Sony Wants To Bring Shenmue To PlayStation

Goro

Sony's Adam Boyes has explained that the company is working on getting fans the games they want on PlayStation platforms and that includes the likes of Shenmue and Yakuza.

"When we started the third-party production team, it was born out of necessity. We had a lot of publishers and a lot of content that had come out for various platforms and various territories that weren't necessarily coming to our territory, platforms we'd love to see them on," Boyes told Kotaku.

Boyes explained that Sony are working on trying to get games that have been requested by fans on to Sony platforms.

"We've got a massive list—we're calling everyone trying to get that list as much as possible. A lot of issues come around clearances or intellectual property ownerships and stuff like that."

Interestingly, for Shenmue and Yakuza fans, Boyes says it is those games that Sony are focusing on.

"We get a ton of requests for Yakuza, a ton of requests for Shenmue. We see the lists," Boyes said.

"We have a person that compiles those lists and prioritises based on how many requests we've gotten. And I think to date there's well over 10,000 mentions across like forum threads and stuff like that. So those are the ones we're focused on."

Boyes also commented on when fans should expect to start to see the result of Sony's work getting ports onto PlayStation platforms.

"I would say within the next six months we'll have at least one if not a few announcements to make on that front."

Edited by Goro
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I agree with Polar, if they go through with this and we see Shenmue, even just the old ones while we wait for a new instalment would just push Sony out as the platform that listens to fans and delivers instead of "yeah we've heard you and will take it under advisement" like most do!