Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

14 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Very well said. 

Mainstream social media is a fucking cancer. All it takes is a rumor or a claim and people will fucking cry their hearts out. 

I’m not surprised, because given the small audience PS3 and Vita have left the stores WILL close. I’ve expected this long before this rumor came out. 

My issue is the possibility of Sony drastically trying to shove their older library down the toilet. That’s really what most people here are upset about. Not if it will happen, but how soon it will happen. 

Sony these past few years has proven over and over they don’t give a shit about the gamers. A number of indie developers and Japanese developers are advertising their games for Steam, Switch and Xbox Series X, but not on PS4 or PS5.

It is sadly inevitable that we won't be able to re-download our old content at some point. And yeah, that's what worries me the most. I already have everything I want on PS3 and Vita, so I don't really care that much for myself in that regard. My problem is that a lot of games are going to be lost, potentially forever, and the option to ever buy anything in the future will be taken away from us. So if you ever discover some old PS3 or Vita game years down the line that you'd like to get, maybe because it's related to a new game coming out or something, you better hope it got a physical release otherwise you're out of luck.

I've always been a fan of many Japanese made games and there's been more and more games I'm interested in not releasing on Playstation, so I'm having to get them on Switch or other platforms instead. Not to mention Japan Studio getting whittled down. I try to see it as positive nowadays, maybe less games that I want being released for Playstation will help "wean" me off the brand eventually. There's still some PS5 exclusives I'm going to want to get eventually, but I'm in no rush, especially when games are now launching at £65-70 on PS5, whereas new Xbox Series X games seem to be £60 at most, last I checked, which is a £10 increase from the usual £50 RRP for most new "full" games nowadays. The price hike, at least here in the UK, is insane. But of course, the genius that is Jim Ryan seems to think a £20 increase for new games is "reasonable".

The whole "for the players" slogan kind of feels like a slap in the face nowadays with all the anti-consumerist approaches Sony has been taking in recent years.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

It is sadly inevitable that we won't be able to re-download our old content at some point. And yeah, that's what worries me the most. I already have everything I want on PS3 and Vita, so I don't really care that much for myself in that regard. My problem is that a lot of games are going to be lost, potentially forever, and the option to ever buy anything in the future will be taken away from us. So if you ever discover some old PS3 or Vita game years down the line that you'd like to get, maybe because it's related to a new game coming out or something, you better hope it got a physical release otherwise you're out of luck.

I've always been a fan of many Japanese made games and there's been more and more games I'm interested in not releasing on Playstation, so I'm having to get them on Switch or other platforms instead. Not to mention Japan Studio getting whittled down. I try to see it as positive nowadays, maybe less games that I want being released for Playstation will help "wean" me off the brand eventually. There's still some PS5 exclusives I'm going to want to get eventually, but I'm in no rush, especially when games are now launching at £65-70 on PS5, whereas new Xbox Series X games seem to be £60 at most, last I checked, which is a £10 increase from the usual £50 RRP for most new "full" games nowadays. The price hike, at least here in the UK, is insane. But of course, the genius that is Jim Ryan seems to think a £20 increase for new games is "reasonable".

The whole "for the players" slogan kind of feels like a slap in the face nowadays with all the anti-consumerist approaches Sony has been taking in recent years.

A decillion times this.  Sony abandoning Japan is fucking insane.  Their leadership's dismissal of the region is going to end up killing the brand as a whole, especially when you consider the fact that Japan is what saved the Playstation 3.  That market's complete rejection of the XBox 360 is the only reason the 360 didn't sell over 100,000,000 units.  Don't believe me?  Imagine what would've happened if the 360 sold like hot cakes in Japan?  The Playstation 3 would've been a year behind with Microsoft having a huge lead in all three major markets for console gamings.

With that kind of momentum and all the difficulties third party developers had in developing for the Playstation 3, their recovery would've been a Sisyphean task as opposed to the nearly insurmountable one it was.  In all likelihood, without Japan as a safe harbor, the Playstation 3 would've had far less support and the Playstation 3 would likely have made the Wii U look like a modest success; which makes their abandonment of Japan so fucking galling!

10 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

A loss leader? That guy's a badass:

This most recent article mentions that the service isn't making much money for Microsoft (do note is from last summer):
https://wccftech.com/microsoft-admits-xbox-game-pass-isnt-really-making-a-lot-of-money-right-now/

The service is probably running on really thin margins; which is likely the primary motivation behind the Bethesda acquisition as it would give Microsoft a larger base of first party content to put on the service.  They'll have to spend money making the games, but at least they won't be paying other companies for that content, and will allow them to still have a broad range of content if one of their partners were to pull out due to a dispute.

For instance, the Utawarerumono games were recently delisted on PSN because Atlus's license to sell the game expired.  I still have access to the games and can download them at anytime because I purchased them before that happened.  If you have a scenario like this with a Game Pass game and you never purchased the game from XBox and that license is pulled kiss the game goodbye.

Edited by LordBilbanes
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

A decillion times this.  Sony abandoning Japan is fucking insane.  Their leadership's dismissal of the region is going to end up killing the brand as a whole, especially when you consider the fact that Japan is what saved the Playstation 3.  That market's complete rejection of the XBox 360 is the only reason the 360 didn't sell over 100,000,000 units.  Don't believe me?  Imagine what would've happened if the 360 sold like hot cakes in Japan?  The Playstation 3 would've been a year behind with Microsoft having a huge lead in all three major markets for console gamings.

With that kind of momentum and all the difficulties third party developers had in developing for the Playstation 3, their recovery would've been a Sisyphean task as opposed to the nearly insurmountable one it was.  In all likelihood, without Japan as a safe harbor, the Playstation 3 would've had far less support and the Playstation 3 would likely have made the Wii U look like a modest success; which makes their abandonment of Japan so fucking galling!

This most recent article mentions that the service isn't making much money for Microsoft (do note is from last summer):
https://wccftech.com/microsoft-admits-xbox-game-pass-isnt-really-making-a-lot-of-money-right-now/

The service is probably running on really thin margins; which is likely the primary motivation behind the Bethesda acquisition as it would give Microsoft a larger base of first party content to put on the service.  They'll have to spend money making the games, but at least they won't be paying other companies for that content, and will allow them to still have a broad range of content if one of their partners were to pull out due to a dispute.

I don't disagree. My post was in reference to the Dragon Quest monster. ?

3 hours ago, me_is_caveman said:

R.I.P. PS3

2006-2021

Good thing I finished all trophies in all ps3 games I started. I have a few more digital games on ps3, but never played them. Looks like now I never will either!

You can play them if you already bought them, just like I did, I have bought everything in case this article is real

54 minutes ago, Trini said:

I just find it fascinating that so many are rushing to buying ps3/vita games as we speak, while Sony has yet to deny or confirm this "source". It also depicts just how much influence the media have over the population for spreading what is still currently being labeled as a rumor. 

Even if it’s not true, it’s more of a wake up call to buy your PS3 games/DLCs since there won’t be any more sales for those systems...

Something nobody mention is all the PS3 Voucher codes, if the store goes down no Online passes/ free dlc if codes aren’t expired(ex. CODs prestige and hardened copies have season passes) So who really knows what will happen, but if something does happen I’m sure we all will be getting an email like we did with other things that happen with the store/psn

20 minutes ago, Carbon_Lancer said:

Even if it’s not true, it’s more of a wake up call to buy your PS3 games/DLCs since there won’t be any more sales for those systems...

if the rumors are true, maybe sony will do a massive sale for the old stuff

I don't know but buying now seems kinda dumb... they will tell you about the closure in advance

if there is no sale - nothing lost, go and buy

and if there is one - go, buy and save a lot of money

30 minutes ago, Alaquia said:

if the rumors are true, maybe sony will do a massive sale for the old stuff

I don't know but buying now seems kinda dumb... they will tell you about the closure in advance

if there is no sale - nothing lost, go and buy

and if there is one - go, buy and save a lot of money

Love your optimism, but there hasn’t been a sale on the PS3 stuff in years, just look at the Mass Effect 3 dlc thread, guess I got that DLC long ago when it was on sale... or like a horrible Trials clone called Motorbike, it’s never went on sale I bought that last year full price. It would be awesome if they did a sale at the end, the only time I saw that was Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 DLC, they had it on sale before delisting...and it could all be false I just don’t see any old stuff being on sale atleast not in NA/EU... maybe a month or two ago I saw Japan had some PS3 only titles on sale and was shocked.

edit- actually I remember before Adventure Time (Vita) and another little orbit game went on sale before delisting

Edited by Carbon_Lancer
Remember Litlle Orbit sale

What I don't understand is why Sony hasn't addressed this? They could easily put this to bed with a blog post but its obvious at least to my eyes there is some truth to what is being said.

I also laugh at everyone at who is saying Xbox backwards compatibility is minimal. I played Far cry 1 on my series X last night. I platinumed it on had it on PlayStation and I had to get my PS3 from storage and stuff around plugging it in.

Edited by Dan-lives-here

I'm not so sure that I believe this article, since if what the article saying is true and the store is going to close on July 2nd, that means Sony is only giving us 3 months notice before the PlayStation store is going to be shutdown. 3 months is an incredibly short  amount of time to announce the closure for something as important as the PlayStation store.

I mean game servers that get shut down are announced 6 months to a year in advance. I doubt Sony would be so careless and stupid to to give people 3 months, if the article said the store would close next year then I would think it would be more plausible. 

However I still expect Sony to announce the PS3 Store to close in the near future (In 1-2 Years). So I would start working on your digital ps3 games backlog since the PS3 Store won't be around for that much longer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

They are probably looking at the amount of people panic buying PS3 and Vita games off the store at full price and thinking. hmmmmmm let's sit on this a for a while longer.

And then everyone "omg fuck you sony we want refunds!!!!" :lol:

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth (probably nothing), it seems Thomas Altenburger (ScourgeBringer dev) has since deleted his tweets about ScourgeBringer being IDed LASTVITAGAME, and the one about the Vita's storefront originally going to be taken offline in 2018.

Mind you, I don't know much about twitter, I try to avoid that toxic cesspool as much as possible, so maybe this is a common thing for folks over there and this literally means nothing.

• Like 2

So I just tried to access the old store via the link that was given from a thread on here and it's saying "Access denied". Hopefully its a glitch but if not, then PlayStation legit just locked us out of all those purchases for the PS3, Vita and all that DLC. This would be such a fucked up move by them and it'll cause them more harm than good.

33 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

For whatever it's worth (probably nothing), it seems Thomas Altenburger (ScourgeBringer dev) has since deleted his tweets about ScourgeBringer being IDed LASTVITAGAME, and the one about the Vita's storefront originally going to be taken offline in 2018.

Mind you, I don't know much about twitter, I try to avoid that toxic cesspool as much as possible, so maybe this is a common thing for folks over there and this literally means nothing.

Thomas Nothingburger.

But in all seriousness, doesn't  mean much, if Twitter is the place that I remember, he probably got  heat after starting the drama himself, and cancelled the stuff in order to  sweep under the brush the matter and save his  reputation, now that he has to sell his game, after all.

• Like 1