Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

I have no problem with servers closing, I have a problem with multiple games a lot of them GOTY worthy stuck on the platform forgotten never to be experienced again by newer players.

Resistance trilogy

Killzone trilogy

Infamous 1 and 2

Rachet and clank future quadrilogy

Metal gear solid legacy collection

Just to name a few.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Just really hope they don't give another short notice announcement and we're all rushing to finish what remains of our trophy backlogs on just 3 months notice or something, whenever the time comes. Hopefully trophy syncing just won't ever go away until they shut down online functionality for those consoles indefinitely (which hopefully won't be for a very long time, considering we still need that to be able to re-download our content and all).

It would be unbelievably shitty to force people to go out and buy the things they want in a very limited time and then switch off the ability to download their purchases or sync trophies. Although I wouldn't put anything past Sony at this point.

Being forced to buy products from a company you are actively enraged by also seems to be some kind of abusive relationship/Stockholm Syndrome type thing too. ☺️ 

I think you raised the CMOS battery issue earlier on this thread, whereby if there is no link to the Store and the battery dies, then the console is effectively bricked. I really hope they are going to do something about that as a matter of urgency.

I don't get this 

"If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device."

I mean if it is in your download list, should you not still be able to download it. 

Mixed Messages...

1 minute ago, KIERONOO said:

I have no problem with servers closing, I have a problem with multiple games a lot of them GOTY worthy stuck on the platform forgotten never to be experienced again by newer players.

Resistance trilogy

Killzone trilogy

Infamous 1 and 2

Rachet and clank future quadrilogy

Metal gear solid legacy collection

Just to name a few.

The Infamous and Ratchet series are both on PS Now, so technically not lost

1 minute ago, baboon_overlord said:

whereby if there is no link to the Store and the battery dies

It's not the Store, it's if PSN itself goes away. Although as long as Sony can ping back a time, like it still does for PS4 and PS5, and still exists, this shouldn't ever be an issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kishnabe said:

I don't get this 

"If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device."

I mean if it is in your download list, should you not still be able to download it. 

Mixed Messages...

I think the idea is that it won’t be on your download list if you never went in and “bought” it on the other console? Depends on how the specific cross-buy title works, I guess

The logic that this means ps4/ps5 digital stuff is/will be worthless is a pretty flawed one.  Sony has finally standardized their architecture with x86 so any new consoles can actually play all these games.  The PS3 is a snowflake that is pointless to continue support for from a business perspective.

here's more listings of games that will go up in price or permanent removed if a trophy hunter:

lacrimosa of dana (vita)
caligula effect (vita)
stranger of sword city revisited (vita) permanently gone
atelier dusk saga (vita)
Steins gate 0 (vita)
eiyuu senki: The World Conquest (ps3)
valkyrie drive bhikkhuni (vita) massively increases in price

Edited by kingdrake2

23 minutes ago, x7251 said:

I'm definitely going to buy Medal of Honor: Frontline HD now, as it is digital only on PS3, and there is no disc on PS3. I played the game on PS2 when I was teen growing up and enjoyed it. Some DLC on PS3 games are going to be lost forever, if not available as a Complete/GOTY edition of a game. Someone should make a list of DLC that is not available via disc.

you could get frontline if you got medal of honor 2010 limited edition to get it kind of like how the rail shooter to dead space came with dead space 2

57 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

On topic now, this sucks and they should have given more of a heads-up, but again, unfortunately this was gonna happen sometime in the future, if not for now. Let's just hope that that emulation patent they filed comes to fruition, for which they have the tools to do so.

I don't know about you but personally I trust in Sony no matter what, I'm loyal to them and 100% sure they will implement this patent and make all PS3/Vita (and even PS1-PS2) games available on PS5 via PS Now.
Right after they're done with bananas:
https://www.businessinsider.com/sony-patents-new-system-converts-bananas-into-game-playstation-controllers-2021-3

4 minutes ago, Kishnabe said:

I don't get this 

"If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation2122.pngStore on the relevant device."

Mixed Messages...

Thanks for highlighting that, I missed it. That really doesn't make any sense at all.

What about games like Thomas Was Alone where you get the PS4/PS3/Vita version as a bundle?

This is a mess.

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It's not the Store, it's if PSN itself goes away. Although as long as Sony can ping back a time, like it still does for PS4 and PS5, and still exists, this shouldn't ever be an issue.

Until Sony in their infinite wisdom decides it's an issue.

7 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

It would be unbelievably shitty to force people to go out and buy the things they want in a very limited time and then switch off the ability to download their purchases or sync trophies. Although I wouldn't put anything past Sony at this point.

Being forced to buy products from a company you are actively enraged by also seems to be some kind of abusive relationship/Stockholm Syndrome type thing too. 263a.png 

I think you raised the CMOS battery issue earlier on this thread, whereby if there is no link to the Store and the battery dies, then the console is effectively bricked. I really hope they are going to do something about that as a matter of urgency.

My friend sony and other big name companies only care about money never about the people, just look at how sony was when ps3 first came out, 50gb of space and 500 to 600 for it and plus it over heats too much and there is barely any space

One thing that really bothers me is that not all regions have access to PS Now yet (my country is an example). I believe they should have expanded this service before shutting down the stores, so that we could have access to some old games from the PS3 era... but hey, are we really expecting executives to make decisions that are good for their costumers? lol

Edited by JPHolzer

4 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Being forced to buy products from a company you are actively enraged by also seems to be some kind of abusive relationship/Stockholm Syndrome type thing too. 263a.png 

Same, that's the thing that genuinely worries me at this point. It makes no sense from my point of view not to announce the closure of the PS3 and Vita storefronts back when they removed that content from their new webstore back in October. Either getting rid of the stores completely is a more recent decision, their management team behind this doesn't know what they're doing (probably the most likely), or they're trying to cash in on FOMO, which is really scummy during a pandemic.

I didn't raise the CMOS battery issue myself but did comment on it. I honestly doubt Sony really cares, it would be nice if they are working on it, but I think they're probably too busy focusing on PS5 (and PS4 to a lesser extent) right now. As @DaivRules said, it's an issue if PSN is effectively shut down all together on PS3, the store being shut down shouldn't be an issue. As aforementioned, there's hopefully ways to get around it via homebrew if it ever comes to that though. But another big concern would of course not even being able to re-download anything ever again. period. Games, DLC, even patches/updates for games. That's the next big concern for PS3 and Vita, it's going to happen eventually, I just hope it isn't for a very, very long time yet. Would be great to get some sort of reassurance of this from Sony themselves, that they have no plans to completely kill all online functionality for these consoles for several years, but that won't ever happen.

Also, it just occurred to me that there's PS Plus games I have on PS3 that I'm never going to be able to purchase and "own" indefinitely thanks to this. Guess it doesn't really matter now, and I'll still keep them as long as I'm a PS Plus member anyway, but I do wish there was an option to buy games you otherwise only have on PS Plus, as Microsoft allows you to do for games you only have via Gold on Xbox One/Series X.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Oh, and one more thing. The fact that Sony have only given us 5 months heads up when it comes to the closure of the Vita store is super shitty considering there are still Vita games in active development. Really fucks over Japanese devs and indie studios in particular, but I suppose that's just par for the course with Sony. 1f612.png Hell, Colin Moriarty only recently bought a Vita dev kit which is now completely useless.

Tweet link

Some of you guys must have actually been born yesterday.  The vita is a 10 year old console and Sony has shutdown production of carts well over a year ago.  You're actually trolling if you didn't think Vita is on deaths door and that trying to make a new game for it carried a ton of risk.

1 minute ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Same, that's the thing that genuinely worries me at this point. It makes no sense from my point of view not to announce the closure of the PS3 and Vita storefronts back when they removed that content from their new webstore back in October. Either getting rid of the stores completely is a more recent decision, their management team behind this doesn't know what they're doing (probably the most likely), or they're trying to cash in on FOMO, which is really scummy during a pandemic.

I didn't raise the CMOS battery issue myself but did comment on it. I honestly doubt Sony really cares, it would be nice if they are working on it, but I think they're probably too busy focusing on PS5 (and PS4 to a lesser extent) right now. As @DaivRules said, it's an issue if PSN is effectively shut down all together on PS3, the store being shut down shouldn't be an issue. As aforementioned, there's hopefully ways to get around it via homebrew if it ever comes to that though. But another big concern would of course not even being able to re-download anything ever again. period. Games, DLC, even patches/updates for games. That's the next big concern for PS3 and Vita, it's going to happen eventually, I just hope it isn't for a very, very long time yet. Would be great to get some sort of reassurance of this from Sony themselves, that they have no plans to completely kill all online functionality for these consoles for several years, but that won't ever happen.

Also, it just occurred to me that there's PS Plus games I have on PS3 that I'm never going to be able to purchase and "own" indefinitely thanks to this. Guess it doesn't really matter now, and I'll still keep them as long as I'm a PS Plus member anyway, but I do wish there was an option to buy games you otherwise only have on PS Plus, as Microsoft allows you to do for games you only have via Gold on Xbox One/Series X.

Are you sure you can keep your PS3 and Vita Plus games?

What if your subscription expires and you pay it again after some time, I guess the games might disappear forever from your download list (currently they get "repurchased" when you renew your subscription, but who knows what will happen now)

1 minute ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

I may love Sony systems and games, but I will criticize bad business decisions no matter the company is. I do not put my loyalty blindly towards a brand. And in this very situation, I’m pissed while not being that surprised, since it was a matter of time of this happening.

Why can’t Sony care about their legacy? And I don’t believe that they’ll implement full on retrocompatibility across all gens (except Vita) on the PS5.

Sorry I forgot to include my post in <sarcasm/ > tag