Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

16 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

Just when trying to go to it. I'm at work and trying to access it, maybe it doesn't like that?

I accessed the old site on my phone and it works just fine. Weird. I'll have to try at home later.

Edit: tried again and it's working again

Weird. Whatever

It’s been behaving inconsistently for the past 3-4 days at least. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it won’t (Access Denied). I know because I still haven’t migrated my wishlist over (I do have screenshots in case the worst should happen) and have always made purchases using that link in the past. Now I’m kind of scared to. 

Then again, earlier I was on my PS4 and tried to open the store there and it just timed out twice and gave me an error. Lovely. It’d be nice if Sony would at least optimize their current store if the old one is going to become inaccessible. I don’t think I’ve ever been able to load a page from the new store on my phone. Usually works fine on my console though-just not tonight apparently. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

YouTube channels are having a click bait field day with this subject. They will look pretty silly once the real truth comes out with the fear mongering.  Sony are not in a position really to piss their gamer base off and lose gamers to other platforms. With Microsoft making territoral advances on their turf. This is one that definitely could cause alot of backlash.

Not saying this will not happen eventually maybe In a couple of years time.There's just too many politics in play here, for them to make a knee jerk reaction, they need to work with gamers and give them plenty of notice..

Similar to recent big changes to  Destiny 2, they announced they where removing 40 percent of the game for the beyond light upgrade. Gamers where losing access to content they have paid for.. They copped backlash with the short notice and they extended it to allow people plenty of time to work through this content. Which was more than fair, it was on you if you didn't get through it.

I personally don't care about losing access to a game I have bought that I have completed 100%. I'll never play it again, if I want it back for some reason, I'll buy it on disc for dirt cheap somewhere.

45 minutes ago, Ashbo said:

In light of the store shutdowns etc, not sure how much weight is in this, but if true, 'could' be a reason (doubtful) why the 3, PSP, Vita stores are going.

If you mean in the sense that it is something else that is related to Playstation, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

11 minutes ago, CallanGWProx said:

Just imagine the backlash that Sony will get if they do intend moving forward with this stance. Until the news comes out from the horses mouth I’m declaring **FAKE NEWS** as said famously by Donald J Trump

To be fair, I've heard over the past few days people say the thegamer.com (which as far as I'm aware is the first to report this rumour) is known for being a bit clickbaity in the past, so it's best to treat this with a pinch of salt until Sony possibly says something.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the DLCs becoming unavailable seeing as though like 80% of the current PS3 store is Rock Band, Rocksmith, Minecraft or LBP DLCs (for real what's with all the Rock Band add-ons like f*cking hell), I've made a list of stuff to possibly get such as Dark Souls stuff, but I already sunk like £40 yesterday on Mass Effect DLCs.

The only thing that will really piss me off is if Sony completely takes down their PS3 servers resulting in unsyncable trophies, though I doubt that'll happen.

By the way, does anyone know if GOTY physical discs will be affected if the rumours are true? For example, I have a physical copy of Skyrim Legendary Edition and when I put it in the PS3 a separate slot on the XMB shows up which has the three Skyrim DLCs which you can install, will those types of discs stop installing DLC if the store does go down?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PsychoHenni said:

To be fair, I've heard over the past few days people say the thegamer.com (which as far as I'm aware is the first to report this rumour) is known for being a bit clickbaity in the past, so it's best to treat this with a pinch of salt until Sony possibly says something.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the DLCs becoming unavailable seeing as though like 80% of the current PS3 store is Rock Band, Rocksmith, Minecraft or LBP DLCs (for real what's with all the Rock Band add-ons like f*cking hell), I've made a list of stuff to possibly get such as Dark Souls stuff, but I already sunk like £40 yesterday on Mass Effect DLCs.

The only thing that will really piss me off is if Sony completely takes down their PS3 servers resulting in unsyncable trophies, though I doubt that'll happen.

By the way, does anyone know if GOTY physical discs will be affected if the rumours are true? For example, I have a physical copy of Skyrim Legendary Edition and when I put it in the PS3 a separate slot on the XMB shows up which has the three Skyrim DLCs which you can install, will those types of discs stop installing DLC if the store does go down?

Agreed ??

• Like 1

While Sony themselves haven’t officially addressed this and a bunch of sources are talking about it, we won’t really know. PS3’s store hasn’t been great for over the past year and a half and difficult to navigate through. PS Vita on the other hand is straightforward but have to search for recent titles. 

Also to mention for those who are accessing the PS3 store and having issues purchasing stuff with your card, or adding funds - Go to your PS4 settings > Account Information > Account Management and add funds to your wallet that way. It’s long winded I know but it’s the only way 

40 minutes ago, PsychoHenni said:

True GOTY Edition discs have everything on the disc itself so no shutdowns of any kind will affect them. You only need to worry if this rumour turns out to be true and the DLCs in question are either entirely or partially code only so have to be obtained directly from the store itself. I'm not sure how Season Pass Discs would be affected since the store they access is essentially its own thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

True GOTY Edition discs have everything on the disc itself so no shutdowns of any kind will affect them. You only need to worry if this rumour turns out to be true and the DLCs in question are either entirely or partially code only so have to be obtained directly from the store itself. I'm not sure how Season Pass Discs would be affected since the store they access is essentially its own thing.

Ah, that's softened the blow I guess, here's hoping they won't be affected. Might have to install Dawnguard before the shutdown if it does happen just to be safe, God knows I hate those vampires killing every bloody person in that game

12 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

Finally, someone else who sees what I see about Game Scam!  It's a fucking honey trap is what it is.  What Microsoft is banking on is that so many people will tie their entire game libraries to the service that they become victim to the sunk cost fallacy.  That is when Microsoft jacks up the price to something like $50.00 a month and you are faced with paying up or spending hundreds to thousands of dollars purchasing all the games you previously rented.  What they are doing is utterly diabolical and the fucking lemmings who lap it up like seals over a bucket of chum just continue walking to their doom.

Isn't the whole point of renting because the consumer doesn't have the money to purchase each game? Why are you assuming renters are going to purchase a game if it's taken off the service or becomes too much to rent? A lot of people are fine not owning every game they've played, that's also why game stores buy back used games because some people sell their games when they've finished them. It's like when Netflix had removed Futurama. I highly doubt many people went out and bought all the seasons of Futurama because Netflix stopped streaming it. Also, why claim Microsoft is going to raise prices of Gamepass when they clearly don't have any intentions currently to do so? That's simply twisting reality to make yourself look more correct and fear mongering like the rest of this thread. Even if they did make it $50 a month the average person (not gamer) would likely finish 2-5 games within a month and the value of those games would likely exceed the $50 subscription cost.

1 hour ago, MandA60VISE said:

Isn't the whole point of renting because the consumer doesn't have the money to purchase each game? Why are you assuming renters are going to purchase a game if it's taken off the service or becomes too much to rent? A lot of people are fine not owning every game they've played, that's also why game stores buy back used games because some people sell their games when they've finished them. It's like when Netflix had removed Futurama. I highly doubt many people went out and bought all the seasons of Futurama because Netflix stopped streaming it. Also, why claim Microsoft is going to raise prices of Gamepass when they clearly don't have any intentions currently to do so? That's simply twisting reality to make yourself look more correct and fear mongering like the rest of this thread. Even if they did make it $50 a month the average person (not gamer) would likely finish 2-5 games within a month and the value of those games would likely exceed the $50 subscription cost.

the avarage person would finish 2-5 games a month? i would call myself a pretty hardcore gamer and i on avarage dont finish 5 games a month. espacially not on console and this includes the fact that i also play short games for the trophies which the avarage gamer does not do, a lot of gamers i know finish around 5-7 games a YEAR. even some that play alot. some Fifa, COD, GTA, NFS and maybe 1 or 2 story games. in COD you can stick to the Free to play part GTA is 8? years old and NFS is bought in sale from 2 years ago. espacially when you say "Not gamer" we talk about people that play animal crossing and pokemongo and thats it for 3 years.
this subscription services for the avarage person end up costing more than the "Value" they get out of it. Thats how this services work. Like an all you can eat retaurant were i as a 25 year of 90kg Male think "how does this finance itself" and then i see my girlfriend, mother, sister and father eating sushi worth 20€ combined while paying 20€ each and drinking 5€ orange juice

(some perspective on how many games the avarhe player finishes. on steam in the withcer 3 of all people that own and have played the iwtcher 67% of player found yennefer. thats basically the end of the prologue)

Edited by Ich1994-1994
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

the avarage person would finish 2-5 games a month? i would call myself a pretty hardcore gamer and i on avarage dont finish 5 games a month. espacially not on console and this includes the fact that i also play short games for the trophies which the avarage gamer does not do, a lot of gamers i know finish around 5-7 games a YEAR. even some that play alot. some Fifa, COD, GTA, NFS and maybe 1 or 2 story games. in COD you can stick to the Free to play part GTA is 8? years old and NFS is bought in sale from 2 years ago. espacially when you say "Not gamer" we talk about people that play animal crossing and pokemongo and thats it for 3 years.
this subscription services for the avarage person end up costing more than the "Value" they get out of it. Thats how this services work. Like an all you can eat retaurant were i as a 25 year of 90kg Male think "how does this finance itself" and then i see my girlfriend, mother, sister and father eating sushi worth 20€ combined while paying 20€ each and drinking 5€ orange juice

(some perspective on how many games the avarhe player finishes. on steam in the withcer 3 of all people that own and have played the iwtcher 67% of player found yennefer. thats basically the end of the prologue)

Ok I really have a good plan for your games if they plan to stop syncing trophies & you want to complete your games & sync them : 

- Start with an easy games 

- Game that you are familiar with ( gameplay , controls & how to finish & get the trophies pretty fast ) .

- Last go to games that are long /grind / hard .

I really wish if they will shutdown the PSN on PS3 , they let us to sync them in limited access which we can sync them after the shutdown.??‍♂️

it’s only speculation if they plan to .?

Edited by Hysteria

3 minutes ago, KON007 said:

This thread has gone wild, first we were discussing if the PlayStation store is closing down and whether we could download our purchased content if the store is closed. Now we're discussing that the entire PSN is being shutdown on PS3 and people panic buying from the PlayStation store.

Relax, Sony hasn't announced anything about the closure of either the PlayStation Store or PSN on the PS3, all we have is an article from an unnamed source (which isn't exactly reliable) saying the store is going to close on July 2nd.

Until Sony confirms or denies the closure, don't make any rash decisions. Just be aware that eventually the PS3 store will close and start working on your PS3 Backlog now. Plus if Sony was to announce the closure, they would likely announce it a year before closing it, not just 3 months before as the article suggests.

I would still advise making a bucket list of PS3/Vita content you want from the store and working on acquiring it sooner rather than later as the PS3/Vita store isn't going to last forever regardless if this shut down rumor is real or not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

I would still advise making a bucket list of PS3/Vita content you want from the store and working on acquiring it sooner rather than later as the PS3/Vita store isn't going to last forever regardless if this shut down rumor is real or not.

True, my prediction is that the PlayStation Store will be closed within 2 years. Best to be prepared for the closure, but not to go completely wild on just rumours alone.

I really hope this isn't real but with everything Sony has been doing lately it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Pretty dissapointed in them especially since picking up an Xbox One X last week, I mean shit Microsoft have it TOGETHER and you can still buy and download games/DLC for 360 (valid as it's directly comparable to PS3) and even OG Xbox and play it all on the current System. Hell there was even a DLC for TES IV Oblivion that wasn't showing up for Purchase on the MS Store (one of those many small add-ons that only PC/360 got if anyone remembers those) and the entire XBLM from the 360 Interface came up and I was able to make the purchase through an EMULATOR of the machine.

Anyway point is if they shut the Store down like this, and with such short notice (I saw someone mention they should at least give a Years notice... I agree, AT LEAST that with the fact there are no sales and you need to use the shit sluggish stores on the system to make said Purchases) I'm really considering buying the XSX first and making it my preferred Platform ? early PS3 Era Sony is making a comeback with a vengeance imo and I'm all OUT ✌️?

• Like 1

Well, if this is true, then many of us will have to tighten our panties, Dorothy, because Kansas is going bye-bye.

Now in all seriousness, I have plenty of DLCs to buy yet.

But here are my main concerns:

-Will this affect your "Download List/Transaction History"? As in: will we be able to download all our purchased games/DLCs/media despite the store "potentially" shutting down?

and:

-What will happen with the "renting servers" service of some games like Battlefiel? Because that option to rent a server is done by redirecting you to the PS Store.

Anyway, hope this isn't true, or at least give us a fair warning and some discounts so we can buy our games' crap.

But will have to keep an eye on this subject.

4 minutes ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

you can still buy and download games/DLC for 360 (valid as it's directly comparable to PS3)

The 360 had a three core PPC architecture that is fairly simple to emulate. The PS3 used an 8 specialized core Cell processor that didn't and doesn't function like any other processors before or since. They can't be validly directly compared.

• Like 1