Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

This better not be true, and if it is, I better be able to download the games I bought.

From now until July/August, I will not be playing anything on PS4. I'm going to be focusing exclusively on PS3 and Vita games until I get as much of my backlog done as possible. If a game has a shared trophy list with PS4, I will just play the PS4 version later this year. I may use my PS4 to play PS3 games on PS Now periodically.

There will be three exceptions on PS4: Fall Guys (I'm in an Infallible boosting group), NBA 2K20 (currently passing down MyTeam cards to another player), and The Last of Us (the aforementioned player I'm giving cards to really wants me to play it).

First up on the chopping block - the crappy ports of LEGO games on Vita. I want to delete those to make space for other, better games.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

It’s funny how the PS5 digital edition might be completely useless in 15 years.

Considering Sony have already molded the PS4 and PS5 store its more than likely every generation forward will be done the same. So no, it wont be completely useless.

8 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

This is a grim reminder for digital only gamers for sure, though.

9 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

If this really happens, I assume we just won't be able to purchase PS3, PSV, PSP games, but will be able to download games just fine if we've purchased them. :hmm:

Also no grim reminders, the store is closing but you will still be able to download your games and play them as normal.

Jesus what is wrong with people. Closing down a 15 year old FREE service and people get so uptight and start scaremongering. Why do "gamers" think they're entitled to everything, forever.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Varhur said:

And this

That exchange reads really weird.

"Store closing down on #DATE!"

"Did you know the store was closing down on #DATE?!"

"We knew. We just didn't know the #DATE"

So they didn'tk now the store was closing down on #DATE??

• Like 3

Thing is, it's Kirk McKeand, who used to be the editor at VG247 - I personally don't like the guy but I imagine he has a lot of inside sources based on his level in the industry.

Supposedly, it only stops you from buying games, but you should still be able to download things you bought previously - I guess we'll see when Sony officially announces it - I'm not looking forward to downloading all 500+ Vita games and backing them up on my PC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

What is free about operating a store? That's like saying Wal-mart is operating a FREE service. What a strange twist of reality.

It's not entitlement to as for content to be purchasable in the future. And if that's how you're defining entitlement, you're using that word incorrectly.

does it cost you, the consumer anything to access the playstation store? No, so its free. It isnt free for Sony which is why they're getting rid of it. Waste of recourses and a waste of money. People sat here crying because they're finally closing it down just because they still have a backlog is entitlement, they think they're entitled to access this forever. Which they aren't.

Just now, diskdocx said:

There are still Vita games coming out weekly. I'm really not sure how you can consider a digital storefront a FREE service. I've read some stupid shit on here, but labeling a store that a company uses to sell their stuff as a free service might just be the winner

Oh yeah I forgot theres service charge I paid to access Sonys store for just browsing. Its completely free unless you buy a game in which sony takes a 30% cut from the developer. for gamers its free, for the developers it aint.

1 minute ago, diskdocx said:

So every store in the world, where you can walk in and buy stuff, is a FREE service.

Accordingly, you should be 'entitled' to zero customer service and support for anything you bought because accessing the store was free.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

You can twist my point to suit your narrative all you like. 

Sony doesnt charge you for the store, they dont even and have never charged you for the servers for the PSP or the PS3. So, what exactly isnt free about it?

2 minutes ago, Silocia said:

Oh yeah I forgot theres service charge I paid to access Sonys store for just browsing. Its completely free unless you buy a game in which sony takes a 30% cut from the developer. for gamers its free, for the developers it aint.

So? In that case the devs don't have to spend money for printing and distribution. Unless i don't get what you are saying

3 minutes ago, Silocia said:

Sony doesnt charge you for the store, they dont even and have never charged you for the servers for the PSP or the PS3. So, what exactly isnt free about it?

Is that necessarily true, though?

I mean, clearly, there isn't a monthly "store cost" from Sony, but it's hardly beyond the realm of possibility that part of the digital cost of games is returned to Sony for access to the store, and we pay that cost. I'll grant that closing store would also mean removing that cost for any (now non-existent) future purchases, but we certainly pay for access to the store; it's just a cost borne by some, but not all.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'm highly skeptical of this.

I've seen multiple trustworthy ™ (no kidding) individuals reacting to this rumor and it's a bit concerning.

• Like 1