WaddysWDS

Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

2,376 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Starlighthed211 said:

Sure but, if the PS3 cannot connect to the PSN servers anymore, how can the new battery be updated with the PSN time server?

If the CMOS battery dies today, no problem - just buy a replacement, sign in to PSN, done.

If your CMOS battery dies after Sony cuts off the PS3 from accessing their servers, you're screwed.

So it's exactly like your system biting the dust. You need the servers to get your games back. 

why do people keep saying a "server closure" is going to stop them from getting their games. if for any reason the store closed. you could still have the psn network. all sony does is connect to your internet. and as long as your connected to the network, you can download your games through your xmb without the store. you can still play ps2 games for christ sakes. you guys are overthinking this way to much. 

1 hour ago, melodicmizery said:

why do people keep saying a "server closure" is going to stop them from getting their games. if for any reason the store closed. you could still have the psn network. all sony does is connect to your internet. and as long as your connected to the network, you can download your games through your xmb without the store. you can still play ps2 games for christ sakes. you guys are overthinking this way to much. 

Because you need to have your internal clock synced with Sony's servers in order to verify the licenses for those games. Just being connected to the internet isn't going to do anything. Obviously the stores closing down = / = PSN as a whole being shut off on PS3. It's a reasonable concern though, you can call it "overthinking" but it's something that's going to need to be addressed eventually for those that still want access to their digital PS3 purchases a decade or longer from now. It's unlikely that PSN will last forever on PS3, just as the storefronts won't (regardless of whether or not the current rumour ends up being true). But as someone else mentioned, Sony may be able to patch it out with a firmware update (if they care enough). Failing that, there's homebrew, so there would likely be ways to get around this if and when the time ever comes.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, janzor88 said:

Relax. If it ever came to the point where they would shut down the store completely on PS3, a firmware update could easily remove the clock synchronization requirement to get access to your purchased games.

No need to speculate into worst case scenarios constantly.

Oh I wasn't going all doom and gloom. I was just pointing out that people keep acting as if the cmos battery thing is unique when it's not. My point was in the end, the servers are what matter and now how your system went.

I'm with you, I don't believe they will get rid of them any time soon.

Edited by GeminiEntity

So is panic buy ps3/vita games worth it??

All are full price and expensive, but I afraid it will close down suddenly without notice.

Posted (edited)

What really turn my nerves on are the spread of this news around the media, where they actually placed a date and hour, yes... Date and hour to this event. From an obscure page that Google recommended in my thread (yeah, we know the algorithm) says when this gonna happen. Don't want to say that, but c'mon, I mean, everywhere they are treating this as "official", but there's no source, no confirmation, nothing!

Plus the fact that I consider myself more like a retro gamer because screw Sony, they aren't going to dictate what to play and more importantly, when. I'm planning to purchase a PS3 for the sake to play old games and fuse them in my account, and really want to try those as my love for franchises grew more than I evidently, played more. But no, they just want to sell whatever they like and if you don't align with their schedule, you can go to fuck yourself and loss the "hype train", one that apparently they designed awfully since the beginning. 

Yeah, the demise of the stores is something unavoidable, but seeing how MS dealt with it and the retro compatibility that speaks to me more than what Sony can do. I'm a newcomer, but now I feel this like a kick in the teeth as they honestly don't care and just like to make changes when they start to feel the heat in between; moreover, they want to be an American re-branded company, and they started terrible for this too. And speaking of which, the servers' status of many games (I just care for a few, and hopefully, I can finish them before the kaput happens) are running "ok" but the future is of course predictable in this matters; just looking to what's happening to Halo we can imply what we can get from other developers. 

Edited by Xenoblast91

It's very bad, i don't like what they do. It's really annoying me. Why they shutdown website ?? we still purchase games on Ps3 and Psvita. I wanna really buy a lot of dlcs. Really we wanna make mention of them on twitter at @Playstation & @AskPlaystation & @AskPS_UK Ask them to stop shutdown any of these things.

Good thing this heated discussion has died down. We have exactly one TheGamer news piece that didn't state their source, rumoring Sony will announce shutting down PSN Store by the end of the month. How to find out if the rumor is true? Wait until end of the month.

Every other news piece directly quotes TheGamer as their source (who, once again, didn't state *their* source).

All the other conspiracy theories about zomg PSN shutdown and the like are null and void, with absolutely no one but gamers ever touching the topic. Account authentication and server access aren't related to a storefront website, which may or may not exist.

32 minutes ago, ars said:

Good thing this heated discussion has died down. We have exactly one TheGamer news piece that didn't state their source, rumoring Sony will announce shutting down PSN Store by the end of the month. How to find out if the rumor is true? Wait until end of the month.

Every other news piece directly quotes TheGamer as their source (who, once again, didn't state *their* source).

All the other conspiracy theories about zomg PSN shutdown and the like are null and void, with absolutely no one but gamers ever touching the topic. Account authentication and server access aren't related to a storefront website, which may or may not exist.

They shutdown old store link for Ps3 and Psvita. It's very upset. We're trophy hunters love and like collect any good games on ps3 or psvita. I don't like really what happened. I hope we mention @Playstation on twitter. Maybe they listen to players. Please don't give up like that.

34 minutes ago, ars said:

Indeed. At this point the thread title should have "RUMOURED" and not "REAL???".

6 minutes ago, Tiricy said:

They shutdown old store link for Ps3 and Psvita. It's very upset. We're trophy hunters love and like collect any good games on ps3 or psvita. I don't like really what happened. I hope we mention @Playstation on twitter. Maybe they listen to players. Please don't give up like that.

Nothing to do with giving up, only reality 🙂 I'm not sure you fully comprehend what "legacy" means. It means the platform won't be supported anymore. Sony announced PS3 will be discontinued four (4) years ago. You are very lucky the only thing they've done until now are some modest website changes. Because that you talk about is a website. And this we talk about now is a website. Nothing more.

Rather than gripe over stupid things I'm much more interested about the legal factors on if and/or how long I have access to content I've bought for the legacy consoles. No official source, absolutely none has ever said anything regarding the matter.

3 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Nope, it was stated in license agreement you agreed to when creating your PSN account, read carefully next time. Each region has its own license agreement.

Thankfully the size of the gaming market is much larger than past industries where digital rights were terminated through license agreements (I’m referring to the dozens of music license services that existed and extinguished before iTunes started renting music). There would be some very interested lawyers looking into what digital rights mean now in the 2020’s compared to the 90s when a lot of these agreements were conceived. 

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Thankfully the size of the gaming market is much larger than past industries where digital rights were terminated through license agreements (I’m referring to the dozens of music license services that existed and extinguished before iTunes started renting music). There would be some very interested lawyers looking into what digital rights mean now in the 2020’s compared to the 90s when a lot of these agreements were conceived. 

The problem here is that all agreements now usually have loophole, a section saying that company can update terms and if you don't agree with them you stop using service and company doesn't have any liability. So technically even if terms look good you don't agree to anything cause it can be changed anytime.

4 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

Yeah, I expect nothing less than a legal shitstorm if it comes to locked content, especially with the EU consumer protection laws.

Yep, I think that if things get really nasty such things will be regulated. But again, depends on country and local laws.

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Nope, it was stated in license agreement you agreed to when creating your PSN account, read carefully next time. Each region has its own license agreement.

There's a bunch of factors related including contracts being void if the terms are worse than what is guaranteed in EU legislation, strong consumer protection and the fact the old PSN Store product pages stated "buy this and keep it forever" in plain language. So it's not as clear cut as you make it seem.

I'm going to ignore the rest of the trolls, I'm sure you can be less condescending and toxic if you try really hard. My posts are about the factual side of things, not about biggotry.

Edit: I'm only able to speak about the EU side of things. NA legislation gives way more wiggle room for corporations.

Edited by ars

26 minutes ago, ars said:

PSN Store product pages stated "buy this and keep it forever" in plain language

UK license agreement I've read sounded like that back in the days too but very vague, I interpreted it as "purchased digital content is yours forever". NA terms indeed sound more like "we can terminate anything anytime without notice". Anyway personally I don't want Sony to explain me how they interpret it, I'd rather prefer to interpret them myself in court.

35 minutes ago, ars said:

I'm going to ignore the rest of the trolls

You sounded like one when saying that PS3 and Vita games removal is

2 hours ago, ars said:

modest website changes

I am starting to get more and more doubtful of this, but i did pick up all of the persona games JUST to be safe.

56 minutes ago, AwkwardFantasy said:

I am starting to get more and more doubtful of this, but i did pick up all of the persona games JUST to be safe.

Some Persona games on ps3 is psn only?