Stupid/Bizarre Things in PS Games

baboon_overlord

Just for fun, list things in PS games that are stupid.

These things generally make me laugh as they make almost zero sense. Some of my favorites:

- Press Start to Continue - you can actually press any button

- Epilepsy Warning: IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE use and consult your physician before resuming gameplay. If you or your child experience any of the following health problems or symptoms:Altered vision - the warnings are white text on a black background, which cause altered vision by reading them

- Are you sure you want to quit? Any unsaved data will be lost - I literally just saved my game dude

Please post your favorites. ?

11 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

- Are you sure you want to quit? Any unsaved data will be lost - I literally just saved my game dude

I hate that, it always makes me doubt myself

A few games show the timestamp of your most recent savegame alongside that message, which is nice

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

I hate that, it always makes me doubt myself

Me too.I have mild OCD which is bad when it comes to checking if the door is locked, but good when it comes to open world games. I agree, I often resave the game DESPITE knowing I just saved it. Urgh.

Some more examples (admittedly some of these are not PS exclusive):

- NPC shops: THEY'RE MASTERWORKS ALL YOU CAN'T GO WRONG - all the fking time. Damn you Dragon's Dogma

- NPC Shops - all the NPCs have the same basic character model - why?

- "Can't wait to get back in the fight" - Dragon Age Inquisition - did anyone test this shit? Why do NPCs feel the need to repeat lines of dialogue every five seconds? Why won't you let me kill them and spare us all the annoyance?

- Red Dead 2: Maybe unique to me, but trading with the Trapper in the extreme west of the map. Me - here you go mate, have some....AAAARRRRGH....my face is being ripped off by a grizzly, despite me being in the store....Trapper, Ah, I see you've brought some trouble in tow, best I'm off now....dude I thought you were some legendary hunter please can you save me from having my face ripped off?Trapper - I'm out of here. Cheers dude.

Edited by baboon_overlord

In Sparkle Unleashed every time you fail a level it gives you a tip.  When playing on nightmare difficulty, you'll fail enough that you'll see all of them multiple times.  Thing is, about half of them are outright incorrect.  Here's some examples:

"Press X to swap orbs in the slinger" - this is incorrect because you press O to swap them

"Have two of the same color in the slinger, press X to unload them quickly" - never works, only seems to work when the game glitches and I don't want it to do this.

"If you're having trouble with a level change the powerups you have assigned..." - in nightmare difficulty skill is only about 50% of what you need at best (I'd honestly be more inclined to say luck is upwards of 75-90% of what nightmare difficulty needs).  There are some categories of powerups that have nothing useful and if you have the bad luck to keep getting these, you'll have trouble with the level.  Beating a level is about having enough luck to get good powerups when you need them, getting the slinger to have the right color of orbs, not missing, and being able to have this last for the whole stage.

There's a few others I don't recall the exact wording on, like it saying that Wrath of the Moon targets single orbs in wrong spots when they are available (it doesn't, tried plenty of times and had it mess things up worse) or it saying that Spark Blast is a powerful and useful powerup (it's not, it usually makes things worse).  These "tips" are just downright terrible.

• Like 1

Not specifically Playstation, but it irritates me to no end when the maximum volume for music in racing games is so quiet that the only way to make it audible is to throttle (heh) the other sound effects down really far and adjust the system volume. Then I get earblasted when I switch games that actually have decent volume control.

Like, have no racing game developers considered the possibility that people who play racing games actually enjoy being able to hear music instead of just deafening engine screeching? What the fuck dude.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Games that only allow you to have one save slot always asking if you're sure you want to overwrite your save. Well, you don't give me much choice here now, do you?
  • Games that start with the whole "characters are a work of fiction, any similarities to real persons is purely coincidental", and then the game literally has characters of people that have actually existed. Like real historical figures.
  • The whole idea of "over encumberment" in games, especially the ones where you literally can't move at all any more. I'm already carrying 5 sets of armour and multiple weapons, but if I add a small knife, I suddenly can't do anything any more? Still remember the rather hilarious scenario where I was playing Oblivion many years ago, picked up a literal piece of garbage during one of the DLCs, and bam, suddenly over encumbered.
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 3:12 PM, SuperSmexy500 said:
  • Games that only allow you to have one save slot always asking if you're sure you want to overwrite your save. Well, you don't give me much choice here now, do you?
  • Games that start with the whole "characters are a work of fiction, any similarities to real persons is purely coincidental", and then the game literally has characters of people that have actually existed. Like real historical figures.
  • The whole idea of "over encumberment" in games, especially the ones where you literally can't move at all any more. I'm already carrying 5 sets of armour and multiple weapons, but if I add a small knife, I suddenly can't do anything any more? Still remember the rather hilarious scenario where I was playing Oblivion many years ago, picked up a literal piece of garbage during one of the DLCs, and bam, suddenly over encumbered.

This is an actual legendary post.

1) I haven't experienced the first one, but I really REALLY hate games that have a single fixed save slot which you can't add to. I've just been playing Assassin's Creed 2 and have been backing up my saves religiously to the PS+ cloud in case anything glitches. I posted on the "PS3 games not downloading patches" thread because of this. I know there were patches but the game wouldn't even try to update. I have no idea if, like books, games were "reissued" at a later date with patches - presumably they would if sales were good - but I didn't want to take the chance.

2) On your second point: Games that start with the whole "characters are a work of fiction" - my favourite is The Lord of the Rings movies - they start with this whole disclaimer.

Dear Warner Brothers,

My client, Mr. Sauron, is absolutely appalled that his good name has been besmirched by your movies. Living in the rolling hills and pastures of his residence of "Mordor", he has had numerous incidents of his windows being smashed, and eggs thrown at his door, by little people (here on in known as "children"). Despite several of his groundskeepers being somewhat unusual in appearance, this has led to these children calling them "Orcs".  

I hereby ask you to withdraw all your multi-billion dollar works for the good of my client.

Cheers Boss.

Yours respectfully,

Saruman & Saruman, Attorneys at Law. 

3) The whole idea of "over encumberment" in games

I agree this is bullshit. I think the game this affected me most with was Witcher 3, where you could raid Skellige. I also recall Skyrim being a pain in this regard. The biggest problem in those games was that merchants had a fixed amount of cash, so in addition to having to put up with carrying too much stuff, you also had to go to multiple shops to unload your loot.

These systems need improving, I agree.

But this is nothing compared to Dragon Age: Inquisition. I, The Inquisitor, the only Saviour of the Universe, basically the Holy Emperor Pope Messiah, am the only one in my vast Kingdom that can pick herbs. No-one else can pick herbs. Even when I go to the garden that *I* specifically asked to be planted, could anyone of the layabout peasants sitting there all day be bothered to pick herbs. When I consult with my Advisors, all they can manage is six of a herb to be delivered. I can do that myself in one dangerous mission to kill a dragon! 

I might as well just kill everyone and pick herbs all day myself!

AAARRGH!

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 6:30 AM, BestUsername---- said:

In Devil May Cry 3 you could unlock Easy Mode by being bad at the game :  gaming

This scenario was, actually, useful to me once in Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

The mission where you had to rescue Quiet and there were about a billion tanks was impossible unless you had the XOF (or whatever, I'm not a MGS nerd) invincibility shit, so this mission was basically impossible without the chicken hat.

Like most things to do with Kojima, I never thought I would type these words in this order.