Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

1 minute ago, OmegaRejectz said:

This might be a good place to ask, maybe not.

I'm a big fan of the Arkham series. I haven't touched any of them on PS3 (besides Origins. Because I played Asylum, City & Origins on 360).

The series has a Japanese trophy list for Arkham Asylum (PS3) for whatever reason.
If I wanted to play it and get the platinum on my North America PSN account, how'd I go about that? Is there physical Japanese versions? Is the game region locked? Can I just buy the Japanese version on the NA PS3 Store?

I'd love some help, if possible.

You wouldn't be able to buy a Japanese digital copy from the PSN store, no. 

There is a physical copy, and since PS3's are region free- you can play it on your NA PS3/acct no problem. 

Ninja'd while typing, lol

8 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Very upsetting news. So now I’ll be getting a bunch of PS3 and Vita titles. 

A list of what I want before the stores close: 

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance DLC. Already bought, physical copy will come in the mail tomorrow. 

- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West DLC. Bought the digital version of the game with the DLC. 

- Dante’s Inferno. DLC delisted. Only obtainable on the UK store. 

- Duke Nukem Forever. DLC I still need to purchase. Base game is very cheap nowadays and easily picked up. 

Jet Set Radio. The last of the SEGA Dreamcast era titles I don’t have. 

- Shatter. Still needs to be bought. Challenging but satisfying 100% PSN title on the PS3. 

Still, there are potentially several digital only games that could well be lost forever. 

It’s not just multiplayer games. Our single player games are slowly being taken away as well. 

Is there a list of all the Sega Dreamcast/virtual console games they put up on PSN for PS3 somewhere?

Just now, Floorkiller74 said:

How so? Movies that are region locked are not playable on my NA PS3 (At least none of the 7-8 that I have, maybe I'm just unlucky) but all games are playable- no matter the region. 

In all fairness there are ~3 games that are region locked, I'm pretty sure Persona 4 Arena is one of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ImMagnetz said:

Eh, I'm good. My new PS3 works fine and the old one is in a drawer. It's sorted. No use in talking about how to fix the old one now. No need.

It's basically unscrewing 16 screws (the laser deck falls out, put the new one in the same spot, the wire/cable is held in place by a plastic clip) then screw back in those 16 screws.  I just did this on my slim PS3 a couple months ago after waiting for like 3 years cause I felt the same way you did.  So I understand being intimidated by tech stuff, but replacing a laser deck is actually very easy on PS3.  Took no more than 10 mins.  I got the laser deck on Amazon for like $20, this is what it looks like *Link*.

I had a friend that went the same route you did - getting a used PS3 instead - and it died a little more than a month later.  Replacing the laser just seemed like the more reliable, long-term solution for me, but to each their own.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matto_lsi said:

It's basically unscrewing 16 screws (the laser deck falls out, put the new one in the same spot, the wire/cable is held in place by a plastic clip) then screw back in those 16 screws.  I just did this on my slim PS3 a couple months ago after waiting for like 3 years cause I felt the same way you did.  So I understand being intimidated by tech stuff, but replacing a laser deck is actually very easy on PS3.  Took no more than 10 mins.  I got the laser deck on Amazon for like $20, this is what it looks like *Link*.

I had a friend that went the same route you did - getting a used PS3 instead - and it died a little more than a month later.  Replacing the laser just seemed like the more reliable, long-term solution for me, but to each their own.

Thanks for the help but it's all good. I've already bought a new PS3 and I've had it for like 3-4 months now with no issues. Maybe if it ever dies I could look into repairing the old one but right now I'm all set.

4 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

How so? Movies that are region locked are not playable on my NA PS3 (At least none of the 7-8 that I have, maybe I'm just unlucky) but all games are playable- no matter the region. 

Oh... my bad. I read it wrong. I thought you meant DVDs/Blu-Rays weren't region locked but games were *facepalm*

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel about all of this tbh. It has definitely put a spanner in works for me that is for sure. This is why I will never go 100% digital. I think if Sony continue down this anti consumer path they seem to be speeding down just lately then I may consider building my own gaming PC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

I feel that mocking people for making assumptions on incomplete information is kind of a real jerk move.

In any case, I guess someone needs to start making a list of digital only/dlc that you can only get via the ps3 store.

Yes please. There’s quite an extensive list of games that will soon be lost. 

This is unacceptable behavior from Sony. Again, we can look back at the Wii store closing but I can’t recall such a drastic change, and the Wii U was backwards compatible. 

Jim Ryan’s attitude is really beginning to show, and maybe before long I’m going to consider going back to Steam and just sticking there. 

July and August is far too short of time and the way Sony America sees all of this is nothing short of selfish, arrogant and careless. 

Unbelievable.

• Like 3

Didn't wanna go too crazy with the PS3 digital purchases. Just bought the DLCs for the Mass Effect series and I think that should be all I really need. I can't think of anything else on the Store that I'd be pissed if I couldn't buy it anymore. There are some DLCs for games like Sleeping Dogs and Far Cry 4 for PS3 that I could buy solely for the sake of 100%'ing their trophy lists but I have the DLCs on their PS4 versions so to hell with it.