Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Nah. It'd leave me gutted, surely. And I'd feel like Sony doesn't value me as a customer.

However, switching to XBox would essentially mean I didn't value my own money. There hasn't been anything to get excited about in the MS camp for practically a decade. Only exception being Sunset Overdrive, but I'd rather have a PS3 with no connectivity than purchase a Series X|S.

Why do people overlook Game Pass? Unless most people don't care about that but most Xbox users are happy with it. 

8 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Why do people overlook Game Pass?

Because I owne(d) every Xbox legacy game I was interested in when the hardware was relevant. XB1 has zero value to me as a consumer and Series X|S has solidified Microsoft as nothing more than a fart in the breeze as far as I'm concerned.

Even if this rumor ends up being bogus, that doesn't mean it isn't gonna happen within the next 1-3 years. I myself am taking this as a warning and as soon as my next stimulus check comes in im gonna buy any dlc i need for games i care about(i already bought the dead space 2 and 3 dlc and about 20% of the disgaea d2 dlc with the credit in my wallet) because the store shutting down is more of a question of if rather then when. At least with ps4 on most of the games will be protected due to backwards compatibility being taken more seriously(unless ps6 uses other weird tech). Ps3 and vitas architecture is just way too different and are just ticking timebombs at this point(and if some miracle makes a new sony handheld does happen it being able to play vita content isn't very likely because it will have totally different architecture closer to ps5)

5 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Because I owne(d) every Xbox legacy game I was interested in when the hardware was relevant. XB1 has zero value to me as a consumer and Series X|S has solidified Microsoft as nothing more than a fart in the breeze as far as I'm concerned.

I only said what I said because I'm concerned about the future of PlayStation. Right now Xbox is dominating and leading this generation and I'm worried that Xbox will dominate so much so that PlayStation ends up fading anyway into oblivion because of it. Game Pass is literally THE biggest draw of Xbox. All these bad desicions Sony keeps making isn't helping. More and more people are flocking to Xbox everyday. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I only said what I said because I'm concerned about the future of PlayStation. Right now Xbox is dominating and leading this generation and I'm worried that Xbox will dominate so much so that PlayStation ends up fading anyway into oblivion because of it. Game Pass is literally THE biggest draw of Xbox. All these bad desicions Sony keeps making isn't helping. More and more people are flocking to Xbox everyday. 

The great majority of console gamers are only worried about what is going on with the current system and what they want to play today. They're not jumping between different consoles because their feelings are hurt. The loud children on Twitter screaming otherwise are being disingenuous.

Contrary to what some people are worried about, this is not a zero sum game.

• Like 1

While right now all we have is a whole lot of speculation, rumors, and worst case scenarios, I would at least consider the very real possibility that within the near future we will not be able to buy games in these stores anymore. So it definitely does not hurt to plan ahead: see which games and DLC you don't want to miss out on.

Honestly, I didn't even consider potential trophy list sync issues - I would urge anyone not to worry about that for now. That seems like a separate issue.

Hopefully Sony will release a statement soon so we now exactly what to expect and what to plan for.

33 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Xbox is dominating lol no. PS5 has sold double the amount of units. Gamepass is way overrated with misleading subscriber numbers. Most subs are people making multiple accounts abusing the £1 a month. 

Edited by GUDGER666

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Let me ask everyone this... If this happens, is it enough to make you switch to Xbox?

I've already been leaning to Xbox for a while now. Even before the two consoles were out, Series X was looking more and more appealing.

• With the Series X, I can just pack up my Xbox One and put it into storage, and the Series X will be the only Microsoft console I need hooked up to my TV, still being able to play what games I currently still have in my OG, 360 and X1 backlog on it. Can't do that with Playstation, not even with the PS5, too many PS4 games on it have issues.
  • I don't have to buy new controllers with the Series X, though I likely will anyway since my current ones are 8 years old now and one of them has issues with the D-pad double clicking.
  • The Series X supports expanded storage out the box, and has better compatibility with external hard drives.
  • I prefer its more simplistic design and the fact the controllers haven't changed drastically. Really not a fan of how bulky the Dualsense looks, I know the Xbox controllers have a similar design, but they've always been that way. I miss the Dualshocks 1-3.
  • Series X has quick resume mode, essentially giving you save states to pause games with while you hop into another.
  • I'm still not really a huge fan of Microsoft, but I've softened up to them in recent times with them seemingly listening to their customers more often. Whereas Sony seemingly couldn't give a rat's ass and thinks they're untouchable because they're rolling in PS5 dough right now. Basically, Microsoft = less anti-consumer than Sony, therefore, more appealing.

There's some benefits the PS5 has over the Series X of course, namely having more exclusives I'm interested in, and I've put far more time and money into my Playstation account than my Xbox one, so I feel I have a lot more invested with them.

Either way, there's a good chance I will have Xbox as my primary this gen, regardless of this rumour being true or not. I still don't really plan to buy either one till the end of the year at the earliest anyway because they have next to no games right now that interest me, but I will get both eventually, they do both have exclusives and upcoming exclusives that I'd want to get at some point. Likely going to wait on a revision of the PS5, one that's less massive and has more reasonable internal storage capacity.

Also, Game Pass is honestly one of my worst nightmares in the making. I've been dreading for a while now that games are going to become mostly subscription/cloud based, and that it may get to a point where you can't buy any games at all. Period. It's all just Netflix style subscription services where games are shuffled in and out of the roster and some games will never return due to licensing issues.

I'd sooner take an all digital future over that. At least with digital games, you don't need to rush to play them, there's no set time limit, you'll likely still be able to play them a decade after you bought them. And you can technically back them up, might require homebrewing, but at least there usually is some way to. PC games are even easier to backup, especially when you purchase off places like GOG. Which is why I'll likely just go full PC gaming if the day ever comes that physical ceases to exist.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Why do people overlook Game Pass? Unless most people don't care about that but most Xbox users are happy with it. 

Just don't, most trophy hunters are Sony loyalists for the sake of trophies. 

To your question, yes I will be buying an Xbox Series X after this announcement :) Sony has been pulling so much BS in the last few years I am just getting tired of it. So yeah as soon as i have saved enough I will be buying an Xbox :) It will be good to revert back to my old gamer tag or make a new one I have not decided yet :D

43 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Right now Xbox is dominating and leading this generation ... More and more people are flocking to Xbox everyday. 

How do you support these claims? There's no evidence for it. MS has made some big moves lately and had been in the news a lot, but that's a far cry from domination.

Demand for the PS5 remains highest of all the current systems - this is supported by sales data and scalping prices on eBay.

If any gaming company can make claims of leadership, it's Nintendo: despite two new systems in the market, their 4-year-old system continues to sell the most, and they truly dominate in Japan.

• Like 1

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/23/digital-playstation-3-purchases-may-only-live-as-long-as-your-pram-battery-without-sony-servers/#:~:text=Tindie-,Digital PlayStation 3 Purchases May Only Live As Long,PRAM Battery Without Sony Servers&text=Word of Sony shutting down,wildfire on the internet Monday.

If this article's speculation, (TL;DR is Digital games go poof as soon as the PS3 battery malfunctions) is correct, then it's Defcon5 for myself and everyone else who's been hoarding shit on the PS3, without ever going back to clean it up.

11 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

How do you support these claims? There's no evidence for it. MS has made some big moves lately and had been in the news a lot, but that's a far cry from domination.

Demand for the PS5 remains highest of all the current systems - this is supported by sales data and scalping prices on eBay.

If any gaming company can make claims of leadership, it's Nintendo: despite two new systems in the market, their 4-year-old system continues to sell the most, and they truly dominate in Japan.

Because of all the big moves they've been making. How pro consumer they are compared to Sony. There stance on backwards compatibility etc. Game Pass is far superior to PS Now. There's lots of things. 

2 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

How does it remove power from the customer if they offer a choice of subscribing to a service and playing various games via the service? You can also buy the games at any time just like you would on any other platform, except that you get a discount if you happen to be a GamePass subscriber. 

Many developers have told that being included in Xbox GamePass has increased their game sales both on Microsoft's and other platforms. I personally tried out a game on GamePass for PC on a whim, liked it and purchased 4 copies of it on other platforms. So I don't really follow you on how it's bad for the developers.

Sega themselves said they are really happy with Game Pass, there's a few developers that have said it. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Solercide said:

Just don't, most trophy hunters are Sony loyalists for the sake of trophies. 

To your question, yes I will be buying an Xbox Series X after this announcement :) Sony has been pulling so much BS in the last few years I am just getting tired of it. So yeah as soon as i have saved enough I will be buying an Xbox :) It will be good to revert back to my old gamer tag or make a new one I have not decided yet :D

It's fine if you want to buy an Xbox Series X, but to reiterate there has been no "announcement" made about the PlayStation Store on the ps3. Sony hasn't even commented on the matter and until they do it's just a rumour from an unnamed source. I wouldn't use this rumour solely as evidence for purchasing an Xbox Series X.

Edited by KON007
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zanyverse said:

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/23/digital-playstation-3-purchases-may-only-live-as-long-as-your-pram-battery-without-sony-servers/#:~:text=Tindie-,Digital PlayStation 3 Purchases May Only Live As Long,PRAM Battery Without Sony Servers&text=Word of Sony shutting down,wildfire on the internet Monday.

If this article's speculation, (TL;DR is Digital games go poof as soon as the PS3 battery malfunctions) is correct, then it's Defcon5 for myself and everyone else who's been hoarding shit on the PS3, without ever going back to clean it up.

Only if it cannot reconnect to PSN. Which is not part of this rumor. And the CMOS battery costs about $5 to replace. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zanyverse said:

Jesus Christ has anyone here ever replaced a CMOS battery on a computer motherboard?

Edited by Lance_87

3 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Jesus Christ has anyone here ever replaced a CMOS battery on a computer motherboard?

No not personally, the most technical thing I have ever done to my PS3 is remove the hard drive and that was nerve racking.

I wish I was tech savvy because my PS3  no longer reads disc's but I lack the both the tools and know how to replace the disc drive.

21 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Because of all the big moves they've been making. How pro consumer they are compared to Sony. There stance on backwards compatibility etc. Game Pass is far superior to PS Now. There's lots of things.

This doesn't answer my question. I acknowledged Microsoft's recent moves. You claimed MS was dominating and that people were flocking to Xbox without any evidence. I provided evidence that more people are playing and want to play on Sony's and Nintendo's platforms.

MS is making moves, but they're currently in third place. That's not domination.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

I've only ever needed to do it once, for a desktop PC. Out of all the computers and devices I've ever owned, I've only ever had a CMOS battery die on me once, even devices with CMOS batteries I've had around for 10-15+ years are still doing fine.

I'm not sure if it's the case with the PS3, but some devices charge the CMOS battery when powered on. It's usually when something has been sitting there unused for several years that CMOS batteries tend to die, at least from my own experience, and what I've heard from others. Just my own anecdotes of course, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Either way, CMOS batteries are super easy and cheap to replace, and if people are concerned about this being an issue when PSN inevitably gets taken offline for the PS3/Vita/etc., then I can only suggest replacing the batteries with brand new ones before whatever the cut off date would be for PSN going bye-bye (I'm sure Sony probably would announce that at least, even if it's on short notice). At least then you might get another 10 or so years out of it before that also dies, depending on the quality and use of the battery. But as previously discussed, homebrew can likely already circumvent this anyway if this scenario ever becomes reality.