Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

2 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

Of all the days for Sony to announce the store closure, they picked a day suspiciously close to April 1...

It's because it's close to March 31, not because of April 1st. The end of March is the end of fiscal year in many countries.

Edited by Lance_87

10 minutes ago, Darghel said:

True but there are still games that don't exist in some areas, so if they actually ported all the games on psn now, as much as it's a shitty deal, I would at least give it some thought.

It's account-linked. So, basically, you can only play it there - it's not console-wide. So, A You'd be willingly refusing from all of your trophies (which is prob ok if you just wanna play games for fun) B Risking to have some VPN restriction like they do in some MMO games (DQX, to name the few).

PS: By account linking, I mean, you can only play the games you actually download on any of your console account. None of the PS3 could have been downloaded last time I checked (which was like a year ago) so I effectively refused from having this service. Secondly, I'm not really in the mood of paying twice for the same game since I have pretty much everything I want on ps3 minus some Jap stuff, and the thing what worries me are dlcs.

PPS: The number of PS3 games there is also very-very low.

Edited by aishsha

Just now, GregHouse007 said:

You can so far but I'm told that as soon as Nintendo killed their store in the Wii, these services like Youtube and Netflix followed soon after. Not sure if that is true though

Well that was probably a decision made by Google and Netflix themselves.

15 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Maybe Sony have done this for a specific reason? Maybe they are going to add PS1,PS2, PS3 backwards compatibility or something. Or maybe they are going to add as many of those games onto PlayStation Now to boost it which makes sense. I'd imagine a hell of a lot more people would subscribe to it knowing that all those games have gone on there or are going to. I mean let's face it, Sony do need to compete better with PS Now because compared to Game Pass, not even in the same league. Surely Sony know how much of a success it is for Microsoft Xbox. 

All these things happening at around the same time seems to coincidental. The offer of PS Now for $1. The patent to add trophies to games that haven't got them. The closure of the PS Stores, it must be setting something up for something bigger later on down the line. 

Maybe, I both hope and don't hope that's the case. On one hand, it'd be great being able to play old games on PS5, on the other hand, I just know they're going to make us re-buy all those PS1/PS2 Classics we might have had on PS3.

Whatever the case, I doubt Sony will ever go the route of Microsoft of allowing certain backwards compatible games on their system, at least definitely not physically (not that it's technically physical with Xbox either, but at least you can download the digital versions of BC games with just an old disc).

2 minutes ago, Darghel said:

I'll be doing some research first but considering that the US store has some games that we EU players never got (mostly jrpgs really) I REALLY need to do this now. I was hoping they would get ported or something but nope, so stuff like Legend of Dragoon (which we have but not on the store) Legend of Mana (yeah it's coming NOW after 20 years), apparently even Xenogears (which wasn't released because of censorship) or the Raidou Kazunoha games are simply too hard to ignore for me who love jrpgs. And there's probably more!

There's loads, I bought about 20 or so PS1 games, and 15 or so PS2 games that were only on the US store a few years ago, most being JRPGs (thank God I got them when I did). My US/Canadian account is technically my husband's, in his name with his (real) address back in his home country, so it technically isn't even linked to me at all other than me using on the same IP address I assume. Sony doesn't seem to have cared in the slightest so far.

1 minute ago, MidnightDragon said:

My address is “my house”. They haven’t had a problem yet.

As I said, I doubt they care. I haven't ever heard of anyone being banned for this. There's other some weird things in the TOS that never seem to get enforced anyway. Not sure if it still exists, but there was a paragraph added to their TOS at some point stating: "You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher."

But people are still selling their pre-owned games just fine.

6 minutes ago, aishsha said:

It's account-linked. So, basically, you can only play it there - it's not console-wide. So, A You'd be willingly refusing from all of your trophies (which is prob ok if you just wanna play games for fun) B Risking to have some VPN restriction like they do in some MMO games (DQX, to name the few).

PS: By account linking, I mean, you can only play the games you actually download on any of your console account. None of the PS3 could have been downloaded last time I checked (which was like a year ago) so I effectively refused from having this service. Secondly, I'm not really in the mood of paying twice for the same game since I have pretty much everything I want on ps3 minus some Jap stuff, and the thing what worries me are dlcs.

PPS: The number of PS3 games there is also very-very low.

I would probably only use the psn now for playing the old games like Legend of Dragoon or Xenogears and etc: that's why im trying to focus on making an US account, to get those old classics for ps1 and 2 that never came to europe. Everything from ps3 onward doesn't really bother me because it's region free and ebay can help.

7 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Maybe, I both hope and don't hope that's the case. On one hand, it'd be great being able to play old games on PS5, on the other hand, I just know they're going to make us re-buy all those PS1/PS2 Classics we might have had on PS3.

Whatever the case, I doubt Sony will ever go the route of Microsoft of allowing certain backwards compatible games on their system, at least definitely not physically (not that it's technically physical with Xbox either, but at least you can download the digital versions of BC games with just an old disc).

There's loads, I bought about 20 or so PS1 games, and 15 or so PS2 games that were only on the US store a few years ago, most being JRPGs (thank God I got them when I did). My US/Canadian account is technically my husband's, in his name with his (real) address back in his home country, so it technically isn't even linked to me at all other than me using on the same IP address I assume. Sony doesn't seem to have cared in the slightest so far.

As I said, I doubt they care. I haven't ever heard of anyone being banned for this. There's other some weird things in the TOS that never seem to get enforced anyway. Not sure if it still exists, but there was a paragraph added to their TOS at some point stating: "You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher."

But people are still selling their pre-owned games just fine.

Probably because it would get thrown out by courts if they tried to enforce it.

6 minutes ago, Darghel said:

Everything from ps3 onward doesn't really bother me because it's region free and ebay can help.

Again, this only refers to what you actually see on the disc. I have like 200+ Japanese titles, with some of them having tons of DLCs available in Japanese store only. Some games are digital only, too (yes, their recent motto "Go Digital" sounds more like a mockery to me now - not that I would ever refuse from physical releases). 

Just now, aishsha said:

Again, this only refers to what you actually see on the disc. I have like 200+ Japanese titles, with some of them having tons of DLCs available in Japanese store only. Some games are digital only, too (yes, their recent motto "Go Digital" sounds more like a mockery to me now - not that I would ever refuse from physical releases). 

Oh surely, dlc is a pain: i have a copy of Cross X Edge but it's US so I can't use the dlc, but most of the games I wanted on ps3 are either released here or I already have. Frankly the ps3 is the least of my problems: I'm more concerned on getting the games for ps1 and 2. Having a chance to replay legend of dragoon again is just too good since my ps1 is dead and my copy is also dead (it was pirated). 

It just bothers me that LoD isn't in EU store considering an european version does exist (including dubbing and translation).

3 minutes ago, Darghel said:

Oh surely, dlc is a pain: i have a copy of Cross X Edge but it's US so I can't use the dlc, but most of the games I wanted on ps3 are either released here or I already have. Frankly the ps3 is the least of my problems: I'm more concerned on getting the games for ps1 and 2. Having a chance to replay legend of dragoon again is just too good since my ps1 is dead and my copy is also dead (it was pirated). 

It just bothers me that LoD isn't in EU store considering an european version does exist (including dubbing and translation).

PC is your best friend then. Luckily, I can still have the PS2 running, which was 100% backwards compatible.

Just now, aishsha said:

PC is your best friend then. Luckily, I can still have the PS2 running, which was 100% backwards compatible.

My ps2 still runs as well, it's my game that is dead (we didn't have a game stop-like store to buy our games, so piracy was common), although I have to be careful with my ps2 since I have 2, one being modified and the other legit. It just fucking sucked to be an EU jrpg lover when half of your games didn't get a release.

Although at this point, I might be thinking of emulation for real. I hate emulation, but I know that it's important when games get suddenly removed so easily...and yeah I still prefer physical over digital for this very reason!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darghel said:

My ps2 still runs as well, it's my game that is dead (we didn't have a game stop-like store to buy our games, so piracy was common), although I have to be careful with my ps2 since I have 2, one being modified and the other legit. It just fucking sucked to be an EU jrpg lover when half of your games didn't get a release.

Although at this point, I might be thinking of emulation for real. I hate emulation, but I know that it's important when games get suddenly removed so easily...and yeah I still prefer physical over digital for this very reason!

Well, yes, that's why I keep dumps of the old games I own. You can fit ps2 with an HDD anyway. And yes, emulation is the only preservation/legacy practice which effectively exists by looking back what Sony's doing.

PS: LoD is relatively cheap on ebay, btw.

Edited by aishsha

5 minutes ago, aishsha said:

Well, yes, that's why I keep dumps of the old games I own. You can fit ps2 with an HDD anyway. And yes, emulation is the only preservation/legacy practice which effectively exists by looking back what Sony's doing.

PS: LoD is relatively cheap on ebay, btw.

What? I went to look a few hours ago, it's like 100 euros or something! The cheaper versions seems to be the JP ones I think, but Pal are I think the most expensive.

And yeah I know, It's the same with how Nintendo closed the virtual console, but I was never a big fan of Nintendo so it didn't affect me much. This time it does.

6 minutes ago, Darghel said:

What? I went to look a few hours ago, it's like 100 euros or something! The cheaper versions seems to be the JP ones I think, but Pal are I think the most expensive.

And yeah I know, It's the same with how Nintendo closed the virtual console, but I was never a big fan of Nintendo so it didn't affect me much. This time it does.

Action replay and US version. It's like 35$+

24 minutes ago, aishsha said:

I created alt Japanese account solely to buy Silent Hill 4 which is only available in JP store and is PSN-only (PS2 collection) and few Yakuza PS3/Vita games. I planned to make much more purchases there in the future but well...

Edited by KingSkovald

58 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Maybe Sony have done this for a specific reason? Maybe they are going to add PS1,PS2, PS3 backwards compatibility or something. Or maybe they are going to add as many of those games onto PlayStation Now to boost it which makes sense. I'd imagine a hell of a lot more people would subscribe to it knowing that all those games have gone on there or are going to. I mean let's face it, Sony do need to compete better with PS Now because compared to Game Pass, not even in the same league. Surely Sony know how much of a success it is for Microsoft Xbox. 

All these things happening at around the same time seems to coincidental. The offer of PS Now for $1. The patent to add trophies to games that haven't got them. The closure of the PS Stores, it must be setting something up for something bigger later on down the line. 

That patent is the same patent for that bullshit PS2 program they did on PS4 nothing's going to come of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

PS2 isn't 100% backwards compatible: https://retrogamebuyer.com/is-the-ps2-backward-compatible/

I still have an OG PS2 with HD Loader and a 250 Gig hard drive loaded up with all my ripped PS1 and PS2 games. Just played some FF12 not too long ago. I think only the PS5 has better backward compatibility with it's previous generation though, as even the Emotion Engine was around 98% compatible with PS2 titles. PS5 eeks it out at 99% compatibility with PS4 titles.

My bad. But, tbh, I'll live just fine without Crazy Ivan and stuff. I have tested about 500+ Japanese titles on ps2 without any visible issues, though, so yeah.

PS: If they introduced something at least half as close as ps2 has for ps1 games on ps5, I'd be praying dark gods they keep that up. Unfortunately, I doubt they care. But yes, PSN Store for PS3 had an enormous library emulated from ps1 (I can hardly name any even obscure titles I couldn't find there - Favorite Dear, Mahoutsukai Ni naru Hihou - you name it) and quite a bunch of ps2 games, but of course ps5 is way too hard to emulate em. facepalm.

Edited by aishsha

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

PS2 isn't 100% backwards compatible: https://retrogamebuyer.com/is-the-ps2-backward-compatible/

I still have an OG PS2 with HD Loader and a 250 Gig hard drive loaded up with all my ripped PS1 and PS2 games. Just played some FF12 not too long ago. I think only the PS5 has better backward compatibility with it's previous generation though, as even the Emotion Engine was around 98% compatible with PS2 titles. PS5 eeks it out at 99% compatibility with PS4 titles.

Not only that, but certain late PS2 models cannot run... a small batch of PS2 games. Seriously.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

I created alt Japanese account solely to buy Silent Hill 4 which is only available in JP store and is PSN-only (PS2 collection) and few Yakuza PS3/Vita games. I planned to make much more purchases there in the future but well...

Lucky you. Half of my library is in Japanese, and I'm not even sure which dlcs I now need (

1 hour ago, LoveInHell said:

Question: can we still use Netflix and Youtube on the PS3?

Those apps still work at the moment.
Youtube, Netflix, Crunchyroll, Prime Video, Spotify, Plex and Red Bull TV.
Netflix even had a new patch (2.36) when I checked... lol
Not sure about the apps for other regions.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

I'm glad I still got a PAL copy of that game. I really liked that game, definitely creepy!

9 minutes ago, aishsha said:

Lucky you. Half of my library is in Japanese, and I'm not even sure which dlcs I now need (

I have a Japanese PS2 but don't have any games for it, bought only for collection. I feel like I might start to import some JP stuff for it soon, had Disaster Report series in mind to start with

3 minutes ago, Darghel said:

I'm glad I still got a PAL copy of that game. I really liked that game, definitely creepy!

It was when I was a kid, was one of my favorite series back then. The only way to play it on PS3 is to have a JP account and buy it digitally, another good game that will be impossible to get soon

Edited by KingSkovald