Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

1 minute ago, Pottercito_ said:

What is the possibility of Sony shutting down the PSN server in PS3 and VITA? I mean troohy syncing and so... I play most in my PS3 all the time

Pretty low because there isn't much of a point in doing so since it's just syncing up to the profile servers.  What I think is the more likely way trophy syncing will become impossible is that some security upgrade will become needed that the PS3 and Vita won't be able to support and they'll be blocked due to being unable to sign in.  Kind of like how EU can't buy games on the PS3 store with a credit card due to EU regulations requiring something the PS3 can't support.

• Like 2

On 22-3-2021 at 3:32 PM, Silocia said:

Considering Sony have already molded the PS4 and PS5 store its more than likely every generation forward will be done the same. So no, it wont be completely useless.

Also no grim reminders, the store is closing but you will still be able to download your games and play them as normal.

Jesus what is wrong with people. Closing down a 15 year old FREE service and people get so uptight and start scaremongering. Why do "gamers" think they're entitled to everything, forever.

maybe a bit hard to swallow for people like you

but they say you BUY said games therefore you own them. if that gets taken away thats STEALING

they should have called it renting for an unspecified amount of time if they wanted to prevent this.

also newsflash if they close the store you cnat acces it anymore most likely which also means you cant get in the store so ypu cnat get to your download list either

realy people need to think more before they say stuff like this that makes them look dumb and uninformed.

6 minutes ago, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

Always nice to come home after a long and hard day of work and see 160+ new messages in 1 thread. 

5 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Pretty low because there isn't much of a point in doing so since it's just syncing up to the profile servers.  What I think is the more likely way trophy syncing will become impossible is that some security upgrade will become needed that the PS3 and Vita won't be able to support and they'll be blocked due to being unable to sign in.  Kind of like how EU can't buy games on the PS3 store with a credit card due to EU regulations requiring something the PS3 can't support.

Yeah this one makes a trophy hunter goes from 100 to 0 in a second.

Edited by Hysteria

17 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I hope so. I mean they announced Plus not available in PS3 like a year before shutting it down, so if they are going to shut down PS3 servers like syncing trophy, minimun 6 months 

29 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Well that's one good thing that came out of Brexit.

51 minutes ago, Hysteria said:

It’s a natural feeling to feel that way after all of these years our minds can’t take it easily & don’t believe it so here is where the panic starts . 

I know a lot of people in this thread think people are over reacting with assuming other online features may get terminated along with the store fronts if this rumour proves true, but as you said, it's a natural feeling. For me personally, yeah I don't think trophy syncing ceasing, not being able to re-download your content or PSN in general being terminated for PS3/Vita is going to come as soon as they do inevitably shut down the stores, but it just hits home that these things will not last forever. People have been speculating since the PS4 came out when Sony would cut the cord for the PS3 entirely, this isn't really anything new, it's just that this rumour re-ignited that dread in a lot of people.

Doesn't help that the webstore redesign started as a rumour on a website no one had ever heard of before, and turned out to be true, definitely makes me a lot more fearful that this current rumour may also be true. If it wasn't for the previous shady rumour actually holding water, I may be a bit more skeptical about this whole thing.

Yeah, we probably shouldn't panic yet until we have official confirmation, but knowing that doesn't get rid of that nagging worry that the end may be right around the corner. If the storefronts really do get shut down in July/August, that will be less than a year since the webstore redesign. It's not a long time at all, who's to say they won't only give a few months notice of other services on PS3 and Vita being terminated? It's really the lack of any info from Sony at this point and how many things they've just randomly decided to get rid of that's causing the most concern for me over all this.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

https://www.psu.com/news/the-ps4-clock-battery-can-die-which-means-access-to-all-your-digital-games-will-be-lost/

Even Lance Mcdonald has commented on it and he knows what he's talking about. I've heard the PS3 works in exactly the same way. 

You can replace the CMOS battery following these steps: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+4+Pro+Motherboard++Replacement/88798

Should cost about $5.

Yes, the PS3 has a CMOS battery as well (as does practically any computer motherboard) for around the same cost.

22 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

https://www.psu.com/news/the-ps4-clock-battery-can-die-which-means-access-to-all-your-digital-games-will-be-lost/

Even Lance Mcdonald has commented on it and he knows what he's talking about. I've heard the PS3 works in exactly the same way. 

The funniest part is going to Lance's tweet linked in the article and seeing people pissed at trophy hunters because Sony designed the system in a dumb way, as if it was the hunters' fault. Ah, Twitter. Always reminding me why I hate it so much. :awesome:

9 minutes ago, GeminiEntity said:

You have the option to see your list through account management. They are separate to some degree.

Systems fail all the time and you get your games back via the server. What you posted isn't any different, so I'm not seeing the issue.

lol the vita doesnt have that  and even on ps 3 it works trough the store

11 minutes ago, GeminiEntity said:

Systems fail all the time and you get your games back via the server. What you posted isn't any different, so I'm not seeing the issue.

Essentially, from what I gathered from that article, if the PS3 and/or PS4 are no longer able to connect to PSN at some point because they disable the servers for them or something, then we're screwed if our CMOS batteries ever die. Because the consoles check the time against the internet to ensure you're not cheating with trophies, and/or to check licenses(?), and it wouldn't be able to do that if the internal clock was reset due to a different CMOS battery or I assume a factory reset. But by that point, I'll be more worried about the fact that would inevitably mean we wouldn't be able to re-download our games at all, or download patches.

It seems it's something that can already be circumvanted with homebrew anyway, from what I understand.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
Autocorrect taking the piss

8 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Essentially, from what I gathered from that article, if the PS3 and/or PS4 are no longer able to connect to PSN at some point because they disable the servers for them or something, then we're screwed if our CMOS batteries ever die. Because the consoles check the time against the internet to ensure you're not cheating with trophies, and/or to check licenses(?), and it wouldn't be able to do that if the internal clock was reset due to a different CMOS battery or I assume a factory reset. But by that point, I'll be more worried about the fact that would inevitably mean we wouldn't be able to re-download our games at all, or download patches.

It seems it's something that can already be circumvanted with homebrew anyway, from what I understand.

Well said, that's what the article is trying to say. 

On the ps3 the download list is basically remnants of the old store before they redesigned it in 2012(some ps3 games even let you access the dlc pages of the old store ingame as well). And i think when the new store launched you had to download an app just to access the damn thing(you can even delete it off the system if you want). So its possible that the download list may be safe because the files of the old store are stored on the system os side rather then on the server.

4 minutes ago, GeminiEntity said:

Sorry, should have clarified I was talking about PS3 only. Working through the store and having to enter the store are two different things though. The list could easily be a separate thing, which I think is the case giving it is faster and doesn't have loading problems like the store.

Still not really seeing the issue that makes this problem unique, as you need the servers to download the games in the first place and a system failing means redownloading your games.

This would explain the speed difference. Not too mention downloading through the store eventually I get kicked off and it closes, where as the download list does not.

it MIGHT be a seperate thing but I wouldnt bet on it

also this affects vita and ps3 and on vita at least we know thats not an option anyway

either way no mather how you slice it this isnt good for tons of reasons

9 minutes ago, Silocia said:

People sitting here saying "you dont buy digital games, they can take it off, of you" take your Tin foil hat off. It's never happened except from P.T and you never owned that, it was demo.

I know people who have been banned and lost access to their libraries.  So they definitely can take your games away whenever they see fit... and it definitely will happen to all of our accounts even if it's 25 years from now when the PSN servers go kaput.  The only debatable thing at the moment is how they'll handle any potentially imminent store/service closures.

Edited by Dreakon13

but anyway  this is my last post here   in this thread if I have to explain absic stuff like this I might as well become a kindergarten teacher they have an excuse and reason to understand it at the very least

edit @Silocia for some reason my entire 3ds libary is deleted   I cnat download anything anymore my ambasador program games etc all gone. also it did happen before

also look it up happened tons of times before  a lot of gaes got delisted and cant be redownload  even also there is stuff like playstation mobile  and dont forget wii dsi and wiiu stuff either

Edited by DaivRules
added info

8 minutes ago, GeminiEntity said:

Still not really seeing the issue that makes this problem unique, as you need the servers to download the games in the first place and a system failing means redownloading your games.

As I said, I'd be more concerned with the fact that if and when that day ever comes when PSN is no longer a thing on those consoles, my biggest concern would not being able to re-download anything. I think the point the article is trying to make though is that if you've already downloaded digital games, PSN is dead so you can't re-download them, and your CMOS battery dies and you replace it, it would check for licenses and the internet time which it would be unable to do, essentially locking you out of your digital games that you can no longer ever re-download or play because PSN is gone. Whether or not a future like that will ever come, and whether or not there's any solutions to get around these issues by then, time will tell.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

I know people who have been banned and lost access to their libraries.  So they definitely can take your games away whenever they see fit... and it definitely will happen even if it's 25 years from now when the PSN servers go kaput.  The only debatable thing at the moment is how they'll handle any potentially imminent store/server closures.

They can take it away if they ban your account and I guarantee that is clearly stated in the terms that everyone just clicks.

considering they've merged the 4 and 5 store/libraries together clearly show (for now) the direction Sony are taking. More than likely the store will be become like steam and you will be able to play everything from 4 onwards in the future. They might even get rid of numbered consoles and release yearly bi-yearly hardware upgrades and it works similar to how phone works now. Makes sense to me.

They might eventually can the PS3 library from people because they cant integrate it due to the architectural issues of the 3 and the recent models, right now, just removing the store doesnt evident that. If they are to do they might do it in like another 10 years when people shouldnt be that bothered but even then theres going to be people crying that apparently they still giant backlogs 25 years later.

4 minutes ago, visvoer18 said:

edit @Silocia for some reason my entire 3ds libary is deleted   I cnat download anything anymore my ambasador program games etc all gone. also it did happen before

also look it up happened tons of times before  a lot of gaes got delisted and cant be redownload  even also there is stuff like playstation mobile  and dont forget wii dsi and wiiu stuff either

I dont care about your Nintendo examples. Nintendo also think its acceptable to release a game for a limited time and then pull it, Sony doesnt do that.

De-listed games CAN be redownloaded, they just cant be bought from the store. I've already proven this in some other thread about someone crying and the games he provided "evidence" to the de-listing that I owned, I went straight into my library and re-downloaded them with zero issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silocia said:

They can take it away if they ban your account and I guarantee that is clearly stated in the terms that everyone just clicks.

considering they've merged the 4 and 5 store/libraries together clearly show (for now) the direction Sony are taking. More than likely the store will be become like steam and you will be able to play everything from 4 onwards in the future. They might even get rid of numbered consoles and release yearly bi-yearly hardware upgrades and it works similar to how phone works now. Makes sense to me.

They might eventually can the PS3 library from people because they cant integrate it due to the architectural issues of the 3 and the recent models, right now, just removing the store doesnt evident that. If they are to do they might do it in like another 10 years when people shouldnt be that bothered but even then theres going to be people crying that apparently they still giant backlogs 25 years later.

First, I'm sure there's more than that stated in the ToS.

Second, I agree the PS4 and PS5 are probably more likely to last longer due to simplified/improved compatibility.  The PS3 was an unfortunate anomoly that Sony probably wants to distance themselves from support-wise.

Third, we can't be sure whether it'll be two months from now or 25 years from now.  That's the point.

3 minutes ago, Silocia said:

I dont care about your Nintendo examples. Nintendo also think its acceptable to release a game for a limited time and then pull it, Sony doesnt do that.

De-listed games CAN be redownloaded, they just cant be bought from the store. I've already proven this in some other thread about someone crying and the games he provided "evidence" to the de-listing that I owned, I went straight into my library and re-downloaded them with zero issues.

you said it never happened before  I give examples it did happen and instead of saying you where wrong your saying you dont care about my example because its nintendo  you didnt specify sony you said it never happened before

you didnt say it never happened before with sony

also it doesnt mather in both cases you are wrong

playstation mobile is sony  which you convenietly didnt mention ofcourse.

and lots of delisted games CANT be redownloaded

at least get your facts straight.

and lol your atatck on nintendo if you wanna go that way I could also add that sony  thinks its justified to censor games

thats totaly unrelated and doesnt add anything at all

anyway I said it previus comment I will say it again and this time I wil keep my worth this is my last post about it  because clearly people are not sticking to facts  make personal attacks instead of attacking on the arguments and  dont actualy read well

• Like 1