Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

That's not really an explanation... 

Shrug.

The harder people argue the inevitable, the harder people may speak back about it.

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You're right. They should just wait for confirmation from Sony.

... and then they won't be upset about it?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WishingLemon said:

So why are people getting upset over it? Plenty of people in this thread seem to believe it. Believing that they could file a lawsuit and win, or it must be illegal, or just being generally upset about something everyone should've known will happen shortly as Sony are clearly closing down features of old consoles.

As is always the case, the devil is in the details. As I have posted previously, I am not sure how access to purchased digital content will work on the Vita absent of the store functioning. There is no library feature that I am aware of. While I understand licenses can be revoked, with notice, I don't think that if new games are being released on a console today, and sales are continuing, that they could legally revoke licenses at this point.

I believe there would be a legitimate basis for a successful lawsuit.

If they just turn off the ability to purchase digital content, but otherwise leave the store online for downloading previously purchased content....well, I think they would be colossally stupid, but there is no argument that they have done anything illegal. Deciding to no longer sell an item is really Sony's decision. Deciding to sell items but then remove access to them for those that purchased the items - that's trickier.

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You're right. They should just wait for confirmation from Sony.

Are they all on vacation? Seems like they would want to go on record and shut this down if it was 'fake news'. Trump is looking for a job. Maybe Sony can hire him in the PR department? He's got a real talent for the Twitter.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

As is always the case, the devil is in the details. As I have posted previously, I am not sure how access to purchased digital content will work on the Vita absent of the store functioning. There is no library feature that I am aware of. While I understand licenses can be revoked, with notice, I don't think that if new games are being released on a console today, and sales are continuing, that they could legally revoke licenses at this point.

If they just turn off the ability to purchase digital content, but otherwise leave the store online for downloading previously purchased content....well, I think they would be colossally stupid, but there is no argument that they have done anything illegal. Deciding to no longer sell an item is really Sony's decision. Deciding to sell items but then remove access to them for those that purchased the items - that's trickier.

Not when it's literally in the ToS that you agree to. I think there's only been one case of a lawsuit even similar going anywhere when a Russian guy tried to sue Steam for banning him and locking him out of his library. And that is only going so far because Valve never stated what would lead to loss of account access.

They can literally just turn the tap off and be like 'nope'. Without notice.

Again, you legally agree to these Terms of Service. It's shitty, but that's why people have been saying to say physical. Although with the rumoured battery issue in the PS4 it looks like even that might not be a workaround anymore. Certainly that's more grounds for a lawsuit than closing obsolete servers. But Sony are a company, if something is not making money enough to stay viable they will shutter it. Who is actively using the PS3 servers now? Certainly not the Fifa/Cod/GTA bros all on the PS5. A handful of people on an obscure trophy site aren't enough reason to keep servers open.

And let's say it is illegal. What is anyone going to do about it? Do you have the money to sue them? Does anyone? No. Sony have the cash not only for the best lawyers but also enough cash that they can tie it up in the courts long enough to bankrupt you before they lose. They know it too. This is also why Google/Alphabet never gets sued over all their shady shit.

Edited by WishingLemon

I guess now's the time to really assess what to buy and download. I have a PS3 that I never played much of but have been wanting to go back and play some older games now that I've got a PS5 and it's sparked my interest in the Sony exclusives. I didn't even realize the PSP store was still active and I had been going back and forth on whether to buy a Vita. There are a number of games where the physical is much more than digital and I'm sure this will only exasperate that problem. Ratchet and Clank HD Collection is one that I was just looking at since it's only $20 on the PS3 store whereas it's $50+ for a physical copy. It looks like I'll be spending some time browsing through the PS3 store soon.

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

This ^

The people saying "fake, fake, totally fake" are kinda skirting the issue.  If it's not gone in a few months, it probably will still be sooner than later.

Even if it's not Sony's typical procedure to totally take platforms down... given the PS3's total lack of backwards compatibility, I can see it getting axed just because Sony wants to leave it in the past.  And probably bring the Vita and PSP with it just to close the door on that era altogether.

It'll hurt PR-wise, but Nintendo already kinda set precedent... and the MO of digital ownership is tangent to the throwaway fad culture.  You buy games, you play them, you delete them.  Did you guys really expect to keep everything you "rented" from Sony forever?  Where, on your 250GB internal HDD?

I honestly don't see myself investing a great deal of time on the PS5 at this point. The only game that really sticks out to me is Demon's Souls, and I'm really getting tired of having to wait a long time for new exclusives. Having to wait years for new exclusives is starting to wear on me.

People are still going to play PS3 games on PS Now, which everybody on this thread basically forgot about. The Vita in contrast is worse off.

It's just another fucking reminder that reality hits the door when the purpose of me playing games in the first place is to escape that reality. We got enough shit out there to worry about. Games in all honesty are pretty low on my priority list.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Are they all on vacation? Seems like they would want to go on record and shut this down if it was 'fake news'. Trump is looking for a job. Maybe Sony can hire him in the PR department? He's got a real talent for the Twitter.

Last time when we had problems with psn going down it took them a good 3-4 days before they could address the issue.  People would complain of slow or no connections but they would say that its the playstations fault you need to rebuild database without acknowledging that its psn’s fault. They really need to address this so at least we can be ready for what will happen in the future. I just started my trophy hunting for PS3 and I have a ton of PS3 games I havent touched yet. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

It looks like the old store might finally have gotten the boot on the web?

I was able to use it yesterday but now I just get access denied when I try and access it.

Anyone else?

I just accessed the site.  DId you get error when going to site or when trying to buy something?

This thread still going strong, huh? At this rate, I don't know what would be funnier: if they denied the rumors or confirmed them.

Also, some people are really exaggerating when they say this will "kill PlayStation" or whatever. Truth is, those who care about PS3/PSV/PSP are the absolute minority. The average gamer, that is, the one that actually brings in the money, had their mom buy them a PS5 for their birthday and are playing Fortnite, FIFA 21 and CoD: BOCW. Is it a bit sad? Yes, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, drewfd said:

I just accessed the site.  DId you get error when going to site or when trying to buy something?

Just when trying to go to it. I'm at work and trying to access it, maybe it doesn't like that?

I accessed the old site on my phone and it works just fine. Weird. I'll have to try at home later.

Edit: tried again and it's working again

Weird. Whatever

Edited by DEI2EK

4 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

This thread still going strong, huh? At this rate, I don't know what would be funnier: if they denied the rumors or confirmed them.

Also, some people are really exaggerating when they say this will "kill PlayStation" or whatever. Truth is, those who care about PS3/PSV/PSP are the absolute minority. The average gamer, that is, the one that actually brings in the money, had their mom buy them a PS5 for their birthday and are playing Fortnite, FIFA 21 and CoD: BOCW. Is it a bit sad? Yes, but it is what it is.

The average person buys up just a few games a year, all AAA titles, and the occasion Madden, or FIFA if you are outside the United States.

I don't think that is sad as much as we're sad at this complete blowup on social media. It blew up over The Last of Us Part II leak last April. To be frank I'm really starting to not care. You can start a rumor on virtually anything these days and people will take that rumor and over exaggerate over it, just like we're doing here on this website.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Fifa always wins :(

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

This ^

The people saying "fake, fake, totally fake" are kinda skirting the issue.  If it's not gone in a few months, it probably will still be sooner than later.

Even if it's not Sony's typical procedure to totally take platforms down... given the PS3's total lack of backwards compatibility, I can see it getting axed just because Sony wants to leave it in the past.  And probably bring the Vita and PSP with it just to close the door on that era altogether.

It'll hurt PR-wise, but Nintendo already kinda set precedent... and the MO of digital ownership is tangent to the throwaway fad culture.  You buy games, you play them, you delete them.  Did you guys really expect to keep everything you "rented" from Sony forever?  Where, on your 250GB internal HDD?

I think a lot of us aren't annoyed that the stores are being taken down. It's that they're being taken down so suddenly with no real warning. Like if they were to say March 2022, we're shutting the store for legacy consoles, I don't think people would be as pissed. Yeah there are people that want the store to stay up forever and that's not going to happen but if this is how they're closing them, they went about this the wrong way

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HMS_Victor said:

I think a lot of us aren't annoyed that the stores are being taken down. It's that they're being taken down so suddenly with no real warning. Like if they were to say March 2022, we're shutting the store for legacy consoles, I don't think people would be as pissed. Yeah there are people that want the store to stay up forever and that's not going to happen but if this is how they're closing them, they went about this the wrong way

Well, it is still a rumor.  An inevitable one, but nothing official nonetheless.  Sony still has a chance to do the right thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HMS_Victor said:

That's exactly the point. If Sony confirmed this rumor, came out and said we will be closing the stores this coming Fall - Winter, I would be accepting of that. It's a hard pill to swallow, but considering I have most of everything I wanted digitally already obtained and done on the PS3 and Vita, I'm not as terribly heartbroken as someone else might be.

They gave no real warning for PS3/Vita being taken out of the browser store, if Sony gave a more appropriate timeframe, I again would of been accepting of that. To rely on a rumor only for Sony to confirm it instead of issuing an former announcement and giving adequate time for people to grab what they want left is completely insulting.

I didn't bitch about Driveclub having online server shutdown. Why? Because they gave us a long time notice before it actually happened with a proper date. Cutting the cord from online servers without warning and giving very little notice on features being removed is liable to piss off a lot of people. I've seen this plenty of times in the past on various online services I used. You can't expect to perform those actions without a bunch of people getting pissed off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

To rely on a rumor only for Sony to confirm it instead of issuing an former announcement and giving adequate time for people to grab what they want left is completely insulting.

It's only insulting if people didn't realize this was totally something that was going to happen eventually regardless.

44 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Not necessarily,  there are  many people wanting to hoard up on games before the stores goes  down, even in this thread by itself, the more they stay silent, the more they get an extra mulaah thanks to that random website.

So, really, it's just too early to do anything, I was planning to buy some games, but now I'll just wait, some people  are saying it's fake, due to psp being shutdown years ago, but it could also be taken for them "finishing the job"  and stopping people from downloading games altogether.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's only insulting if people didn't realize this was totally something that was going to happen eventually regardless.

You keep on bringing up the inevitability of the eventual shutdown of services as a justification for the panicky reaction to these unsubstantiated rumour, even when the folks on the opposite side of the argument are saying nothing more than "wait and see what the truth actually is".

Of course, you are 100% right that shutdown is inevitable at some point, but that's hardly the issue that has spawned this 22-page monstrosity of a thread that has parked itself in this forum like an elephant in a garden shed.

The point is that all this hand-wringing and harrumphing is, for now, based on nothing but hot air and whispers.

There might well be something to panic about, but until there is, this is just a big load of nothing - even if we all understand that at some point in the future, yes, it will eventually be true.

I mean, you're 100% guaranteed to die. 

That doesn't mean we should start planning your funeral every time someone thinks they heard you cough.

2 hours ago, Lord_BenWon said:

Obviously, see this video.

PSP PSN Store: Still Online in 2020 - YouTube

This has been known for a long time and of course Sony knows that, but yet some misinformed people still say that Sony shutted it down.

Interesting, never had a PSP and genuinely wasn't aware of this. Thanks for bringing it up. Either way though, as far as Sony is concerned, they shut down the store in 2016, and either forget that they did, or seem to be aware of this "exploit" perhaps.

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

I'm wondering if this is a viral marketing tactic by the ScourgeBringer dev. He did name it LASTVITAGAME - and I'm pretty sure there's more coming. EAS and Play-Asia certainly haven't given any indication they are slowing down. I'm also pretty sure Synergia has DLC coming later this year - he has announced that on twitter, so if indeed the store is going, he clearly hasn't been informed.

It would seem strange not to inform developers that the storefronts will be permanently closing in a few short months, and still sell Vita devkits. Things like that are making the rumour seem iffy, but with how incompetent Sony has shown themselves to be in recent years, I also wouldn't doubt if they somehow just neglected to inform Vita developers of this.

1 hour ago, HusKy said:

I think at this point I'm more annoyed by the fact that a rumor with no source posted on a website without any reputation is getting cited by dozens of other news outlets. Anything goes as long as it brings views and ad impressions. A true showcase of "great" gaming journalism.

It's kind of insane just how many sites have reported on it now, all using the exact same "source". It would be nice to get word from Sony, but I don't think they're even going to acknowledge the reception to this rumour. If it turns out to be true, I expect them to announce the closures on March 31st, end of the fiscal year. Maybe if they're feeling really darkly humorous they might announce it April 1st, but I doubt. If a few weeks into April there's been no word from Sony at all, then the rumour was likely fake I wager. Doesn't mean they won't shut the stores inevitably though.

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I mean, you're 100% guaranteed to die. 

That doesn't mean we should start planning your funeral every time someone thinks they heard you cough.

The point isn't to fear death, it's to accept it's inevitability so that you can happily live your life regardless of what happens, regardless of the rumors and regardless of what people talk about in front of you.

Though obviously life and gaming are two very different things lol.

Edited by Dreakon13

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The point isn't to fear death, it's to accept it's inevitability so that you can happily live your life regardless of what happens.

Though obviously life and gaming are two very different things lol.

Well, sure, I can dig that point of view, for sure.

But, in this convoluted metaphor we are using, letting this thread run wild based on rumour would be like telling a bunch of people that you heard they have a fatal illness, then telling them not to worry, as they were going to die at some point anyway...

It's still not likely to make them feel much better, no matter how true it might be.

Personally, I'd rather advise them to wait, sit tight, and see what the doctor has to say, at least before they crack open the cyanide pills and the bottle of vodka by their bedside and drown the family dog...

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, sure, I can dig that point of view, for sure.

But, in this convoluted metaphor we are using, letting this thread run wild based on rumour would be like telling a bunch of people that you heard they have a fatal illness, then telling them not to worry, as they were going to die at some point anyway...

It's still not likely to make them feel much better, no matter how true it might be.

Personally, I'd rather advise them to wait, sit tight, and see what the doctor has to say...

Well, in this case, it's just video games so I'm more likely to take the blunt approach.  Though I'd say the PS3 stores being shut down is more imminent than most things regardless of the rumor (see: the web store debacle) so it may be time to face facts either way.

And since I've been thoroughly opposed to the all-digital approach people have taken and the attitude towards "archaic" physical collections over the years, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bit of bias.

8 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

And since I've been thoroughly opposed to the all-digital approach people have taken and the attitude towards "archaic" physical collections over the years, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bit of bias.

The irony...

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/23137-so-i-guess-this-isnt-possible-anymore/?do=findComment&comment=498912

• Like 1