WaddysWDS

Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

2,375 posts in this topic

Just now, scemopagliaccioh said:

Honestly, I'm going to do that as well.

I'm not worried about the downloads  per se, though some people believe that they can steal your car if you  agree to their ToS (the fact that you're required to accept the ToS in order to play the same game you bought is already an headache in the court of law), I'm however, extremely worried about the online servers of the  ps3 games that are  left.

Well I hope this doesn’t make big companies like Ubisoft, EA, Activision and others start bailing out in succession. 

I’m part of a trophy boosting group on Discord, very active with people boosting the big AAA titles on the PS3 and PS4. I have Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Black Flag left for online boosting and then that’ll be it for PS3. 

For the Vita you still need to access your purchased content thru the PS Store, so how are we going to do that once the stores close.

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Honestly, I'm going to do that as well.

I'm not worried about the downloads  per se, though some people believe that they can steal your car if you  agree to their ToS (the fact that you're required to accept the ToS in order to play the same game you bought is already an headache in the court of law), I'm however, extremely worried about the online servers of the  ps3 games that are  left.

Ikr?

I have PS5 but use it entirely for PS4 games as it still doesn't have proper next gen games aside from DS remake.  I'll let my little siblings play around with it while I occupy myself with my PS3 and PSVita backlog for the upcoming months.  And yeah, I have the same fears regarding the online part of PS3/Vita games.

Edited by milanbarca82

25 minutes ago, Hwoarang_21 said:

Anyone know if after the shut down we will be able to unlock ps3 trophies and conect to the PSN "the profile part"???? 

That's the biggie. Along with online play on PS3 and Vita games. If you lose the ability to sync trophies. That would indeed be devastating for a lot of people.

Imagine being half way through a game and on something like 33% but then you can no longer delete it or be able to play it anymore and sync the game..

Today is my first day putting up with another bullshit lockdown in my city of residence. I wake up like any other quiet day at home, make myself breakfast then go straight to boot up my laptop. I’m then greeted by an official message confirming the Legacy PlayStation Store closure. Is this some kind of early April Fools joke... No? Well shit.

Can’t say I never expected this be announced so soon but a massive fucking loss to us regardless. Hope Sony is very happy with how ol’ Jimbo is running things since the company’s 2016 migration to California. Why must everything I love go to shit around the same time Donald Trump was elected US President?

By the way, is there a reason July and August were chosen as the dates/months to close the PS3 and Vita stores respectively? If Sony could give PS Plus heck, even DRIVECLUB a entire years notice before discontinuing a service/product then why not the same for blocking access to thousands of digital goods? Is March 31st 2022 just not good enough for you? How about December 31st 2021, is that still not good enough? Hello... anyone from Sony listening? Uhhh...

From here, I picture PS3 and Vita content becoming my number one priority for purchases over the next couple of months. Trophy syncing better not be taken away soon either otherwise I’m done with these consoles entirely. Removing support of old consoles is one thing, but in the age of the internet that’s just not very feasible. Already it’s not very difficult to compare PlayStation to Apple or some other big corporation that makes decisions based purely on making a big fat profit and creating consumer inconvenience which can also lead to more money.

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

That's the biggie. Along with online play on PS3 and Vita games. If you lose the ability to sync trophies. That would indeed be devastating for a lot of people.

Imagine being half way through a game and on something like 33% but then you can no longer delete it or be able to play it anymore and sync the game..

If that happens I will just quit trophy hunting entirely.

Most of my games are relatively short but a few like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sonic Unleashed will take a while. I really don’t want to miss out on those games. Especially Metal Gear, I think everyone should play those Hideo Kojima games as they are nothing short of excellence and top quality. 

Edited by AJ_Radio

7 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Well I hope this doesn’t make big companies like Ubisoft, EA, Activision and others start bailing out in succession. 

I’m part of a trophy boosting group on Discord, very active with people boosting the big AAA titles on the PS3 and PS4. I have Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Black Flag left for online boosting and then that’ll be it for PS3. 

For the Vita you still need to access your purchased content thru the PS Store, so how are we going to do that once the stores close.

It's strange, but Rockstar, Ubisoft, Capcom and Activision  are the ones that still carried out online functionalities in their important products like Cod, Street Fighter, AC, GTA, RDR etc after all these years, frankly, I was surprised  Injustice for the ps3 still had their servers  on in 2021, Warner Bros will definitely  take advantage of this and close shop.

6 minutes ago, milanbarca82 said:

Ikr?

I have PS5 but use it entirely for PS4 games as it still doesn't have proper next gen games aside from DS remake.  I'll let my little siblings play around with it while I occupy myself with my PS3 and PSVita backlog for the upcoming months.  And yeah, I have the same fears regarding the online part of PS3/Vita games.

Indeed.

I was planning to have some relaxing Final Fantasy, catch up with the other game's trophy lists and replay others, but nope, they're single player, now I'll have to juggle between Ultra Street Fighter 4, Injustice, Guilty Gear Rev, Killzone Shadowfall  which is ps4, but seeing when the other  Killzones closed in their lifecycle, it's another game that it's risking any day, and who can forget the neverending grind of Grand Theft Auto 5, ugh.

31 minutes ago, Hwoarang_21 said:

Anyone know if after the shut down we will be able to unlock ps3 trophies and conect to the PSN "the profile part"???? 

With the fact that your download list will still be available, I think it'll be safe to assume you'll be able to unlock trophies on PS3 and likely PSVita. But given what's going on with Sony right now, I wouldn't put it past them to have another way to screw over their fans (and trophy hunters from PS3 days onwards).

Just now, POEman553 said:

With the fact that your download list will still be available, I think it'll be safe to assume you'll be able to unlock trophies on PS3 and likely PSVita. But given what's going on with Sony right now, I wouldn't put it past them to have another way to screw over their fans (and trophy hunters from PS3 days onwards).

They will target online functionality next. 

Looks like I better organize a group for Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Black Flag before it’s too late. 

Seriously, imagine if on April 1st we get a mail claiming it was an april fool :lol:

As tempting as it might be, I wouldn't recommend panic buying.  Just pick a handful of games that might interest you and move on.

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

They will target online functionality next. 

Looks like I better organize a group for Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Black Flag before it’s too late. 

I am so not looking forward to grinding out far cry 2.

Posted (edited)

Sony should definitely have a "Closing Down Sale" or similiar.

At least if they are gonna be dicks and close everything down, least they can do if be a bit kinder to the customers who have stuck with them until the end.

Those 9 "free" games they gave us last week, well they're all free, until 2030 or so.

Edited by enaysoft

5 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Sony should definitely have a "Closing Down Sale" or similiar.

At least if they are gonna be dicks and close everything down, least they can do if be a bit kinder to the customers who have stuck with them until the end.

Those 9 "free" games they gave us last week, well they're all free, until 2030 or so.

I would love a goodbye sale but I guarantee it won't happen. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Jim Ryan and company just don't care about their legacy and it honestly sucks. Yeah the stores are really old at this point but Microsoft/PC in general still let you get old games and play them to your hearts content. 

I know other people have been saying this but the deadline should have been a lot longer. I fully recommend jailbreaking your systems whenever you feel inclined to at this point. I'm not abandoning my playstation stuff as I have too much but I'll be damned if I can't play stuff that's not accessible anymore.

6 minutes ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

As tempting as it might be, I wouldn't recommend panic buying.  Just pick a handful of games that might interest you and move on.

I am so not looking forward to grinding out far cry 2.

As much as I don't want to panic buy, I actually use my Vita on the go and IIRC, Sony said they wouldn't make another portable console. I've already bought a handful of games. The only thing stopping me from buying more is the fear of Sony ceasing the option to sync trophies. Really not sure what to do at this point.

June 28th - Vita Messaging removed

July 2nd - PS3 PSN Store nuked

August 27th - Vita PSN Store nuked

2 minutes ago, WILD DOG said:

I would love a goodbye sale but I guarantee it won't happen. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Jim Ryan and company just don't care about their legacy and it honestly sucks. Yeah the stores are really old at this point but Microsoft/PC in general still let you get old games and play them to your hearts content. 

I know other people have been saying this but the deadline should have been a lot longer. I fully recommend jailbreaking your systems whenever you feel inclined to at this point. I'm not abandoning my playstation stuff as I have too much but I'll be damned if I can't play stuff that's not accessible anymore.

I’m not going to jailbreak my systems at this point as the number of games I have on PS3/Vita are down to roughly 12 - 15. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sonic Unleashed will take a while but most of what I have can be done relatively quickly. 

I suppose now it’s finally time I played Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker and get the online done before it’s too late. 

Really a shit show Sony has been this past year.

I'm going to wait and see what happens with the availability of the emulated PS1/PS2 classics. Might need to make a list here... If there are remakes like crash and spyro, I probably don't need them, but I'd like to pick up games I'm interested in before they go away.

Klonoa

Parasite Eve 1 & 2

RE 1, 2, and 3 (maybe)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Persona 4

Tomba 2

Xenogears

Maybe vagrant story?

Possibly FFV and FFVI?

Maybe SF alpha 3?

Thinking about Silent Hill?

Any PS1 or PS2 gems only available on the PS3 store? Don't really care about DLC trophies, but I want to pick up a few of these classics before it closes.

Posted (edited)

I had a bad feeling when I first heard the now confirmed rumor. After all the awful decisions being made by Sony lately, yet another awful decision didn’t seem like such a far fetched idea to me. I expect many more disappointments to come. I guess the closure of the stores for these consoles weren’t considered worthy of a disclosure at least a year in advance. The way they’re handling this situation is so unprofessional in my opinion. This is making me reconsider whether I will continue to support them.

Edited by LunaRoselia

5 minutes ago, WILD DOG said:

What exactly does jailbreaking a console do exactly?

Just now, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'm going to wait and see what happens with the availability of the emulated PS1/PS2 classics. Might need to make a list here... If there are remakes like crash and spyro, I probably don't need them, but I'd like to pick up games I'm interested in before they go away.

Klonoa

Parasite Eve 1 & 2

RE 1, 2, and 3 (maybe)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Persona 4

Tomba 2

Xenogears

Maybe vagrant story?

Possibly FFV and FFVI?

Maybe SF alpha 3?

Thinking about Silent Hill?

Any PS1 or PS2 gems only available on the PS3 store? Don't really care about DLC trophies, but I want to pick up a few of these classics before it closes.

I recommend someone make a pinned thread on all PS1/PS2/PS3/Vita games that will be lost with the store closures. 

Some games I want that are AA production only have DLC available via the store. I want to know what is available for the upcoming months before the inevitable happens.

3 minutes ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

What exactly does jailbreaking a console do exactly?

It lets you fully customize your console and also lets you play games for free, especially delisted games like Outrun or After Burner. I have CFW on my Vitas/PSP and don't really regret it. It's up to the person to jailbreak it if they want to but I see no harm in it. 

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I recommend someone make a pinned thread on all PS1/PS2/PS3/Vita games that will be lost with the store closures. 

Some games I want that are AA production only have DLC available via the store. I want to know what is available for the upcoming months before the inevitable happens.

That would be nice. Honestly, I'm most bummed losing the PS1 and PS2 classics because most of them aren't available for PS4 and I was planning on buying these at some point after I finished my PS3 backlog (which I'm actually somewhat close).

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I’m not going to jailbreak my systems at this point as the number of games I have on PS3/Vita are down to roughly 12 - 15. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sonic Unleashed will take a while but most of what I have can be done relatively quickly. 

I suppose now it’s finally time I played Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker and get the online done before it’s too late. 

Really a shit show Sony has been this past year.

There's PS3 games I can't finish on my list due to delisted DLC or defunct servers. I've come to terms with that though. I do want to go back and finish up what I care about though as my backlog is pretty big. I'm not jailbreaking mine atm but we'll see.

Other then that, yeah Sony really is just taking the piss lately.

Edited by WILD DOG

Just now, WILD DOG said:

There's PS3 games I can't finish on my list due to delisted DLC or defunct servers. I've come to terms with that though. I do want to go back and finish up what I care about though as my backlog is pretty big. I'm not jailbreaking mine atm but we'll see.

That’s one thing. This is getting many digital content potentially lost. 

We’ll see what happens. But it’s likely I’ll migrate to Steam in the near future, as I’m getting tired of Sony’s attitude.