Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

I'm seriously wondering why they didn't announce the closure of the PS3/PSP/Vita stores when they announced you wouldn't be able to buy content for those systems any more on their new webstore when they announced. Makes me wonder just how long they've been thinking about closing down these storefronts, is it a recent decision? I know we'll likely never know but Sony's decisions recently have honestly baffled me to no end.

@ImMagnetz Yeah, it's really poor timing. To suddenly announce the closure of these storefronts happening within just a few months during a global pandemic is really poor taste on Sony's part, especially since a lot of these games are still full price. I see no reason why they can't shut down the stores a year from now, dunno why they seem so eager to put them in the grave ASAP.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, GregHouse007 said:

lol everyone gave this site so much shit in the firsts posts. Shady website. Copypaste of IGN in all their posts. It's fake. blablabla. 

Sony has no mercy. If they are killing PS3 as soon as PS5 launched, then they will kill PS4 as soon as PS6 launches. 

Wouldn't surprise me. Yeah, when I posted a screenshot of an email I received from PlayStation Support that appeared to allude to the rumours being true about store closures, my notifications started blowing up with people accusing me of faking the screenshot and whatnot. They must feel pretty stupid now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bilal_Ibrahim said:

Im honestly thinking about to change to steam/pc

This. The same thought has crossed my mind as well. I think in the future with the way games are going, I might swap fully over to PC whilst having PlayStation solely for exclusives like TLOU

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ImMagnetz said:

"You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close." I assume "game" extends to DLCs.

It depends. If you have purchased a season pass, despite having spent your money, you don’t actually own the dlc until you download it from the store. 

I also would like to know how to download games on Vita, since the download list is in the store itself on Vita.

This is really horrible news, I have seen this rumor going around for a while but to now have it as confirmed is truly sad.

I knew a situation like this was bound to happen but as of late with Sony, they have been making some strange decisions that it adds salt to the wounds, the only great thing I hope can come out of this a massive sale for all PS3 and Vita content but that's just me being hopeful. ?

I'd migrate to PC gaming fully if I didn't hate Steam with a passion. (DRM, love censorship as much as Sony does therefore won't use them.)

I did (re)buy a few games on GOG, though. (Falcom stuff; Akiba's Trip)

Edited by Jigsy1
  • Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 2:01 PM, WaddysWDS said:

You will still be able to:

• Download previously purchased items
  • Earn and sync trophies
  • Upload and download cloud saves

oh would you look at that. After all the hate and people crying at me, It would appear I was correct.

2 minutes ago, Djeheuty said:

I also would like to know how to download games on Vita, since the download list is in the store itself on Vita.

Could be they’re planning a firmware update? Either that or they keep the store app running, but the only bit of it which works is the Download List menu

9 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

on pc you can disable your old console. if it says you hit the console limit.

or you can buy a used blu ray off ebay and swap it. theres a few tutorials how to do it on youtube its fairly simple just be carefull you dont break the little side wire and when you lift the dvd player there is a ribbon under it.

I was able to go back into my old PS3 and disable it no problem. The PS3 itself still works fine, I could still access the main PS3 menu. It just had a very hard time reading game discs.

4 minutes ago, Djeheuty said:

It depends. If you have purchased a season pass, despite having spent your money, you don’t actually own the dlc until you download it from the store. 

Hmm, good point, this is true. And I'm not sure about Vita as I don't own one but I see a lot of people in here who share your concern.

58 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

And, no one has yet answered - where is the download list on a Vita? Oh, right - in the fucking store.

The cheapest and easiest way to shut down the store on Vita is to return error when user tries to put something into their basket/pay for something. I don't think the store app will disappear from the Vita.

1 minute ago, ImMagnetz said:

I was able to go back into my old PS3 and disable it no problem. The PS3 itself still works fine, I could still access the main PS3 menu. It just had a very hard time reading game discs.

Hmm, good point, this is true. And I'm not sure about Vita as I don't own one but I see a lot of people in here who share your concern.

sounds like it needs a new laser

@HusKyThat's pretty much what the PSP does when you try to enter the store

Edited by SnowxSakura

I've noticed lately, and maybe it's just me or something I'm doing wrong, but both my PS3's, when you go on the store, games don't have that download option, or even a buy one.  I'm hoping it's like that.  Not that it would help but the less they mess with the infrastructure, the less likely it is they botch something mess up the ability to download you're old stuff.  

1 minute ago, willythom88 said:

I've noticed lately, and maybe it's just me or something I'm doing wrong, but both my PS3's, when you go on the store, games don't have that download option, or even a buy one.  I'm hoping it's like that.  Not that it would help but the less they mess with the infrastructure, the less likely it is they botch something mess up the ability to download you're old stuff.  

Go to account management > transaction history > download list

it's easier to download through that than to go to the store

2 minutes ago, HusKy said:

The cheapest and easiest way to shut down the store on Vita is to return error when user tries to put something into their basket/pay for something. I don't think the store app will disappear from the Vita.

I think the PSP does this, so that's most likely what would happen.

There are still some lingering questions that I doubt we're going to have answered until the stores shut down though: What about content that you own/bought, but can't find in your download list? How exactly will we be able to re-download content on Vita (I imagine it will be as it is on PSP, but who knows)? Will we still be able to use the PSN store to search for content we own, or content in general, just not be able to buy it?

Time will tell, but there's a whole can of worms this has opened up which rightfully has people concerned, myself included. I have everything I still plan to play plus games important to me already downloaded on PS3 and Vita, but I do worry if I'll be able to re-download everything if I ever need to for whatever reason.