Love survival horror games but not this one

K_e_r_c_k_11

Played this game on PC and my other ps4/ps3 account and I had to admit its not the RE4 clone I expected. I've done all DLC trophies, hopefully the main game would be a piece of cake(except it isn't).

Have to play this game again and get the platinum cause I couldn't wait any longer for the lockdown to be over. I want those STRESSFUL times that I experienced 5 years ago whilst playing this mind numbing, NOT dumb fun action game. 

Evil Within 2 was surprisingly a great game imo, its better than the first one but like its predecessor, the story is weird and not enjoyable (*cough*cough* TLoU 2)

Hopefully I'll try to enjoy playing it this time unlike the first time I've played it

• Like 2

I feel ya buddy, horror games my favorite genre since 00s and I've played a lot horror games, A LOT, but The Evil Within?

Man, it's so mediocre and predictable,like someone tried to fit as many cliches as possible into 8 hours of game-play.

That story telling fact with characters disappearing and re-appearing from nowhere when designers wanted to, frustrated me a lot, I don't even understand why it's survival horror, it's more like generic TPS with B-movie plot.

You can still enjoy this title, especially boss fights are kinda fun, but my overall experience nothing more than 4/10. (DLCs are more enjoyable than game itself too).

Also, it really feels game tries to be "Resident Evil 4" wanna-be, but doesn't come close to perfect shooting rhythm mechanics and adrenaline-filled arena fights we had in RE4.

• Like 2

I have to admit, I preferred the gameplay more than the story of The Evil Within. The concept was really cool and the way it revolved around sanity and psychology was fantastic as were the majority of the boss encounters. But the way the story was told wasn't as well executed as the gameplay and level design.

Also, I don't know if it was the frame rate and/or the piercing brightness of the light sources in the game, but this so far has been the only game in existence to give me intermittent headaches and photosensitivity playing it, even in short sessions. There is something about the way light sources are in this game that hit me hard, I still have no idea why. No game before that or after it had the same effect. I even went back to finish The Executioner DLC, and I had to stop again as it was having a similar effect.

I thought the storytelling in Evil Within 2 was way way tighter and I dug the more open hub levels too. It also didn't give me headaches and photosensitivity, which was nice ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I absoluyely love the Evil Within games. The first game is my favorite. The story can be weird until you get to the end and it explains why the atmosphere is so strange. The first encounter with the chainsaw meatcutter is tense as hell trying to sneak past him. The 2nd game fell off a little with the semi open world theme. Survival horror just doesnt work as well. Hortor games need to have you feeling claustorphobic with nowhere to go. 

Evil within is a must play and if u are diehard... beating it in Akuma mode is brutally challenging and satisfyijg.

• Like 2

I actually beat akumu on my old account hidden_gamer_88 and i got a say when i beat it 1st time on that account, i was really stuck on ch.6 and 11.  Ill never forget it. This other day i beat akumu in like 2.5 days, made chapter 6 and 11. In like 3,4 tries. 

It wasnt bad at all this time. Its like its easier than it was 7yrs ago.

17 hours ago, DividedByMankind said:

This other day i beat akumu in like 2.5 days, made chapter 6 and 11. In like 3,4 tries. 

It wasnt bad at all this time. Its like its easier than it was 7yrs ago.

Since it's probably still fresh in your mind, do you remember which Green Gel upgrades you invested in for Akumu?

Edited by bikeman223

it's probably one of the best survival horrors out there, just become adept at throwing bottles and you're good to go. honestly the only bad thing is trying to disarm all the traps for parts in akumu, so annoying. still always managed it though even though it's not a trophy requirement i just love being well prepared in those types of game.

as for things like the laura boss fight on akumu. you can just shoot the fire faucets with a standard crossbow bolt and it will light them for you without having to shoot the lever, back yourself into a corner and relight it every time she comes close. easily killed her. atleast in the second fight the first fight is just a simple case of running.

this will be the only video you need, other then collectibles etc. also when you play akumu save before using your keys, and reload till you gobble up the green gels first.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

It's a shame. Shinji Mikami copied most what was in RE 4 and added some feels of Silent Hill without knowing how those titles properly worked. He had everything going for him in RE 4, but the lightning doesn't always strike twice. There is a great game underneath here and with proper tweaking it could have resulted in a fantastic game, but sadly it's pretty mediocre. 

Sequel improved a lot of things, but I have yet to play so I can't comment on that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

It's a shame. Shinji Mikami copied most what was in RE 4 and added some feels of Silent Hill without knowing how those titles properly worked. He had everything going for him in RE 4, but the lightning doesn't always strike twice. There is a great game underneath here and with proper tweaking it could have resulted in a fantastic game, but sadly it's pretty mediocre. 

Sequel improved a lot of things, but I have yet to play so I can't comment on that. 

RE4 was a 1 and done affair for me, all flash and no substance, the enemies were weird and boring. only the village was good, and the best part was the return after dark, literally every other area ecept for the mines were forgettable and drawn out way beyond their use-by date. and i could never bring myself to get past the village after finishing it once. The best thing was the perspective change, the worst were awful puzzles, annoying babysitting, the entire cultist area is awful and generally kills my mood long before it's over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

RE4 was a 1 and done affair for me, all flash and no substance, the enemies were weird and boring. only the village was good, and the best part was the return after dark, literally every other area ecept for the mines were forgettable and drawn out way beyond their use-by date. and i could never bring myself to get past the village after finishing it once. The best thing was the perspective change, the worst were awful puzzles, annoying babysitting, the entire cultist area is awful and generally kills my mood long before it's over.

Ok, I completely and strongly disagree with that. I think RE 4 has one of the best level designs that doesn't overstays it's welcome and it gives you enough time to breath before putting you back in action. Too bad, cause castle chapters are some of the best in the game with great settings and action that varies. Also, who doesn't like to suplex monks over and over again? The island section is fairly dragging, but it turns around with the introduction of the regenerators that are still one of the best RE enemies today. 
Puzzles weren't overly distracting to break the flow of the game
Ashley's "babysitting" gets way overexaggerated as being bad and people simply not knowing what to do
The entire cultist area is amazing and it's one of the reasons to go back to replay it.
RE 4 still holds up today and it's a great time to replay it given how much fun the combat is. 

15 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Ok, I completely and strongly disagree with that. I think RE 4 has one of the best level designs that doesn't overstays it's welcome and it gives you enough time to breath before putting you back in action. Too bad, cause castle chapters are some of the best in the game with great settings and action that varies. Also, who doesn't like to suplex monks over and over again? The island section is fairly dragging, but it turns around with the introduction of the regenerators that are still one of the best RE enemies today. 
Puzzles weren't overly distracting to break the flow of the game
Ashley's "babysitting" gets way overexaggerated as being bad and people simply not knowing what to do
The entire cultist area is amazing and it's one of the reasons to go back to replay it.
RE 4 still holds up today and it's a great time to replay it given how much fun the combat is. 

Other than performance issues Evil Within is great and managed to keep a good balance between survival and pew pew pew unlike RE4 which imho is one of the most overrated games in history, it's a really good game but it's not like the second coming of Christ like most people say, tbh I far prefer Evil Within over the second game and RE4, just my two cents.

Edit: I didn't mean to quote you, I was just replying to op, sorry.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

Since it's probably still fresh in your mind, do you remember which Green Gel upgrades you invested in for Akumu?

I did it without investing any green gel. Saved me a extra playthrough?

2 hours ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Copied? RE4 was made by him. Other than the village, i cant see annything copied like. So since he made RE4, in my opinion it is ok that Evil within looks a little bit close to it?

37 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

I did it without investing any green gel. Saved me a extra playthrough1f44d.png

Copied? RE4 was made by him. Other than the village, i cant see annything copied like. So since he made RE4, in my opinion it is ok that Evil within looks a little bit close to it1f44d.png

You also know that you can copy your own work right? ? Directors of their own movies are especially guilty of this. Not that there is a major issues in that, it's just when I have a title that did this much better, I'm gonna compare it. There are segments that reminded of "Ohhh, that's like in RE 4, but worse". 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

I did it without investing any green gel. Saved me a extra playthrough1f44d.png

Copied? RE4 was made by him. Other than the village, i cant see annything copied like. So since he made RE4, in my opinion it is ok that Evil within looks a little bit close to it1f44d.png

agreed if mikami copied anything, I'd say it'd be dagon or some other such inspired HP lovecraft story, about an outsider coming to a small rural tight knit community where they have some dark secret. and it was the best part of the game imo. but the island filled with army dudes was almost as bad as the cultist castle just, shorter.

the game wasn't difficult. except on professional which was a good challenge i must admit. it was very well made in that sense, but that is what shinji has always been about. which is why The Evil Within was his best work imo, of recent days anyway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

agreed if mikami copied anything, I'd say it'd be dagon or some other such inspired HP lovecraft story, about an outsider coming to a small rural tight knit community where they have some dark secret. and it was the best part of the game imo. but the island filled with army dudes was almost as bad as the cultist castle just, shorter.

the game wasn't difficult. except on professional which was a good challenge i must admit. it was very well made in that sense, but that is what shinji has always been about. which is why The Evil Within was his best work imo, of recent days anyway.

Yeah! I wish he was still doing RE.  He made the best RE in my opinion. Such masterpieces. Even Evil within so thats why Ghostwire tokyo is day 1 buy for me?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

Yeah! I wish he was still doing RE.  He made the best RE in my opinion. Such masterpieces. Even Evil within so thats why Ghostwire tokyo is day 1 buy for me1f917.png

yeah it looks good, I'd prefer TEW 3 but it'll be xbox exclusive won't it. so

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

10 hours ago, DividedByMankind said:

Yeah, nothing was "copied". RE4 and TEW play incredibly different from each other. Enemy design and weapon behavior alone are not alike.

I guess because it's a third person survival horror game, he "copied" RE4. Just simply a moronic and vacuous statement. 

Edited by CelestialRequiem
  • Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 6:09 PM, bikeman223 said:

Focus the upgrades on your stamina, flash bolts, electric bolts, freeze bolts and matches. DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR REVOLVER AND SHOTGUN.

Save some green gel for ammo upgrades as well. If you have the incendiary bolts then it'll be easier for you to instakill a LOT of enemies.