Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

23 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

So some take aways from this:

•  PS4/PS5 games with PS3/Vita versions ("Cross Buy") can still grant access to PS3/Vita versions. 

Can they though? According to the email, you need to have "downloaded" cross buy games you've bought on both platforms before the store closures. Thing is, I've got some games that were cross buy between Vita and PS3, never downloaded the PS3 version, but they still appear in my download list. Are those still going to be there when the stores close? Really wish Sony was more transparent with this.

• PS3 discs still in production

Wonder if Limited Run Games is going to try and cash in on this...

• Developers can't submit patches for Vita games after August

I imagine this will also be the case for PS3, if it isn't already, not like it's really gotten any new games for the past 2-3 years. This one stings the most, there's still a few games coming out between now and the closures, really hope they don't end up having major bugs that can never be patched out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

They did put out one PS3 game in the last year and a half just because they could

Oddworlds Strangers Wrath

I bought it. For some reason.

Just now, DEI2EK said:

They did put out one PS3 game in the last year and a half just because they could

Oddworlds Strangers Wrath

I bought it. For some reason.

Same. Then it got a physical for Switch anyway.

Have to wonder if they won't start producing more digital only PS3 games on physical discs as a result of this, assuming they get all the permissions from certain studios/publishers and Sony and what not.

11 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

So some take aways from this:

•  PS4/PS5 games with PS3/Vita versions ("Cross Buy") can still grant access to PS3/Vita versions. 

Can they though? According to the email, you need to have "downloaded" cross buy games you've bought on both platforms before the store closures. Thing is, I've got some games that were cross buy between Vita and PS3, never downloaded the PS3 version, but they still appear in my download list. Are those still going to be there when the stores close? Really wish Sony was more transparent with this.

What's in the Download List is yours.

Also did they seriously write "PS4/PS5 games with PS3/Vita versions"? There are no PS5 games with PS3/Vita versions lol.

17 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Don't joke, they'll be all over this. Biggest rip off merchants in the gaming industry, and I like physical games.

Not shocked Sony pulled this though, hopefully the second hand market doesn't rise too much for anybody who wants to play some older titles. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diskdocx said:

You are completely missing the point.

The PS3 was one of the first consoles to move towards a digital marketplace. Digital only games, DLC, patches - these were not things in prior generations. The closure of the store represents the loss of innumerable games - publishers that are gone, games that are available no where else, on no other system. These are lost, potentially forever.

Yes, it was inevitable that this day would come. It is rather shocking that Sony has done so in such a quick and rather callous manner. The PS3 has been out for 15 yrs, but the last release was 2018. So your 20 yrs post is non-sense. We are talking about content that is 15 yrs old at most, with the bulk of the digital content being more like 7-10 yrs old.

While you may care little about heritage, many gamers do. You can fire up an Atari 2600, and the games still work. The transition to digital gaming means that many PS3 games will no longer work, or at least will no longer work fully, and that is a sad day for gamers. Sony doesn't seem to care. They could have maintained this longer, and IMO had an obligation to do so. I doubt that they were losing money - in fact, the costs to continue to maintain the backbone servers, which they claim they will be doing, likely cost WAY more than keeping the storefront open. Although they will probably be shutting off those servers soon. Maybe we will get more than a few months notice. Probably not though.

The Vita is a whole other story. I cannot think of a non-bankrupting console holder that has abruptly shut off its store. There were many Vita games still coming out and being planned. It is absolutely bullshit to pull the rug out under an active console with little warning. What a terrible way to treat both your customers and the developers that have spent money and time on a game that has now been rendered completely wasted. I would have thought at least a year warning would have been expected. Hell, Nintendo gave what - 2 yrs?

If it makes no financial sense to keep these stores running, why  are developers still working on and selling Vita games? They can make a profit on that, but it costs Sony that much to run a store front that they are losing cash? Bull shit.

Sony is completely pissing on its customers and its developers here, and no people aren't over-reacting.

Oh, and the PS5 absolutely will NOT be forward compatible. I don't think you know what that means. There has never been a console that plays games from the successor. And the PS5 certainly is not going to play PS6 games. So no, the PS5 will not be a forward compatible console. I suspect you mean PS5 games will be playable on the PS6. That is, the PS6 will be backwards compatible. Just like the PS5 is BC with PS4 games. No one describes the PS4 as being forward compatible. It just isn't.

Oh whatever man get grip. Just another overreacting person. I'm talking about the PS3, don't care about Vita. If the store was making money it would stay open, but its not, end of, move on. And forward compatible as in the games will work on PS6, you what i meant so stop acting like a smart arse. I'm done with this thread, just a bunch of overreacting cry babies and people looking for arguments. 

Edited by GUDGER666

8 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

What's in the Download List is yours.

Also did they seriously write "PS4/PS5 games with PS3/Vita versions"? There are no PS5 games with PS3/Vita versions lol.

I'd imagine so, but I don't trust Sony.

Yes. I dunno, maybe there's plans to release a PS5 game with PS3/Vita versions at some point. Highly doubt though.

1 minute ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Don't joke, they'll be all over this. Biggest rip off merchants in the gaming industry, and I like physical games.

Not shocked Sony pulled this though, hopefully the second hand market doesn't rise too much for anybody who wants to play some older titles. 

I know, but it does seem like something they might lap up. I still give 'em my money whenever they produce physicals for games I really want physically. Just sucks they tend to be the only option for that a lot of the time.

I've already noticed some prices going up on sites like Cex. I can imagine all those Vita physicals produced by limited print companies like LRG or PlayAsia are going to skyrocket even more now as well.

3 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I know, but it does seem like something they might lap up. I still give 'em my money whenever they produce physicals for games I really want physically. Just sucks they tend to be the only option for that a lot of the time.

I've already noticed some prices going up on sites like Cex. I can imagine all those Vita physicals produced by limited print companies like LRG or PlayAsia are going to skyrocket even more now as well.

I'm not much of a game collector myself but my brother is, he's brought quite alot from them in the past. I do like some of their stuff, it's just a shame they produce so much shite so the hardcore collectors buy it. Also, they're crazy slow at times, think it took him like 3 months to get Panzer Dragoon or something. 

Yeah, I remember Xbox made a few Xbox original titles backwards compatible with the Xbox One a few years back. He got on that that fairly quickly, CEX sold out of them all then they ultimately rose. Ebay adjusted prices fairly quickly too!  

29 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Yes. I dunno, maybe there's plans to release a PS5 game with PS3/Vita versions at some point. Highly doubt though.t even more now as well.

Ahah not sure if you're joking, anyway i think Retro City Rampage and Shakedown Hawaii are among the games with the most cross-buy versions. RCR was even released on PSP. However there's still no native PS5 version for the former.

Edited by Lance_87

26 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I'm not much of a game collector myself but my brother is, he's brought quite alot from them in the past. I do like some of their stuff, it's just a shame they produce so much shite so the hardcore collectors buy it. Also, they're crazy slow at times, think it took him like 3 months to get Panzer Dragoon or something. 

Yeah, I remember Xbox made a few Xbox original titles backwards compatible with the Xbox One a few years back. He got on that that fairly quickly, CEX sold out of them all then they ultimately rose. Ebay adjusted prices fairly quickly too!  

It's not just Limited Run, I ordered a game from Strictly Limited Games April last year. I literally only just received it last month. The only limited print company I can think of that delivers their games timely is Super Rare, but that's because they print the games before orders go up, so you get what you buy within a week or two of buying it. Problem is that means their stock is obviously limited, no open pre-order/print to order games like LRG, and they honestly don't produce many "good" games to say the least.

People are quick to increase prices for games they know are going to be in higher demand due to things like digital store closures, or the unusual case of Microsoft bringing backwards compatible games to their platform. With how soon the stores are set to shut close, I can only imagine how quickly prices for physical games are already raising, and across so many platforms as well (PSP, Vita, PS3, but also PS1 and PS2 thanks to us losing the digital "classic" versions of those. This may also increase the price for games on PS4 that are also available on PS3 and/or Vita). That's another kicker from the PS3 and Vita stores closing, it's going to make it harder and more expensive to get physical copies of games for these platforms as well. There's some games that are actually cheaper digitally on those storefronts, and their existence has probably helped lessen the demand for physical copies, until now of course.

32 minutes ago, GregHouse007 said:

Some of us haven't bought those games because of how shit the prices are. Also, it's a secondary console and games are very old, so you would expect they would offer better deals to make you buy them instead of newer ones like with every product, but no, it's the other way around somehow. No sales at all.  

I look on my wishlist right now and I could buy Dante's Inferno on the PS3 for 15 dollars or I could buy the remastered collection of Batman Arkham also for 15. 3 much newer and also better games against one, tough decision. I could by Dead Space 2 for 15 dollars on the PS3 or I could buy Metro Redux for 5 for the PS4. PS3 never wins and why is this? Why do they make it so hard to buy those games? Tomb Raider on the PS4 is at 2.99 right now. Ninja Gaiden Sigma in the PS3 has been frozen on 19.99 for ages. These prices make no sense. Why be like that?

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 received a digital version on PS3?

9 minutes ago, NxtDoc said:

I can't believe that I am not seeing more frustration over this! 

A bunch of sheep to be herd.  This shows that the Billion dollar companies truly do own most gamers.  

Very disappointing 

Sue them and see what happens. xD

Edited by Lance_87

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Probably because there's nothing anyone can do about it. They're going to close the store no matter how much people shout and scream. It is resignation at this point

The only way to hurt them is to stop paying them and move to other platforms
Imo Sony became the shittiest company on the market anyway, Microsoft acquired more studios than Sony own altogether solely by purchasing Bethesda.
It's just doesn't make sense to stick to Sony because it has no future, Microsoft and PC market will destroy it. And now it even doesn't have past...
Yet most people here seem to be discussing what games they will panic-buy...

2 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Imo Sony became the shittiest company on the market anyway, Microsoft acquired more studios than Sony own altogether solely by purchasing Bethesda.
It's just doesn't make sense to stick to Sony because it has no future, Microsoft and PC market will destroy it. And now it even doesn't have past...

You're complaining about things related to having an all digital ecosystem but PC is an all digital storefront and could suffer the same fate.

Steam doesn't even provide for windows XP anymore.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

People like the trophy ecosystem or have put too much money into the playstation eco system to jump ship. Myself I have both Nintendo and Sony consoles but i have hundreds of games for PS1-5 on my shelf. To drop all that and go with Microsoft is too much to ask.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KingSkovald said:

Have you forgotten Microsoft's initial plan for the Xbox One? Today's hero is next gen's villain. Microsoft Will make a ton of money off of the goodwill they generate combined with Sony's awful decisions, get cocky and greedy and come up with some boneheaded plan to make more money, and then Sony will swoop in with some pro consumer moves and the tables will turn once again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

You're complaining about things related to having an all digital ecosystem but PC is an all digital storefront and could suffer the same fate.

Steam doesn't even provide for windows XP anymore.

But at least Steam doesn't cease to sell certain games due to their age. Hell, it even sells DOS emulated games like hot cakes...

That thing about Windows XP happens with all programs.

1 minute ago, Lance_87 said:

But at least Steam doesn't cease to sell certain games due to their age. Hell, it even sells DOS emulated games like hot cakes...

That thing about Windows XP happens with all programs.

Steam stops selling games all the time, it's why GOG is a thing and their compatibility for many older titles on Steam is greatly in question.

1 minute ago, aishsha said:

The funniest thing - it's 3 months till shutdown, and they haven't even bothered to announce it yet since the information is still for semi-internal developer use. Way to go, PR units, rofl.

They sent out an email confirming it yesterday, and the details are live on their support page. How is that not an announcement?

• Like 1