Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

11 minutes ago, ccase137 said:

What I don't understand is why can't PS4 and PS5 at the very least play the PSone Classics from the Store, if the Vita and PSP can do it, there is no reason for those two consoles to not do it.  That's what I find weird.  Considering all the effort and time it took to build the PSone and PS2 Classics catalog up to this point (I remember when it was a huge deal to finally get Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Suikoden etc up), it feels like such a waste to throw it all away when it is as simple as Sony coding up a quick PS1 emulator on PS4 and PS5, and then continuing to make them available to sell in the new Store.

They don’t even need to code up an emulator for PS1 classics, they have a contract for one they already used for the Playstation Classic. They could easily have easily made it run on PS4 and PS5 and said “Some games won’t run right” with a minimum of effort. People would have then only bitched that they look like crap on their 4k resolution TVs. 

• Like 4

I think old emulation isn't going to be a major driving force behind any company winning favor. The switch has none and Xbox series X can only do 39 original xbox games, but they can't read anything from the disc and require to be connected to the Microsoft servers to have a download file. Which means when those servers go offline the series X loses it's backwards compatibility.

The PS3 being the most technologically obtuse doesn't help things either, but it makes sense for sony to cut it loose. if the PS4 needed all the stuff to run a PS3 it would have hampered the system's chances at success. The internal guts for the system are awful. Really the only actual hope is Emulation of the PS3 games or remakes. The PS3 was a technological dead end.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

25 minutes ago, ccase137 said:

What I don't understand is why can't PS4 and PS5 at the very least play the PSone Classics from the Store, if the Vita and PSP can do it, there is no reason for those two consoles to not do it.  That's what I find weird.  Considering all the effort and time it took to build the PSone and PS2 Classics catalog up to this point (I remember when it was a huge deal to finally get Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Suikoden etc up), it feels like such a waste to throw it all away when it is as simple as Sony coding up a quick PS1 emulator on PS4 and PS5, and then continuing to make them available to sell in the new Store.

"What a silly question! What PlayStation owner would like to play PlayStation games?! PS2? Yeah, best-selling console but 21 years old! And the ps1 I can't even count that high. Of course, we could easily distribute these games but looking at sales data Persona 3 FES hasn't sold a copy for 13 years no one wants to play old games!"- Jim Ryan one day

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I think old emulation isn't going to be a major driving force behind any company winning favor. The switch has none and Xbox series X can only do 39 original xbox games, but they can't read anything from the disc and require to be connected to the Microsoft servers to have a download file. Which means when those servers go offline the series X loses it's backwards compatibility.

The PS3 being the most technologically obtuse doesn't help things either, but it makes sense for sony to cut it loose. if the PS4 needed all the stuff to run a PS3 it would have hampered the system's chances at success. The internal guts for the system are awful. Really the only actual hope is Emulation of the PS3 games or remakes. The PS3 was a technological dead end.

Switch technically does, with its NES and SNES online catalogues, as well as the original Fire Emblem game running off their Wii U's NES emulator, and the Mario games in the 3D collection are also running on emulators, mostly. I think Nintendo at least will continue to offer their old as hell games for a long time, they just don't want people to "own" them any more because they probably make more profit off people buying their subscription service than people buying one or two SNES games like they want for £7 and that's it.

The PS3 having weird architecture is definitely going to make it very hard to emulate in the future, even the current PS3 emulator that does exist is kinda crap for running most games, it only really works on a game by game basis from what I hear, and of course most of the attention is going to go on getting the popular games like MGS4 working. Previous consoles that also used "unconventional" internal architecture are similarly difficult to emulate nowadays, like the Sega Saturn.

I kind of hope they remaster stuff but with the online components removed, I'd love to play through Killzone 1-3 and not having to deal with shit online servers and instead have the SP make up 100% of the achievements like the uncharted collection did.

Or how about a remake of Afrika which is currently very hard to find on the PS3 as well as Folklore.

4 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Switch technically does, with its NES and SNES online catalogues, as well as the original Fire Emblem game running off their Wii U's NES emulator, and the Mario games in the 3D collection are also running on emulators, mostly. I think Nintendo at least will continue to offer their old as hell games for a long time, they just don't want people to "own" them any more because they probably make more profit off people buying their subscription service than people buying one or two SNES games like they want for £7 and that's it.

The PS3 having weird architecture is definitely going to make it very hard to emulate in the future, even the current PS3 emulator that does exist is kinda crap for running most games, it only really works on a game by game basis from what I hear, and of course most of the attention is going to go on getting the popular games like MGS4 working. Previous consoles that also used "unconventional" internal architecture are similarly difficult to emulate nowadays, like the Sega Saturn.

I wouldn't count the NES games as any form of backwards compatibility they're digital online only and Nintendo just took fire emblem and the 3 mario games down because of an arbitrary date.

The NES and SNES Classics are better in terms of offerings than what Nintendo currently has on it's online service.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

PS3 emulation is quite impressive these days RPCS3 Emulator Turns Old PS3 Games Into Works of Art - ExtremeTech
Those dudes are fine-tuning it for most popular games but still, Demon's Souls in 60 fps? Even PS5 can't run Demon's Souls remake in 60 fps properly, only in performance mode.

And all of that is done by enthusiasts using reverse-engineering without any official documentation on PS3 hardware/software.

Edited by KingSkovald
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

PS3 emulation is quite impressive these days RPCS3 Emulator Turns Old PS3 Games Into Works of Art - ExtremeTech
Those dudes are fine-tuning it for most popular games but still, Demon's Souls in 60 fps? Even PS5 can't run Demon's Souls remake in 60 fps properly, only in performance mode.

And all of that is done by enthusiasts using reverse-engineering without any official documentation on PS3 hardware/software.

Yeah, Sony speaks in the ancient dialect of bullshit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Those examples are few and far between though. There's a ton of PS3 stuff that runs like crap or not at all and it's certainly not on the level of other emulators.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

33 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I kind of hope they remaster stuff but with the online components removed, I'd love to play through Killzone 1-3 and not having to deal with shit online servers and instead have the SP make up 100% of the achievements like the uncharted collection did.

Or how about a remake of Afrika which is currently very hard to find on the PS3 as well as Folklore.

Yes to all of this. Online-based achievements suck all around imo. Wish devs would get rid of them altogether unless the base game is mostly (or entirely) online. 

And agreed, haven’t managed to get Afrika yet (want it) and would love a Folklore remake. It’s such a beautiful game and would look even more impressive on new systems. It also never got trophies. 

I’d also love remakes of all the original Tomb Raider games (I actually liked Anniversary a lot), a remake of Persona 3 Portable, and if I’m being super hopeful (AKA, none of these are likely to happen for multiple reasons), remakes of: the first two Shadow Hearts games and Koudelka, the Parasite Eve games, Chulip, Haunting Ground, Clock Tower 3, Rule of Rose, Kuon, the entire Silent Hill series, and the first 3 Fatal Frame games (would like remakes of 4 & 5 too but currently, Nintendo would have to do those-and might have exclusive ownership of the first three now as well, I don’t know).

Honestly, remaking (or even just remastering and adding trophy support for) some of the above games exclusively for PS5 is one of the few ways Sony could convince me to buy their new console. But I highly doubt any of the above remakes/remasters will happen.  

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I'd love a sequel.  Could settle for a remaster, but the original was pretty clunky.

9 hours ago, Lem-77 said:

That's fair. I am keeping my expectations in check regarding all of this. With that being said, I looked around and found someone who started a petition when the rumors started regarding all of this.

http://chng.it/nxcPxyHGHW

I don't know if anyone else wishes to start another one as well, now that the news is official as well.

Signed the petition just saddened that I never gotten to playing the PS3 early due to studies and work but hey at least we have xbox to thank for

14 hours ago, JaneAusten69 said:

I've neglected my Vita pretty bad.  Any must have recommendations that I should purchase before store closing?

Depends on what genre(s) you like, and whether or not you plan to use your Vita on-the-go.

I'll start by saying that if you like JRPGs, Persona 4 Golden is a Vita exclusive (at least when it comes to PS consoles).  Best game I've ever played, and I played it for the first time in 2020, so nostalgia is not a factor in this statement.

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, U4oloG said:
I calculated how much money I need to buy some games on vita - I will need $ 1000+. This is a lot for the Russian gamer. And this does not include games that cost $ 50+. And this must be done before August 2. I don't think I want to be a part of this.?

I feel your pain. To get everything I want, will cost at least £3-400 so sacrifices will have to be made :(.

4 hours ago, yuber1234 said:

Depends on what genre(s) you like, and whether or not you plan to use your Vita on-the-go.

I'll start by saying that if you like JRPGs, Persona 4 Golden is a Vita exclusive (at least when it comes to PS consoles).  Best game I've ever played, and I played it for the first time in 2020, so nostalgia is not a factor in this statement.

100% agree with this. I only got my Vita a year ago specifically so I could play Persona 4 Golden, and it is hands down one of the best games I ever played

• Like 3

I need to spend around £300-£350 for everything that I need. I already spent £50 today & I'll spend another £50 next week.

For those who don't have much money, buy only what you think it's completely necessary. Don't spend what you don't have.

For those who are wondering how to re-download already purchased stuff after the shotdown, do the following:

At XMB, highlight Playstation Network & choose Account Management->Transaction Management->Download List. There will be everything that you ever downloaded (except Themes).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KingSkovald said:

This is one of the most impressive ones, goes from single frame slideshow to 60 fps 4K

• Like 3

Just checked asuras wrath retail copies English copies are selling close to £80(could find them at 30 a few months ago) the only cheap ones are Japanese and oddly Spanish ones I'm already making a physical priority list for the games I need to buy first(at reasonable prices). Might have to invest in some promo copies lol

Edited by Sir_TyroneOBE

1 hour ago, CaptainMonkster said:

My opinion is that's a matter of time before legacy emulation comes to ps5 and possibly ps4. Here's hoping anyway!

While I hope for this too, I just wonder how it will be implemented. I would hope PS3 PSN or PS3 DLC purchases would appear for it based on a person's account but everything I've seen with the new store layout makes that seem impossible.

If it's disc based emulation, that's less of a problem (just pop it and the PS5 recognizes it as a PS3 game).

But so far with PS5, Sony hasn't given me any confidence.