Need advices on getting back into it.

Hello,

On my way to clean up my last games from my ps3 backlog, I decided to play Castlevania's two dlcs.

The thing is it has been 10 years (oh my god) since I obtained the platinum.

Anyways I had just completed GoW (PS4) on give me a challenge difficulty and because the games have similarities I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to adjust. After all I've just beaten a Valkyrie queen.

Therefore I launch the game, start the first DLC on paladin difficulty and try out the controls. Seems pretty basic. Blocking, combos, magic, I'm used to this. The area is pretty by the way.

I get slaughtered by the first ghouls creatures I come across. 

If there are still players browsing this forum I would like some advice on getting back into it. Tell me the basics on combat, how and when to use magic etc. It seems I can't just hold the block button, these supposedly low levels enemies just go through it. Evading is pretty bad too.

I don't really feel like restarting the game from scratch, never had to do this before to clean up dlc.

Thank you.

I'm currently playing this game so I can probably help you a bit.  I'm about half way through the game on my first playthrough and starting to get used to everything.  I'm actually worried I will never play the DLC because I do not own it and it seems to be extremely hard to find.  Did you buy the deluxe edition?

I've tried several times to go back and do a clean up for this game on the highest difficulty using chapter select. But I have no idea how to play it any more, and with chapter select, the game has absolutely no instructions or tutorials. Like the first level, there's essentially a quick time event to pick up a log, but it doesn't even prompt you to do it, let alone tell you which button you need to press. And then there is trying to relearn the combat... What a pain this game is.

18 hours ago, jmbrown63052 said:

I'm currently playing this game so I can probably help you a bit.  I'm about half way through the game on my first playthrough and starting to get used to everything.  I'm actually worried I will never play the DLC because I do not own it and it seems to be extremely hard to find.  Did you buy the deluxe edition?

I bought the Lords of Shadow Collection edition, but if I remember correctly, the code inside was already used or expired and I had to buy the 2 dlcs on the ps store. Maybe I used the PC version of the psn store. Now that Sony closed the ps3 and vita sections it might not be possible, I don't know.

I thought GoW was challenging enough, in a good way, but Castlevania seems much more difficult and or least less intuitive.

I put the game on standby for now. I will probably finish Killzone HD, Dishonored and Dead Space 2 before coming back to it... Eventually playing through the story again on normal / hard difficulty.

Edited by Gewehr_FR

When i got back to this a year ago after not playing for a few years, i started to learn stuff again on normal. Look through the main menu book to learn some useful combo's again and watch the examples of how successfully execute them and learn to block and counter properly. You have to block exactly at the right time, just before an enemy hits you to block and counter the attack.

I had to plat the game, so i guess that experience helped but the DLC's are alot harder then the main game. The ghouls cant be grabbed anymore for an easy win, Chapter 13 is more puzzle focussed but there are some annoying enemy encounters which will take some practice The Forgotten one in Chapter 14 on Paladin is somewhat frustrating, need to use hit and run tactics there.

Watch the videos from On3ManCr3w on youtube if youre having trouble.

• Like 1