Worth going for the platinum? And is it still possible to do without a headach?

It is still possible but I would say that it isn't worth it! Having to play the multiplayer for about 20 hours alone to grind to level 50 is NOT worth it.

If you want to play the trilogy and want the story from the first one but don't want to have an unfinished game on your profile, play it on another account and then continue with number 2.

• Like 3

Unless you're really determine to platinum the entire trilogy then it's really not worth the time and energy; this is coming from someone who did both the ps3 and ps4 versions (only because I vastly enjoyed the campaign).

If you really want to tackle it then I suggest boosting some of the trophies with a group since the mp is practically dead at this stage. The rest can be solo'ed but you'll have an excessive grind ahead of you, that's where netflix comes in handy for the most part. 

• Like 2

I used four consoles (a couple borrowed) to grind some of these trophies, then spent 15-20 hours to grind to Level 60 and get all the scrap I needed.... both on PS3 and PS4. IF you're willing to put in the time to get some decently rare plats then sure, it's probably worth it, but they'll be sitting unfinished in my list for quite a while to come yet.

Main story can be done in 1 day with the help of a guide to ensure all collectibles ect are picked up without much need for back tracking. Your probably looking at around 3 days to cover the online and that's with boosting everything minus the rank 60 which can be done solo....earphones in, music on and go for it. You got this!!

• Like 2

The first part of the Reboot series was the worst. I like Rise and Shadow, but Part 1 was not fun in single player as well. Just the constant camera shake while running meant that I would not continue to play it. Fortunately, that didn't exist in the next few parts. I'm also a big fan of multiplayer games, but I didn't enjoy the MP part in this game.

So if you like hard work and use games not to play but as work then give it a try.

The online from the first is quite tiresome, reaching lv 50 takes forever, and you also have to worry about the Chatterbox Trophy, which can be glitchy and you may need to replay the game all over again.

Shadow is definitely the most doable, so if you're able to enjoy that one, go for the platinium

I liked the rebooted trilogy overall, but I think the first one is the weakest.

Not a bad game by any stretch, but comparatively it was the one where they were still finding their feet.

Mechanically they only get better across the trilogy, but story-wise, they get a bit more ridiculous each time, so Rise (the second game) is probably the sweet spot in terms of overall game quality. It also happens to feature no Competetive MP (a plus, as the first one's MP was pretty bare-bones and not a great time), but has a very robust and fun Cooperative 2 player survival mode. 

I'd still recommend the whole trilogy though - it's a fun ride, and a surprisingly modern feeling set of games, considering the long established roots of the franchise, and they did a really admirable job turning Lara from a 'big-boobs and guns' cypher to a somewhat rounded character.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

After i got the platinum trophy on PS4 and all achievements on Steam, is not worth it, i love the single player but the multiplayer is a lot of boring grind, you need to put 15 hours just to get 2 trophies and also you need at least 4 people for the other one, but i know i will probably try to get the platinum trophy even on PS3...

I would say try the mp on a alt account and see if you like it but you'll probably don't, and even if you do it's probably dead by now.

Imho the trilogy platinums are not worth it, the first one cause of mp, Rise has a really weird second walkthrough with cards acting as modifiers and Shadow climbing mechanics were a nightmare for me even on my first playthrough, and you're supposed to beat it only saving at checkpoints.

I liked the trilogy despite the plats and the first game was my favourite followed by Rise, hated many things in Shadow though.

Servers are unstable and you need a group for ranked match in order to get the related trophy on Tomb Raider Definitive edition.Also on Rise servers sucks too.I can't do co-o with a friend and i need to find another player in order to get 100% completition on Rise.The most annoying trophy is to grind mp level in order to unlock skin and do weapons upgrade on definitive edition.Quit out works for the ranked matches on Definitive.Also you can boost exp on Definitive Edition trading kills with a friend but be careful to set a low score match on option otherwise there is a possibility game will crash and lost all your progress.Even if i don't own the dlc i loved Shadow.The only difficult trophy will be the difficulty related trophy but if you even exeperience with Uncharted or The Last of Us it won't be a problem.

You will need at least 3 other people to get the ranked win trophy. Requires 4 people to start the match. But everything else can be done with either 1 or 2 other people in private matches. You need at least 2 other people to get the blow 2 people up with one explosion trophy. Good luck if you go for the platinum, hitting level 60 is a massive grind. 

• 5 months later...

I'm in the process right now, and it's not worth it (of course I will grind through). The campaign is alright, I'm not too crazy about the story or characters but I don't want to get into politics or trying to review it. But yeah, campaign trophies are easy, and it was fairly enjoyable. Multiplayer trophies are a huge grind, and you will need to find team to boost at least one of the trophies. Levelling up is possible legit, by the way of good ol' grind. But if you suck at competitive multiplayer shooters like I do, it will take ages. I know it took me ages to reach level 33. The fact that I got disconnected from 50% of the matches, or that it takes ages to load doesn't help either. Oh, and at least by my evaluation, multiplayer sucks. What I find surprising, that most of the active players are level 60, so I'm assuming they are playing it for fun!! Mindboggling!!

Edited by depresso-cat
Gramma

It’s still possible, yes. But whether or not it’s worth it largely depends on how patient you are when it comes to tedious grinding.

When I played this a couple years ago it was my first Tomb Raider in many, many years, since messing around on one or two of the old PC classics way back as a kid. For this reason I found it to be pretty impressive and fun to play, and the modern graphics/gameplay coupled with a more realistic and well acted depiction of Lara Croft was pretty cool. The story was just ok, but I still found the campaign really enjoyable anyways since it was my first Tomb Raider game in so long and it kinda scratched that Uncharted itch I had after finishing those games. Clearing the 100% in the single player is not bad at all and wasn’t too grindy from what I remember.

The real platinum blocker for most people is the multiplayer stuff, particularly the online grind to level 60.

The good news is that unlike many other games, you can actually gain XP by playing solo in a private lobby, which means the XP is very easy to get, you can grind at your own pace, and you don’t have to worry about coordinating with other boosters or dealing with griefers and trolls online.

The bad news is that the solo XP grind is incredibly tedious and mind numbing and will push many players to the limits of their sanity if they’ve never done something like this before. The best XP method basically consists of running around an empty private lobby, picking up med-packs and dropping them off at designated locations on the map. Over, and over, and over, and over again…. for like 20-30 hours (can’t remember the exact timeframe, but it’s awful).

To even stand a chance of completing this you’re going to have to load up on some music albums and podcasts, or set up a TV or laptop nearby so that you can watch TV shows and movies while you grind. This will make the grind bearable and go by quicker than you expect. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 5:21 AM, LockheedPrime said:

it's pretty standard PS3 gen multiplayer stuff, you need to boost most of the trophies and do a 15-20 hour grind for the max level trophies, nothing too crazy, it's worth it IMO

On 3/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, Dream_Hero_Nemo said:

You will need at least 3 other people to get the ranked win trophy. Requires 4 people to start the match. But everything else can be done with either 1 or 2 other people in private matches. You need at least 2 other people to get the blow 2 people up with one explosion trophy. Good luck if you go for the platinum, hitting level 60 is a massive grind. 

On 8/29/2021 at 0:15 PM, dieselmanchild said:

It’s still possible, yes. But whether or not it’s worth it largely depends on how patient you are when it comes to tedious grinding.

When I played this a couple years ago it was my first Tomb Raider in many, many years, since messing around on one or two of the old PC classics way back as a kid. For this reason I found it to be pretty impressive and fun to play, and the modern graphics/gameplay coupled with a more realistic and well acted depiction of Lara Croft was pretty cool. The story was just ok, but I still found the campaign really enjoyable anyways since it was my first Tomb Raider game in so long and it kinda scratched that Uncharted itch I had after finishing those games. Clearing the 100% in the single player is not bad at all and wasn’t too grindy from what I remember.

The real platinum blocker for most people is the multiplayer stuff, particularly the online grind to level 60.

The good news is that unlike many other games, you can actually gain XP by playing solo in a private lobby, which means the XP is very easy to get, you can grind at your own pace, and you don’t have to worry about coordinating with other boosters or dealing with griefers and trolls online.

The bad news is that the solo XP grind is incredibly tedious and mind numbing and will push many players to the limits of their sanity if they’ve never done something like this before. The best XP method basically consists of running around an empty private lobby, picking up med-packs and dropping them off at designated locations on the map. Over, and over, and over, and over again…. for like 20-30 hours (can’t remember the exact timeframe, but it’s awful).

To even stand a chance of completing this you’re going to have to load up on some music albums and podcasts, or set up a TV or laptop nearby so that you can watch TV shows and movies while you grind. This will make the grind bearable and go by quicker than you expect. Good luck!

I have all 3 recent Tomb Raider games but have not started them.

Something is not adding up for the time needed for this one to me.  Both Guides list estimated time to platinum as 25 hours.

But in this thread, people are saying you basically need that much time just for the MP grind!  What gives?

Are the SP/campaign trophies really quick/easy or is it a case that the trophy guides here underestimate a realistic time needed (not uncommon IMO)?

On 2021-08-30 at 0:44 PM, djb5f said:

I have all 3 recent Tomb Raider games but have not started them.

Something is not adding up for the time needed for this one to me.  Both Guides list estimated time to platinum as 25 hours.

But in this thread, people are saying you basically need that much time just for the MP grind!  What gives?

Are the SP/campaign trophies really quick/easy or is it a case that the trophy guides here underestimate a realistic time needed (not uncommon IMO)?

It’s often a case of the guides being inaccurate IMO, especially the ones here on PSNP which are based on the time estimate of the guide writer and not the average player. I find in most cases my time to completion for most games varies quite a bit from the guide estimates.

If you look at the comments posted on the ETA thread on PST.org you can see that people’s completion times vary wildly, and a lot of it has to do with how efficiently you tackle the online multiplayer. Most people seem to fall within the 30-40 hour range for this game. From what I remember the single player is rather short, it’s mostly the collectibles and grinding XP that take up the bulk of the time.

I should add that my own comment was based on the PS3 version of the game. I’m not sure if the PS4 Definitive Edition changed anything that would make it faster to platinum.

• Like 1

If you find a competent boosting partner is feasible to grind 115000xp per hour. But it's like true grind - I tend to waste hours on rpg games doing things that would be considered grinding, but I find it enjoyable - however the only fun in 2-player grinding is trying to get as much xp per match as possible, and it's still hours of repetition. So I guess if you rush through campaign with single mindedness of getting trophies, and if you have boosting partner at the ready it is certainly possible to platinum in 25 hour.