Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

3 minutes ago, ImMagnetz said:

Listen, I contacted PlayStation Support to try and get some answers for us all and that's what he came back to me with. To me, someone who works for PlayStation wouldn't have confirmed something like that just for the hell of it. He would have given me some non-answer like that they're looking into it or something, like he did with the issue of downloading games/DLCs after store closure. I'm sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, it wasn't what I wanted to hear either, but if you're going to make me out to be a liar by saying that I faked the response, or try and come up with some bullshit about him "misunderstanding me", whatever, that's up to you, have fun with your denial. I'll be looking for an official announcement from PlayStation as well but the response I got from the Support worker definitely seems to confirm that the stores will be closing. I have given you that information. What you do with it is up to you. Sheesh.

Seen the screenshot, saw your comments. I am sceptical about if the screenshot is real - that “official” response looks bad. And Playstation customer service, they are also just ordinary people trying to do their job and don’t always succeed doing things correctly. It’s hard to believe this screenshot because of the so many spelling mistakes and overall it doesn’t really look professional...?

Anyways, still hoping this is not true. If it is true then disc versions should skyrocket in time especially PS Vita games.

2 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

As someone who has worked frontline support for major companies like Apple, employees are generally advised not to speculate or discuss unconfirmed rumors with customers. Can't speak to personal experience with Sony but it always felt like support employees are the last to know about any major news so I would take that response with a huge grain of salt for now. 

With my own personal experience with customer support in general, it's not unusual for them to just give out straight up misinformation. Maybe I've just had poor experience with poor customer service reps, but I've had so many that seem to just be reading basic troubleshooting steps back to me that I keep telling them I've already tried multiple times, only for them to tell me to "try" again which of course doesn't work even if I do. I've had some that seem super confident that they seem to know what I'm talking about and treat me like a moron while constantly seeming to ignore what I'm actually asking, and plenty others that seem like literal bots (at last on live chat). I've literally had to hang up on some customer service reps before because they'll keep insisting I need "wifi boosters" or some BS when my internet currently isn't working, at all, no matter how many times I try to explain that to them (to give one example of many). It can be an absolute nightmare trying to get through to someone who actually seems to understand your enquiry and at least attempts to help resolve the issues instead of constantly misunderstanding and telling me I need to do stuff I know for a fact I don't.

Rarely ever had to contact Sony support but I can't say I've had amazing experiences with them either, just average at best. Had one rep ask me why the hell I was even still using a PS3, back when the PS4 was only 2-3 years old. Can't say it comes across as very professional injecting their own personal takes into what should be simple Q&A.

/rant

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't take what the customer service rep seriously at all, especially when others in this thread have already stated they've had basically the complete opposite response from customer support. They could have literally just Googled about the stores closing, seen all the articles, skimmed one and been like "yup, seems like they're closing". I know that's something they definitely shouldn't be doing but I wouldn't doubt if it's something that happens.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Wiuldn't focus too much about the language.

This is a low level job that requires no physical presence,  many companies just import someone from India for the low pay, and they fake  an english name to "ease" customers.

Could be right, but his name is Kevin unless he found this message in his spam seems fake as hell  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ImMagnetz said:

I'm sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, it wasn't what I wanted to hear either, but if you're going to make me out to be a liar by saying that I faked the response, or try and come up with some bullshit about him "misunderstanding me", whatever, that's up to you, have fun with your denial.

I don't believe that you intentionally fabricated a support screenshot. I believe it's genuinely the response you received and there's no foul play on your part. You were just sharing the response to help give some type of context for everyone still wondering what's going on.

What I don't believe is the content of the screenshot.

Will the stores at some point go through this exact scenario? - Oh, for sure.

Is it something I think is happening next month? - No way.

If it's fake, no harm at all. Just a silly rumor. If it turns out to be real, I'll be too busy imploding into a singularity to remember to come back and give you your due "You were right".

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong and this might have already been mentioned here already but doesn't the PS store of each Sony system run under the same infrastructure? We were even able to buy PS3, Vita, PSP and PS4 games all on the same site until recently with some games even supporting cross-buy. If this were true, wouldn't the operating costs of keeping the PS3 and Vita stores open be completely negligible? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir_TyroneOBE said:

Could be right, but his name is Kevin unless he found this message in his spam seems fake as hell  

Well, yes, hence me saying they fake an english name, like the very common Kevin.

No last name, no contact with the customer, that name is like a ghost, like me saying my name is Taylor  something right now, even though I live in Italy.

9 minutes ago, ImMagnetz said:

Listen, I contacted PlayStation Support to try and get some answers for us all and that's what he came back to me with. To me, someone who works for PlayStation wouldn't have confirmed something like that just for the hell of it. He would have given me some non-answer like that they're looking into it or something, like he did with the issue of downloading games/DLCs after store closure. I'm sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, it wasn't what I wanted to hear either, but if you're going to make me out to be a liar by saying that I faked the response, or try and come up with some bullshit about him "misunderstanding me", whatever, that's up to you, have fun with your denial. I'll be looking for an official announcement from PlayStation as well but the response I got from the Support worker definitely seems to confirm that the stores will be closing. I have given you that information. What you do with it is up to you. Sheesh.

I've had customer service reps tell me what were basically just lies before. I doubt it was often intentional, but either way, what they claimed ended up being incorrect. I had an issue with a website recently that I regularly pre-order games from, one of my games got cancelled the day before release because they had issues taking the payment, turns it out it happened to a lot of people. After I looked into it, it seemed to be because of an issue with them not using my pre-approved PayPal method, and that was the case for a lot of games I had pre-ordered with them. I contacted to ask them if other games were going to have the same issue due to this, they ensured me they wouldn't. Less then 48 hours later, all my pre-orders were cancelled due to the issues on their own end, despite their reassurance they wouldn't. So, yeah, can't always trust what information they give you, especially when things smell fishy to begin with.

I don't think you faked the response, I've seen reps with far worse spelling and grammar, it's actually pretty common in my experience. He could very well have misunderstood you though, I've had that happen too many times to count with customer support reps. His response doesn't really confirm anything, only an official statement directly from Sony would. If you think it leads more credence to the rumour, then you're free to believe, as are others free to disbelieve it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RetroQuester said:

Correct me if I'm wrong and this might have already been mentioned here already but doesn't the PS store of each Sony system run under the same infrastructure?

Yes

We were even able to buy PS3, Vita, PSP and PS4 games all on the same site until recently with some games even supporting cross-buy.

Also true and you can still access the "old store" even now

If this were true, wouldn't the operating costs of keeping the PS3 and Vita stores open be completely negligible?

This is absolutely correct. The cost for operating the store is less than a couple thousand a month, probably closer to the low end. There is no way the PS3/Vita stores aren't still profitable for Sony.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Well, yes, hence me saying they fake an english name, like the very common Kevin.

No last name, no contact with the customer, that name is like a ghost, like me saying my name is Taylor  something right now, even though I live in Italy.

I guess it could but...

Edited by Sir_TyroneOBE

A lot of you seem to not have had much experience with customer support workers and are looking way too much into the spelling mistakes and so on. For a lot of these support workers, English isn't their first language, and heck, even people with English as their first language can't type in proper English half the time. But to those of you who want to believe that I faked the response, fine. Fuck you, but fine. That's up to you. But I'm telling you I didn't. Whether it turns out to be true or not, I can't say, I can't see into the future, but I asked the dude if the rumours about the PS3 Store being closed down are true and that's what he told me. It's that simple. Make of it what you will. To those of you who are simply still skeptical and are waiting for an official announcement from Sony, I get that, I'll be doing the same, although I definitely think the dude's response adds at least some merit to the rumours, but if you're just gonna come in here like "lmao fake as fuck bro", you aren't worth my time. Also, "the fastest way to take a customisable screenshot", yeah, it allows you to add arrows and things over the top of the screenshot to point things out. It's hilarious that some of you think I'm so sad as to go into Photoshop or something and draw up a fake support response and have shitty spelling and whatnot in it. Jesus, smarten up, people. This is what I get for trying to do something nice for the community and go out of my way to try and get us some additional information.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sword said:

If Xbox stepped up their JRPG offerings massively I would probably swap back to Xbox. I don't really care much about any of the Sony "mainstream" exclusives besides Bloodborne. Disgaea, most of the Tales of series, Ys, etc. on the other hand... that's what sold the PS system for me and continues to fill up my backlog. 

There's been some JRPG additions lately on Xbox and if I recall correctly Microsoft has interest in beefing up their selection of Japanese games. Octopath Traveler is a recent addition to Game Pass, there's Disgaea 4 Complete+, various Final Fantasy titles, Dragon Quest XI S, Tales of VesperiaCode Vein, Yakuza 0 - 6Nier Automata... These are just a few I spotted in the Game Pass library and there are more available on Xbox. 

I'm mostly interested in Japanese games myself and came to the conclusion that PlayStation probably won't cater much to my niche going forward, considering most of the exclusives I had any interest in came from Japan Studio...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ImMagnetz said:

A lot of you seem to not have had much experience with customer support workers and are looking way too much into the spelling mistakes and so on. For a lot of these support workers, English isn't their first language, and heck, even people with English as their first language can't type in proper English half the time. But to those of you who want to believe that I faked the response, fine. Fuck you, but fine. That's up to you. But I'm telling you I didn't. Whether it turns out to be true or not, I can't say, I can't see into the future, but I asked the dude if the rumours about the PS3 Store being closed down are true and that's what he told me. It's that simple. Make of it what you will. To those of you who are simply still skeptical and are waiting for an official announcement from Sony, I get that, I'll be doing the same, although I definitely think the dude's response adds at least some merit to the rumours, but if you're just gonna come in here like "lmao fake as fuck bro", you aren't worth my time. Also, "the fastest way to take a customisable screenshot", yeah, it allows you to add arrows and things over the top of the screenshot to point things out. It's hilarious that some of you think I'm so sad as to go into Photoshop or something and draw up a fake support response and have shitty spelling and whatnot in it. Jesus, smarten up, people. This is what I get for trying to do something nice for the community and go out of my way to try and get us some additional information.

Hey man it's not that deep if its real its real and probably is, but you're not getting prosecuted for murder man I have my doubts but ill take your word for it.

Edited by Sir_TyroneOBE

1 hour ago, Starlighthed211 said:

"you will no longer be able to purchase digital copies of games or DLC for any of the Sony consoles mentioned above."

A straight copy-paste from TheGamer article as well. Now I'm 99% sure this is either a fake or "Kevin" saw the article as well and trolled you.

21 minutes ago, ImMagnetz said:

I'm not going to pile on to the 'you're making it up train here'. I believe Sony are contemplating this. I also think that they probably leaked this to see what type of reaction it would generate.

I trust the devs on twitter that have long supported Vita and are still working on new Vita games, that are saying they are reaching out to their Sony contacts and being told they have no idea about this, or 'Sony doesn't comment on rumors' - which means Sony isn't going on record.

I don't believe customer service would go on record if Sony as a company is saying 'no comment'

Hopefully the negative backlash gives Sony the answer - don't go down this route.

As for the screenshot, that is worse that the fake emails from Amazon and Netflix that my account has been hacked. I don't know where it came from, but I don't think that is actually a Sony Rep that has replied to you.

Their seam little confusion - that is not grammatically correct, and ESL would probably not use the less common form of their and seam. Last sentence is equally wrong with you instead of your, and looking into as matter of urgency which is also grammatically incorrect. We have commas instead of periods. Capitals are missing from sentence starts.

Frankly this is unacceptable as an official communication from a company. It better be fake

8 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I'm not going to pile on to the 'you're making it up train here'. I believe Sony are contemplating this. I also think that they probably leaked this to see what type of reaction it would generate.

I trust the devs on twitter that have long supported Vita and are still working on new Vita games, that are saying they are reaching out to their Sony contacts and being told they have no idea about this, or 'Sony doesn't comment on rumors' - which means Sony isn't going on record.

I don't believe customer service would go on record if Sony as a company is saying 'no comment'

Hopefully the negative backlash gives Sony the answer - don't go down this route.

As for the screenshot, that is worse that the fake emails from Amazon and Netflix that my account has been hacked. I don't know where it came from, but I don't think that is actually a Sony Rep that has replied to you.

Their seam little confusion - that is not grammatically correct, and ESL would probably not use the less common form of their and seam. Last sentence is equally wrong with you instead of your, and looking into as matter of urgency which is also grammatically incorrect. We have commas instead of periods. Capitals are missing from sentence starts.

Frankly this is unacceptable as an official communication from a company. It better be fake

I repeat... "A lot of you seem to not have had much experience with customer support workers and are looking way too much into the spelling mistakes and so on. For a lot of these support workers, English isn't their first language, and heck, even people with English as their first language can't type in proper English half the time."

It's definitely a real support worker. It came from [email protected]. I think your standards for spelling and grammar from support workers is a little high. Should it be better? Yes, absolutely, but this isn't uncommon at all, from any company really.

6 minutes ago, Sir_TyroneOBE said:

I was just telling you to calm down but good for you.

I'm plenty calm, Tyrone, I'm not really taking your responses seriously. ?

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 1

Why am I not surprised to see that someone here doesn't know better than to contact support regarding rumors?  I've worked customer support for years, support reps are the last people to know about things and very often don't even get official word about stuff before customers are asking about it.  I've lost count of the number of times I've learned about some new thing coming because a customer asked about it rather than finding out about it from official company communications.

I also have lost count of the number of times a support rep has given me outright incorrect information.  Definitely has happened multiple times with Sony support.  Had one rep tell me I needed my Vita repaired for an issue that was resolved by rebuilding the database.  Had another tell me that rebuilding the database on a Vita absolutely would resolve an issue with syncing trophies and not wipe out my local trophy data (which it does).  Most of them barely even know how to do their own jobs.  Their training consists of how to use their tools, how to find information they don't know, and basic customer service skills.  It's hilarious when people think they are so all knowing when many customers know more than they do because they actually use the product.

• Like 1