Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

Is that necessarily true, though?

I mean, clearly, there isn't a monthly "store cost" from Sony, but it's hardly beyond the realm of possibility that part of the digital cost of games is returned to Sony for access to the store, and we pay that cost. I'll grant that closing store would also mean removing that cost for any (now non-existent) future purchases, but we certainly pay for access to the store; it's just a cost borne by some, but not all.

This is 100% true which is why Sony take 30% of a cut from every sale. 

My point being is that you're not getting charged from Sony if you dont use it. You'll only technically pay if you buy something from the store which is fair. To be honest who is paying full price for a digital game anyway when theres is a sale literally every month at least. The minority are using these stores on the PS3 and PSP (I'm speaking mostly for them, I dont support and never had supported them killing Vita) so it isnt cost beneficial for them to run this service when the foot traffic is so low. 

I highly believe that the PS3 and Vita store will be shut down in future but hopefully not as early as what's said in the report. I still have some PS3 and Vita games to play but honestly it's been a while that nothing has been on sale for these 2 forgotten consoles.

I wait for Nightcry, and Shakedown Hawaii on sale for Vita, and some games' dlcs on sale for PS3.

• Like 1

This is really worrying. I stopped playing my PS4 recently and have been going for only PS3 and Vita games because I've been worried about exactly this happening. But I still thought we had more time.

I wouldn't mind so much if the PS3 store was to go. It's older and most of the games in my backlog are on my harddrive or it won't cost me that much to buy the disc versions.

I am actually annoyed if the Vita store shuts down. There are so many games that are just too expensive to get physically now so I was planning on buying them digitally when I got to them. If the download list will still work, I'll probably have to buy them all now which isn't too bad but it'll suck to have to spend that much in one go. Also I'm worried about what if I find out about a game after the store shuts down. I think they should've at least let the Vita store live on a bit more

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ExSoldier-Marci- said:

You can still download anything you ever bought on the psp to this day even though the store is closed. Hopefully they will at least maintain that option going forward. 

Time to buy MGRising and Asuras Wrath DLC

If they do this for Vita, that would soften the blow for me. It would still suck because I'd have to buy everything I ever want for Vita over the next few months instead of buying them when I'm ready to play them. Also, not being able to buy games I might find out about after the shutdown would suck. But it's better than nothing 

6 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Considering Sony gave a years' notice about removing PS3 and Vita games from PS+ it would shock me if they made such a drastic move as this with much less notice.

They removed PS3 and Vita games from the official web store (yes, yes I know that there is still an unofficial not-properly-supported link you can use) with less than 2 weeks notice.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Silocia said:

Considering Sony have already molded the PS4 and PS5 store its more than likely every generation forward will be done the same. So no, it wont be completely useless.

Also no grim reminders, the store is closing but you will still be able to download your games and play them as normal.

Jesus what is wrong with people. Closing down a 15 year old FREE service and people get so uptight and start scaremongering. Why do "gamers" think they're entitled to everything, forever.

i dont think i am entitled to the store beeing open and i would still dislike alot if that happend
also to call an online store a "Free" service is not a good discription i think. i dont want the store running to be able to look at pictures i want it open to be open to pruchase DLC and games. at a non dicounted price btw because there are no more sales

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I'm twisting nothing. Frankly your point is non-sense.

The store is just a point of sale mechanism to support the transaction of purchasing digital games. The store isn't relevant. Losing access to the store isn't the issue.

The content is still being sold. So if I am paying for the content, I expect a reasonable period of time to access support for that product. The fact that I paid nothing for the use of the store doesn't mean I paid nothing for the content.

Removing access to the content, DLC for the content, support for the content - that is what I have issue with.

While I can understand the argument for sunsetting the PS3 store, since the last new PS3 game was almost 3 years ago, removing the Vita store when games are still coming out weekly is both illogical and unacceptable. Backlog aside, if a new product is coming out today on the Vita store, I would expect to have full access to that product for at 12 months. If you consider that entitlement, then I'm happy to be entitled. I don't think 4 mo notice is reasonable or acceptable to be shutting down access to a service that a company is still using to generate revenue.

I never mentioned the Vita, my point doesnt stand with the Vita because like the PS4/5 you're paying for those servers and store maintenance through PS+ subscription. Rage all you want about Vita I'll be standing by you.

The point I was making is people think they're entitled to the PS3 and PSP stores to be open forever. They're not entitled to that, I couldnt care less about the size of someones backlog. Its 2 generations down and has 2 console replacements unlike the Vita. Me, stating that it was free was because back then and still now those servers and the store were free (unless obviously you bought a game from the store) if the footfall now isnt enough to keep them making money clearly they're going to close it. Library games will still be accessible obviously and if they're not, I will come back in here and bash Sony but they 100% will be.

lets also be real, PS3 wasnt the same as the PS4 a digital only release for the PS3 was extremely rare. Games were physical based so again closing the store doesnt really affect anything, if you REALLY want that specific game, you can probably find a physical copy of it and away you go. So back to my original point, yes, people are being self entitled, thinking a company should have to fork out money so they can do things the way they want because they still have x things to do and if they're not allowed to do that its unfair.