Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

2 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Guys I found a YouTube video about the dead CMOS battery thing. So it does indeed in fact mean that if ever Sony shut down online connectivity period, your games can't be played anymore even the ones you've purchased. It wouldn't work unless he connected to online. 

I believe that's an easy fix, you just have to open up your console and replace the battery, which is just a simple watch battery you can get for next to nothing in a supermarket. The Phillips CDI has a very similar problem but that one is a harder fix because the battery is buried inside a microchip on the motherboard so you have to physically cut the battery out to replace it.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

8 minutes ago, Varhur said:

So, does this rumor has some backing now or we're standing on nothing? Don't want to scroll through ~40 pages, thanks for understanding.

No, no trusted source has confirmed it and not a single word from Sony. Still rumor at this point, probably fake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Starlighthed211 said:

Sure but, if the PS3 cannot connect to the PSN servers anymore, how can the new battery be updated with the PSN time server?

If the CMOS battery dies today, no problem - just buy a replacement, sign in to PSN, done.

If your CMOS battery dies after Sony cuts off the PS3 from accessing their servers, you're screwed.

What the hell were Sony thinking with that kind of design?

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

1 minute ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

So I was looking for some PS3 games on the psn store yesterday using Chrome. 

It was showing the old format and then suddenly today.. it changed.. 

Yes, I even bought a few games via old store yesterday in the morning.
One guy asked me today to share the link to old store in discord, I opened it and... it's gone. Just redirects to new store now.
People in other thread are reporting that it went down yesterday in the evening.

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

What the hell were Sony thinking with that kind of design?

Well they're the same genius' who:

Tied a PSN profiles primary key to the username, making it nearly impossible to change without ramifications.

Made Vita has proprietary memory cards and then stopped producing them.

Made PS TV but locked out half the Vita games, making it even less worthwhile than an actual Vita

Made 3D chargeable glasses, but don't allow you to replace the batteries without destroying them

On and on. I love the PS brand, but Sony have always been the smartest idiots out there. 

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, charxsetsuna said:

Unfortunately not, it was in a trophy related video but they have done a lot of those.

OK I found the video and they say "I looked on my psnprofile about it" later they talk about how the website tracks how long it took for you to get the plat. so I'm not sure its a direct reference but it is a reference.

This is the link if your curious

Oh okay thanks.

Yeah I don't know. I think he could just be referring to his account on his PS4. He says PSN profile which could be the website or just his PSN account. Although he does make the typing motion and he says about the stats for it. I don't think there's as many stats on PSN as there are on PSNProfiles.

Edit: Never mind. I was typing as I was watching the video and he literally mentions the website itself soon after

Edited by HMS_Victor
Because

4 minutes ago, HMS_Victor said:

Oh okay thanks.

Yeah I don't know. I think he could just be referring to his account on his PS4. He says PSN profile which could be the website or just his PSN account. Although he does make the typing motion and he says about the stats for it. I don't think there's as many stats on PSN as there are on PSNProfiles

I'm not 100% sure on that either but I'm leaning towards him meaning this website because to my knowledge I don't think you can get exact times between first trophy and last on psn without working it out yourslef.

Edited by charxsetsuna

why do people keep saying a "server closure" is going to stop them from getting their games. if for any reason the store closed. you could still have the psn network. all sony does is connect to your internet. and as long as your connected to the network, you can download your games through your xmb without the store. you can still play ps2 games for christ sakes. you guys are overthinking this way to much. 

1 hour ago, melodicmizery said:

why do people keep saying a "server closure" is going to stop them from getting their games. if for any reason the store closed. you could still have the psn network. all sony does is connect to your internet. and as long as your connected to the network, you can download your games through your xmb without the store. you can still play ps2 games for christ sakes. you guys are overthinking this way to much. 

Because you need to have your internal clock synced with Sony's servers in order to verify the licenses for those games. Just being connected to the internet isn't going to do anything. Obviously the stores closing down = / = PSN as a whole being shut off on PS3. It's a reasonable concern though, you can call it "overthinking" but it's something that's going to need to be addressed eventually for those that still want access to their digital PS3 purchases a decade or longer from now. It's unlikely that PSN will last forever on PS3, just as the storefronts won't (regardless of whether or not the current rumour ends up being true). But as someone else mentioned, Sony may be able to patch it out with a firmware update (if they care enough). Failing that, there's homebrew, so there would likely be ways to get around this if and when the time ever comes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janzor88 said:

Relax. If it ever came to the point where they would shut down the store completely on PS3, a firmware update could easily remove the clock synchronization requirement to get access to your purchased games.

No need to speculate into worst case scenarios constantly.

Oh I wasn't going all doom and gloom. I was just pointing out that people keep acting as if the cmos battery thing is unique when it's not. My point was in the end, the servers are what matter and now how your system went.

I'm with you, I don't believe they will get rid of them any time soon.

Edited by GeminiEntity
  • Like 2

What really turn my nerves on are the spread of this news around the media, where they actually placed a date and hour, yes... Date and hour to this event. From an obscure page that Google recommended in my thread (yeah, we know the algorithm) says when this gonna happen. Don't want to say that, but c'mon, I mean, everywhere they are treating this as "official", but there's no source, no confirmation, nothing!

Plus the fact that I consider myself more like a retro gamer because screw Sony, they aren't going to dictate what to play and more importantly, when. I'm planning to purchase a PS3 for the sake to play old games and fuse them in my account, and really want to try those as my love for franchises grew more than I evidently, played more. But no, they just want to sell whatever they like and if you don't align with their schedule, you can go to fuck yourself and loss the "hype train", one that apparently they designed awfully since the beginning. 

Yeah, the demise of the stores is something unavoidable, but seeing how MS dealt with it and the retro compatibility that speaks to me more than what Sony can do. I'm a newcomer, but now I feel this like a kick in the teeth as they honestly don't care and just like to make changes when they start to feel the heat in between; moreover, they want to be an American re-branded company, and they started terrible for this too. And speaking of which, the servers' status of many games (I just care for a few, and hopefully, I can finish them before the kaput happens) are running "ok" but the future is of course predictable in this matters; just looking to what's happening to Halo we can imply what we can get from other developers. 

Edited by Xenoblast91
  • Like 2