WaddysWDS

Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

2,375 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, aishsha said:

I wouldn't count on this "you can STILL download the games you purchased..." for too long, btw. With the way they've been spitting into our mouths for the last year - it's more likely "you can still until we say otherwise". I say you'd have to download them to stay on the safe side. Which is a no-go for me considering the perspective storage volume.

 

I agree. I would be hesitant to buy more digital games than you can play in the next year or save to storage. If you are a try-hard trophy hunter, I would be wary of stocking up too much in case Sony permanently pulls the plug on the PS3 and Vita.

 

I have neglected my Vita in 2021 so far, but plan on working on all of my digital backlog so that I can figure out what I want to keep on my memory card so that I can install and update everything that I will want to play/replay...just in case.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, awf9495 said:

 

I agree. I would be hesitant to buy more digital games than you can play in the next year or save to storage. If you are a try-hard trophy hunter, I would be wary of stocking up too much in case Sony permanently pulls the plug on the PS3 and Vita.

 

I have neglected my Vita in 2021 so far, but plan on working on all of my digital backlog so that I can figure out what I want to keep on my memory card so that I can install and update everything that I will want to play/replay...just in case.

Well, the only good thing here is that Vita games are relatively small in size and can be stored on PS3. The latter's products, on the contrary...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Lots of people do it. Don't worry. 

Right, hopefully it should be easy. I heard paying for the games might be problematic cause it needs a registered card, but me and my sister will have to find a way around. There's just too much jrpg gold in the US store to pass up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Darghel said:

Right, considering now it's gonna be closing, i should make an US psn account to get some of those games now (especially the JRPGs, since we Euros weren't blessed enough to grab the classics like Xenogears)...which begs the question: does it give you problems if you make an US account if you're EU? Don't wanna risk getting banned or anything. Last thing I need is that!

 

I think you aren't "allowed" to make accounts with fake addresses according to Sony's TOS, but I don't see what's stopping you from putting in the White House address or something, it's a real address after all. Maybe just don't use your real name for good measure, but I doubt it matters.

 

Plenty of people have alt accounts in different regions and I've yet to hear anyone being banned for it, even though it "technically" may be a ban-able offense, maybe? I doubt Sony really cares enough, as long as you're giving them money.

 

15 minutes ago, shaunsheep677 said:


Yeah basically if they were 'considering' shutting them down they should have notified about the closures way, way sooner. Like last year sooner. Since they didn't notify us, not even when the webstore was redesigned, the honest and decent thing to do was give everyone a years notice. 'Considering' means they've been thinking on this, possibly for awhile. Funny how they've had time to consider it, but they're giving us hardly any time to make purchases in the middle of a bloody pandemic, and lots of people are in financial difficulties. 

As for the Vita, I mean they never had any love for it. EVER. It's like a disowned child. They made it, promised us 'PS3 quality' games, then abandoned about a year or so after. Never seen a company disown a piece of hardware so quick. Then it turned into something else. While it does have some PS3 quality games on it (Killzone Mercenary is the best looking game on there) it became this portable indie machine (which could also play PS1 and PSP games), and I really liked that direction it went in. Even more so than what it was originally intended for.  I really liked the indies I've played on it like Gunhouse for example. The PS3 closure is bad, I get that games/DLC will still be lost but quite a lot of PS3 games have been remastered/ported to PS4, and there's also PS Now (which isn't that great but at least it's something). With the Vita I think there's far more on there which is going to be lost.

Yeah I feel sorry for the Vita developers, especially since they're indie developers, and not big developers with triple A budgets.

People will probably be put off buying a Vita now. However there are still options, buy physical Vita games. I know a lot of indie games on the Vita have had Limited Run physical releases. The only problem here is you've got to have pretty deep pockets, especially with the Limited Run games which will skyrocket in value after this. The other option is to hack the Vita with custom firmware, which I'm definitely considering now.

I am wondering about the cross-buy games with PS4 though. If you buy a PS4 game which could also be played on the Vita, will you be able to download it to the Vita or not after the closure? I don't know, since the email isn't even clear about how redownloading games will work on the Vita, since the Download List is in the Store.

 

Yeah, it's completely unreasonable to give such short notice during a pandemic. We'll never know just how long they were "considering" this decision for, but I'm sure it's something they've been contemplating for quite some time now. Why they didn't inform us last year that the stores would be closing this summer, or why they didn't at least give a year's notice with this announcement, we'll never know.

 

I still remember some people at Sony blaming the Vita's failure on mobile games, nevermind its direct competitor, the 3DS, was doing pretty well for itself. Its over priced propriety memory cards and them dropping first party support so quickly are some of the main reasons it flopped in sales. I think the Vita's stores closing are definitely the biggest loss to come from this as well, due to the fact games were still being developed for it (and have now been cancelled as a result), and it's still just a little less than a decade old. Not to mention there's zero emulators for Vita right now, whereas at least the PS3 has one. It's going to be a lot harder playing Vita games in the future than PS3 due to how many of them were digital, the expensive memory cards and their failure rate, and Vita consoles in general being rarer and more expensive than PS3s. Yeah, CFW is an option but it does carry risks (even if you don't plan to use it online, there's always a small chance of bricking the console), and of course not everyone is going to feel comfortable doing that.

 

There seems to be some mixed messages about that. I've bought games that are crossbuy between Vita/PS3 and/or PS4 before, only downloaded one of the versions for the console I intended to play it on, but usually the other versions do appear for me on the other consoles' download lists. But according to the email, you need to download these games to both/all systems before the stores go offline? I'd think if they at least appear in the download list, they're safe, but who knows. As for the download list being in the store, I imagine we probably will be able to still access the store to get to the list after the closure, the store will likely just be blank like the PSP and Wii shops are nowadays. But there isn't really any confirmation from Sony about this, so it's just speculation.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

 

I think you aren't "allowed" to make accounts with fake addresses according to Sony's TOS, but I don't see what's stopping you from putting in the White House address or something, it's a real address after all. Maybe just don't use your real name for good measure, but I doubt it matters.

 

Plenty of people have alt accounts in different regions and I've yet to hear anyone being banned for it, even though it "technically" may be a ban-able offense, maybe? I doubt Sony really cares enough, as long as you're giving them money.

I'll be doing some research first but considering that the US store has some games that we EU players never got (mostly jrpgs really) I REALLY need to do this now. I was hoping they would get ported or something but nope, so stuff like Legend of Dragoon (which we have but not on the store) Legend of Mana (yeah it's coming NOW after 20 years), apparently even Xenogears (which wasn't released because of censorship) or the Raidou Kazunoha games are simply too hard to ignore for me who love jrpgs. And there's probably more!

Edited by Darghel
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Maybe Sony have done this for a specific reason? Maybe they are going to add PS1,PS2, PS3 backwards compatibility or something. Or maybe they are going to add as many of those games onto PlayStation Now to boost it which makes sense. I'd imagine a hell of a lot more people would subscribe to it knowing that all those games have gone on there or are going to. I mean let's face it, Sony do need to compete better with PS Now because compared to Game Pass, not even in the same league. Surely Sony know how much of a success it is for Microsoft Xbox. 

 

All these things happening at around the same time seems to coincidental. The offer of PS Now for $1. The patent to add trophies to games that haven't got them. The closure of the PS Stores, it must be setting something up for something bigger later on down the line. 

PS Now is only available in a handful of countries (as if I could change my region, lol) so I wouldn't count on that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

 

I think you aren't "allowed" to make accounts with fake addresses according to Sony's TOS, but I don't see what's stopping you from putting in the White House address or something, it's a real address after all. Maybe just don't use your real name for good measure, but I doubt it matters.

My address is “my house”. They haven’t had a problem yet.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Steam stops selling games all the time, it's why GOG is a thing and their compatibility for many older titles on Steam is greatly in question.

 

There's a "little" difference between delisting some games and mass-removing entire generations of games from sale.

 

Do you seriously think Valve will wake up some day and say "sorry buds, no more games from before 200X"? -_-

Edited by Lance_87
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the days for Sony to announce the store closure, they picked a day suspiciously close to April 1...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aishsha said:

PS Now is only available in a handful of countries (as if I could change my region, lol) so I wouldn't count on that.

True but there are still games that don't exist in some areas, so if they actually ported all the games on psn now, as much as it's a shitty deal, I would at least give it some thought.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

Of all the days for Sony to announce the store closure, they picked a day suspiciously close to April 1...

 

It's because it's close to March 31, not because of April 1st. The end of March is the end of fiscal year in many countries.

Edited by Lance_87
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Darghel said:

True but there are still games that don't exist in some areas, so if they actually ported all the games on psn now, as much as it's a shitty deal, I would at least give it some thought.

It's account-linked. So, basically, you can only play it there - it's not console-wide. So, A You'd be willingly refusing from all of your trophies (which is prob ok if you just wanna play games for fun) B Risking to have some VPN restriction like they do in some MMO games (DQX, to name the few).

 

PS: By account linking, I mean, you can only play the games you actually download on any of your console account. None of the PS3 could have been downloaded last time I checked (which was like a year ago) so I effectively refused from having this service. Secondly, I'm not really in the mood of paying twice for the same game since I have pretty much everything I want on ps3 minus some Jap stuff, and the thing what worries me are dlcs.

PPS: The number of PS3 games there is also very-very low.

Edited by aishsha
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Question: can we still use Netflix and Youtube on the PS3?

You can so far but I'm told that as soon as Nintendo killed their store in the Wii, these services like Youtube and Netflix followed soon after. Not sure if that is true though

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GregHouse007 said:

You can so far but I'm told that as soon as Nintendo killed their store in the Wii, these services like Youtube and Netflix followed soon after. Not sure if that is true though

 

Well that was probably a decision made by Google and Netflix themselves.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Question: can we still use Netflix and Youtube on the PS3?

You can so far but I'm told that as soon as Nintendo killed their store in the Wii, these services like Youtube and Netflix followed soon after. Not sure if that is true though

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Maybe Sony have done this for a specific reason? Maybe they are going to add PS1,PS2, PS3 backwards compatibility or something. Or maybe they are going to add as many of those games onto PlayStation Now to boost it which makes sense. I'd imagine a hell of a lot more people would subscribe to it knowing that all those games have gone on there or are going to. I mean let's face it, Sony do need to compete better with PS Now because compared to Game Pass, not even in the same league. Surely Sony know how much of a success it is for Microsoft Xbox. 

 

All these things happening at around the same time seems to coincidental. The offer of PS Now for $1. The patent to add trophies to games that haven't got them. The closure of the PS Stores, it must be setting something up for something bigger later on down the line. 

 

Maybe, I both hope and don't hope that's the case. On one hand, it'd be great being able to play old games on PS5, on the other hand, I just know they're going to make us re-buy all those PS1/PS2 Classics we might have had on PS3.

 

Whatever the case, I doubt Sony will ever go the route of Microsoft of allowing certain backwards compatible games on their system, at least definitely not physically (not that it's technically physical with Xbox either, but at least you can download the digital versions of BC games with just an old disc).

 

2 minutes ago, Darghel said:

I'll be doing some research first but considering that the US store has some games that we EU players never got (mostly jrpgs really) I REALLY need to do this now. I was hoping they would get ported or something but nope, so stuff like Legend of Dragoon (which we have but not on the store) Legend of Mana (yeah it's coming NOW after 20 years), apparently even Xenogears (which wasn't released because of censorship) or the Raidou Kazunoha games are simply too hard to ignore for me who love jrpgs. And there's probably more!

 

There's loads, I bought about 20 or so PS1 games, and 15 or so PS2 games that were only on the US store a few years ago, most being JRPGs (thank God I got them when I did). My US/Canadian account is technically my husband's, in his name with his (real) address back in his home country, so it technically isn't even linked to me at all other than me using on the same IP address I assume. Sony doesn't seem to have cared in the slightest so far.

 

1 minute ago, MidnightDragon said:

My address is “my house”. They haven’t had a problem yet.

 

As I said, I doubt they care. I haven't ever heard of anyone being banned for this. There's other some weird things in the TOS that never seem to get enforced anyway. Not sure if it still exists, but there was a paragraph added to their TOS at some point stating: "You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher."

 

But people are still selling their pre-owned games just fine.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aishsha said:

It's account-linked. So, basically, you can only play it there - it's not console-wide. So, A You'd be willingly refusing from all of your trophies (which is prob ok if you just wanna play games for fun) B Risking to have some VPN restriction like they do in some MMO games (DQX, to name the few).

 

PS: By account linking, I mean, you can only play the games you actually download on any of your console account. None of the PS3 could have been downloaded last time I checked (which was like a year ago) so I effectively refused from having this service. Secondly, I'm not really in the mood of paying twice for the same game since I have pretty much everything I want on ps3 minus some Jap stuff, and the thing what worries me are dlcs.

PPS: The number of PS3 games there is also very-very low.

I would probably only use the psn now for playing the old games like Legend of Dragoon or Xenogears and etc: that's why im trying to focus on making an US account, to get those old classics for ps1 and 2 that never came to europe. Everything from ps3 onward doesn't really bother me because it's region free and ebay can help.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

 

Maybe, I both hope and don't hope that's the case. On one hand, it'd be great being able to play old games on PS5, on the other hand, I just know they're going to make us re-buy all those PS1/PS2 Classics we might have had on PS3.

 

Whatever the case, I doubt Sony will ever go the route of Microsoft of allowing certain backwards compatible games on their system, at least definitely not physically (not that it's technically physical with Xbox either, but at least you can download the digital versions of BC games with just an old disc).

 

 

There's loads, I bought about 20 or so PS1 games, and 15 or so PS2 games that were only on the US store a few years ago, most being JRPGs (thank God I got them when I did). My US/Canadian account is technically my husband's, in his name with his (real) address back in his home country, so it technically isn't even linked to me at all other than me using on the same IP address I assume. Sony doesn't seem to have cared in the slightest so far.

 

 

As I said, I doubt they care. I haven't ever heard of anyone being banned for this. There's other some weird things in the TOS that never seem to get enforced anyway. Not sure if it still exists, but there was a paragraph added to their TOS at some point stating: "You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher."

 

But people are still selling their pre-owned games just fine.

Probably because it would get thrown out by courts if they tried to enforce it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Darghel said:

Everything from ps3 onward doesn't really bother me because it's region free and ebay can help.

Again, this only refers to what you actually see on the disc. I have like 200+ Japanese titles, with some of them having tons of DLCs available in Japanese store only. Some games are digital only, too (yes, their recent motto "Go Digital" sounds more like a mockery to me now - not that I would ever refuse from physical releases). 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aishsha said:

Again, this only refers to what you actually see on the disc. I have like 200+ Japanese titles, with some of them having tons of DLCs available in Japanese store only. Some games are digital only, too (yes, their recent motto "Go Digital" sounds more like a mockery to me now - not that I would ever refuse from physical releases). 

Oh surely, dlc is a pain: i have a copy of Cross X Edge but it's US so I can't use the dlc, but most of the games I wanted on ps3 are either released here or I already have. Frankly the ps3 is the least of my problems: I'm more concerned on getting the games for ps1 and 2. Having a chance to replay legend of dragoon again is just too good since my ps1 is dead and my copy is also dead (it was pirated). 

It just bothers me that LoD isn't in EU store considering an european version does exist (including dubbing and translation).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darghel said:

Oh surely, dlc is a pain: i have a copy of Cross X Edge but it's US so I can't use the dlc, but most of the games I wanted on ps3 are either released here or I already have. Frankly the ps3 is the least of my problems: I'm more concerned on getting the games for ps1 and 2. Having a chance to replay legend of dragoon again is just too good since my ps1 is dead and my copy is also dead (it was pirated). 

It just bothers me that LoD isn't in EU store considering an european version does exist (including dubbing and translation).

PC is your best friend then. Luckily, I can still have the PS2 running, which was 100% backwards compatible.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aishsha said:

PC is your best friend then. Luckily, I can still have the PS2 running, which was 100% backwards compatible.

My ps2 still runs as well, it's my game that is dead (we didn't have a game stop-like store to buy our games, so piracy was common), although I have to be careful with my ps2 since I have 2, one being modified and the other legit. It just fucking sucked to be an EU jrpg lover when half of your games didn't get a release.

 

Although at this point, I might be thinking of emulation for real. I hate emulation, but I know that it's important when games get suddenly removed so easily...and yeah I still prefer physical over digital for this very reason!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Darghel said:

My ps2 still runs as well, it's my game that is dead (we didn't have a game stop-like store to buy our games, so piracy was common), although I have to be careful with my ps2 since I have 2, one being modified and the other legit. It just fucking sucked to be an EU jrpg lover when half of your games didn't get a release.

 

Although at this point, I might be thinking of emulation for real. I hate emulation, but I know that it's important when games get suddenly removed so easily...and yeah I still prefer physical over digital for this very reason!

Well, yes, that's why I keep dumps of the old games I own. You can fit ps2 with an HDD anyway. And yes, emulation is the only preservation/legacy practice which effectively exists by looking back what Sony's doing.

PS: LoD is relatively cheap on ebay, btw.

Edited by aishsha
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aishsha said:

Well, yes, that's why I keep dumps of the old games I own. You can fit ps2 with an HDD anyway. And yes, emulation is the only preservation/legacy practice which effectively exists by looking back what Sony's doing.

PS: LoD is relatively cheap on ebay, btw.

What? I went to look a few hours ago, it's like 100 euros or something! The cheaper versions seems to be the JP ones I think, but Pal are I think the most expensive.

 

And yeah I know, It's the same with how Nintendo closed the virtual console, but I was never a big fan of Nintendo so it didn't affect me much. This time it does.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Darghel said:

What? I went to look a few hours ago, it's like 100 euros or something! The cheaper versions seems to be the JP ones I think, but Pal are I think the most expensive.

 

And yeah I know, It's the same with how Nintendo closed the virtual console, but I was never a big fan of Nintendo so it didn't affect me much. This time it does.

Action replay and US version. It's like 35$+

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.