How bad is your trophy hunting?

Crespelio-X12

So the question for the debate is the following: have you ever gotten out of your way in a game to get a trophy? Of course you have. But have you ever stopped any instance of your social life so you could get a trophy? Like are you willing to get Mortal Kombat like 24 hour grinds? Spend most of your money on bad games with easy plats? Actually play a game then plat it so you can squeeze extra life out of it? Don't play games without plats or they're unobtainable? 

Personally I play games and try to only plat what I like but I admit I have a slight OCD to plat very old games I have lingering on the account (example LBP Vita and Persona 4 though I've done shit in the past and would make plat time even longer)

On 27/03/2021 at 5:38 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I've been keeping alive a daily trophy streak for the better part of 6 years now. I get at least one trophy every day. Obviously, this causes issues when I go on trips and the like.

I used to have a similar goal too, now I just focus on progressing for the plats even if anything doesnt pop

If its a game I really want to play, I'll play it and try to aim for the platinum but if it doesnt happen, it doesnt happen. However, games I play in the interim of waiting for those games I check the guides and only play them if I can be bothered to get the plat. I have (seemingly out of nowhere) started caring about getting 100%, I was never bothered before and only really aimed for the plat, this unfortunate change of mind made me purchase the DLC for Tropico 5 for not only me but also my friend as I needed him for the MP trophies. That is to date, my biggest shame haha. 

I recently started getting into trophy hunting after having been big into achievement hunting and then taking a hiatus from gaming. Since I've basically started from scratch (minus a few old PS3 games I had on my account and trying to clean up), I want to focus on maintaining a high completion percentage. This has caused me to carefully look at the difficulty of each platinum which does sway me in whether I want to start any game. I have to admit at this point I'm turned off by a game if the platinum looks fairly unobtainable or overly burdensome to obtain. Maybe that'll change once I have a nice long list of platinums but I don't want to fall behind with a bunch of games with only a fraction of trophies and feeling like I need to go back and do a bunch of clean-up.

Based on what you described, not that bad. I would never waste money on shit easy games just for trophies, and I would not sacrifice my work or social for trophies. I just hunt trophies in my gaming time, which I allocate each day after I get other stuff done (work, gym, cooking etc). It's everything in moderation for me.

The only thing is that I tend to not buy games and avoid games where the platinum is unobtainable, has online trophies or is just too hard/takes hundereds of hours. The only exception to this is the KH and Tales games which I play anyway regardless of the platinum difficulty as I love these games, but for other games I look at the trophy list to help me decide if I should buy it or not. 

Ever stopped any instance of your social life so you could get a trophy?

Not really. I always have work and relationships (either family or friends) as a priority rather than trophy hunting. It's fun, but if I had to do 1 week/ month without it I could definitely handle myself.

Spend most of your money on bad games with easy plats?

Absolutely not. I have some games that are considered 'easy plats' but I never buy games just for the trophies. I buy them because they seem interesting to me or they create a certain 'hype' that makes me want to play them.

Actually play a game then plat it so you can squeeze extra life out of it?

As I write this I have 119 games played with 38 games completed. I regret some of them but I absolutely have some games in there I would play again even if it weren't for the trophies! But to me a game isn't 100% done/ completed if there's still trophies to be earned. I'd say you pay for a full experience then why not play the full experience and try every challenge, every collectible or every difficulty there is?

Don't play games without plats or they're unobtainable?

Sadly, yes. Final Fantasy 15 is a great example where I found out the comrades DLC trophies are unobtainable so I just sold the game knowing I would never be able to 100% the game. Mad Max is another example where servers got closed and I couldn't get the platinum anymore. I like playing games but I HATE the fact I won't be able to complete a game so I don't bother anymore.

Edited by its_ArchroniX

Not really that bad, I don't really prioritize gaming over my social life. However, this past year with COVID, I don't have a social life anyways so I've upped my gaming time a lot since I'm super bored just staying at home with nothing better to do.

I don't play games that have any unobtainable trophies since I try to 100% every game I play. I've 100% every game I've played ever since I started gaming like 25 years ago so this habit naturally transferred over to trophies. I also avoid any game where the only reason to purchase them is for a platinum trophy like those Ratalaika games/My Name is Mayo type of games. I mainly only play games I like, but this past year I've been really enjoying hunting for Ultra Rare trophies. My goal is to get to 1000 total Ultra Rare trophies by the end of this month.

I guess the worst thing I've done is buy a 2nd PS3 and a turbo controller for $100 around 2 years ago to make my life easier for grindy/online trophies, but it's not that bad since I've saved a ton of time by making this investment. I never bought a 2nd PS4 though since PS5's are backwards compatible with PS4. I just got a PS5 around 2 weeks ago in preparation for FF7 Remake Integrade and have been putting it to good use to boost multiplayer PS4 games. Just turbo'd Injustice level 100 over a 48 hour period and I didn't even have to be there!

Edited by Thedah
  • Like 1

Considering I booted up a brand new launch title for the PS5(Destruction All-Stars) intending to get the platinum and you can’t even find a match to boost in because the game is just that dead, it’s not going so good haha