Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

3 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I am confused about the message saying that you need to download the other version if you got a game on Crossplay, does that mean if you bought a game on PS4 and you never ever attempted to download the Vita version, that the Vita version of the game is now gone forever?

I just wrote about this while you sent your message - see above. The wording they used is completely useless. I think that what I wrote is correct but am happy to stand corrected. 

2 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

I think I finally figured it out. For some reason, when I buy PS4-PS Vita cross-buy games, most of the time they are added to my Vita Download List automatically, and sometimes I have to find the game's sales page in the Store (the price will be "Free" and there will be a Download button next to the price) and download it from there, which then adds it to the Download List.

So for example, I bought Ys Origin on sale with the express intention of playing it on Vita. After buying it, I was pretty annoyed because it wasn't on my Vita list. Then I found the product in the Vita console Store and it allowed me to download it from there. Now it's in my Download List. 

I don't know why some games don't get added automatically and some do, but what I think this clumsily written sentence from Sony is trying to say is, if a game such as Ys Origin hasn't been downloaded, then it won't get added to your Download List automatically and you will lose access to it forever if you don't ensure it is on your Download List when the Stores close.

Hope that makes sense. If anyone could confirm this I'd appreciate it.

I get that "Free" button too, but it does that with non cross buy stuff too. Like I bought Octodad on Vita and whenever I try to download it, it's listed as a "Free" game instead of "Purchased", not sure if that is a bug or not.

Just now, yellowwindow7 said:

We Want You to Invest in the Crappy PS Now service that not too many people is giving a shit about, it's not even got all the games on the ps3, Play Has No Limit.... well Fuck You Sony! no it do have a limit, I gonna lose the ability to buy ps3 games, the ps4 store will be followed suit in the future and the ps5 digital edition is gonna be the laughing stock soon.

PSNow is the next trap. I mean, let's say indeed all PS3 games are on there, when PsNow goes down so will those games.

Look at Google Stadia, that is not taking off and those games will one day be forever gone.

Also there is no PSNow for Vita. Vita games all die.

• Like 1

I've been incrementally purchasing DLC for my PS3 and Vita games this whole past year since the first lockdown in the UK. (Fuck you Mass Effect 3 DLC price and COD DLC prices) So I am nearly done acquiring all the DLC I want and digital games.

I have wittled it down to just two remaining games for DLC I still want that I own

• Batman Arkham Origins
  • COD Advanced Warfare

As for games I am on the fence about and consequently their DLC

• Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Skate 3
  • Drakengard 3

7 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

Does anyone know for certain if this affects games already purchased?

I might be blind but I don’t see a download to ps3 option on mobile ( can’t check web store right now). And to my knowledge in order to download games in your library on ps3 you need to access the store. 

Under "account management" on PS3 you can find your download list. Chances are you might still be able to access the store after it gets shut down though, it'll just be empty. That's how the PSP and Wii stores look nowadays when you access them.

Just now, AJ_Radio said:

I think you and I have a lot in common. 

What upsets me the most is the fact that Sony is being far too drastic in this. A few short months is NOT enough time. I too, probably like yourself, have been greatly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2020 Elections with an absolute joke of a president plus the shutting down of the PS3/Vita library from the online store had me in a really bad mood. That’s all I’m going to say on politics in this thread.

You still cannot find a PS5 in many areas. Even today, I’ve looked online and it’s either too expensive, or I have to wait a long time. Most PS5 games have a PS4 version which aren’t too much worse in terms of graphics and framerate. So the only real benefit is AAA games. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is $50, every AAA release is now $10 more than what they were on the PS4. So what are we really getting? 

I can tell you @SuperSmexy500 that a number of PS3 games are still a lot of fun. I played Prince of Persia 2008, still had fun with myself. Super Stardust HD is still a blast. After the stores are gone, you will no longer be able to obtain all the trophies, since both have digital content. 

And I’m in the same boat, I feel many modern AAA games lack that certain appeal. Detroit: Become Human, while it’s a solid game, is a bit too leaning on realism and dramatics. Many AAA games to me don’t attract me a great deal. Older AA/AAA games on PS3/360 somehow give me a sense of joy. Newer games don’t give me the same feeling.

It’s been a hellish last 12 months. 

The stores shutting down in July/August is definitely not enough time at all. I still don't understand why they're so determined to kill them off so soon. Why didn't they announce the stores would be permanently closing when they released the new webstore? Why not give a year's notice of the closures? It makes zero sense to me but a lot of Sony's decisions lately baffle me.

I haven't seen PS5s in stock anywhere here since release. Mind you, I haven't really been checking, but people I know still trying to get a PS5 still haven't managed to get one. With so many games that are both on PS4 and PS5 having free upgrades to PS5 for the PS4 versions, while also often being cheaper, it seems pointless even getting the PS5 versions unless you want the data all on the disc (and it's not like every game these days even comes with that).

I still have a small PS3 backlog that I imagine will take me another 2 years or so to get through, just hope they don't kill trophy syncing before then. I still return to some old games now and then as well, because as you said, they're still fun.

I've still yet to really play any of the big releases of last year, TLOU2 (which I honestly have very little interest in), Ghost of Tsushima, FF7 Remake, Cyberpunk, etc. It's not like I don't have any interest in them at all, but when I read about what a disaster the state of Cyberpunk 2077 was at launch... I can't say I feel enticed to play it any time soon. Not to mention too many of these games feel like they rely too much on cinematics and graphics and not enough on gameplay. I do think this trend somewhat started later on in the PS3/360 era, but it's really taken off in more recent years.

I was hoping 2021 would be better but it's been a rough start to the year, both personally and just in terms of global events, and now Sony decides to drop this bomb on us and it hasn't helped with my slow but sure transformation into the grumpy adult I always dreaded I'd turn into as a kid.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I've been incrementally purchasing DLC for my PS3 and Vita games this whole past year since the first lockdown in the UK. (Fuck you Mass Effect 3 DLC price and COD DLC prices) So I am nearly done acquiring all the DLC I want and digital games.

I have wittled it down to just two remaining games for DLC I still want that I own

• Batman Arkham Origins
  • COD Advanced Warfare

As for games I am on the fence about and consequently their DLC

• Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Skate 3
  • Drakengard 3

I'd say go for drakengard if you intend to PLAT it but if you don't, it ain't worth its 25 for the whole prologue set. Sonic and what not I would just drop since they are readily available on other platforms.(also skate has a physical release)

Edited by Sir_TyroneOBE
  • Like 1

Ever since Jim Ryan became CEO, things have been pretty much depressing as a longtime fan, especially as things are getting worse and worse at a faster rate. Do you believe if things will ever turn around for PlayStation to win back their good name or is this the point where it's all too late?

• Like 1

This is the part that concerned me. Do I get to keep what I paid for. Answer : YES. (For now)

What about content you already own?
• You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
• You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.
• Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation™Video app.
• You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.

I am going to move to Stadia once I have completed any PS plus games I want to play. Shame, but this is another step towards the grave for consoles.

And do what you want with your money, but why anyone is spending a dime on PS3/VITA is beyond me. Protest with your wallet, do not endorse!

Edited by audiopile

Yes I agree. I have been severely neglecting my PS3 and Vita backlog. And of course why is that reason?

Wall to wall sales all year round for nearly 2 years now (which ramped up significantly when Covid kicked in)

With so many new games getting released I've been playing those especially since there have been no sales on PS3 and Vita for years.

So we have a few months to at the very least buy what we want, but whatever about PS3 and Vita games that require trophy boosting on an online server?

With this news surely even companies like Capcom or whoeever who have kept or example their RE5 servers going since 2008. Surely all those companies are gonna drop the Vita and PS3 servers now that the news is official.

Having money to buy all the games is one thing, having the time to play them all and finish them is another...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I get that "Free" button too, but it does that with non cross buy stuff too. Like I bought Octodad on Vita and whenever I try to download it, it's listed as a "Free" game instead of "Purchased", not sure if that is a bug or not.

Yes, you are right, I just checked. On some games it has the real price, and the Download button. On other it says "Free" and the Download button. If Sony had spent any time or resources on fixing the Vita Store then there would probably be some logic to it. ☺️

Not sure if you were giving Octodad as an example of "Free" or an example of non-cross-play, but if it's the latter then you have it for PS4 as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find I got the Vita version for free as I bought it as a PS4 game only. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

The stores shutting down in July/August is definitely not enough time at all. I still don't understand why they're so determined to kill them off so soon. Why didn't they announce the stores would be permanently closing when they released the new webstore? Why not give a year's notice of the closures? It makes zero sense to me but a lot of Sony's decisions lately baffle me.

Seems the PS3/Vita are a "burden" they don't want to deal with anymore

After some mulling over I've taken a look at my library and realized how much I've spent on playstation products overall. Especially my digital library. It really pains me how the new CEO just doesn't care about the legacy anymore. My backlog is huge and I want to finish it but also I've considered PC gaming multiple times by now. Not really sure anymore tbh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WILD DOG said:

After some mulling over I've taken a look at my library and realized how much I've spent on playstation products overall.

I have same thoughts sometimes, but then I release I did bought full-price games only 2 times (GTA V and RE2:Remake), all other stuff came from PS Store discounts and pre-owned ebay discs :D

I have about 50 games on PS3 and Vita that I prebought and have yet to play, and of course a further 50 or so more, 5-6 years of free stuff given away on PS+

Probably just gonna cut my losses on most of those since I never played them.

Especially since I have about 30 games on PS4 and VR that I prebought and have yet to play. In a way servers me right for always buying games on 50% or more off on sales.

Of the recent NINE games that were given away for free, 7 of them I did not own...

Edited by enaysoft

8 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Yes I agree. I have been severely neglecting my PS3 and Vita backlog. And of course why is that reason?

Wall to wall sales all year round for nearly 2 years now (which ramped up significantly when Covid kicked in)

With so many new games getting released I've been playing those especially since there have been no sales on PS3 and Vita for years.

It's almost like if they had continued supporting the legacy stores with sales and marketing, they might not need to shut them down now. ?

• Like 3