WaddysWDS

Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

2,376 posts in this topic

New article by Kirk McKeand via TheGamer: https://www.thegamer.com/meet-the-developers-who-are-about-to-lose-their-ps-vita-games-forever/

"I spoke to a bunch of devs whose PS Vita games are about to be lost. Some are losing money, some will lose years of work, some are crunching to hit deadlines, and most found out about the closure through our initial report".

Like many people have said already, Sony handled this poorly. They should've warned the people developing games for Vita earlier or given them more time.

51 minutes ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

Out of curiosity, is there any information about how the wii store closure was handled?

I keep hearing that they handled that better than what Sony is doing now.

WiiStore was a staggered, but overall there was more notice.

- Closure announced September 2017

- Adding Wii Points stopped March 2018

- Purchases stopped January 2019

They were originally due to switch off the ability to download purchases in 2019 too, but I think that’s actually still up and running

1 hour ago, CL0CKW0RK133 said:

Out of curiosity, is there any information about how the wii store closure was handled?

I keep hearing that they handled that better than what Sony is doing now.

The good thing there is that you could have transfer all of your purchases to the newer console generation (WiiU). But for me it's the blast from the past. SCEI has been doing absolutely the same things Nintendo did once for me to leave their consoles behind for good.

Will this affect updating ps3 games on discs? Hopefully not, since I have bunch of them that I did not started yet.

1 minute ago, Radebe78 said:

Will this affect updating ps3 games on discs? Hopefully not, since I have bunch of them that I did not started yet.

As in downloading patches? There’s nothing in the announcement to suggest that it’ll be affected

That is exactly what I meant. First time inserting disc into ps3, old game and there is update 1.20 out there...hopefully this should still be working, since download of games will also work.

1 minute ago, Radebe78 said:

That is exactly what I meant. First time inserting disc into ps3, old game and there is update 1.20 out there...hopefully this should still be working, since download of games will also work.

That’s the logic I’m working on. Even if they were different servers (which they probably aren’t) they wouldn’t keep up the one that let you download games but kill the one hosting patches

Thats shit, the least sony could have done was give a hard cutoff date for submissions on vita thats a minimum 6 months before closure announcement. At least with ps3 there hasn't been a game released since august 2020, and developers had somewhere to go in event of ps3 submissions stopping. People still wanted to support the vita because sony refuses to make another handheld, and the fact that developers were still willing to make games for this damn thing tells me that the demand for another sony handheld was there(even if it wouldn't do switch numbers).

Posted (edited)

Anyone want to share what they plan on buying before the store shutdown? I'm planning on buying Ratchet Deadlocked, Metal Gear Rising VR Missions DLC and Dragon Age 2 DLC for a total of $39.95. I still have a few other games that I'm on the fence about getting the DLC for, like the AC4 multiplayer DLC, Shangri-La DLC pack for Black Ops 1, Mass Effect 2 DLC and Max Payne 3 DLC, which would bring my total up to $79.91. Though I likely won't go for the latter games because I can't really afford to drop an extra $40 for DLC that are way too expensive and don't really have a lot of content

Edited by BipolarBearTV

11 minutes ago, BipolarBearTV said:

Anyone want to share what they plan on buying before the store shutdown? I'm planning on buying Ratchet Deadlocked, Metal Gear Rising VR Missions DLC and Dragon Age 2 DLC for a total of $39.95. I still have a few other games that I'm on the fence about getting the DLC for, like the AC4 multiplayer DLC, Shangri-La DLC pack for Black Ops 1, Mass Effect 2 DLC and Max Payne 3 DLC, which would bring my total up to $79.91. Though I likely won't go for the latter games because I can't really afford to drop an extra $40 for DLC that are way too expensive and don't really have a lot of content

The conversation over here may be of interest to you... :) 

Posted (edited)

Anyone read if trophy support will still be available for Vita and PS3 games?

Edited by neobowler

13 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

The conversation over here may be of interest to you... :) 

Oops didn't know there was already a thread, thanks!

16 minutes ago, neobowler said:

Anyone read if trophy support will still be available for Vita and PS3 games?

Yeah, it will be. Some people are panicking that trophies getting switched off might be a “phase 2” but there’s nothing in the announcement to indicate that

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

She looked ancient! Why would anybody sleep with this?

Poor Jim had to stop using his prune stick after the sugar walls started to dry.😞

Posted (edited)

People seem to rag hard on Jim Ryan but nobody mentions that his superiors over at Sony of Japan themselves wanted the network to be shutdown and wanted the studio closures. Yoshida the CEO pretty much just uses Ryan as a proxy to micromanage.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

I feel bad for the vita developers that never had any type of notification of the closures while working on games

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

I feel bad for the vita developers that never had any type of notification of the closures while working on games

The Funny thing is they have audacity to still send developer units as if they were still going to support them.

I've neglected my Vita pretty bad.  Any must have recommendations that I should purchase before store closing?

48 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

Yeah, it will be. Some people are panicking that trophies getting switched off might be a “phase 2” but there’s nothing in the announcement to indicate that

The thing is, If they are giving 3 months notice for the store closure, how much time would they give for the closure of the syncing servers which 99% of the players couldn't care less about?

3 minutes ago, Sir_TyroneOBE said:

The Funny thing is they have audacity to still send developer units as if they were still going to support them.

With how expensive those devkits are, I'm not surprised. Gotta milk that money after all