It will have 2 overcook game, one exclusive for PS5 and the other that says PS4/PS5, the second one is the PS4 version 

19 hours ago, BGriff1986 said:

This is what they’ve said on Twitter. Although I wonder if they mean it literally, or just in the sense of “having the disc will allow you to unlock the digital version”

I feel they've said the wrong thing - they mean you can play the PS4 version if you have the PS5 disc. PS5 discs are 100GB so the PS4 and Pro can't read them - unless they somehow were allowed to print it on a 50GB disc. Even so, I doubt the PS4 will actually read the disc

Well, yeah. PS5 discs are UHD format (like a 4K movie... only 4K Blu-ray players can play them), so logically, the PS4 and even PS4 Pro won’t be able to read or play a PS5 disc.

Is it even possible to play the PS4 version on the PS5 using the disc? (Just so we can get the trophies from the PS4 release)

1 hour ago, rwd1997 said:

try to download from the store website, it should be free. It will have 2 overcook game, one exclusive for PS5 and the other that says PS4/PS5, the second one is the PS4 version 

It appears twice for me, but both versions show as $54.95 (AU PSN). I’m guessing it’ll only show as “free” if you bought the digital version or PS4 physical disc.

The way the tweet was phrased is they implied PS5 disc owners could just stick the disc in a PS4 and that would give us the PS4 version. I don’t know about you, but I don’t fancy manually ejecting a stuck/spinning disc.

38 minutes ago, Graffin_G said:

It appears twice for me, but both versions show as $54.95 (AU PSN). I’m guessing it’ll only show as “free” if you bought the digital version or PS4 physical disc.

The way the tweet was phrased is they implied PS5 disc owners could just stick the disc in a PS4 and that would give us the PS4 version. I don’t know about you, but I don’t fancy manually ejecting a stuck/spinning disc.

With a few upgrades now, you go to the tile and push down, then to the right you'll see a square advert telling you to click that for a free upgrade - that should 'buy' the free version for you. That's what Yakuza and Marvel Avengers did. 

55 minutes ago, turniplord said:

With a few upgrades now, you go to the tile and push down, then to the right you'll see a square advert telling you to click that for a free upgrade - that should 'buy' the free version for you. That's what Yakuza and Marvel Avengers did. 

On the PS4 or PS5?

With the PS5 game disc inserted?

I’ve “upgraded” PS4 games to Ps5 versions on the PS5 before but never “downgraded”. Didn’t think it was possible. 

Just now, Graffin_G said:

On the PS4 or PS5?

With the PS5 game disc inserted?

I’ve “upgraded” PS4 games to Ps5 versions on the PS5 before but never “downgraded”. Didn’t think it was possible. 

PS5, you can't do it on the PS4, it'll just be the PS4 version on the PS5 as you need the disc in the tray (unless bought digitally).

Hitman 3, for example, came with both versions for the VR - so if you bought the PS5 version on disc, you could unlock and download the PS4 version on the PS5 to use in VR.

I’m just not seeing that option.

I scroll down on the tile once and get Play

go down again Activities

go down a 3rd time - I see the Add-ons with Swedish Chef

if I go down and right, I just get the ... and 100% 43/43 progress showing

I’ve tried view product/switching to PS4 | Overcooked PS4 & PS5 but it’s locked

I’m stumped!

10 minutes ago, turniplord said:

PS5, you can't do it on the PS4, it'll just be the PS4 version on the PS5 as you need the disc in the tray (unless bought digitally).

Hitman 3, for example, came with both versions for the VR - so if you bought the PS5 version on disc, you could unlock and download the PS4 version on the PS5 to use in VR.

Could you please post a screenshot of where to look or what to do to get the PS4 version off the PS5 disc?

it doesn’t seem to matter what I try it’s still coming up as $54.95. Only the Swedish Chef add on was free.

1 hour ago, Graffin_G said:

I’m just not seeing that option.

I scroll down on the tile once and get Play

go down again Activities

go down a 3rd time - I see the Add-ons with Swedish Chef

if I go down and right, I just get the ... and 100% 43/43 progress showing

I’ve tried view product/switching to PS4 | Overcooked PS4 & PS5 but it’s locked

I’m stumped!

Could you please post a screenshot of where to look or what to do to get the PS4 version off the PS5 disc?

it doesn’t seem to matter what I try it’s still coming up as $54.95. Only the Swedish Chef add on was free.

Just read again that you needed the disc version, did not knew the game got a disc version because im my country we did not receive one, my bad, sorry for the confusion. But you can try to ask them on twitter how to do it, since they said that is possible, but i'm pretty sure that is impossible to a ps5 disc be read by a ps4, but if you have a ps4 you can try it on, it does not hurt to try. but my guest is that if is possible to play the older version they will probably  patch the ps5 disc to play on the ps5 the ps4 edition going on the 3 dots to change the edition, if this is not the case i don't think is possible. But since they said that is possible keep asking them how to do it 

Screw it. Traded in my PS5 copy for the PS4 disc version (cost me $13.95 difference), but even then the PS4 version is the default install on the PS5 and because I had the PS5 disc version previously it was now locked. Had to go to the PSN Store search for Overcooked and grab the free upgrade from there and all is sweet again with save data intact.

Now have both versions happily coexisting on the PS5 and also got it on my PS4 Pro just in case.

Too bad the trophies don’t auto pop for the PS4 version!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the digital ps5 version that came out in 2020.

I can't figure out where to get the ps4 version. Everywhere i go on the store it wants to charge me like its a new product for the ps4/ps5 that came out in march this year.

Did someone with the old ps5 digital one can download the new ps4/ps5 one ?

Edited by Zmx969

On 4/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, Zmx969 said:

I have the digital ps5 version that came out in 2020.

I can't figure out where to get the ps4 version. Everywhere i go on the store it wants to charge me like its a new product for the ps4/ps5 that came out in march this year.

Did someone with the old ps5 digital one can download the new ps4/ps5 one ?

I was having the same issue, it said view product on PS store.

Went to check the game on my PS4 and was able to download it, now it shows up as free on PS5! 

Edited by aldreezi