Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

Even if it's true, the articles doesn't mention things like stopping the syncing function or being not able to download pre-purchased digital games. Basically, it will be a mass delisting of titles, wich is nothing too weird considering the path Sony took recently.

If the announce will come by the end of the month, i guess I will start buying all the digitals only that i still miss. I will be mad for sure, but i can live with it.

2 minutes ago, JunkSkelington said:

No company cares about trophies to the extent people of this community would.  They're an afterthought at best.  If sony can't make money with the store shutdown expecting them to support trophies out of their own pocket on a dead system seems like pretty wishful thinking.

RE: PSNow.  PSnow has nothing to do with PS3 support even if PSNow has PS3 games.  PSNow is a cloud streaming service that works on modern machines, has nothing to do with supporting an online network for a 15 year old console.

The reason why I mentioned PS Now is because the PS3 part of it is streaming games from PS3s.  It uses the same network a PS3 accesses to sync trophies.  Logically if they are getting rid of PS3 support entirely, the PS3 streaming part of PS Now would also be included in this.

Also, the servers being accessed for trophy syncing are ones still being used by the PS4 and PS5 because it's stored on profiles.  That's why PS4 and PS5 can see your PS3 and Vita trophies  What they would have to do to remove trophy syncing is actually outright block the PS3 and Vita from being able to access those servers, which is a different action than closing the stores.

What is far more likely to screw up the ability to sync trophies on PS3 and Vita is that some change is made to how we access PSN accounts that the PS3 and Vita won't be able to support and people will no longer be able to sign in to PSN on those systems because of that change.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ddrakner said:

Even if it's true, the articles doesn't mention things like stopping the syncing function or being not able to download pre-purchased digital games. Basically, it will be a mass delisting of titles, wich is nothing too weird considering the path Sony took recently.

If the announce will come by the end of the month, i guess I will start buying all the digitals only that i still miss. I will be mad for sure, but i can live with it.

People are speculating loss of access to syncing, downloading games you already have, etc. because historically that is how it has always worked for every other console.

Thing is: i don't plan to buy anything more from old ps store, but I want to be able to play the games i already owned. Still sad asf if the rumour are true tho

2 minutes ago, JunkSkelington said:

People are speculating loss of access to syncing, downloading games you already have, etc. because historically that is how it has always worked for every other console.

Just to know, how has been in other consoles? I'm not familiar with it and the only console that comes to mind is the Wii but Nintendo was very antiquated with their online and even the games were tied with the console nor account so that should have been a fuckfest...

6 minutes ago, JunkSkelington said:

No system has ever lost the ability to synch trophies/achievements when it's store was shut down. It says nothing about the online services going anywhere, just the broken AF store being removed. While i could see people *possibly* losing access to previously purchased games./dlc/etc as long as the games files remain on the server it shouldn't be an issue. Many, many games have been delisted and are still downloadable starting with the PS3/360 gen. 

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 1

I doubt this is true but even if it does turn out to be, it personally wouldn't affect me in the slightest. I already own the very few ps3 games I plan on playing and the last one I bought legit took me like 30 minutes because of how slow the store was. Definitely not something I'd be fighting to keep when the damn thing is barely useable. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

If this true I will stop hunting and move to Xbox

1 minute ago, BrandedBerserk said:

I doubt this is true but even if it does turn out to be it personally wouldn't affect me in the slightest. I already own the very few ps3 games I plan on playing and the last one I bought legit took me like 30 minutes because of how slow the store was. 

Yes,they make gamers life way harder when they deleted old systems from web psn store

• Like 1

I just hope at the very least the date is wrong and they mean july/august next year. After i finish platting scott pilgrim(which i only need to do online for) im gonna be going on a ps3 crunch and platting pretty much everything i can thats left in my backlog that i care about. I literally only need to buy drakengard 3, dead space 2/3, and disgaea d2 dlcs(and maybe a few stray psn titles like deathspank 2) so i may as well start now to get my completion in these games done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JunkSkelington said:

The president and CEO of sony interactive entertainment has openly trashed old games, I'm not sure why people are doubting sony will dump PS3/psp/vita

Because that quote was in reference to supporting older games on newer hardware. In this case, people are just asking Sony to continue to allow people to give them money to do nothing besides sell them games.

• Like 1

The PS3 and Vita storefronts themselves are atrocious in their current state, it probably doesnt pay for Sony to keep them open and bother updating it. That may be the death knell for the Vita, but the PS3 should be fine as there is so much cheap, physical games in circulation. I am sure if the demand for PS3 games becomes that high, Sony could offer more on PS Now, potentially making it a more enticing offer.

I havent used those storefronts in ages, and the only time i did was to re-download already purchased games. As long as the ability to do so remains unchanged, I don't think I will be affected by it much. Of course, let's see if this is actually true or not.

Isn't your PS3 game library accessed through the Playstation store rather than from the PS3 home screen? I wonder if it would require a PS3 firmware update (which I don't expect to ever see again) to make this workable. Without one, presumably they'd have to keep the store application online but remove the ability to buy. Just seems strange.

4 minutes ago, droppingtherock said:

Isn't your PS3 game library accessed through the Playstation store rather than from the PS3 home screen? I wonder if it would require a PS3 firmware update (which I don't expect to ever see again) to make this workable. Without one, presumably they'd have to keep the store application online but remove the ability to buy. Just seems strange.

That is correct. But it's full of functional illiterates out there.

36 minutes ago, JunkSkelington said:

"Historically"? Please list all old systems that eventually lost achievement syncing.

Edited by Lance_87