Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

Well, this sucks. Time to stock up on physical PS3 games and PS Now looks interesting now...

but they better make their PS Now server stronger because a lot more people will buy it now that this is going to happen.

Isn’t it true that the more people play a certain PS Now PS3 game, the worse the quality?

1 hour ago, kingdrake2 said:

here's more listings of games that will go up in price or permanent removed if a trophy hunter:

lacrimosa of dana (vita)
caligula effect (vita)
stranger of sword city revisited (vita) permanently gone
atelier dusk saga (vita)
Steins gate 0 (vita)
eiyuu senki: The World Conquest (ps3)
valkyrie drive bhikkhuni (vita) massively increases in price

Caligula effect and eiyu senki will be gone for good, as they didn't get physical releases outside of japan

5 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Isn’t it true that the more people play a certain PS Now PS3 game, the worse the quality?

Each PS3 game is given the equivalent of a custom hardware PS3 when a player is playing so there shouldn't be any impact if a lot of people play the same PS3 game. They're all running on their own hardware. I can't think of any reason for geological bottlenecks for PS3 titles either where they all have to be accessed from one datacenter that might cause any kind of quality impact. I think there's a 7 day Now trial for free for a $1 for the first month floating around out there to check it out and see how the quality is for you.

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Each PS3 game is given the equivalent of a custom hardware PS3 when a player is playing so there shouldn't be any impact if a lot of people play the same PS3 game. They're all running on their own hardware. I can't think of any reason for geological bottlenecks for PS3 titles either where they all have to be accessed from one datacenter that might cause any kind of quality impact. I think there's a 7 day Now trial for free for a $1 for the first month floating around out there to check it out and see how the quality is for you.

Yeah, PS Now does sound interesting now. When I got it for a month, a few years ago, my internet was horrible (20 download speed), now it’s steady around 100. I hope that’s more than enough to have good quality.

I fail to see the point in this. We can still download our games, so they aren't gone from the servers, so why won't they let us purchase new games? It's not like they even bother maintaining the stores, meaning they aren't reducing their workload either. Just why?

• Like 1

Just now, Isaac1364 said:

I fail to see the point in this. We can still download our games, so they aren't gone from the servers, so why won't they let us purchase new games? It's not like they even bother maintaining the stores, meaning they aren't reducing their workload either. Just why?

My guess would be licensing costs for all of the games on the store

3 minutes ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

Reasonable move by Sony. Good you can still redownload the old stuff. No reason to really be upset, if there are any games you want, there has only been like 7 to 12 years to buy them. 

Well, 7 years ago I was only 12-13. Got my PS3 last year to play games I missed out on, I have only just started. Luckily I buy physical PS3 games only but I’m afraid the prices will go up by a lot. That’s why PS Now sounds interesting now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Isaac1364 said:

Nope

The L is clearly a typo.

Not really, people want to pay them for older games and they say...... “nah”. 

it’s just shortsighted buffoonery. This sends a message to all, “We don’t care about our ecosystem. Do not invest in our ecosystem. We will fuck you in the ass if you invest in PlayStation.” No thank you. It’s like when they made PS Now only work on two fucking things, a PS4 or PC (which they don’t update much). Streaming only works when it’s easily accessible dumb dumbs. That’s why when people talk about game streaming nobody mentions Ps Now. Nobody factors it into the conversation despite being the first push of it. Just farting along. 

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

Reasonable move by Sony. Good you can still redownload the old stuff. No reason to really be upset, if there are any games you want, there has only been like 7 to 12 years to buy them. 

Maybe for PS3 games, but there have been quite a few Vita games released in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Yeah, PS Now does sound interesting now. When I got it for a month, a few years ago, my internet was horrible (20 download speed), now it’s steady around 100. I hope that’s more than enough to have good quality.

I recently used the PS Now 7-day trial to finish off Infamous 2 and Monkey Island. Couldn’t fault the stability of the connection during either game

If you’re not sure how your ISP will handle things, I definitely recommend giving the trial a go before throwing any money at it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, awf9495 said:

Maybe for PS3 games, but there have been quite a few Vita games released in the last couple of years.

There's been new games in the last couple months even. Even excluding crossbuy it's still getting new games, this decision is nothing short of retarded.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

Lol, not if you don’t want to pay full price for a lot of them with shifty publishers and the complete lack of motivation on Sony’s part to fix it or continue sales promotions for that content. I could buy entire series on Steam over decades of running for cheaper than some of the shit I was waiting for a sale on, but Sony already got rid of our wish lists on the webstore and ability to buy them there so into the ether they went never to be seen again. And soon they will simply cease existing all together. 

I can see why for the PS3 and PSP, it has been more than 15 years  the PS store is open, all things have come to an end and this is not an exception

The Vita is however just disappointing, after the first year Sony has ditched the handhelp completely and was left in hands to 3rd party publishers. Admittedly I was tempted to buy one this year, might be why I'm a bit sour about these news.

7 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

It’s a nightmare on Vita in particular since it takes awhile to load and you have to start over each time you download something. it also displays everything even things you can’t use on Vita... at least with the web store you could get a slightly less tedious way to go through the trash heap that is the download list. I guess rather than fix it they just make it so we don’t want to use it at all.

all the web store being fucked did was make me spend significantly less on PS Store and significantly more on PC (Steam). 

you want me to invest more into your service you don’t even support? Pass. Other than exclusives (which are shrinking up, and I’m not paying $10 more for any), I don’t even really care anymore. I’ll buy multiplats on PC instead. I like trophies still, but I can’t be bothered to support Sony’s horse shit. Game preservation is important to me and I like places like Steam and GOG which carry games from even as far back as the 90s. 

Yeah I was playing Warhammer: Rites of War for PC (1999) that I got last week from GOG actually :) I've spent a fair amount on PSN I guess but rarely pay full price and I tend to stick to one game at a time so most of what I've finished on PSN I'll never go back to anyway. Not super effected by the closure when all's said and done but still it sucks.

Only thing I was looking to get were a few PS3 DLCs that I refuse to pay full price for and Root Double for Vita which is pretty pricey. If I don't get either it's no big deal to me tbh.

Speaking of the PS3 store I actually went to check out the the PS1/2 offerings a couple days ago after discovering P3FES was on the store (never new) and I discovered that you can't even search for PS1/2 games on there anymore. There just isn't a section for them at all. You have to search specific game titles to actually find anything...

Honestly im more mad about vita losing messaging fearures because its way more useful to communicate when boosting games then ps3 or 4s ingame messaging ever was. I know smartphones exist but why couldn't they just limit it to just being on the vita itself like they did the ps3 a while back.