Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

I mean, I can't say I'm overly surprised. Sony stopped caring about anything older than PS4 several years ago. They never do sales on PS3 games anymore, they stopped offering PS3 games as monthly Plus games, and when I go onto the Store on PS3, FIFA 19 is on the front page, which came out at the end of 2018. They clearly haven't really looked near it in years. So it's unsurprising that they just want to be rid of it now. I'm just glad we can still access our previously-bought content. It'd suck if they ever did away with that. Wouldn't even be so much of a problem for me on PS3 as I don't own that much digital content on PS3 but, if they ever made it so, years from now, we couldn't access our digital PS4 games, I'd be screwed. I've bought thousands of pounds worth of digital PS4 content.

Hopefully I'm only "missing" Visual Novels on Vita, and I can live easily without those (specially when they are priced at 40€ each..).

Still, I need to double check Syberia 2 and Drakenguard 3 DLC on my US account... And do a final run through the Vita store, since there were quite a few JRPGs that I wanted and didn't bough on Vita yet (although I end up buying a few on PS4 already, like Ys VIII, because of the lack of sales...)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I can't believe it!

Finally i got an email from Sony that isn't ''Thank You For Your Purchase"

You lucky SOB... I haven't received this email and am still stuck in "Thank You For Your Purchase" territory.

Question for those who received the email: have you made recent PS3/PSV purchases on those stores? I don't own a Vita and haven't made a PS3 purchase in about 30 months, so I wonder if recent buyers are getting the email first.

I'm probably giving Sony too much credit and it's just random who gets the email first.

From what I can tell, you'll still be able to be online on PS3 and play online games, with the servers for games being handled by the companies who made the games, and trophies will still sync. It's literally just related to purchasing content. You won't be able to buy content in any way, be that games/DLC through the store or in-game microtransaction purchases.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sepheroithisgod said:

If this news had come alongside an announcement for PS3, PS2, and PS1 emulation on the PS5...it would make sense. However, without that, this is just a shitty move. I'd love to know what the careful consideration was.

I feel like they easily could have made a Vita emulator for the ps5 and bam, instant acces to Vita(tv), PSP and PS1 games. But no, nobody wants backwards compat anyway amirite 

6 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

They are just shifting towards their new audience, like dudes here that were defending Sony in this thread without even having a single PS3/Vita trophy cause they don't give a shit, mommy bought only PS4/PS5 for them.

Their new audience will be happy now, you and other loyal players who supported this company throughout their history until they got destroyed by Californian assholes in 2016 are not their audience anymore. It happens, but history is always changing, empires are falling... Damn I'm starting to sound too dramatic. Just choose what is best for you and play games for fun, cheers

Their new audience isn't even going to bat an eyelid. Oh, they're shutting down the stores for some "ancient" consoles they don't own and don't care about? I'm sure they'll just see the email and be "well that sucks, doesn't apply to me though", and delete it without reading much further. The thing is, they might not care now, but there's a chance they'll be in our situation a decade and a half from now and getting just us pissed as we are, if they still care about the "ancient" PS4/PS5 at that point.

Even if the PS3/PSP/Vita stores closing isn't something that affects someone personally, it's undeniable that some games will be getting removed from being able to purchase and "own" legally very soon. They might not care, they might not have any of those consoles, but it's very much a slap in the face reminder that digital is not forever. You can still buy a physical NES game from 30+ years ago nowadays, but you won't be able to buy a 10-15 year old (even less than a year or so old for some digital Vita only games) game ever again soon, unless it ever gets re-released for newer platforms.

I don't see myself getting too invested in PS5 after this news. Still going to get one eventually, for exclusives, but I just feel so worn out from all of Sony's BS in the past few years that I don't know if I want to continue using their consoles as my primary gaming platform for multi-plat titles. Might honestly end up going with Xbox or PC sometime in the near future for most of my game purchases. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

No wait, seriously? That's not supposed to exist. There's something wrong with your list. I've 300+ owned games, the only DLC that you own and that you don't have to download are the licensed tied to your account under Services List.

However, i know of ONE DLC that you're forced to downlod from the PS4 Store, for a PS4 game. Benjamin's Flight for Thomas Was Alone. Also the Media Player app, if you try to get it from your library, it redirects you to the Store app for whatever reason.

I'm also still wondering why they disabled anything that's not a game or a demo from the new webstore Download List.

Nope, not an error on my end. There is a thread on the PS3 forum where others have reported and 2 people on my friends list have checked and confirmed the same issue for that DLC.

I'm not saying it's common, I have 2000 odd items in my PS3 download list, but there are definitely some broken games and DLC packs that are going to come up.

1 minute ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Question for those who received the email: have you made recent PS3/PSV purchases on those stores? I don't own a Vita and haven't made a PS3 purchase in about 30 months, so I wonder if recent buyers are getting the email first.

I got the email. I believe the last time I bought something from the PS3 store was the DLCs for Dragon Age 2 back in December.

2 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

You lucky SOB... I haven't received this email and am still stuck in "Thank You For Your Purchase" territory.

I'm probably giving Sony too much credit and it's just random who gets the email first.

I bought a vita game 3 months ago, although i believe it's totally random who gets the email

1 minute ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

The thing is, they might not care now, but there's a chance they'll be in our situation a decade and a half from now and getting just us pissed as we are, if they still care about the "ancient" PS4/PS5 at that point.

Haha, that's exactly what I tried to point them out. Well, some people prefer to learn on their own mistakes

• Like 1

Copying my post from shutdowns thread.

Am i right here?

‐--------

Following up on a part of stores closure email

Apparently Vita messaging app will be disabled on 28th June 2021.

Doesnt it mean all the coop based games without official matchmaking will get unobtainable trophies at that moment?

All invites are message app based so my conclusion is we are screwed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

The least they could do is put out a big yellow wave of discounts on everything on the shop now.
This is such Bullshit man..

If everyone who already said here that they want a last big sale on the store starts to contact Sony about this, or organize themselves and make Sony know, this could be a possibility.

But I doubt that Sony would listen. If Sony cared about us, this thread wouldn't even exist.

Edited by KenpachiDaniel
  • Like 1

I am honestly not happy about this at all, will do a few ps3 games and I will call quits and throw my console in the trash can, I was about to buy ps5 digital but hell no after this

Edited by Atoya

Just now, FireThunder95 said:

If I get a physical game, which needs a patch/update to work properly, (for example Little Big Planet 3), I won't be able to get it?

Why wouldn't you? All this announcement says is you won't be able to go on the store and make a new purchase (aka a new license for digital content). 

• Like 1