WaddysWDS

Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

2,376 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

100% correct.

 

People forget that all the disc is is a delivery mechanism for the data - the licence for use is no different to digital.

 

Practically though, trying to explain that to the "DuR, BuT i GoT dEr DiSk In mUr HaNdz" crowd is a losing battle.

I'm actually willing to understand the reasoning, but the data on the disc can't be taken from you, that's what I'm trying to say. a digital license is simply expired and redeemed, how would that happen with a disc?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

I heard a rumour that Sony is rounding up children, and is going to grind them into a fine paste, and force us all to eat them on toast 1f632.png

 

You might think that's crazy, but they haven't issued an official statement debunking it, so I'm inclined to think it's true

 

I secretly hope this is true.

 

Concern is definitely understandable, but I don't think the time has come for panic and gnashing of teeth and whatnot. The idea of the ps3 store closing is wack, and is definitely a slap in the face of peeps who've been on board for years. However, it makes sense that they'd try to squeeze one last lump sum out of us for the ps3 library and have it ride off into the sunset, particularly if the numbers aren't there for them, which in all fairness we have no way of knowing. Kinda shitty, but hey. Capitalism.

 

As far as trophies not syncing, let's not go all monsters on maple street here. All we know is a source says this is happening in a few months. Sony hasn't said anything? It's been one day, big deal. The only timely statement of theirs I remember was an obligatory BLM post (amovementistronglysupportbutthat'snotimportantrightnow) out of social pressure!

 

Also I really do not mean to be smug or disrespectful but I gotta say it's funny to see that people who have the patience to amass hundreds of platinum trophies can't just be like "well let's wait and see what happens, no reason to obsess over what Sony could be thinking about right now."

 

We'll find out what's going on soon enough. It's nice to have a place to talk about this, don't get me wrong! I just feel we have enough things to be stressed over these days...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Are you referring to the EULA or something? the disk drive is yours lol, how could it not be? you didn’t buy a license, you bought an object of value

I'm not so sure, but I don't really see any difference between the two. anyway the EULA is something that you are not really read or know about so much, it's hard to understand the rules of it.

Edited by mataningo
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

100% correct.

 

People forget that all the disc is is a delivery mechanism for the data - the licence for use is no different to digital.

 

Practically though, trying to explain that to the "DuR, BuT i GoT dEr DiSk In mUr HaNdz" crowd is a losing battle.

 

Which has been a thing for decades now. I can still buy Transformers: Devastation on the PS4 via disc. Digitally, I cannot, because the Activision license expired, therefore it was pulled from the digital stores.

 

Companies like EA were already pulling the DRM bullshit on discs long before trophies and Xbox achievements were even in existence. I did this on PC before Steam and GOG.com became a thing. You installed a game, you were required to agree to the licenses in order to proceed forward and play the game.

Edited by AJ_Radio
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

I'm actually willing to understand the reasoning, but the data on the disc can't be taken from you, that's what I'm trying to say. a digital license is simply expired and redeemed, how would that happen with a disc?

 

The digital data can't be taken from you either - as the copy of PT I have on my PS4 Pro confirms.

 

The ability to re-download the data can be taken away, in the same way that a physical disc can stop being printed, and so replacement of it becomes impossible, but they are the same situations by different means.

 

You can back up a disc to a copy, or you can back up data to a second drive.

In both cases, you are safeguarding the data as it was supplied to you. 

 

In both cases, patches and ongoing support can be lost, and the ability to re-obtain the data from the original source can be lost, but there is no practical difference between the two, except for in one specific case:

 

For digital copies, you can back up your own patched version, via a second drive.

For physical, making a copy of the disc will only preserve the data as it was when it was printed - you would need to separately safeguard the post-release patch data on a drive separately. 

 

Therefore, as I see it, physical is not any more 'safe' for archival than digital;  the only real difference is that physical storage wastes a bunch of space in my house, digital just wastes space on a little hard drive.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

I'm actually willing to understand the reasoning, but the data on the disc can't be taken from you, that's what I'm trying to say. a digital license is simply expired and redeemed, how would that happen with a disc?

 

GTA 4 lost a fuckton of songs over licensing, unless you're not online even with the disc your game is changed a bit. The fact that they can do that says a lot about what they can do with what we think we own.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

As far as trophies not syncing, let's not go all monsters on maple street here. All we know is a source says this is happening in a few months. Sony hasn't said anything? It's been one day, big deal. The only timely statement of theirs I remember was an obligatory BLM post (amovementistronglysupportbutthat'snotimportantrightnow) out of social pressure!

 

Also I really do not mean to be smug or disrespectful but I gotta say it's funny to see that people who have the patience to amass hundreds of platinum trophies can't just be like "well let's wait and see what happens, no reason to obsess over what Sony could be thinking about right now."

 

We'll find out what's going on soon enough. It's nice to have a place to talk about this, don't get me wrong! I just feel we have enough things to be stressed over these days...

 

Let's not bring up BLM into this discussion. That's just a big flame war and heated debate waiting to happen.

 

Yes, as of now, these are still rumors. Sony however was rather quick to remove the PS3/Vita lineup out of the web browser store when they converted over to the new one. If anyone remembers, those were rumors as well and then it just happened.

 

Should this happen, I still think June - July this year is much too early. I'd be happier with extending the date to October - December. People have already told me they're having trouble accessing the stores, probably because of the insane amount of traffic that has accumulated after this rumor came out.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

I just finished going through my collection.

It looks like I don't have to buy too many extra used PS3s.  Maybe, 1 or none at all.  

 

I think I'm ready in case Sony does confirm a purchase shutdown of PS3 games.

 

Results of my checking:

Batman: Arkham Origins    Bought DLC last year
Saints Row: The Third    Budget to buy the bundle - cheaper than buying individual DLCs
BioShock Infinite    Budget to buy DLC
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2    Budget to buy DLC
Deus Ex: Human Revolution    Budget to buy DLC
Duke Nukem Forever    Budget to buy DLC
Escape Dead Island    Budget to buy DLC
Fallout 3    Budget to buy DLC
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham    Budget to buy DLC
Mirror's Edge    Budget to buy DLC
Resident Evil 6    Budget to buy DLC
Sleeping Dogs    Budget to buy DLC
Walking Dead    Budget to buy DLC
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow    Couldn't find DLC - Possibly delisted?
Mafia II    Couldn't find DLC - Possibly delisted?
Red Dead Redemption    DLC is free
Dante's Inferno    Maybe - has online trophies - Need to buy game + DLC in another region - server could shutdown
BioShock 2    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Dungeon Siege III    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Persona 4: Arena Ultimax    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Super Street Fighter IV    Maybe - has online trophies - server could shutdown
Batman: Arkham City    Own physical with DLC on disc
Borderlands    Own physical with DLC on disc
Dead Island    Own physical with DLC on disc
Dragon Age: Origins    Own physical with DLC on disc
Grand Theft Auto IV    Own physical with DLC on disc
L.A. Noire    Own physical with DLC on disc
Resident Evil 5    Own physical with DLC on disc
Last of Us    Too late - DLC delisted - has online trophies - server already shut down
 

 

I just checked EU story & you can still get DLCs for Castlevania:Lords Of Shadow. DLCs are called Resurrection & Reverie.

 

Also for Mafia II, try searching for Jimmy's Vendetta & Joe's Adventures. They should be in there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DaivRules said:

 

That's only for EU folk, the rest of us still can

Is this recent? I bought Adventure of Mana on my Vita last week with my European card without issues

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

The digital data can't be taken from you either - as the copy of PT I have on my PS4 Pro confirms.

 

The ability to re-download the data can be taken away, in the same way that a physical disc can stop being printed, and so replacement of it becomes impossible, but they are the same situations by different means.

 

You can back up a disc to a copy, or you can back up data to a second drive.

In both cases, you are safeguarding the data as it was supplied to you. 

 

In both cases, patches and ongoing support can be lost, and the ability to re-obtain the data from the original source can be lost, but there is no practical difference between the two, except for in one specific case:

 

For digital copies, you can back up your own patched version, via a second drive.

For physical, making a copy of the disc will only preserve the data as it was when it was printed - you would need to separately safeguard the post-release patch data on a drive separately. 

 

Therefore, as I see it, physical is not any more 'safe' for archival than digital;  the only real difference is that physical storage wastes a bunch of space in my house, digital just wastes space on a little hard drive.

I understood your point, technically they are identical situations but I do not agree that in practice it is the same thing. but you can see it that way.

 

14 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

 

GTA 4 lost a fuckton of songs over licensing, unless you're not online even with the disc your game is changed a bit. The fact that they can do that says a lot about what they can do with what we think we own.

my gta 4 hasn't been changed, i don't know why. they only have this power through updates, in the case of ps4 even the updates to discs are automatic, so not even they escape. you have a point in that.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Are you referring to the EULA or something? the disk drive is yours lol, how could it not be? you didn’t buy a license, you bought an object of value

at least you can access the store, I can't even see game prices and the buy button is gone lol


Getting money on your Account and buy stuff is now equal to get a ps5 xD
This is hilarious

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

 

. Liu

 

 

Xbox does not have total backwards compatibility... why do people believe it does?  What the hell?

 

The original Xbox had a little over 1,000 Games.  The Xbox 360 had 2,154 Games.  You can play less than 40 Original Xbox games.  And a couple hundred 360 Games.  

 

Not only that, they aren't even Backwards Compatible!  They were brought forward.  Which is nice.

 

But to say that Xbox is fully backwards compatible is laughable.  And it shows that Xbox's propaganda is working.

 

And gamepASS is horrible for the industry and its developers.  Removes power from customer and makes you reliant on a Billion/Trillion dollar company to provide you with the games.

 

Look at Netflix and how they have over 200 million subscribers, and have said with their current spending that they need over 300 million.  Now look at Xbox's alleged 18 million subs, that most got for $1 stacked it for a few years... And even free in a box of pop tarts.  How is that good? 

 

No thanks, I'll buy my games, support the industry, and own my games.  I don't need a rental service.  

 

 

 

Dude what are you even talking about?

Ok, it's not total compatibility intended as 100% old games being available on new consoles and I'll give you that, but still we're talking about almost 600 Xbox 360 titles being available to X One and Series X, and guess what pretty much all of the AA-AAA titles are there.

Backward compatibility returned to be a thing for us thanks to PS5 while Microsoft always rooted for it. 

Sure it's not a necessary thing, but if it's possible to implement it why not?

 

About Game Pass you can't deny the fact it has become the primary source of income for Microsoft and I've yet to find one single Xbox owner that is not happy with it.

I've got PS Now myself and I fricking love it also because I bought a PS4 very late (I used to play very little time last years) and PS Now is super helpful to me so instead of spending hundreds of euros for games I want there's a big catalogue of interesting games, many of them already on my wishlist and are there on Now and the majority are with indefinite expire date. I also paid my yearly subscription for roughly €37 and I would've been able to afford like 2-3 games with that amount of money, just saying...

 

If your only argument to criticize a service like Game Pass is "I'll buy my games, support the industry, and own my games", then I really think that's a weak argument.

Microsoft surely wants you to subscribe to it as it has become their primary service (like PS+ is to PS) but you're not forced in any way but since you need Live to play online I guess it's a wiser idea to subscribe to Game Pass instead, and guess what you can always buy the games you like both on their digital marketplace and on physical support.

 

Propaganda? It's not, simply we're talking about two multinationals with their primary goal to make revenues but I have the feeling Microsoft has been a lot more friendly with their playerbase recently.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

 

Let's not bring up *** into this discussion.

 

Only because that was the last time I knew of that Sony seemed to feel the need to step in and say anything, and stress that it doesn't mean much that they aren't quick to dive in and make some sort of comment on this right away.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking hell the mass hysteria in this thread is just hilarious lmao. Is it really that hard to wait and see if the rumor is confirmed with all the details before getting yall panties in a bunch? 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Agent_Renegade22 said:

If your only argument to criticize a service like Game Pass is "I'll buy my games, support the industry, and own my games", then I really think that's a weak argument.

Microsoft surely wants you to subscribe to it as it has become their primary service (like PS+ is to PS) but you're not forced in any way but since you need Live to play online I guess it's a wiser idea to subscribe to Game Pass instead, and guess what you can always buy the games you like both on their digital marketplace and on physical support.

 

Propaganda? It's not, simply we're talking about two multinationals with their primary goal to make revenues but I have the feeling Microsoft has been a lot more friendly with their playerbase recently.

 

 

Maybe the argument should be there is nothing I can truly own as everything has become online integrated.

 

I would like to see some of you guys get involved in an interpersonal conversation, because I doubt most of you would have the guts to say half of this shit in person.

 

Unfortunately, I can't see myself going back to Microsoft. I've burned my bridges with them with how they treated their playerbase early last generation, and having a rather weak lineup with some rather embarrassing titles.

 

Nintendo has their share of bullshit and filth despite what some fanboys think of them.

 

Really it's Steam as the only platform I see myself going to should Sony truly shit the bed if we find ourselves unable to access older digital content after we purchased them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what are the chances that this is a nothing burger and this is really about them fully removing the quasi-defunct old version of the browser store and leaving the stores on the consoles untouched?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be disappointed to hear this if its true. I've been slowly playing through my PS3 backlog, and not being able to buy DLC for the games I particularly enjoy would definitely suck.

But until Sony confirms this, its all just unsubstantiated rumours.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

 

Maybe the argument should be there is nothing I can truly own as everything has become online integrated.

 

I would like to see some of you guys get involved in an interpersonal conversation, because I doubt most of you would have the guts to say half of this shit in person.

 

Unfortunately, I can't see myself going back to Microsoft. I've burned my bridges with them with how they treated their playerbase early last generation, and having a rather weak lineup with some rather embarrassing titles.

 

Nintendo has their share of bullshit and filth despite what some fanboys think of them.

 

Really it's Steam as the only platform I see myself going to should Sony truly shit the bed if we find ourselves unable to access older digital content after we purchased them.

I love physical support myself and despite I'm using many more digital games on PS4 because of PS+ and PS Now, I'm still buying physical PS4 games I love like almost all Sony exclusives and third party games like The Witcher 3, RDR2 etc.

 

But the reality is digital is the future whether we like it or not.

Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime etc have had an exploit recent years and even a bigger exploit after the pandemic.

Internet connections are generally getting better and better while companies surely have less costs of resources, time, money because of cloud/online services.

 

It was just a matter of time for us to have similar services for gaming and it was inevitable.

I hated this myself at first but now I'm just trying to accept it and it's not that bad after all.

My only concerns about that is you're right when you say we don't 100% own this stuff, but it is what it is I guess.

PS5 digital edition was made for a reason...

 

I know very well how Microsoft treated the playerbase in 2013 and they deserved all that shit, but they've definitely improved recently. Sony on the other hands...

Edited by Agent_Renegade22
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kenseizenkai said:

 

I just checked EU story & you can still get DLCs for Castlevania:Lords Of Shadow. DLCs are called Resurrection & Reverie.

 

Also for Mafia II, try searching for Jimmy's Vendetta & Joe's Adventures. They should be in there.


What is the price of Castlevania DLCs?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

So what are the chances that this is a nothing burger and this is really about them fully removing the quasi-defunct old version of the browser store and leaving the stores on the consoles untouched?

 

pretty high 😂

 

It's gonna be a funny old time on this thread if Sony just comes out and denies it - we'll have basically an entire website full of people looking like a right sheepish shower of fannies! 😬😂

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Agent_Renegade22 said:

But the reality is digital is the future whether we like it or not.

Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime etc have had an exploit recent years and even a bigger exploit after the pandemic.

Internet connections are generally getting better and better while companies surely have less costs of resources, time, money because of cloud/online services.

 

I mostly agree, but on the same token Sony is just making bogus decisions.... which again, only a rumor. I repeated that enough times already.

 

Digital only is still incredibly volatile. Netflix has taken out god knows how much out of their library and it's not like we can go back and find that stuff.

 

Not happy about this regardless. I want to think Sony is just treating the PS3/Vita badly, but they're also pulling shit on the PS4, again, bogus decisions. Of the countless thousands of dollars I've spent on Sony products, taking away my access to content I bought will be the nail in the coffin for me. And that is probably when I will officially hang up trophy hunting for good, because I am not tolerating not being able to access digital content that I had paid loads of money for, on top of Sony changing the rules (Party Chats on PS4 are recorded and you are liable to be suspended or banned for offensive speech) to make things a little more censored.

 

The PS5 has already shown some awesome looking games, but Sony of late has been stupid.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

 

GTA 4 lost a fuckton of songs over licensing, unless you're not online even with the disc your game is changed a bit. The fact that they can do that says a lot about what they can do with what we think we own.

 

The Complete Edition on PS3 was not changed. The 360 version changes were reverted. The PC version can be modded.

Edited by Lance_87
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

 

As far as trophies not syncing, let's not go all monsters on maple street here.

 

Thank you!

 

The Monsters of Maple Street - That was the reference I tried to make before, but couldn't remember the name of the episode!

 

God bless your Twilight Zone shaped socks!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.