Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

And since I've been thoroughly opposed to the all-digital approach people have taken and the attitude towards "archaic" physical collections over the years, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bit of bias.

Ah, okay, ? I get it... there's a bit of schadenfreude here, eh?

You maybe looking forward to little bit of "I told you so-ism"?

I mean, sure, there may be a way this could go that would validate your view on these things, but that's hardly a fait accompli.

I mean, that will only be true if patches and dlc for physical games can still be accessed, but digital re-downloading can't. 

I'm not sure I can see that as a likely outcome myself, but I guess it's possible.

You never know -  as I've said over and over - we just don't know what, if anything, is changing :dunno:

22 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The point isn't to fear death, it's to accept it's inevitability so that you can happily live your life regardless of what happens, regardless of the rumors and regardless of what people talk about in front of you.

Though obviously life and gaming are two very different things lol.

People would freak out just as much if someone told them their life services will shut down on X date.  Either way knowing exactly when something will end will cause panic

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

?

You've got an awful long memory there Daiv - I personally hope you never turn that particular eye-of-Sauron like contradiction finder on my posts - I've been on here so long, I can only imagine what levels of depraved hypocrisy you could find in my posts if you went back far enough?  ?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

They still need to get a grip. Most that are moaning haven't touched PS3 in years. 

Yeah this has been on the cards for awhile They are probably moaning because they are realising they may have to finally go back and play their PS3 backlog. Its.no different than having to deal with MP servers being shutdown really in terms of finishing games or 100 percent .

I highly doubt all of this is true, people need to chill. It's a really bad look for Sony to block digital access to games previously bought. It would effect the digital sales for PS4 / PS5. As people would fear that could happen again there.and rather buy physical.

All that is happening is that store will.be shutdown and you won't be able to.make.new.purchaeea. To.be honest the prices for PS3 games and DLC on PSN now are stupidly expensive for a old game.. much cheaper to buy the game 2nd hand on disc if available.

The bigger issue here is if the store is shut down soon, it may also trigger developers to.all start to shut down their MP game servers for PS3 / Vita. As they can't sell the games to support the infrastructure costs.

Edited by SlipingJimmy

2 hours ago, WishingLemon said:

Not when it's literally in the ToS that you agree to. I think there's only been one case of a lawsuit even similar going anywhere when a Russian guy tried to sue Steam for banning him and locking him out of his library. And that is only going so far because Valve never stated what would lead to loss of account access.

They can literally just turn the tap off and be like 'nope'. Without notice.

Again, you legally agree to these Terms of Service. It's shitty, but that's why people have been saying to say physical. Although with the rumoured battery issue in the PS4 it looks like even that might not be a workaround anymore. Certainly that's more grounds for a lawsuit than closing obsolete servers. But Sony are a company, if something is not making money enough to stay viable they will shutter it. Who is actively using the PS3 servers now? Certainly not the Fifa/Cod/GTA bros all on the PS5. A handful of people on an obscure trophy site aren't enough reason to keep servers open.

And let's say it is illegal. What is anyone going to do about it? Do you have the money to sue them? Does anyone? No. Sony have the cash not only for the best lawyers but also enough cash that they can tie it up in the courts long enough to bankrupt you before they lose. They know it too. This is also why Google/Alphabet never gets sued over all their shady shit.

This actually isn't entirely accurate. The TOS is really to limit liability - it doesn't prevent a lawsuit, and doesn't prevent a successful lawsuit. There are actually laws in many countries that over ride TOS limitations. A company will use the 'well they agreed to the TOS' as a defense, but a judge may still rule that the TOS is unreasonable, unenforceable and in some cases illegal (not criminal go to jail illegal, but rather a breach of consumer protection laws). There is actually a risk to a company of having an overly restrictive TOS, as a judge can rule the entire TOS unenforceable - which is a very bad outcome.

What the TOS does do a very good job of is preventing a single end user from successfully mounting litigation. As you said, not many individuals have the money to take on Sony. They will just drown you in a legal bill. But a class action lawsuit, by a large firm, with thousands of clients - Sony can't bury that easily. That is why you see so many large scale class action suits for things that could never be litigated at an individual level. Likely such a suit would be settled out of court (like what happened with the PSN outage/hack in the early 2010's)

Now, obviously this is all speculation, and wildly premature at this time. But if, as you said, Sony just 'turned off the tap without notice' and locked the entire user base out of content they had been purchasing with no advanced warning - the TOS absolutely would not protect them from a lawsuit. It would be class action. It would be settled. Most users would probably get pennies on the dollar, but absolutely, they could not get away with it, regardless of what the TOS says. In the even that Sony as a company went bankrupt and the whole PSN goes under - well, we're all fucked in that case - but just turning off and locking out millions of users - couldn't do it. Period.

Having reflected on the information for 24 hours, I think this may be a dev either drumming up viral attention, or not really understanding the situation.

It is not unreasonable that Sony may announce that they will be ending all PS3, PSVita and PSP sales on the store of those respective consoles as of July and Aug. The Store won't be closed or taken offline, you just won't be able to make new purchases. That's a reasonable advanced warning.

They may take the stores offline and advise users that the content will be unavailable at a later date - I would expect at least 6-12 months of advanced warning.

This is not unlike what 3rd parties do when a game is going offline or delisting  - DLC content is generally suspended from sale some months in advance of the service going dark.

Sony would have to do this if they were planning a large scale shut down.

1 hour ago, SlipingJimmy said:

Yeah this has been on the cards for awhile They are probably moaning because they are realising they may have to finally go back and play their PS3 backlog. Its.no different than having to deal with MP servers being shutdown really in terms of finishing games or 100 percent .

I highly doubt all of this is true, people need to chill. It's a really bad look for Sony to block digital access to games previously bought. It would effect the digital sales for PS4 / PS5. As people would fear that could happen again there.and rather buy physical.

All that is happening is that store will.be shutdown and you won't be able to.make.new.purchaeea. To.be honest the prices for PS3 games and DLC on PSN now are stupidly expensive for a old game.. much cheaper to buy the game 2nd hand on disc if available.

The bigger issue here is if the store is shut down soon, it may also trigger developers to.all start to shut down their MP game servers for PS3 / Vita. As they can't sell the games to support the infrastructure costs.

I think PS3 and PSVita should be looked at differently. The Vita is still getting new releases and has just been retired by Sony. There is no new generation. The PS3 is now 2 gens old, and has not had a new game in almost 3 years.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I think PS3 and PSVita should be looked at differently. The Vita is still getting new releases and has just been retired by Sony. There is no new generation. The PS3 is now 2 gens old, and has not had a new game in almost 3 years.

The thing is people would still be buying PS3 games if they actually put them on sale, Xbox puts original xbox and 360 games on sale still but Sony can't?

• Like 3

On 3/22/2021 at 7:16 AM, arcanehornet_ said:

It’s funny how the PS5 digital edition might be completely useless in 15 years.

I've literally been mocked for being a hipster by my friends for saying I'm not getting the digital version of the PS5. As if discs are just this retro thing we have no use for anymore... like... have you been paying the slightest bit of attention to industry trends lately? Do you realize how short the lifespan of this stuff is?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GeminiEntity said:

So a rumor (from only one source) about not being able to buy PS3 games digitally, turns into trophies not working anymore and your download list also being done.

I'm not saying don't play it safe, if you got games to buy on PS3 then do so, but the rest is just fear mongering at this point.

Their reputation would be assassinated by declaring an entire generation of gaming and history obsolete within a matter of months.

Closing the storefronts is likely happening, it's how you ween new products off the platform so it's not so painful to full retire the systems YEARS down the road. New games still come out for Vita every single month. There's still costs to maintain updates, security etc on these platforms. They want to start sending the signal to stop growing your libraries on legacy platforms. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong just what it is.

My concern isn't whether the storefront is closed or not, its whether or not the rumors of your entire digital collection going kaput are true or not.

Its really weird how people used to freakout about steam crashing and losing their collections, but the actual concern is now with the PS3.

• Like 1

Just now, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

My concern isn't whether the storefront is closed or not, its whether or not the rumors of your entire digital collection going kaput are true or not.

Its really weird how people used to freakout about steam crashing and losing their collections, but the actual concern is now with the PS3.

No rumours about games going, only rumour is store closing.. everything else is just fear mongering

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WishingLemon said:

Not when it's literally in the ToS that you agree to. I think there's only been one case of a lawsuit even similar going anywhere when a Russian guy tried to sue Steam for banning him and locking him out of his library. And that is only going so far because Valve never stated what would lead to loss of account access.

They can literally just turn the tap off and be like 'nope'. Without notice.

Oh i do remember that story. Didn't it end with the Russian guy ragequitting the whole thing? His ban was well-deserved anyway, judging from what he wrote in the forums.

23 minutes ago, GeminiEntity said:

So a rumor (from only one source) about not being able to buy PS3 games digitally, turns into trophies not working anymore and your download list also being done.

I'm not saying don't play it safe, if you got games to buy on PS3 then do so, but the rest is just fear mongering at this point.

Not only that, they even said we're going to lose game updates and account sign-in lmao.

Edited by Lance_87

2 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

No rumours about games going, only rumour is store closing.. everything else is just fear mongering

This is true and I'll admit that I'm not the most informed individual when it comes to consoles/news/etc.

On the otherhand, I can't really see them shutting the store down, but still keeping the servers up for the ps3 for much longer.

9 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Well to be fair, there are rumors about how the servers being shutdown would turn your ps3 into a timebomb with your digital purchases: https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1374034203826909196

I wouldn't worry about this too much yet since nothing has been said about the ps3 servers, but it is a valid concern.

2 minutes ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

On the otherhand, I can't really see them shutting the store down, but still keeping the servers up for the ps3 for much longer.

PS Now should stop a lot of the nonsense that's been spread. You have to sign into the PS3 Network to be able to play the games, you can also sync your trophies and transfer your PS3 game saves via PS Plus. Sony aren't just gonna terminate half the library. I can't believe a store shutdown is turning into everything is getting terminated. Madness. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

Well to be fair, there are rumors about how the servers being shutdown would turn your ps3 into a timebomb with your digital purchases: https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1374034203826909196

I wouldn't worry about this too much yet since nothing has been said about the ps3 servers, but it is a valid concern.

That's more along the lines of just speculation and talk, not really a rumor about something officially happening. 

Right now, the only rumor is the store front. Everything else is just people in this thread running with any fear they ever had.

• Like 3