Solo Survival Mode Guide

I would not recommend fighting the Unclean One by hiding in the pot in solo survival unless you're very confident with his attacks and the dodge timings.  He has a much more difficult move set to deal with when you fight him on the bottom floor after hiding in the pot.  He doesn't summon adds but his ground slam attack is very tricky to dodge correctly because he can chain it like 2 to 4 times and fake you out with different slam timings in addition to throwing his weapon at you after the final slam which comes rather abruptly after he finishes.  It is really easy to die to that attack if you mess up because he won't give you time to heal.  He also has some backward swings that come abruptly after certain moves.  Finally, he will throw his weapon at you after doing his 360 spin attack which is difficult to avoid if you don't have him clearly on your camera when he decides to stop spinning so you can dodge it properly.

If you fight him upstairs he only summons adds if you break the pots.. and even still it only allows for 2 or 3 to be in the fight at one time so if more pots break it doesn't matter if you haven't slain the adds yet.  If you have summons of your own they are no trouble at all to deal with.  His move set is extremely simplified up top though as he will never smash the ground or do abrupt follow up attacks after whiffing his swipes, belly bash, weapon throw or 360 spin move (just run in circles around the edge of the room to avoid that).  I usually just stand mid range and wait for him to throw his weapon at me then just run behind him to shoot his bum.

Also some additional tips for Riphide if you don't have Ricochet Rifle: explosive shot (labyrinth vendor) or wildfire shot (from scald and sear) are very strong against him in phase 2 or 3, particle accelerator is also pretty good if you have it from Claviger, the hive cannon from Ixillis has a long lasting aoe mod which is helpful,  or using heavy armor like Leto's and a melee hammer is also an option if you don't have any of the other stuff I mentioned.  If you don't have any good armor or aoe capabilities then you will probably need some luck to survive or just restart and make sure you've got something for him in case he spawns next time.

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Elegy said:

I would not recommend fighting the Unclean One by hiding in the pot in solo survival unless you're very confident with his attacks and the dodge timings.  He has a much more difficult move set to deal with when you fight him on the bottom floor after hiding in the pot.  He doesn't summon adds but his ground slam attack is very tricky to dodge correctly because he can chain it like 2 to 4 times and fake you out with different slam timings in addition to throwing his weapon at you after the final slam which comes rather abruptly after he finishes.  It is really easy to die to that attack if you mess up because he won't give you time to heal.  He also has some backward swings that come abruptly after certain moves.  Finally, he will throw his weapon at you after doing his 360 spin attack which is difficult to avoid if you don't have him clearly on your camera when he decides to stop spinning so you can dodge it properly.

If you fight him upstairs he only summons adds if you break the pots.. and even still it only allows for 2 or 3 to be in the fight at one time so if more pots break it doesn't matter if you haven't slain the adds yet.  If you have summons of your own they are no trouble at all to deal with.  His move set is extremely simplified up top though as he will never smash the ground or do abrupt follow up attacks after whiffing his swipes, belly bash, weapon throw or 360 spin move (just run in circles around the edge of the room to avoid that).  I usually just stand mid range and wait for him to throw his weapon at me then just run behind him to shoot his bum.

Also some additional tips for Riphide if you don't have Ricochet Rifle: explosive shot (labyrinth vendor) or wildfire shot (from scald and sear) are very strong against him in phase 2 or 3, particle accelerator is also pretty good if you have it from Claviger, the hive cannon from Ixillis has a long lasting aoe mod which is helpful,  or using heavy armor like Leto's and a melee hammer is also an option if you don't have any of the other stuff I mentioned.  If you don't have any good armor or aoe capabilities then you will probably need some luck to survive or just restart and make sure you've got something for him in case he spawns next time.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your point about the Unclean one, I just far prefer the open area with no mobs downstairs. I think he’s fairly generous with his timings but you are right, he can easily catch you off guard. 

Regarding explosive shot, I killed myself with that the first time I used it so I never bought it again ? 

• Like 1

I was able to get really lucky on my 6th or so solo survival run attempt. The first 5 I died to the first boss. Using the typewriter and iron sentinel, I just barely beat the bell-spear dude in Yaesha. However, around the 3 wave, I was able to get two pieces of Leto and the nightmare spiral, and I was basically able to outheal damage dealt to me for the rest of the game, especially once I got the third leto piece and the alchemist's jewel. Hot shot/beam rifle definitely helped too.

Again, while the item pool does seem to be somewhat limited, I got really lucky to get what I did as early as I did.

• Like 1

Luck is definitely the thing. Luck in getting a good initial selection. Luck in getting a good first boss or two. Luck in finding people who can shoot in coop. Luck in having a stable connection so it doesn’t crash. Luck in not getting instakilled by something random. And luck in retaining the ability to not make a single mistake on that 87th run that’s going well.

Out of about 20 hours of runs so far I’ve made it to boss 6 once, next best was boss 3 two or three times. Pretty much every other time killed by first boss. And all the successful runs involved somebody having the richochet rifle. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobthecrazydog said:

Luck is definitely the thing. Luck in getting a good initial selection. Luck in getting a good first boss or two. Luck in finding people who can shoot in coop. Luck in having a stable connection so it doesn’t crash. Luck in not getting instakilled by something random. And luck in retaining the ability to not make a single mistake on that 87th run that’s going well.

Out of about 20 hours of runs so far I’ve made it to boss 6 once, next best was boss 3 two or three times. Pretty much every other time killed by first boss. And all the successful runs involved somebody having the richochet rifle. 

A lot of those issues are sorted if you play solo though :D 

Like I mentioned, I was consistently getting to 10+ when grinding for glowing fragments. You can cut a lot of the luck stuff by playing solo and re-rolling the labyrinth shop by loading in and out until they sell the ricochet rifle. The lower boss HP in solo is worth playing without others of you want to clear 10 bosses. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, N1NJ4_V4MP1R3 said:

A lot of those issues are sorted if you play solo though :D 

Like I mentioned, I was consistently getting to 10+ when grinding for glowing fragments. You can cut a lot of the luck stuff by playing solo and re-rolling the labyrinth shop by loading in and out until they sell the ricochet rifle. The lower boss HP in solo is worth playing without others of you want to clear 10 bosses. 

Yeah I get that. My luck on solo so far has been pretty atrocious though. I got the rifle a couple of times and still died to the first boss. Just venting my frustrations. ?

Edit: one thing I should do is host more. At least if it crashes for others I might still carry on. 

Edited by bobthecrazydog
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bobthecrazydog said:

Yeah I get that. My luck on solo so far has been pretty atrocious though. I got the rifle a couple of times and still died to the first boss. Just venting my frustrations. 1f601.png

Edit: one thing I should do is host more. At least if it crashes for others I might still carry on. 

The net code for this game isn't very good sadly so doing survival in coop is usually harder than doing it solo if you have any below average players on your team.  2 player is easier than solo if both players are good at the game, but otherwise the increased latency, enemy damage and enemy life just makes it a lot harder and I find it near impossible to carry people.  I often can't successfully dodge attacks during multiplayer sessions that would otherwise never hit me when I play alone so I tend to prefer to stay back due to the laggy damage frames.  I've never had a successful 3 player group yet when doing random games so I would just not bother at all there.  Maybe if all 3 players are great at the game, but you don't gain anything over just doing it with 2 good players.

You don't have to have the ricochet rifle either.  It is a good weapon but it is by no means necessary to do survival solo.  I did it solo without getting it until just before the 10th wave just in time for Riphide where it shines the most.  Prior to that I only used the assault rifle.  If you're good at all the bosses then you can be successful with almost any weapon.  The assault rifle/beam rifle/chicago typewriter are all pretty good all around weapons if you cant get the ricochet rifle (these 3 guns also make Ixillis a lot easier since you can break his channeled roar attack very easily).  Sniper rifle/crossbow are great if you are a good shot and the shotgun is also very strong in the right circumstances.  If you have turrets/summons and some strong mods like wildfire shot/hot shot/swarm to deal burst damage you can crush most bosses before they really do much of anything.  Memorizing when adds spawn and how many there are at a time also negates a lot of the necessity of the ricochet rifle during most boss fights.  It has relatively low DPS against everything except Riphide; I consider it more of a defensive weapon against crowds of stuff myself.

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 2

This guide helped me a lot. I agree 100% that the Ricochet Rifle is a MUST. I personally equipped Iron Sentinel on my main and the doggo on my secondary. I found that it was easier to keep my turrets flowing during boss fights and like you said the doggo regen is a never a factor, even on the secondary. 

However, if you have soul link(this was a must for me as well) I found that Iron Sentinel/Beckon worked better for boss fights. Since you have 2 turrets and 2 skulls out doing constant damage and giving you health back. At times it was almost unfair how fast my health came back after taking damage... and they destroy bosses. 

I appreciate this guide a lot. 

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 9:39 AM, RubenRP995 said:

The best tip no one mentions: beam rifle + swarm. You will melt every boss.

That one is good but you need luck to encounter the boss that drops swarm.

Finally did it today, two player. We had had a previous good run with three players but rolled Ixillis on stage 9 and got wiped. Then next run with two made it to boss 11, dream eater took us out. But made it! 

All the the tips helped but pretty much it came down to not encountering splitter, dream eater or Ixillis in the good run. Only took about 100 attempts. ?

• Like 2

This mode is utter bulls*it. Irritating to the core and unbalanced as hell. No skill helps you here where every frikin thing is random and when bosses one shot you, same thing when mobs attack all at once all of a sudden and boom, you re done. Hours wasted.... For what? 

And I dont know what is fun about this mode that if you somehow survive first 3 bosses you re golden and have chance to get to 15th boss not 10th, I thought this should be the other way around. 

Edited by Ptirle

Well I finally did it solo! Bad luck with mods, played until round 9 with Seed Caller from the Mangler on the Ricochet and the exploding bugs on my pistol. Got the dog on round 9 and the turrets on round 10. 

I had the Dream Eater as my first boss and I was pretty lucky having the exploding bugs, they damage the boss even when he's invisible. I was lucky enough to avoid the splitter, the barbed terror or Ixilis.

@N1NJ4_V4MP1R3 if you want to add this to the guide, I've managed to glitch the Ravager everytime. Just shoot him from the fog gate as you enter and you'll see the animation like a couple steps down the ground, and he'll be glitched without moving, easy! I don't know if it'll work for everyone, but worked for me everytime. 

• Like 1

Man, I just want to say thank you for this guide. I got the dominator trophy on my first try, even though I didn’t even turn off subject 2923 DLC, actually had dream eater first and erfor second boss. I never killed those bosses beforehand and I never even met 4 out of 6 bosses I got in my run but I shredded through the whole thing.

My starting build was Chicago typewriter and the turret mod. I was lucky enough to grab some cultist gear early and the ring that lifesteals from summons damage.

got the doggo around world 3-4 and I think I was even under leveled pretty much all the time as I spent a lot of time looking everywhere in the first 5 worlds of so for gear and tomes I ended up being level 19 against ennemies level 26.

After world 6 I focused my build on survivability with 2 part Leto 1 part cultist (for summon duration and auto recharge) and HP consumables / erzan ring and honestly I think I could have kept going a few more worlds quite easily. 

again, I really had no knowledge of bosses (you can check my psnprofile I popped the ravager boss trophy 1 hour or so before dominator) so if I got there that easily, don’t give up, solo looks actually way easier than coop even with the revival option

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rqsb_ said:

Man, I just want to say thank you for this guide. I got the dominator trophy on my first try, even though I didn’t even turn off subject 2923 DLC, actually had dream eater first and erfor second boss. I never killed those bosses beforehand and I never even met 4 out of 6 bosses I got in my run but I shredded through the whole thing.

My starting build was Chicago typewriter and the turret mod. I was lucky enough to grab some cultist gear early and the ring that lifesteals from summons damage.

got the doggo around world 3-4 and I think I was even under leveled pretty much all the time as I spent a lot of time looking everywhere in the first 5 worlds of so for gear and tomes I ended up being level 19 against ennemies level 26.

After world 6 I focused my build on survivability with 2 part Leto 1 part cultist (for summon duration and auto recharge) and HP consumables / erzan ring and honestly I think I could have kept going a few more worlds quite easily. 

again, I really had no knowledge of bosses (you can check my psnprofile I popped the ravager boss trophy 1 hour or so before dominator) so if I got there that easily, don’t give up, solo looks actually way easier than coop even with the revival option

• 4 bosses, you never met before.
  • By level 5 ok .. by level 5 ... the enemy level was ahead of you 26 to 19.
  • And "I really had no knowledge of bosses" 
  • solo
  • first, try

hmmmmmm

• Like 1

Okay maybe i was unclear with what first try meant. I did a solo run once and died before the first boss, then played maybe 6-7 public lobbies, with only one killing the first boss, this was my getting acquainted to the mode and rule set period

then I decided to actually go for the trophy and the first try after taking that decision and reading this post, I got it.

you can check my psnprofile Rqsb_ im still progressing on the game right now, I haven’t even finished the main story trophies lol i literally booted the game for the first time 4 days ago

its not even like you could cheat in this mode, there is no save scumming possible or anything

Ennemy was level 26 and I was level 19 at the time the trophy popped, not at world 5.

The only bugged thing that played to my advantage was that the wolf boss got somehow stuck in the floor and wasnt moving for me so it was pretty much a free one (though I wasted 5 minutes before that trying to figure out the bell puzzle thing because I thought you had to do it to trigger the boss fight, I didn’t notice the wolf hanging out in the cave ...)

i know it sounds silly but it’s true

wish I had saved the whole thing

my point is pretty much everyone can beat it with this build of summons with lifesteal and I would actually recommend taking more time to loot everything in worlds 1 to 4 instead of rushing. The first pieces of the build are paramount to the snowballing and the extra tomes are worth the time too (I guess bark skin as high as possible is a must have once you switch to Leto)

if some people want to try some coop games I can try helping and sharing my experience as long as I haven’t switched to another game, just hit me up on psn 

Good luck !

edit : I’m kind of confused about a small part of the guide but the trait « siphoner » is a subject 2923 specific trait and I don’t know if deleting the dlc would disable the ability to roll this trait but if it does, I would maybe advise against disabling the DLC. I got the walrus boss second and just running around the turrets would both destroy everything AND heal me like crazy at the same time. Really just try it you’ll see how freaking easy this is! 

Edited by Rqsb_
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide, thank you!  I usually failed early like most people, but on the one run I got the Ricochet Rifle and Doggo right at the start, I went all the way to wave 13.  Got lucky with both Soul rings and the amulet by round 2, and got Beckon on round 3.

On round 9 I had to fight Ixillis.  I swapped out the Ricochet Rifle for the Hunting Rifle with the Turret mod, and butchered the boss using the Skull/Turret combo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Iker_01 said:

Just wanted to say thank you. Your guide is excellent and it took me only a couple of tries to get the trophy. Thanks a lot!

Awesome, I’m delighted! Even with a guide it requires a lot of skill to get it in a short time so well done!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...