Will Official PlayStation Rarity be Used Now?

BlindMango
Go to solution Solved by Sly Ripper,

Hey Sly, I'm sure you've heard the news that Sony will FINALLY be putting rarity in percentage form on the PS4 (It's already on the PlayStation iPhone/Android app to see right now in all its glory!) - I was curious when looking at this new feature if you'd be implementing those official rarity stats on PSN Profiles to replace the rarity system used now? Seeing as the rarity percentage is official, the numbers are (supposed to be) truly 100% accurate now, so it would make sense to use those numbers now, right? Or would that data not be accessible like other stats are and would adding it be too much trouble than it's worth? Just thought I'd throw the idea out there to see what people thinks of it! ;)

Part of me wonders about adding it, sure it would line up nicely and accurately with official numbers, but would it cause too many "0.1% rarity trophies" and be less accurate among the users of this site to gauge the rarity better for example? 

Edited by BlindMango

Hey Sly, I'm sure you've heard the news that Sony will FINALLY be putting rarity in percentage form on the PS4 (It's already on the PlayStation iPhone/Android app to see right now in all its glory!) - I was curious when looking at this new feature if you'd be implementing those official rarity stats on PSN Profiles to replace the rarity system used now? Seeing as the rarity percentage is official, the numbers are (supposed to be) truly 100% accurate now, so it would make sense to use those numbers now, right? Or would that data not be accessible like other stats are and would adding it be too much trouble than it's worth? Just thought I'd throw the idea out there to see what people thinks of it! ;)

Part of me wonders about adding it, sure it would line up nicely and accurately with official numbers, but would it cause too many "0.1% rarity trophies" and be less accurate among the users of this site to gauge the rarity better for example? 

I highly doubt they'll be 100% accurate, because I also doubt Sony cares about hackers, and won't bother removing them. That'll give false statistics, whereas this site is the closest you can get to accurate because hackers are removed here (12,000+ since PSNP started :o )

Doubt it by a long-shot, I have found a few problems with the Sony's rarity scale. Some examples are shown below:

- It counts EVERYBODY who has played it including those who have 0% trophy progress for the game therefore making the rarity much more rarer. For example, Sound Shapes plat on the Sony rarity is 20% while its 40% here despite the list being super easy.

- Hackers are counted in Sony's one, therefore making it even more inaccurate. For example, FFXIV-A Realm Reborn actually has a 0.1% plat chance even though the game is currently unplattable (please explain that Sony?).

- Only a small amount of PSN users are Trophy Hunters, it's basically used to say "Oh hey, some of my plats are ultra rare even though there are heaps of people who don't go for trophies in this game". One good example of this is COD: Ghosts, 90% of players get it for the MP and therefore can make just about most trophies rare/ultra rare.

Basically, what Sly has here is much more accurate since he tries to get rid of hackers and exploiters while only counting people who really hunt trophies (as in loading their trophy progress onto this website) as opposed to casual players who have no clue what a trophy is.

• Like 4

Doubt it by a long-shot, I have found a few problems with the Sony's rarity scale. Some examples are shown below:

- It counts EVERYBODY who has played it including those who have 0% trophy progress for the game therefore making the rarity much more rarer. For example, Sound Shapes plat on the Sony rarity is 20% while its 40% here despite the list being super easy.

- Hackers are counted in Sony's one, therefore making it even more inaccurate. For example, FFXIV-A Realm Reborn actually has a 0.1% plat chance even though the game is currently unplattable (please explain that Sony?).

- Only a small amount of PSN users are Trophy Hunters, it's basically used to say "Oh hey, some of my plats are ultra rare even though there are heaps of people who don't go for trophies in this game". One good example of this is COD: Ghosts, 90% of players get it for the MP and therefore can make just about most trophies rare/ultra rare.

Basically, what Sly has here is much more accurate since he tries to get rid of hackers and exploiters while only counting people who really hunt trophies (as in loading their trophy progress onto this website) as opposed to casual players who have no clue what a trophy is.

PSNP, to me knowledge, counts people who have 0% in the rarity too. Take Ico for example: The first trophy you get is the one for saving Yorda. There is no way around getting that one first. Yet it isn't 100% rarity, because not everyone has played that far.

PSNP, to me knowledge, counts people who have 0% in the rarity too. Take Ico for example: The first trophy you get is the one for saving Yorda. There is no way around getting that one first. Yet it isn't 100% rarity, because not everyone has played that far.

Ah I didn't know that haha. :P

The official rarity values should be used in my opinion.

The accuracy will be massivly higher than the ones currently available on this site, even with hackers, as the total number of players will be correct, not just based on who uses the site.

It will also take account of 0% players, and will remove the issue this site has of not counting dlc trophies unless the person has already earned one in the dlc pack, therefore artificially reducing the rarity of them.

There will also be the issue of simple confusion. The reason sites like this one have rarity values is because Sony didn't do it on PSN. Now that they do, those official values will always be more accurate.

I don't want to know I'm better than just other trophy hunters, I want to know im better than everyone! :D

Yeah, that last line you said is how I feel, but I just hope with the PS4, Sony gets rid of hackers so we have very accurate rarity values. :D

• Like 1

As Bloodmoney says the rarity used by Sony will be more accurate than any trophy statistic site currently in use, the fact that all users will be tracked (I'm guessing) will far outweigh the skewing of values that the small percentage of cheats can cause.

• Like 4

Whats the name of the app? im checkin on my iphone and cant see anything, Sony Official. 

You are assuming that Sony's statistic will be accurate.

I have some doubts about DLCs for example. Will they account only for people who purchased the DLC, or for everyone who has the main game just because the trophy lists gets updated patching the game, and not while installing the DLC itself?

You know, this site accounts only for people who at least have a trophy in the DLCs.

You are assuming that Sony's statistic will be accurate.I have some doubts about DLCs for example. Will they account only for people who purchased the DLC, or for everyone who has the main game just because the trophy lists gets updated patching the game, and not while installing the DLC itself?You know, this site accounts only for people who at least have a trophy in the DLCs.

Sony's stats are accurate, I checked the Metro Last Light ranger mode trophies.

On this site it is 100% and therefore supercommon, since there are only two trophies and so to count as played someone has to have received at minimum the lower tier one.

In reality (on Sony metric) the rarity is 1.5%, and therefore Ultrarare.

I realise this is an extreme example, but it illustates how far out of whack the rarities on this site are from the true rarity values.

I hope not i enjoy seeing actual trophy hunter stats like the InFamous plat is considered a 2% ultra rare trophy on the app where as it's like 15% here i think. 15% out of actual like minded trophy hunters means more than 2% out of everybody who has ever installed the game

• Like 1

Sony's stats are accurate, I checked the Metro Last Light ranger mode trophies.

On this site it is 100% and therefore supercommon, since there are only two trophies and so to count as played someone has to have received at minimum the lower tier one.

In reality (on Sony metric) the rarity is 1.5%, and therefore Ultrarare.

I realise this is an extreme example, but it illustates how far out of whack the rarities on this site are from the true rarity values.

To me that 1.5% seems more like based on all people who onw the game, not on who owns the dlc.

It's not. If someone didn't buy the DLC it shouldn't be accounted in the total.

The userbase it's differente and the stat would be incorrect.

If not then you should account ALL PSN players for every base game even if they don't have it, because they could buy said game sooner or later.

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 1

It's not a matter of wanting the S rank or not.

It's a piece of software that you have to buy separately (unless a goty comes out) and this means a LOT of peope will not buy it, hence the rarity of said trophies should be valued with the usebase who purchased the software.

If 10000 people have the game and only 10 of them got the plat, the plat is owned by 0,1% users.

If the same game has a DLC and only 100 people bought it and then only 1 has got a trophy of said DLC the rarity should be 1%, not 0,01%.

The userbase is different. 0,01% is a biased value.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys, man there really are a lot of good reasons for doing and not doing it! Sly says "doubt it" because all of the trophies look rare and there's a much smaller gauge for you to judge rarity, which does make sense to me, however it's nice to finally have official rarity from Sony. Also, I agree, Sony really, really needs to start setting up a system to detect cheaters if they start adding more trophy features - I mean, look how the greatness awaits trophy auction really turned their world upside down when realizing cheaters were present there, haha

Anyways, thanks for the response Sly and everyone else, I was curious about this =P

Edited by BlindMango

Oh here we go again... Where are my ultra rare dlc trophies !! :|

It was a simple question from blindmango, and a simple answer from Sly...

Whether to use sony numbers or not have nothing to do with this site counting people with dlc or overall players, and that thread was done to death and had to be locked. Lets hope it doesnt go that way on this one...

• Like 1