Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

This has made me super upset, i get that these consoles are old now, but the way that sony dismisses backwards compatibility based on one dude's opinion of the games 'looking ancient' is so stupid. I can't think of a single benefit this would give them tbh.

The least they could do is put retro games onto the ps4/ps5 store, start re-releasing remasters, put more retro games on PS now or SOMETHING.

It's so tone-deaf of sony to be proud of their new PS5 launch game ASTRO's Playroom which is honoring their history with tons of references to their retro games whilst doing this just a few months later.

• Like 4

So, we need to download at least one version of PS3/Vita cross-buy games. But if we already purchased them that doesn't make sense unless we won't be able to download any game at all.

What about PS4/Vita cross-buy games, will I be able to download the Vita version of a game if I purchase it after the store closure?

I have a spare memory card on order now so I can download all my PS Plus games and other purchases, with 10 Gigs left on my current card. Yes they say it will not be affected but for how long? The vita has been great to me and it will give me many more months of content as I move through my remaining titles. Maybe I will also do a big last buying spree to get some treasures before they disappear. 

Exactly what i knew it would be, store only. I really don't see why many are mad and getting mad at Sony. The games are the same price they have been for years and would've been that price for many more, so if you want them buy them. You can't want them that much if you don't already have them. 

We aren't losing any purchases, trophy sync, patches, online, cloud saves.

What makes me laugh is most people going mad hardly ever play PS3, and some haven't for years! Just moaning for the sake of it. 

Be happy we can still play online for free on a 15yr old console. The store is shutting down for a reason, because hardly anyone uses it! And for those saying why would i buy a digital PS5 now, well what difference does it make? You aren't loosing anything you buy, and we are in the digital era.

I love my PS3, best console ever imo, but its dead, I've been playing every day this month and I've seen nobody online.

I just really don't understand the complaining, if you want anything then buy it, its that simple. Can't expect Sony to keep the store open just incase you decide to buy that 1 game. All this fuss over nothing. I can play my games and sync my trophies, that's all i care about. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deceptrox said:

What about PS4/Vita cross-buy games, will I be able to download the Vita version of a game if I purchase it after the store closure?

The support page says you’ll be able to buy the PS4 version and then be able to access any PS3/Vita versions. Guess that means it’ll get added to your download lists on the older consoles?

1 minute ago, YonahFuriae said:
  • Will you still be able to sync trophies?
  • Will online servers still work? For instance PS3 Scott Pilgrim online was working all the time even after it got removed from the store, but not sure what will happen with servers after this.

1: Yes.

2: It depends very much on the game and if the devs decide it's worth their time to keep them going.

2 minutes ago, YonahFuriae said:
  • Will you still be able to sync trophies?
  • Will online servers still work? For instance PS3 Scott Pilgrim online was working all the time even after it got removed from the store, but not sure what will happen with servers after this.

There’s nothing in the announcement to suggest trophies or online servers are being killed off at this point

This would have to hurt digital-only console sales for Sony. I can't really see many people supporting digital-only consoles from this point on after hearing this news.. Granted there will be casual gamers that buy a digital-only PlayStation 5 that don't read gaming news sites so they will get some units sold but this will hurt them in the long run. 

Talk about losing consumer trust, if this was there plan they probably knew about this decision for a long time. Which makes you think why didn't they just come out and confirm this sooner. I think it would of been appropriate to at least give us more notice and time, July isn't too far off.

I would of personally gave 12 months minimum, so that people who haven't got the money for the couple months still have a good time window to purchase what they need.

Just my thoughts on the matter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

The support page says you’ll be able to buy the PS4 version and then be able to access any PS3/Vita versions. Guess that means it’ll get added to your download lists on the older consoles?

Supposedly you need to add the PSV/PS3 downloads to your download list before the store is closed for the cross-buy to work, after that you cant add them even if the game supports it.

6 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Exactly what i knew it would be, store only. I really don't see why many are mad and getting mad at Sony. The games are the same price they have been for years and would've been that price for many more, so if you want them buy them. You can't want them that much if you don't already have them. 

We aren't losing any purchases, trophy sync, patches, online, cloud saves.

What makes me laugh is most people going mad hardly ever play PS3, and some haven't for years! Just moaning for the sake of it. 

Be happy we can still play online for free on a 15yr old console. The store is shutting down for a reason, because hardly anyone uses it! And for those saying why would i buy a digital PS5 now, well what difference does it make? You aren't loosing anything you buy, and we are in the digital era.

I love my PS3, best console ever imo, but its dead, I've been playing every day this month and I've seen nobody online.

I just really don't understand the complaining, if you want anything then buy it, its that simple. Can't expect Sony to keep the store open just incase you decide to buy that 1 game. All this fuss over nothing. I can play my games and sync my trophies, that's all i care about. 

There are a lot things yet to be clarified, you are making a guess on several things they haven´t confirmed.

Edited by KingmathyGoodman

I expected this tbh. It just sucks it's happening so soon. There's not too much I want out of these stores, but there is some DLC I need to get for some of my games. You would think they'd do a farewell sale but I don't see that happening.  At least there's people preserving these games in other ways.

50 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

I'm pretty sure most games currently online will still be online after July 2nd. If you have Resident Evil 6 on your trophy list then go ahead and buy the DLC. That's what I did for the games I already have trophy pages for and have plans to complete the multiplayer required trophies as soon as possible. 

That said, assuming you care about your completion rates, I'd avoid adding more trophy pages with multiplayer trophies for now if you can help it because who knows what's going to happen after the store goes down. 

Yes, im obsessed with my 100% rate, thats why I need to know before I even start RE6. 

I have 100% rate, check it out. 

• Like 1

i did the math for the games i want. to get all the ones that are within reach and have a plat it would take about 531$ without sale (not including any games that will be permanently gone or price higher than 10$).

here's some more games that may go up in price or become permanently lost:

senran kagura estival versus (vita)
ar nosurge plus: Ode To an Unborn star (vita)
invizimals: The Resistance (vita)
mxgp the official motocross videogame (vita)
motogp 14 (vita)
invizimals: The Alliance (vita)
playstation vita pets (vita)
putty squad (vita)
wonderbook diggs nightcrawler (ps3)
wonderbook walking with Dinosaurs (ps3)
batman: Arkham origins blackgate (vita)
Killer Is Dead (ps3)
zone of the enders 1 HD edition (ps3)
counter-strike: Global Offensive (ps3)

Edited by kingdrake2

2 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Supposedly you need to add the PSV/PS3 downloads to your download list before the store is closed for the cross-buy to work, after that you cant add them even if the game supports it.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a weird one that PS3/Vita cross-plays apparently need to be in your download list BEFORE the shut down but PS4/PS3/Vita cross-plays don’t. Maybe newer cross-play titles work differently?

4 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Exactly what i knew it would be, store only. I really don't see why many are mad and getting mad at Sony. The games are the same price they have been for years and would've been that price for many more, so if you want them buy them. You can't want them that much if you don't already have them

Maybe because Sony stopped having sales for the platforms. And clearly didn’t communicate or care about addressing lack of price drops on old games on said platforms. They’re all things Sony can address by talking with their content partners instead of just shrug and focus on PS4 and now 5. 

my 200th plat was on PS3. Last time I played PS3 was April of last year a TMNT game. And wrapped up LBP Vita before the end of last year (at least plat wise). I’d play a hell of a lot more PS3 games if PS5 could play the damn things through b/c. 

and really free online when most games have been shut down? Lol. I still get free online on PC. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WILD DOG said:

I expected this tbh. It just sucks it's happening so soon. There's not too much I want out of these stores, but there is some DLC I need to get for some of my games. You would think they'd do a farewell sale but I don't see that happening.  At least there's people preserving these games in other ways.

A final 'closing down everything must go' style sale is all I want from this too but I agree that it probably won't happen. At the end of the day they'll probably make more money not doing it. Even just in this thread plenty of people have said they're gonna go and pick up a bunch of stuff before it's gone.

• Like 1

This has been happening gradually along the years and no one batted an eye, but yeah now it is on a bigger scale. Since a long time ago we have been hearing of delisting games, you can't found them on the store, you can't buy them but you can download them if you had it in your download list... So it will eventually happen to all your games, I would like to know how many games (%) were already delisted that people didnt even know...