Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

1 minute ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

I just finished going through my collection.

It looks like I don't have to buy too many extra used PS3s.  Maybe, 1 or none at all.  

I think I'm ready in case Sony does confirm a purchase shutdown of PS3 games.

Results of my checking:

Batman: Arkham Origins    Bought DLC last year
Saints Row: The Third    Budget to buy the bundle - cheaper than buying individual DLCs
BioShock Infinite    Budget to buy DLC
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2    Budget to buy DLC
Deus Ex: Human Revolution    Budget to buy DLC
Duke Nukem Forever    Budget to buy DLC
Escape Dead Island    Budget to buy DLC
Fallout 3    Budget to buy DLC
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham    Budget to buy DLC
Mirror's Edge    Budget to buy DLC
Resident Evil 6    Budget to buy DLC
Sleeping Dogs    Budget to buy DLC
Walking Dead    Budget to buy DLC
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow    Couldn't find DLC - Possibly delisted?
Mafia II    Couldn't find DLC - Possibly delisted?
Red Dead Redemption    DLC is free
Dante's Inferno    Maybe - has online trophies - Need to buy game + DLC in another region - server could shutdown
BioShock 2    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Dungeon Siege III    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Persona 4: Arena Ultimax    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Super Street Fighter IV    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Batman: Arkham City    Own physical with DLC on disc
Borderlands    Own physical with DLC on disc
Dead Island    Own physical with DLC on disc
Dragon Age: Origins    Own physical with DLC on disc
Grand Theft Auto IV    Own physical with DLC on disc
L.A. Noire    Own physical with DLC on disc
Resident Evil 5    Own physical with DLC on disc
Last of Us    Too late - DLC delisted - has online trophies - server already shut down

Good job taking stock and having a plan of attack if this comes to pass. Might be wise for others to take inventory of what they have and need then act accordingly.

What I’m wondering (and admittedly I’m not going to read the entire thread to find out) is how this trophy syncing thing would affect PS3 games on PS Now. That’s of course if this who PSN shutting down thing is true as who knows until there’s an official statement.

8 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I *really* hope that if it’s true everything’s discounted. Games, avatars, themes, DLCs, etc. Because forking over $50, $80 & $60 for BO2, BO1 & MW3 respectively is ALOT compared to current gen games that go down to <$40 just a few months after release.

Honestly if it's for Call of Duty games get physical discs for the games themselves (their usually quite cheap still) second if games had dlc codes the codes may be good still. So sometimes you can buy the editions or codes separately still online and get them cheaper then the store.

6 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

How do I feel towards Sony at this time? More than a little annoyed. I did think more highly of them during the PS3 generation. The PS HQ was in Japan, and didn't have a clown like Jim Ryan calling the shots. Also, the PS2 and early PS3s were backward compatible. Backward compatibility would've made PS4 Pro more worth the extra $100.

The PS3 was coded entirely differently than the PS4 or PS5. Only way to play PS3 digital games outside of you already paid and accessing them prior to a possible store shutdown is through PS Now. Even if I was interested and had the consistent speeds, I already got too much on my backlog to warrant paying for a Now subscription.

There really needs to be a law making digital purchases irrevocable. So if Sony, MS, Steam, or Origin were to ban you from their respective store, you should still have access to games already bought. Denying you the use of your digital purchases is theft. You paid for them and nothing changes that.

Sad but true. You already lose access to your digital content if you lose your account. Which is why physical will always be better for me than digital.

For now, I don't really give a damn about getting a PS5. I bought an Alienware PC with 32 GB, i9-10900KF CPU, and RTX 3080 GPU instead. I am pretty annoyed with Sony and Jim Ryan. PClandia is a good place right now. Some PS exclusives could make their way to PC after a set period. Look at Horizon: Zero Dawn three years later... it's now on GOG and Epic Games Store with no DRM, as a complete edition. Since Trails of Cold Steel III, new Falcom games have crossed over to PC within a half year after the Western PS release (many thanks to Durante with his studio PH3 Games, and all others involved). The PC versions can shame the console originals visually if you have a good enough rig.

PCs already made quick work on the PS4 Pro. All Horizon Zero Dawn was was a timed exclusive, just like Shadow of the Tomb Raider before it. I think exclusives should stay exclusives. That's why I didn't bother with Xbox One since all of their good stuff could be played on the PC anyway.

4 minutes ago, TheIrishBrit said:

What I’m wondering (and admittedly I’m not going to read the entire thread to find out) is how this trophy syncing thing would affect PS3 games on PS Now. That’s of course if this who PSN shutting down thing is true as who knows until there’s an official statement.

The rumors are regarding the store shutdowns on the PS3 and Vita, not whether or not the trophy syncing will cease on PS3/Vita titles.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Honestly if it's for Call of Duty games get physical discs for the games themselves (their usually quite cheap still) second if games had dlc codes the codes may be good still. So sometimes you can buy the editions or codes separately still online and get them cheaper then the store.

Yeah, I've gotten all the games physically. Gladly paid $5 for each of them. Those prices I listed are for all the DLC. Pretty sure I looked into it before and don't think there was any ever physical DLC codes released.

2 hours ago, DeadlyPerfume said:

If the rumors are false, Sony could very easily issue a one line statement debunking it and alleviating everyone's fears. The fact they haven't makes me think either the rumors are true, or they're happy to say nothing and let everyone panic buy old games and DLC at full price. Both are pretty scummy IMO. 

they prob dont have time to care to issue a statement against some random guy with a random page who has a random verified source spreading a rumor. its prob not even on their radar

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I heard a rumour that Sony is rounding up children, and is going to grind them into a fine paste, and force us all to eat them on toast 1f632.png

You might think that's crazy, but they haven't issued an official statement debunking it, so I'm inclined to think it's true

thats nothing, i heard a rumor that sony has the infinity gauntlet. and when the ps6 is launched when everyone hits the power button it will select who will be evaporated. i also heard that bam margera is really hakoom. 

• Like 3

If this is true, and I can’t redownload purchased games or sync trophies on Vita or PS3. I will quit this hobby for good and I will sell everything I have all of my consoles and games and probably sell all of my accounts tho lol. Why should I even bother if stuff like this takes the fun away cus we can’t redownload or purchase games or sync trophies to complete and finishing them to 100% since most of us care about this anyway.

Edited by TazDevilz1986
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, TheVengeance1231 said:

But it will be useless if Sony later disable the syn of PS3/PSVita trophy.

Which I hope doesn't happen anytime soon. You shut down the stores? Fine, I can get by around that eventually. But not syncing up trophies.... that is a huge blow.

1 minute ago, TazDevilz1986 said:

If this is true, and I can’t redownload purchased games or sync trophies on Vita or PS3. I will quit this hobby for good and I will sell everything I have all of my consoles and games and probably sell my all of my accounts tho lol. Why should I even bother if stuff like this takes the fun away cus we can’t redownload or purchase games or sync trophies to complete and finishing them to 100% since most of us care about this. 

You and me both. Hopefully this doesn't happen in the near future.

While I absolutely hate it still, I'd rather see the demise of the stores than the inability to sync trophies on the PS3/Vita any day of the week.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Agent_Renegade22 said:

Never really used communities, but is that a good reason to erase a whole online service? 

A serious company would constantly ban illegal contents rather than destroying the whole service. 

There was no way of policing them since they're all user operated. For a private community you had to be a member to report someone for posting illegal images.

1 minute ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

There was no way of policing them since they're all user operated. For a private community you had to be a member to report someone for posting illegal images.

That was why the party system changed. Sony just took out the entire service because they didn't want to be the ones playing moderator.

33 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

If Sony doesn't have some form of moderators that can view all content then they are really doing something wrong  Any service that gives users the ability to post content needs to have moderators who are capable of viewing everything.  Even Steam with its awful toxic userbase has moderators out there who can enforce the community standards.

1 hour ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

There really needs to be a law making digital purchases irrevocable. So if Sony, MS, Steam, or Origin were to ban you from their respective store, you should still have access to games already bought. Denying you the use of your digital purchases is theft. You paid for them and nothing changes that.

Then people should do something about it.  Many countries have a means to get involved in politics beyond just voting and most politicians are unlikely to be aware of issues regarding digital purchases unless they personally have been affected or know someone who has.  In the US we can write our reps, senators, state government, governors, etc.  People who have been wronged can seek out the aid of an attorney to see if legal action is doable.  Laws and action like class action suits typically start from a few people taking action and spreading the word to others to do the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kevao97 said:

That's what I always say: digital games are just a license, while physical games are yours for life. No matter how much things change or become modern, I will never give preference to a file over something factually MINE.

I don't think there is a real difference between a physical copy or a digital game. you buy the game and get a license to use it, digital or physical there's no exceptions, to my knowledge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mataningo said:

I don't think there is a real difference between a physical copy or a digital game. you buy the game and get a license to use it, digital or physical there's no exceptions, to my knowledge.

Are you referring to the EULA or something? the disk drive is yours lol, how could it not be? you didn’t buy a license, you bought an object of value

1 minute ago, sanctusLight said:

This News made the Store unusable. I tried to buy something and just getting timeouts and error messages  ?

at least you can access the store, I can't even see game prices and the buy button is gone lol

4 minutes ago, mataningo said:

100% correct.

People forget that all the disc is is a delivery mechanism for the data - the licence for use is no different to digital.

Practically though, trying to explain that to the "DuR, BuT i GoT dEr DiSk In mUr HaNdz" crowd is a losing battle.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

100% correct.

People forget that all the disc is is a delivery mechanism for the data - the licence for use is no different to digital.

Practically though, trying to explain that to the "DuR, BuT i GoT dEr DiSk In mUr HaNdz" crowd is a losing battle.

I'm actually willing to understand the reasoning, but the data on the disc can't be taken from you, that's what I'm trying to say. a digital license is simply expired and redeemed, how would that happen with a disc?

56 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I heard a rumour that Sony is rounding up children, and is going to grind them into a fine paste, and force us all to eat them on toast 1f632.png

You might think that's crazy, but they haven't issued an official statement debunking it, so I'm inclined to think it's true

I secretly hope this is true.

Concern is definitely understandable, but I don't think the time has come for panic and gnashing of teeth and whatnot. The idea of the ps3 store closing is wack, and is definitely a slap in the face of peeps who've been on board for years. However, it makes sense that they'd try to squeeze one last lump sum out of us for the ps3 library and have it ride off into the sunset, particularly if the numbers aren't there for them, which in all fairness we have no way of knowing. Kinda shitty, but hey. Capitalism.

As far as trophies not syncing, let's not go all monsters on maple street here. All we know is a source says this is happening in a few months. Sony hasn't said anything? It's been one day, big deal. The only timely statement of theirs I remember was an obligatory BLM post (amovementistronglysupportbutthat'snotimportantrightnow) out of social pressure!

Also I really do not mean to be smug or disrespectful but I gotta say it's funny to see that people who have the patience to amass hundreds of platinum trophies can't just be like "well let's wait and see what happens, no reason to obsess over what Sony could be thinking about right now."

We'll find out what's going on soon enough. It's nice to have a place to talk about this, don't get me wrong! I just feel we have enough things to be stressed over these days...

• Like 1