Does the Japanese psn store take visa card?

Hvalpen

Some say it cant take western credit cards, some say it can take visa/mastercard. So whats the truth here?

Furthermore, if it does take visa card, can i use th same visa card that im using at my actual regional psn store already?

The mark up on the yen psn cards is crazy, so im hoping it takes visa card.

It only accepts credit and debit cards that are registered to Japanese citizens - no Western cards are accepted. If you're after Z rated content, then you are out of luck if you live outside of Japan and there's no retail version available.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

It only accepts credit and debit cards that are registered to Japanese citizens - no Western cards are accepted. If you're after Z rated content, then you are out of luck if you live outside of Japan and there's no retail version available.

Can we purchase Z-rated games with Japanese PSN cards aka PSN money? :hmm:

I haven't tried purchasing Z-rated games yet, but I've purchased some non-Z rated games with PSN money.

• 1 month later...

In the USA, I had been buying UK (GBP) PSN codes from cdkeys.com and AS (SGD) codes from play-asia.com.  Seemingly both sites have all of a sudden become region restricted.  Is anyone else having these issues?  Where can I now buy foreign PSN codes from the US with my MasterCard?

• 4 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 9:32 AM, DenDigger said:

If you want to use Visa/Mastercard, you will need one for that region (for this example; Japan Visa/Mastercard)

I get my Japanese PSN Gift cards from g2a, never had an issue where the codes didn't work..

You can get V-Preca cards from PlayAsia, which you can use with the vpc.lifecard site (gift card option - top right) to create the credentials necessary to set up a credit card and attach it to your PSN account, this bypasses the CERO-Z age restriction and allows you to purchase titles like Bioshock 2/Infinite, Psycho Break 1 and 2, Mafia 1 and 2, Saints Row 3, Cod, Gta, Daymare

Thank you. Using a V-Preca card worked!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 22/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ric said:

So, can anyone explain how the V-Preca works? I've got a code, but I can't create an account on the vpc lifecard site. It gives me a 403 forbidden error.

Is there something I'm missing?

Edit:

Never mind, I figured it out. For anyone confused about this process, here's the steps I took to get this working:

1. Buy a V-Preca card from play-asia
  2. You will get your card number and a random activiation string on play-asia. Copy these.
  3. Go to the V-Preca website. https://vpc.lifecard.co.jp
  4. Click the "V-Preca Gift" button on top
  5. Click all 3 checkboxes to agree to the terms
  6. Click one of the blue buttons to continue
  7. Enter your random activation string from step 2 in the top field and the last 4 numbers of the card number in the second field
  8. Copy the captcha image in the last field and click on the blue button
  9. You will now see your card, there are 3 important details on it.
    1. The expiry date (second row, under Month/Year)
    2. Security number (to the right of the expiry date)
    3. Name (LIFE CARD)
  10. You will also be instructed to create an account or log in. You do not have to do this (and you probably can't for the same reason as I initially created the post)
  11. With the details, go to the PSN store and put a Cero Z game (or anything else in case you weren't just trying to circumvent the C Zero policy) in your cart.
  12. Add a payment method and select credit card.
  13. Enter the card number (type should be input automatically, if not select VISA), expiry date and security number and use LIFE CARD as the name. (I'm writing this after the case from memory, so you will have to try and use Google translate to figure out what goes where).
  14. Click the next button, you will be asked to enter an address.
  15. Use 8760842 as zip code (top field) and press the button next to it (it should complete the next 2 fields automatically)
  16. Enter something random in the address 1 field and you should be able to continue. (I used Kiriumachi, a random address I grabbed from https://www.bestrandoms.com/random-address-in-jp, be careful using those zip codes though, I could not get the other fields filled in automatically with zip codes from that site). As far as I could tell, there was no additional validation of this address field.
  17. Once this is all set up, you should be good to go, you may need to confirm your password to complete checkout.

Hope this helps everyone, because I found the info I could find on the internet lacking a lot.

Hello, found this thread through searching on Google, thank you for this. I tried to purchase Divinity OS2 on the japanese PSN, I didn't know about the Cero-Z rule so it cost me a prepaid card for nothing (guess I'll have to find other stuff to buy). The card registration worked fine but when I came to actually buying the game it wouldn't work, I'd always get an error message. I fixed it by using the Webstore version of the PSN and it went fine on the first time.

Just to add to this, not only do you need the card to verify your age, but it also uses funds from the card, it won't use funds in your wallet, this is another rule for Cero-Z games. Make sure you get a card with enough funds.

Another thing, the zip code you give doesn't make the autofill work, so I made some research and kinda learned some express japanese to sort it out... You should use 1550033 and autofill, it will give you this: 東京都 (Tokyo), 世田谷区 (Setagaya), then for the adress line just click the た symbol, click on the upper black bar with all the kanji and choose these two: 代田 (Daita).

Last thing, if you're lost in the menus in japanese, you can use the Google Lens app to translate directly from your phone/tablet camera or from taken pictures. This also can be used in games if not too dynamic. I hope they relaunch google glasses to the public someday and use these two together to finally play japanese games organically!

Edited by GastNDorf
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, GastNDorf said:

Hello, found this thread through searching on Google, thank you for this. I tried to purchase Divinity OS2 on the japanese PSN, I didn't know about the Cero-Z rule so it cost me a prepaid card for nothing (guess I'll have to find other stuff to buy). The card registration worked fine but when I came to actually buying the game it wouldn't work, I'd always get an error message. I fixed it by using the Webstore version of the PSN and it went fine on the first time.

Just to add to this, not only do you need the card to verify your age, but it also uses funds from the card, it won't use funds in your wallet, this is another rule for Cero-Z games. Make sure you get a card with enough funds.

Another thing, the zip code you give doesn't make the autofill work, so I made some research and kinda learned some express japanese to sort it out... You should use 1550033 and autofill, it will give you this: 東京都 (Tokyo), 世田谷区 (Setagaya), then for the adress line just click the た symbol, click on the upper black bar with all the kanji and choose these two: 代田 (Daita).

Last thing, if you're lost in the menus in japanese, you can use the Google Lens app to translate directly from your phone/tablet camera or from taken pictures. This also can be used in games if not too dynamic. I hope they relaunch google glasses to the public someday and use these two together to finally play japanese games organically!

Yeah, I think they've added additional checks or something. I have a new V-Preca card that I can't get accepted in the JP store. It just won't take it. It keeps telling me to verify my CC details and try again. It used to work, but then give me errors on checkout, so I removed it to try and add it again, and now it will just not add.

It's still a finicky way of trying to get Japanese content caused by archaic rules.

So for anyone trying to go this route, keep in mind that you might run into all sorts of issues while trying to get your prepaid credit card approved. (Officially, Sony doesn't support them at all, but I could still buy stuff with a previous V-Preca card I had already added to my account that still had some funds on it). The way I described is a way I got it to work before, but it is no garantee currently.

17 hours ago, Ric said:

Yeah, I think they've added additional checks or something. I have a new V-Preca card that I can't get accepted in the JP store. It just won't take it. It keeps telling me to verify my CC details and try again. It used to work, but then give me errors on checkout, so I removed it to try and add it again, and now it will just not add.

It's still a finicky way of trying to get Japanese content caused by archaic rules.

So for anyone trying to go this route, keep in mind that you might run into all sorts of issues while trying to get your prepaid credit card approved. (Officially, Sony doesn't support them at all, but I could still buy stuff with a previous V-Preca card I had already added to my account that still had some funds on it). The way I described is a way I got it to work before, but it is no garantee currently.

This sounds like the same issue I came into, try to find your content on the webstore: https://store.playstation.com/ (it should turn to the jp store when you log in with your account). Like I said, it worked instantly, whereas on the PS4 I tried to re enter the card like 10 times in different ways and I was ending up with error 820 or something like that (the number was a lot longer) when I was trying to checkout.

On 3-10-2022 at 4:06 PM, GastNDorf said:

This sounds like the same issue I came into, try to find your content on the webstore: https://store.playstation.com/ (it should turn to the jp store when you log in with your account). Like I said, it worked instantly, whereas on the PS4 I tried to re enter the card like 10 times in different ways and I was ending up with error 820 or something like that (the number was a lot longer) when I was trying to checkout.

Thanks, but I mainly use the webstore anyway, and it's not having it. Also tried through PS4 and the phone app, but no dice unfortunately.

Edit: And just like that, today it decided to let itself be added to my account again. What a system...

Edited by Ric

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 0:16 AM, X_Tsukihime_X said:

hey i followed the steps exactly but on check out it said the card was expired even though i does not expire until next year. can you help me please

Yeah, it seems the method got patched. I had a ton of trouble getting a Cero Z game bought some weeks ago.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2022-10-03 at 0:02 PM, Ric said:

Thanks, but I mainly use the webstore anyway, and it's not having it. Also tried through PS4 and the phone app, but no dice unfortunately.

Edit: And just like that, today it decided to let itself be added to my account again. What a system...

@Ric

Were you able to added New V Preca Card?

Edited by Witch-Burn-Buffy
Typos

On 12/20/2022 at 2:26 AM, Riyo_diculous said:

Hi everyone

Is V-Preca still work? Is it better to register via console or webstore?

Thank you :)

For me it has been working for general audience content, but not for mature content. I’ve been trying to get the JP only Melty Blood Type Lumina visual novel, but have been getting errors. The initial error was ❗️The card is expired, please try another card. Of course the one I had on file wasn’t dated to expire for until 3/23 so I’m sure it’s a misinterpretation. I can say you will get this message when you don’t have sufficient funds on the card.

I tried with a different card but it was the lower denomination (¥3000). The listing is ~¥4900 though, so that probably caused a different error, simply ⚠️ There was an error. I’ll have to retry with a ¥5000 card with the VN as the only item in the cart.